Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

i vomit kittens posted:

Does Tarkov usually go on sale for Christmas? I have a couple friends I want to pick up copies for but I've been waiting for a price drop it it's coming.

https://twitter.com/bstategames/status/1342501616541442048

Edit: Looks like the discord link in the OP and 4th post have expired, here's the one from the previous thread that appears to work: https://discord.gg/G4GHD35

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

ShowTime posted:

The money can't be in your secure container to pay.

Not my experience

Our group has had a handful of times where someone got left, but for any of them where we had a recording either they didn't actually pay (the little green guy icon didn't light up for them) or they were outside the zone when the counter hit zero. Not that I wouldn't believe something could be bugged in Tarkov :)

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

Just to add another dorm extract anecdote, I keep 7k in my document bag in my secure container along with my keys explicitly so I can hit that extract whenever I want and I've been able to pay with the money in my container every time

When we go dorms, a pile of cash in the docs case (or SICC last wipe) containing dorms keys and that case is inside in the secure is exactly how my group does it and it pays out from inside the secure just fine.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

What headphones do people use for listening? Lately if I even step on a twig within 200m of someone they spin around and headshot me. I know there's those earphones in game that are supposed to help but I didn't notice a difference so I'm thinking it's my actual headphones because I can't hear at anything close to the range other people seem to.

If it seems like people missed your question, it probably because the idea of the in-game headsets not making a difference goes counter most people's experience. Most likely there is nothing wrong with your actual headphones, you just need to give the in-game stuff another run.

(a tad old, but should give you some idea of what you are missing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7uHeK9y5Q&t=995s

I personally run Comtacs once I get out of the "so poor" very early game and unlock Ragman ll2 (whatever I can get my hands on in that phase). I suggest just trying them all in an offline with scavs, finding what works the best for you, then standardizing on it. If you are constantly flipping between types, you'll have problems judging distance for shots and things like that.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
So what the crap is going on with fuel prices? I unlocked my bitcoin farm 1 the other day, went in to refuel it this morning and about crapped my pants...

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

LGD posted:

you can just build your own GPUs in the intelligence center, and the first GPU is by far the most important so its really not a big deal to add them over time

ofc theoretically you should weight opportunity cost of selling them, but it usually works out and recent wipes are long

and its really nice to have a free money machine

The level 1 Bitcoin farm costs about 1.4-1.5m in components to build, 1 GPU is like 820k. So you are looking at around 2.3m to get it running making 1 coin a day that sells for 500k. Looks like fuel costs are currently in the ballpark of 300k a day, so 200k/day profit.

The farm pays for itself in around 2 weeks, ignoring the side effect of being able to run all your other crafting stations 24/7 with no additional fuel costs (intel 2 in particular is a solid money maker with little effort). Fully populated with 50 cards I'd ballpark your ROI is still well under 2 months including fuel at current rates.

This, of course, is what it looks like today. 4 days ago farm 1 and 1 card was paying itself off in under 1 week so who knows what the future holds (coin price crashing, fuel continuing to go nuts, so on). It also ignores other startup costs like the ledx for medstation 3, the 3 folders of intel for intel 2, the pita of grinding Jaeger rep if you have a standard account, so on...

It's still a solid goal imho.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

LGD posted:

the higher flesh damage of .366 AP means you're much more likely to successfully OHK via thorax through level 4 armor than with 7n1, so I absolutely recommend the VPO-215 for a lot of the Jaeger bolt-action quests

obviously you don't want to be using it for Shooter Born in Heaven (100m+ headshots), but for something like Tarkov Shooter part 3 (killing PMCs at less than 25 meters) you're going to have a much more enjoyable time running an 18k rouble gun that can blap people center mass than trying to hit banger headshots at ranges where you're disadvantaged vs. even naked dudes using terrible pistols

Also you'll get most of them back in insurance because people want mosins, but who can be bothered with a vpo-215 :)

Last wipe I went through probably 20 mosins trying to get Tarkov shooter part 3 knocked out. I finished it this wipe on the 4th vpo-215 + ap raid and I actually survived 2 of those. Blew my mind lol

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Trump posted:

But what helmets would you guy recommend for in the cheap to mid-budget range?

