Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm just finishing up a masters that is purely focused on online bullshit, and while it stop being directly about online radicalization halfway through Hakimashou has the right idea here. I don't think that twitch streamers are "funding" the online fash or anything, but those spaces are absolutely avenues for radicalization and recruitment. It doesn't take much for some kid who is into Tarkov or whatever to find an online forum full of helpful people with "funny memes" and slowly (or not so slowly) get radicalized when it turns out they're fash. A lot of people don't see the racism, misogyny, anti-semitism, nationalism, etc, in the jokes and memes and only see the humor, and that starts them down the path. Or, they see the people in the community they want to join enjoying the humor and imitate it, also starting down the path to radicalization.

I don't think Tarkov is the fash game for fash scum or anything but it 100% is the type of place that serves as a fertile breeding ground for the worst parts of humanity, both online and off, and ignoring it only emboldens it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Orv posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing against that point after the last four years of seeing people continually radicalized online and Twitch and Tarkov definitely have immensely toxic communities that could serve as places to further or begin someone's radicalization.

I also don't think Hakimashou is doing this posting in remotely good faith, so.

I see. New to the thread and his posting so I don't have that sort of context, but I see too many people not taking Online seriously enough and I am compelled to push back on it, hence my input. Makes me wish my work had stayed focused on the radicalization bit so I could have something more to add but I guess thats what future work is for.

Anyways this game is good and tough and I'm liking. I got adopted by two rando chads on Reserve who saw me sitting in a corner with just a pistol. I waited for them to murder me and didn't try to fight back and they invited me along; really need to learn the built in communication system so I can do more than just wiggle and smash Y (if there is more). It was a cool, classic multiplayer-without-voice-comms moment like in the mid 2000s. A lot of wiggling and jumping and meleeing things to communicate, I love that poo poo. Gotta play with goons sometime! I'm in the discord but haven't had a moment to jump into any games.

Russian Remoulade posted:

Several of my friends keep badgering me to play this but based on the OP it seems like you need to invest serious time learning maps and systems before you reach the point where you can reliably shoot mans and take their stuff: is there any way to enjoy this semi-casually and get player kills or should I not bother if the lack of ingame map already sounds tedious?

Maybe I have more tolerance for this but I haven't found the learning to be too awful. I've mostly stuck to reserve and customs so far, with a bit of woods but learning the maps by simply playing them comes naturally. I've been playing for a few days and feel like I can navigate customs without a map, and know the names of most of the exfils. Don't have all the loot spawn locations memorized or anything but I think it is fun and intense without that level of mastery. I think enjoyment could def be had without ultimate mastery, which, in the case of this game counts as "casual". I will say that if you don't want to get murdered instantly all the time, you can't go into it playing unfocused or with a podcast on or anything like that.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I was having absolutely nightmarish hitching in the game, mostly on reserve, but lowering the textures to medium / increasing page file to 16gb has totally smoothed it out. Got a ryzen 5 5600x myself. RTX 2060 for gpu.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Danknificent posted:

Noob question: what does playing with goons look like in this game? I'm thinking about joining the discord tomorrow, but I just got the game and I am hilariously inept. Can groups spawn together or do you have to find each other? I wouldn't want to be a liability. I have good to excellent competitive FPS street cred, but I'm not too proud to admit when I'm in over my head, and this game has me :psyduck:

I'm also a new player and the goons are very nice and helpful. Some of them gave me very good guns and I have held onto those and not lost (all) of them yet. We can help you do quests and whatnot too. It's chill.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Danknificent posted:

So even though I'm almost always dying, I'm taking my main guy in over and over for XP. Do I have this right: get XP, get flea market, then I can use the flea market to get the stuff to build out the hideout?

I really enjoy scavving. I seem to survive more that way.

I've also learned that it seems worth a few bucks to just slap a basic optic on whatever longarm I'm taking with me.

Buying the stuff for the hideout tends to be much more expensive than just finding it yourself. The flea market is most your money comes from; from selling poo poo to other players. I really like it, stuff gets bought fast.

Run your scav when they're off the cool-down every chance you get, they're free money if you can escape and an excellent way to learn the map.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

gently caress I'm at work and don't want to be I wanna play the new patch

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

rap music posted:

any tips for interchange? i'm new to the map and trying to gather the manifests is kicking my rear end

I'm a useless noob so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd say don't feel about grabbing one manifest and bailing rather than going for all of them and getting smoked. Also player scavs are sticking together so they're traveling in bigger packs these days; watch out for that.

