Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Know about your roof, and get a roof rake.

Get a house with a high roof angle and preferrably sheet metal. SNow will just slide off.

I also note that some people think winter tyres are not needed, in Finland they are mandatory and I wouldn't be without them.

And nobody has mentioned block heaters for cars, aren't they a thing in the US. Good for the motor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jintozook81 posted:

You cars lifespan will be significantly shorter. Between driving through the mountains and the harsh winters. The snow can get deep. My cousins and I used to dig tunnels through the yard and make trenches and igloo’s. Snow war.

The worst part about winter and car health is the salting of the roads. I think they're too quick to salt the roads here. I'd rather drive on a nice snowy road, possibly sanded, than wet slush, since I got winter tyres. Anyway that's countered by washing the car if given the chance.

And also getting anti-rust treatments during summer season (not required every season).

And the car will be better off outside but under a roof, than going into a warm garage.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dik Hz posted:

The issue with that is that the nice snowy road turns to ice after a couple cars drive over it.

Yes when it gets real cold here, not even salt will keep it off and the road gets a layer of compacted snow, not quite ice IMO. I like it to be honest, my ideal winter driving conditions. The roads are graveled instead and the car is nice and clean and traction with winter tyres is just fine. I mostly drive on country roads and not in cities, where I think they salt until everything melts.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

This morning we had some real poo poo weather, I remembered this discussion and snapped a photo

(90% of my commute is just straight driving like this, just forest and no street lights, maybe deer or moose on the way to say hello)

This is some of the worst weather. Snowfall during the night, the temperature is above freezing and no plough trucks yet (I met one going the other way). So on one hand you got bare asphalt, but there are snow drifts between the tire tracks and if you hit them in the wrong way, they want to drag your car sideways, like into the ditch.

This weather is far worse than a frozen ice road at -25C

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Dunno what to tell you then, pretty common road condition here.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Eric the Mauve posted:

As a kid we lived in the narrow streets of an old, small city. When I was about 8 my father (a truck driver) took like an hour to shovel out my mother's car from a two foot snowfall before he left at like 3:30 AM on a weeklong run, and left a couple trash cans for her to save her spot with when she went to work. When she got back from work (after picking us kids up from grandma's) she found someone had moved the trash cans and taken the spot. (She knew the neighbors' cars and it wasn't any of theirs.) We had to park in a church lot like 3 blocks away and walk back home in the snow/ice. She told us to stay inside, went down to the basement, lugged up a 5 gallon bucket half full of used motor oil my dad had stashed down there, and dumped it all over the windshield and back window of the car. That was almost 30 years ago and she still gets pissed if I bring it up. She says the rear end in a top hat was lucky he locked all four doors and also that she couldn't find any paint.

I remember being afraid whoever's car it was would smash down our door (it was right in front of our house) and try to kill us but after sitting there all evening the car was gone the next morning and we never found out who it was.

I also know a guy that has a plow on his pickup truck who a couple years ago someone moved his traffic barrels (and those fuckers are heavy so that took some effort) and took the space he'd plowed out for his wife, and when she called him and told him about it he left work early and spent an hour gathering snow from everywhere and burying the car.

So, uh, don't do that. People get very pissed off.

I've had that happen to me. Someone just stole my parking spot once at my apartment complex. Pissed me off even more because I paid extra for that spot and it had an outlet so I could use the block heater for my car. Man it ignites such a loving fury in you. But all I did was leave a nasty message on the windshield.

Fortunately where I now live I don't have to worry about that.

Anyway winter sucks in a lot of ways, but last night we had -16C and the sun was out (while the day lasted) and everything was just so nice looking. Crisp and clean. The lake is freezing over properly now and you can go ice fishing and skiing or just exploring and hiking over to the islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Only regular maintenance does the trick. But I gotta say I cheated with my toyota yaris, only had a proper treatment done in 2011 at a mechanics. I opted for a much cheaper old fashioned method that uses oil, I wonder if it's literally old engine oil or some poo poo.

Makes the car real drippy and dirty at first as that oil gets everywhere, and that's partially what reates the rust protection, all that oil which gets everywhere, and then dust and crud kicked up from the road forms an oily solid barrier that lasts for a very long time. My car is almost new looking under, except in a few spots where I should do some touch-ups.

Fortunately the real winter is finally here now and salting the roads is like pissing in the wind so they've stopped trying, just ploughing and occasionally laying out sand or gravel and it's like I described earlier, a hard white surface that's pleasant to drive across. Traction with studded tires is just fine.