Option 1 - None. Most the time you take a headshot, it won't matter anyway.
Option 2 - SSh-68 penis helm. It's cheap, rarely stolen, repairs well, high ricochet chance
Option 3 - 6B47 Ratnik. Doing the bleach barter trade, it's also very cheap, can mount your NVG stuff if you go that route, high ricochet chance.

It's pretty rare the armor class on the helm saves you from more than scav rounds unless the ricochet happens, so until I'm money flush that's pretty much all I buy. Once I get the cash, I move onto the options with facesheilds, although only about 50% to stop the bullshit buckshot to the face from 100m scavs :)

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
The level 4 stash price was already neck and neck with just bartering for a THICC for the cost/square. Now the THICC is about 2/3 the price.

It's pretty funny, my group was really excited coming into this wipe, our 2nd full wipe and the first one we (kinda) knew what we were doing. We were going back and forth on EoD but decided to give standard a go again since we understood the importance of rushing a stash upgrade, Punisher, and not just ignoring Jaeger's bullshit at least to ll2 so you can get a farm rolling.

Like we all have farm 2/3 up and running, I'm even fully populated. This stuff doesn't *really* impact me personally especially since we just play 2-3 nights a week so that's a crapton of passive money for us all, but boy howdy is it very clearly some bad decision making on behalf of BSG.

Now that we've seen all these "balance" changes, understand better how they impact the game as a whole, and the blatant money grab stuff they pull to incentivize EoD, I'm not entirely sure we'll play after the next wipe - We've already switched one of our gaming nights to exploring other games and I'm thinking that Tarkov is going to start shrinking out of the play time once something clicks. I'm positive that nobody at this point is even remotely considering rewarding them more money to upgrade editions based on the direction we've seen.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

bird cooch posted:

Bitcoin is annoying, but as an actual new player on a base account who is putting time in, these are my issues.

Bitcoin and how they are handling it is a symptom of the same problem, the game seems to be purposely built to make coming into a wipe late super punishing. Also once you get to a high level you get access to better gear at cheaper prices with the bitcoin farm giving you free money. It's all related.

If you started that wipe with everyone else, you'd be on equal footing so so while you may hit some chads every now and then in dorms, you are mostly going to be running against people with the same lovely scav AKs and 7.62 PS that you are running. Right now if you take that up against someone with class 5+ armor and a solid helm, you better be praying for a face shot - and that they aren't wearing an altyn.

Not level 10 yet to have flea access? Heh, too bad sucker - that 7.62 PS ammo is probably the best you have to run unless you find some in raid or somehow scrounge up the money to unlock Peacekeeper ll2 and get m80 (but have no way to buy guys that run it).

Finally get enough exp to hit level 10? Great! Now you can buy real ammo - only you get to pay the flea prices for it even tho the level 40 guys with 40m in the bank are paying under 400 a shot for m855a1 you get the honor of paying 1600 a shot. Pretty balanced, eh?

Want some armor before flea? Ehhh, sorry. Use what you can find or buy a lovely class 2. Get the vendors up to ll2 and you can unlock some class 4 stuff for 60-70k a pop. Meanwhile, level 35 folks get access to class 4 armored rigs that barter for basically the same cost but have 3x the storage space (m1) or class 5 armor for around 100k.

I have no problem with getting access to better or more varied gear/mods as you advance the vendors but it should cost significantly *more* for the better performance and the lowbies have to have some way to compete reasonably - meaning they need some real reasonable ammo choices when all the vendors are ll1. I say all this as someone currently running hexgrid and a helm with a faceshield most raids because of the bitcoins spraying money at me and allowing me to do it.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

tokenbrownguy posted:

Appreciate the quick response, but that link is dead for me.

Bitcoin Farm 1 with 1 card in it costs something like 2.8m to get operational and at 800k+ of bitcoins being generated a day if you use the grey fuels from Jaeger it will pay for itself in something like 5 days. From then on it's all profit.

Put more in as you can, but that first one is by far the most important to get in and running asap

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
When I did it, I basically just sold anything on flea that has a reasonable turnover rate for euros. The flea exchange rate ~2 months ago seemed to be ~133 roubles = 1 euro, so I got a discount vs buying them outright.