I also feel like the Emercom exit is the hottest one by far. I'd play it safe and head up to railroad exfil if you have the time and energy to take it a bit slower.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Franks Happy Place posted:

Just Scavved into Reserve at the 41:30 mark and am currently hiding in a corner while two (three?) weirdos off in the distance take turns tapping out "shave and a haircut, two bits" with rifle fire.

This game, man

trying to lure out Roger Rabbit

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Sometimes I know there is an enemy nearby before I'm killed, and SOMETIMES I can even shoot my gun before I'm killed :)

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ShowTime posted:

The amount of poo poo I could hear drastically changed when I actually got good headphones. A complete world of difference. Not only of what new sounds I could hear but being able to pin point where those sounds were coming from.

I look at people using little ear buds and recognize why they are playing uber chad. If they could hear what I hear, they'd play differently but also have way more success. Just being able to know where someone is lets you play in a different style.

Got a head set recommendation?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Thank you all for the headphone recs! I'll start doing my shopping soon. I'm eyeing one that does not have a built in mic, like the ADX series cause they look great. I have a Blue Yeti for my desktop mic which is fantastic so I'm not worried about that.

Right now I'm just using my SoundPEATS, which is what I use for music and walking around and work purposes (these things are a excellent for being able to put one in and have comms with a coworker as we troubleshoot various parts of a transmission line or something).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

A cool thing about playing USEC on the Tarkov singleplayer mod is that all the AI USEC PMCs emote when you first shoot then complaining and telling you to stop shooting and it makes them all sound like whiney gamers

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Oh drat I didn't know I could change that. Half the time I'm walking up behind them and just cap them in the back of the head, I can't tell if the AI can hear me sprinting around like a madman or not. Absolutely going to be building up some training scars here, although I am getting way better at insta-gunning down fools.

Also decided to stop spawning in Hoards of Impossible AI. As cool as it is to have dudes to constantly shoot, its murdering my framerate and also half the time the exfil is camped by a wall of a dozen scavs to instagib me.

Is the loot model defaulting to being extremely generous? I'm seeing things I almost never see in real-world servers, like intel and tank batteries.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Atlas_Quinn posted:

Ugh... I wish I could play this game still.. Feel like I'm going to have a loving heart attack every time I play it so my doctor told me to stop. >.<

Player the single player mod. Waaaaay more chill.

https://hub.sp-tarkov.com/

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

They should have an event where counterfeit AP ammo makes its way into Tarkov and there is a random chance that the AP ammo you find is on par with the starter ammos and there is no way of telling if its good or not.

Really gently caress with people. Let chaos reign.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ScavCell, the #1 cell phone provider for Scavs in the greater Tarkov region!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Do a lot of people play this game with postFX colour jacked up? Interchange has never looked this bright for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQJQM4CHPX4

I know a lot of people turn the shadows down as far as they go, it dramatically increases visibility in the dark parking garage.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Haven't touched Tarkov in months and yet I still have The Dreams

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Why do you post like you're on 4chan in the mid-2000s?

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

was about to ask wtf happened to the economy, everything is like 2 roubles.... this is due to the reset I guess? I know nothing about this game.

Yeah right before wipes they gently caress around with weird settings.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Jesus Christ, shut the gently caress up.

:yeah:

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Scavs: "That idiot is not wearing armor! I hope he likes magnum buck to the chest."

This is every time I try to do that quest.

The original "I hope he magnum buck to chest" felt more authentic to scav experience, somehow.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

It probably was, but when I woke up this morning and looked at what I posted again I couldn't bear to see that typo :smith:.

Internalized Scavophobia gets the best of all of us at times.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Was just scavving on customs when I came across the giant christmas tree in the middle of dorms, with two scavs circling it counter-clockwise while aiming at the sky. They periodically would start firing off rounds for a bit on and off again. Weird as hell.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 26, 2021

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

house of the dad posted:

Anybody else having issues with microstuttering in this game? It's been a constant thing for me but seems even worse lately. I'm on a 2070 and 9700k and it's starting to get extremely frustrating. Not an issue anywhere else except for Tarkov.

Had that problem when I first started too. Turned down various graphic settings till it went away, no clue what though. Try the usual suspects first (also if you turn down shadows all the way you'll gain a tactical advantage in dark environments!)

