Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I was thinking of buying this game this weekend, so disappointed to see the low thread rating and a lot of complaining. Just had a few quesitons about the investment:

Is the game rewarding to play? Highs and lows or just a grind?
Is there a time commitment to it? Can I just play the odd 1-4 hours here and there? I just spent a year playing Rust solo and the thing that has burnt me out is the amount of time needed to get of the ground and maintain a base.
Is playing solo viable or is it basically that the bigger group wins 9/10? Are your gains from playing as a group tied to each other? Eg. Quest/story progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for the info. Bought it now (loving expensive for a Beta lol!). I'll join the discord but will probably play a few weeks to get the super basics out of the way.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Is there a good map for Reserve?

I've been using https://mapgenie.io/tarkov/maps/woods for the others, but Reserve is paywalled.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I am majorly stuck on Sanitary Standards part II. Are there any almost guaranteed spawns for gas analysers?

I feel like I have looted 30+ tech crates, countless toolboxes and I've run the tech stores and OLI a dozen times. I think I found one in a stash somewhere and another in a filing cabinet but died before exfil.

The fixed-spawn fetch quests (Checking, Delivery from the Past etc) I've done in one attempt, but this RNG stuff is giving me a headache. Jaeger's ones were also ridiculous. I think I must have opened 20+ ration crates to find the final stew that I needed.

VVVVV The biggest collection of those are the bunker on Reserve, right?

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 5, 2021

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I only started playing a few weeks ago and I'm liking it other than a few frustrations. It can be really poo poo getting stuck, but it is rewarding to finally get through a tough objective or fight. I think I have just accepted that other players are largely undefeatable with my current bankroll/skill.

Customs is a pretty rough map but I tend to go at night and don't hang around Dorms or Construction too long. In, do the quest, GTFO. I found a marked key quite early on but haven't had the bottle to risk running it yet.

Can anyone reconmmend cheap gun builds for early on? Pestily recommended the SKS, but I just can't use it so I've given up there. I am liking the PP-19. You can get one with a suppressor and reflex for about 45K all-in, but the problem is I think PST GZH doesn't do much against class 3+ armours.

I guess the real question is what is a good value ammo? Something that does well against say class 4, but doesn't cost 1K per round.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Have had to start grinding FiR graphics cards for the quest. Having to carve my way through so many naked/pistol duos. Was Interchange like this before BTC went nuts?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Orv posted:

I mean things having a larger internal inventory in grid spaces/size than they take up themselves.

Most rigs will have more item space than the rig occupies itself, so it is usually best to put a dead player's rig into your backpack to increase capacity.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
So from what I can tell and based on today's prices, if I set up a BTC farm with one GPU it will pay for itself in 9-10 days. However each additional GPU will take 69 days to pay for itself.

Is there any rumour on when the next wipe will be? I feel like it will be less than 2 months so it probably is worth just selling additional GPUs as long as they are so overvalued.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've decided to just go full scav-on-scav. Other player scavs just cannot be trusted.

I just somehow spent 10mins matchmaking into a reserve scav run only to be shot in the back by a player scav one minute in. Does this mean that reserve has hundreds of player scavs or did we all get stuck in a queue together or what?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I've found the mapgenie site to be really helpful as a newbie https://mapgenie.io/tarkov

Just got head/jaw'd from about 100m by buckshot fired by a scav running backwards. Was en route to extract with two quest items.

Enough Tarkov for today!

VVVVV Lol the guy was basically a smudge on my screen. I don't really know how he aggro'd on me. Thought he was a player scav at first but no report button.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 19, 2021

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
When they say new unity engine, does that mean prettier or better performance (or both)? My PC barely runs this sometimes. It runs Rust really, really well

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
You can also make money from the bitcoin farm and the workbench/intel centre, so there is an incentive to get those asap.

I havn't found much from the other hidout functions that are profitable. Any suggestions?

I make 9x19 6.3 on the workbench and flash drives on the intel centre.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I watched two minutes of AquaFPS on twitch.tv and he reached through the screen and shaved my mustache into a toothbrush and made me download Mein Kampf from Audible.

Pretty POG!

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'm pretty new to the game, but i think the late flea is a good idea. Today's raids have been much more interesting than the late-wipe, one tap situation, so hopefully this change will extend that.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Captain Gordon posted:

The karma system is hot trash.

I got jumped by some degenerate pscav in factory after wiggling while i had a bag full of bolts, had to kill him in self defence, -0.02 rep. Ok cool.

Except now every factory scav aggroed. Long story short, after a classic factory scav massacre i have 0.02 rep left with Fence, which means

1) less extractions
2) bad gear
3) more jams
4) 1 scav kill away from being tagged and cursed

Great loving system. Simply loving amazing.

Edit: they want this poo poo for pmcs too, eventually. Great loving idea - hows that going to work on servers that have 70% usecs? Jesus christ.

Pretty sure that's a bug.

I am one of those degenerate pscavs. Is there a guide anywhere of how the new karma system works? already at -0.06 i think

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Aren't Scavs supposed to be civillian SCAVengers? from a role playing POV you probably shouldn't be engaging heavily geared soldiers

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I feel like people are taking video games too seriously ITT

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Squee posted:

I enjoy having to find things myself, over just buying then from the market. Last wipe was my first but I am enjoying this time just as much. It might help that I am sliiiiiiiiightly less dogshit at the game now too.

Same. Now I don't have to continuously tab in and out to look at an online map which helps

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Ragman sells a rig that gives you 10 slots for 6. I think that's the best option eary. MPPV is the dream.