Full disclosure: I haven't really been playing that much the last couple months, so I have zero idea what's hot on flea right now. At the time ammo isn't a great thing to sell here because of the low per item cost but most anything over 10k and that sells well should be if you want to go through the effort. I personally didn't really bother unless it was 50k+ - most of what I did was bolts, empty blue fuels, filters, intel, that kind of stuff. I never tried with anything worth more than ~500k, but the air filters were selling around that when I did it and they'd always sell.

I think once folks get solar (and for poors like me, stash4), there isn't really a whole lot people spend the euros on so they just buy it if it is anywhere close to the top of the list on flea and they don't really care if the math works out as a deal or not.

Edit: I also paid less in flea listing fees if doing it in euros, so it was a double win

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
The changes to mission rep gain is loving brutal unless you have the pay to win edition. Almost level 14 and close to Therapist, but I'm nowhere near Prapor and Skier ain't happening unless the RNG gods smile on me and give me a USB drive at some point.

I may get Jager ll2 before the wipe is over. Maybe. That's going to grind the hideout progression to a stop really soon.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I think my player profile is corrupt or something. Every time I complete a quest it won't let me receive the reward and the entire menu system freezes completely until I alt-F4 and start the game back up again.

I've sent bug reports to BSG every time but nobody else seems to be having the issues. It started after one of the more recent patches last week.

I don't recall this specific issue, but when our group sees something odd usually either an "Integrity check" or "Clear cache" in the launcher's little pulldown menu under your Username sorts it out. Worth a shot at least.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Commissar Kip posted:

Something is fucky here because 12 hours is extremely short and against how it actually should work.

Prapor returns items within 24-36 hours and you have 96 hours to collect them.
Therapist returns items within 12-24 hours and you have 144 hours to collect them.
(You also get -20% return time with a level 2 int center).

Might have to do with the inventory servers loving up.

Escape From Tarkov: Something is fucky here

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Circling back to the PVP vs PVE discussion I’ve been reading this thread for a good 6 months and I’m still not super clear if this game is more of a PVP game with a small slice of PVE or PVE focused where you run into other people every so often.

I still haven’t pulled the trigger on the game but I’ve been super tempted.

A lot of this answer depends on the map you are running, where you are going on that map and how early in the raid you are doing it, and how early in the wipe it is. For example, factory is basically the deathmatch map and you can expect to PVP nearly every time you go in there. The chance of PVP on Woods is typically low to moderate as long as you avoid the lumbermill - you are usually only running across other players if you just happen upon each other while looting the less hot areas at the same time. Early in the wipe since everyone has the same missions you will see a lot more players in some places but after a week or two that usually thins out a lot.

Don't go assuming that you'll never need to PVP, since there are missions that require you to kill players. Probably the most important one (Friend From the West) requires 7 player kills and it gatekeeps all missions from one vendor. If you are running a standard account, you'll probably also want to do the Punisher series of missions at some point to unlock the largest secure container you can get (ignoring the Kappa that realistically only people who live and breathe the game will get during a wipe cycle) and 3/6 missions there require player kills with various parameters.

My group of 3 (occasionally 2 or 4) only plays a couple nights a week so we tend to focus getting missions completed and while we don't avoid PVP, we also don't usually look for it unless someone is on a mission that needs it. Typically, we solo our player kills on factory unless the specific mission is map restricted. I'd say that we see players maybe 1/3 to 1/4 of raids we run unless the missions are pushing us into a known hot PVP zone like Custom's Dorms (warning: a lot of early missions have you heading here) or Shoreline's Resort. It's also entirely probable that there are more players around us, but they aren't interested in instigating a 1v3, of course :D. Larger groups are harder to coordinate and more obvious running around the map, so I would expect that some solo players are just hiding while we pass through from time to time.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

Pestily has a tutorial-ish series called The Raid where he plays on an account with only the standard stash. The two main inventory management tips he seems to practice to make having a standard stash work:
-vendor almost everything, you don't actually need to hold on to statues and rags and poo poo forever. you'll find it again later
-take the money you got from vendoring everything beeline for saving 1.1 mill for the scav junkbox

Containers are definitely the long term solution (along with stash upgrades), but the other thing that can help is keeping rigs that give you more space than they take up.

