Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

You might need to winterize your car. If you're in Florida, some of the liquids in your car might not be rated for winter temperatures, and that can cause problems.

Also, if you need to park outside, consider the age of your battery. If you have a chance for really cold weather (like 10 degrees or so), you want to make sure your battery is in good condition since the cold makes it a lot harder for your battery to provide enough juice to get started.

And be smart about the snow. No matter what, there are times where it is just plain dangerous to drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Get a house with a high roof angle and preferrably sheet metal. SNow will just slide off.

I also note that some people think winter tyres are not needed, in Finland they are mandatory and I wouldn't be without them.

And nobody has mentioned block heaters for cars, aren't they a thing in the US. Good for the motor.

Block heaters are common in places like Minnesota where it gets to -40 on a pretty regular basis. Most cars will be fine up to around -20, which is pretty cold where I live. Like, I have seen colder, but really, that only happens like once every few years.

I am going to say get winter tires. People who say you don't need them have never used them. They don't know what they are talking about.

Basically, all season tires at their best are equivalent to winter tires halfway through their lifetime. They're not useless in the snow, like summer tires, but they really aren't good.

What's scary about winter driving in the US is how people have just normalized losing control of their car. And they think that winter tires aren't needed because they know how to drive in the snow.

It's insurance. If you can afford it, it is totally worth having. I remember the first time I used winter tires - my car just stopped in the snow. I've forgotten what ABS feels like because it doesn't happen anymore.

If your highs get below 45 degrees fahrenheit for a significant period of time, get winter tires and ignore those who say you don't need them.