I've found that almost no-one runs interchange at night which is weird because it is pretty much just the same inside. Scav runs have literally no one in the looking for group list.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Lol this game is 99% rats right now. Can't remember the last time I died to someone who pushed me and wasn't just in a bush/dark corner

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I like the lvl 20 flea market change but my stash is so loving full. I'm not sure how you would get the lvl 2 stash efficiently without the inflated prices of items. don't want to have to sell 250 condensed milk.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I played Warzone for a few months with some friends and it made me appreciate the sound in Tarkov. Someone can be walking on your head in that game and you wouldn't hear them.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Taken me too long to realise how lucrative loot runs on Shoreline are.

Theres a line to take through the Villa and the village which has about 4-5 caches, a dozen jackets and 4 safes. Almost never people there either.

Easily 500K+ per run

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Reserve is mad as a PMC. I only go there if i need to.

Is there a strategy for going solo other than getting insane at PVP?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Is RB-ST worth looting? I bought the key for the quests and the wiki mentions a bunch of high-end loot spawns, but I don't think i've ever found more than a vog and an AK in there.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

hello internet posted:

It’s a nice key to find or sell but I’m not sure if buying expensive keys are worth it typically for loot

Depends. Key with blue tape is def worth it for LedEx. It is almost never open when i go there. Dorm's marked room is too competative for me to to get out alive consistantly. The red keycard spawn rooms are not worth it unless you want to do weeks of runs or happen to do well at roulette.

There's supposed to be two AESA and two mil battery spawns in RB-ST but i've been there four times and found literally no loose loot three times and think i found a pack of BT once. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but i feel like those two items should be hard to miss because of their size.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I'd like to see an event where traders buy high end ammo at inflated prices. There is already so much M61 and 7.62BP flying around.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
The vanilla dehydration/hunger rate does feel a little pointless tbh. I rarely get to zero if i start a raid at 100 and if i can just top up in the menu why bother having food and drink in the game.

It only really becomes a factor if your abdomen gets blacked out.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I didn't even know about the rep bonus. Yeah that and the gamma are a huge leg up. Jaeger quests all give about 0.02 rep and are combat oriented so he is a big pain in the arse.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Is popping Sanitar with a bolty a good strategy or do bosses have super-human vision?

I've not hunted bosses before so not really sure of the best way to get them.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

It's....just finishing Punisher Pt 6

No it's handing over the container. Although you would just do it when you are however many XP off of KAPPA, so a bit dumb.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Is there anything available at LL1 for everyone but Prapor? I have the same issue with the M4 I've been stuffing mods onto.

MK12 is lvl1 Mechanic

https://escapefromtarkov.fandom.com/wiki/MK12_Low_Profile_Gas_Block

VVVVVV Ah right. Misread and thought you were talking about your M4. Looks like you need to change the barrel on that HK and those are not available until fleamarket/LVL 3 Mechanic.

Incoming Chinchilla fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 23, 2021

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Get rid of the flea altogether imo

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I have some bad news about those corrugated hoses.

Sugar has gone mental in the last two weeks though. I sold mine when it hit 30K :(

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

IAmThatIs posted:

So I’ve heard this game is pay to win. But it looks like money just gets you more/guaranteed storage and cheaper stores?
If i buy the cheapest version, would i be able to run around with basic AKs and shoot people? As far as I’m concerned 7.62x39 is god’s own caliber, so I would probably just “main” that. If i sell everything that isn’t 7.62x39, i could purchase 7.62 as needed?

It won't really help you win a fight but the benefits of the higher priced versions will make your life easier. Stash space can be really tight early on and the increased container size means you should come out of most raids with something to help you in the hideout and will mean you almost never loose your expensive meds.

The increased trader reputation means that you would unlock better guns and ammo from them earlier. However, once you hit lvl. 20 you unlock the flea where you can buy anything you want but for a higher price.

Edit: I don't think it's worth anywhere near the higher price (disclaimer: I have the standard version)

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I still haven’t picked this game up but it’s been on my radar for a while but how correct is this video?

https://youtu.be/4BbDNNxi8rM

He makes a claim (from a hacker who wants to sell hacks) that half of raids have another blatant hacker in them. I don't really buy that.

There is a RMT economy fueled by hackers and the map Labs is a huge draw for them, but there are plenty of streamers that play 8+ hours of Labs every day and are not running into hackers anywhere near half the time.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

LGD posted:

conversely I’ll say “gently caress mosins,” the secret is using a bare VPO-215 with .366 AP ammo on factory, it’s dirt cheap to run it back however many times you need, factory tends to have a reasonable number of naked people even with the changes (though your experience will vary based on time into the wipe, idk how it is right now), and .366 AP does a much better job OHKing people’s torso though moderate armor than any of the 7.62x54R ammunition

the quest is still obnoxious mind you, but this makes it fairly easy to bang out via sheer attrition even if you’re having a bad day

This is the correct answer. Plus if you take a Obrez it's 100% going in someone's backpack, while no-one is gonna let a beaten up VPO take up a weapon slot.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Come on Santa, give me some found in raid flash drives. I haven't seen a single one this wipe.

I currently have a quest, from Skier, to kill 85 Scavs with three flash drives as a reward, lol.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

How many days do you have for that? You could absolutely grind it out anywhere but Shoreline (not sure about Lighthouse as I haven't played it yet).

6 or 7. Easy if you have the time but i am obviously busy this week.

I don't know the best map tbh. On Factory I would have to wipe the server in order to farm them. I think Customs is best bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Survivalist Path - Tough Guy might be bugged. I killed the requisite three scavs and extracted via the car only to not see a kill count screen and leave with 63xp.

I had a similar thing happen with the headshot/tremor one. The PMCs were not on the summary screen, but i did complete the quest.