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I love VoIP. So many questing players deciding not to choose violence when given the means to do so. Twice in one raid, even.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Absolutely love how many times I can politely ask the people kicking the poo poo out of me to stop shooting me and they apologize and stop.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Playing Tarkov single player mod while the servers were dead makes me even more pro-intertia than I was before. The single player mod isn't up-to-date yet with recent changes so everything suddenly feels way too loose and floaty, just gliding over the ground. The intertia honestly feels good.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Pondering what a scav mode where you play as the guys who get the insurance items back would be like.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

All PMCs should be buddies. I should be able to hold hands with other PMCs. I want peace to reign at last in Tarkov. I want Kojima to create a special cutscene for Tarkov that plays only when all players are nice to each other.

gently caress scavs tho

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Also I'm terrible at the PVP and the only way I have survived encounters with other player is via VoIP and asking them not to kill me. This in no way effects my desire for PMCs to be friendly (to me).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Same here. I don't know why but I always feel like I can't see the person shooting me/off in the distance. Been playing first person shooters my whole life and this is the only game I have this struggle with (so far).

For myself, I think a huge factor is rushing too much, making too much noise, and always being the one surprised by the enemy rather than knowing someone is nearby ahead of time. I've been trying to slow myself down and having a slightly better result because of it. Also, need to stop fidgeting around. I know its an issue when playing with other goons and they can't listen for the enemy cause i keep shuffling around nonstop.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Chad playstyles are all about PVP. Rat playstyles are also, sorta, in a way about PVP, except thats mostly being about avoiding it at all costs. The PVE is no joke either, those scavs can still ruin your day, and the bosses and raiders are worse.

I think even just playing the single player mod will get yours moneys worth. Really loving switching between it and active online.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

For single player mod guys: Are you doing anything to mess with AI difficulty? I've used Fin's AI tweaks before but it turns everything into turbo-death gods that 360 no scope your head-eyes from across the map instantly.

I'd like something to make things a bit tougher than baseline, but not instant death bad. But, I guess theres only so much you can do with tools available to use.

Also, that questmania mod is great. Making me shoot armored up PMCs with a rinky-dink Toz loaded with like, 3.5mm buckshot is mean. That poo poo is just a gentle breeze to scavs let alone anything with armor.

Edit: Bot difficulty - What is the difference between As Online, hard, impossible, etc

Wrr fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 10, 2022

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Every since they buffed the ammo (and the gun itself) the VPO has been a fantastic gun.

It always surprises me how loving loud that thing is

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Are there doors you just cant breach? Or am i just not kicking this door enough?

Ive kicked it like 10 times

you should kick it some more. Its gonna give way soon bro I promise

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

lol pigs falling for the ol' "door painted onto a concrete wall" trick.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

my fun story is I killed Reshala and Killa in the same raid thanks to the magic of the single-player mod and the mods for it as well.

Want a good time? Set the chance for spawn for all the bosses to 100% for a map and each time you kill one another will spawn.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I’m really just wondering about how some of the details of SPT work and it seems weirdly difficult to learn without joining yet another Discord server, or maybe I’m just not looking in the right place. But stuff like how it handles quests that need PMC kills or tags, what happens to your single player progress when EFT updates the mod updates and you update the mod, if there’s some kind of simulated flea market, or if you need to do those kinds of things through additional mods. All I can find is the vague features list that suggests stuff but doesn’t spell it out.

There are mods you can download that allow you to customize a ton of stuff regarding what happens in raid. For some quests, like kill x number of raiders for example (mostly those added by that mod that adds 8000+ quests) I can toggle a setting to make ALL scavs raiders, and then go hop into woods and snipe them or something. Changing the ratio of scavs to PMCs so its almost all PMCs and then setting bot amounts high helps with the jaeger kill pmcs in the office stuff.

One of the customizing mods I have lets you edit the specifics of the flea market, such as how long items might take to sell, general rates, etc. The flea items tend to be way cheaper than online, so if you want a more online experience you can bump it up.

I honestly really like the mod and just hope that they manage to figure out a way to get the AI to path across the map. PMCs are just special scavs so they only spawn in scav locations, leading to weird things like crack house on customs being one of the safest places in the map.

For a real good time, set boss spawn rate to 100 and then allow any boss to spawn on any map. Hell make them all spawn, back to back to back, one at a time. Boss Rush mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Does the laser module or front sight post get in the way of the acog?