Sort this guy on slot ratio high to low, that's your list of what to keep an eye out for if you want to do this. Azimuts tend to be reasonably frequent on scavs and probably the best you will find with any frequency.
https://tarkov-tools.com/items/rigs

From personal experience, I'll warn you that you need to come up with a legit placement methodology if you ever want to find anything going this route. Example: This rig is food, this one is meds, this one is ammo, these are barter items, so on. :)

Oh, shoving rigs into your backpack in raid works the same way to maximize loot slots btw. Bonus there is you also pull another rig out to either use or sell. Downside is weight and inventory tetris is more cumbersome.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
For my money, I'll take a vpo-136 over an SKS any day for the low level runs. Not as accurate at extreme ranges, but for roughly the same price as an SKS + 20 round mag, you can have 2 30 round mags. Bonus is that you tend to be swimming in ak parts very quickly to mod it out if you care. Personal preference and all, but I like the irons a ton more on it as well.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
The couple little stagger steps you take after making a big jump just feels :discourse:

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
What's the ergo penalty on that suppressor?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

giZm posted:

The trick is tagging the one in use.

You don't get a choice, it just selects what I believe is the first junkbox you bought/made and uses it. I just had the same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago and besides having to put on clean underpants when the wrong one just disappeared, it was ultimately just annoying to move everything out of a drat near full junkbox to the empty one I had bought for the upgrade.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Picture this - I'm about half way through level 36 and hadn't found my 8th Bear level >=15 dogtag for the RSASS barter until last night. Knock out Gunsmith 6 through 16 really quick (that finally gets me to level 37 where I can just buy it). Then today I log in and low and behold what's in my like 30th scav case run???

gently caress you, Nikita.
Just gently caress you so much.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

unless misery is exactly the point.

Well, that and upselling you on EoD that just so happens to be insanely useful for collecting those pre-flea hideout/crafting components... See also: The stash upgrades costing a total of ~40 million RUB and the vendor rep situation with Jaeger in particular.

Or you can just drop 140 bucks in real life and that all becomes easy street and you can use that 40 million to get better gear/ammo and survive more raids.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

Futaba Anzu posted:

on the topic of interchange, does it no longer spawn a bunch of quest food items in the back of goshan like tushonka and whatnot? i've ratted in there a couple of times and noticed a very clear lack of items there this wipe, or at least way way not as much as it being The Spot like two wipes ago when I last played

I knocked out all the food for Acquaintance this wipe in a single Interchange scav run - the Iskras from the green boxes around the map and everything else from the north side of goshan.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
I haven't really done the math on Peacekeeper spend this wipe, but last wipe I did several examples of various items and for anything that any different vendor (other than fence) would buy it always made more sense to sell items to the other vendor and then just buy USD from Peacekeeper with the RUB you get back.

Here's an example from right now that demonstrates it. Currently it's 118RUB to buy 1USD from Peacekeeper:
Peacekeeper will buy a heavy trooper mask for 256USD. 118RUB x 256USD = 30,208RUB. You get 256 USD of Peacekeeper spend.

Ragman will buy the trooper for 37,820RUB. 37,820RUB/118 = 320USD. You get 37.8k RUB spend on ragman plus 320 USD spend on Peacekeeper.

Heck, Skier will buy the trooper mask for 29,890 and he's typically a harder one to make early spend on for me so I'd rather get 29.9k of skier spend and 253 USD than just selling to Peacekeeper for the extra 3USD.

Just call me Mr. Min-max :D

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

matryx posted:

or whatever their reason may be.

Looks at Friend From the West part 1 and the fact that like 90% of the players seem to have rolled bears this wipe...

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003

KirbyKhan posted:

My big problem right now is hesitating to pull the trigger. I do not know how to identify someone as a scav, a PMC, or a player scav. It doesn't matter to my PMC runs because I just kill everyone. On my scav runs I do a Q/E wave/nod and sometimes someone stops and push to talks me and we just leave each other alone. Sometimes a dude just starts blasting me. Who knows the difference, I dont

If your goal is to just loot up and get a basic kit out, there's nothing wrong with never shooting as a scav until you've been hit. Sure, you'll die when people open fire on you, but you won't lose fence rep (that eventually leads to long scav timers).

Even if you identify a player scav as a scav, some players just don't care about their scav rep and will blast you even if you aren't wearing something that outwardly looks valuable. If you hear any jumping or see behavior that looks like a player, either relocate your rear end somewhere else or accept that they might off you even if you are the 'same team'. :shrug:

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
If we are talking keybinds, the one that I feel makes a real difference is putting the drop item bind somewhere easily accessible, I personally use a thumb button on the mouse. Then get used to using whatever you picked.

- Once it is second nature, you can strip all the attachments off your buddy's gun and drop it all onto the ground when insurance frauding in under a second.
- Pulling something manually onto your inventory onto a populated spot? Start dragging and then hit the key to drop what's already there and move it in one smooth, fast motion.
- When you are looting a body, you tend to be super vulnerable, so using the drop bind to speed up hoovering all the loot minimizes your time doing it and that ends up meaning you tend to live longer.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
My first wipe was on a standard account, and I'm a big fan of playing it once that way.

If nothing else, it should prevent you from being one of the morons that screams that there's no in-raid advantage to not having to spend like 30m RUB on stash upgrades (that can go into gear/ammo instead), being able to get easier access to cheap vendor gear/ammo thanks to the rep bonus, and/or the power of having the second largest secure container in the game from level 1.

Then if you are hooked, drop the cash for EoD for the next wipe.

Full disclosure: These days even as a fairly casual player this wipe I'm doing a very limited flea/kinda hardcore self-imposed ruleset, so I'm clearly a glutton for punishment. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
I've probably about hit the end of this wipe for me since most the missions that remain are ones I have little interest in, but I wanted to share that if you are a seasoned player and enjoy the pre-flea feel of the game where specific loot is actually important and not just a $/square math problem that you really should consider doing a no or limited flea market run.

It's soooo good. So good.

If you have the mindset of 'I gotta install all the hideout stuff I have available asap', you need to stop it to pull this off. I had it, I get it, but tell you what? It's really not a big deal if most of the non-crafting hideout stuff just doesn't get installed until you get around to it.

I didn't find the last edrill I needed for workbench2 until I was level 25 and I about poo poo my pants trying to get it out of the raid. I love that this game makes my heart race, but if I was buying that drill off flea I'd just need to pull out pretty much any 4 items FIR and I could probably sell them for about what an edrill costs. There's no stakes there so you lose much of those Tarkov highs we all love (and the corresponding lows).

This wipe I landed on deleting my whole starting stash other than my secure and I could only use flea for consumables (food/ammo/meds), quest keys, and quest items (or the barter items to immediately craft quest items - this was to not fall behind too far with my group).

Deleting the stash gave a really fun early game going into my first raid with absolutely nothing, finding a pm pistol with 3 rounds in a gym bag and snowballing with the kit from a couple scav kills on the way out. I love that this means that everything in my inventory is something I personally earned... but it made the early game into a cash grind that I didn't enjoy so much. Eventually the stash fills up anyway and since I wasn't allowing myself to buy the barter stuff for containers that became kinda annoying at points. The really interesting thing here was after getting established cash very quickly became mostly meaningless to me and for anyone who has played this game and got to that point before, you know this is an amazing place to be.

I'm thinking next time I might sell all the starting items off to give me some seed money but still keep the idea that all things I have are things I earned. To balance this a bit I'm considering only allowing myself to purchase consumables with cash and only barters for anything else until level 5 or 10 to keep that starting from scratch feeling for a little bit. At that point allow buying vendor stuff with cash, then when flea opens up I'll use the same limits listed above except adding in the ability to buy containers or the barter items for containers off flea to help with my space issues. I'm hoping that the sell off fixes the early money grind and that allowing containers gives me something to do with cash and should help solve the space problems.

I'd do something closer to the full hardcore ruleset if I had more time to play, but since I'm a 2 night a week semi-casual and frankly a mediocre pvp player at best, that one's a hard pass from me.

Anyone else do any self-imposed rules that might be cool to consider?

Fancy_Lad fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 18, 2024