Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

It's been asked/mentioned a few times in a passing way but Pennsylvania is, like, three different countries, weather-wise. I assume you're moving to the Philly area (where 2/3 of PA's population is) and winter is comparatively not that bad there (or in Harrisburg/Hershey/York/Lancaster, east of the Appalachians and south of the Poconos). It will still blow you away as a lifelong Floridian, but it's really mild compared to what you'll get if you're in Pittsburgh (or, gods help you, Erie). Northeast PA gets a lot more snow than southeast PA.

If you're actually going west of the Appalachians be aware seasonal depression is worst out there--it's colder, snowier, but worst of all, it's cloudy all the goddamn time.

New tip to add to the pile: Four-wheel drive will help you get moving on packed snow. It is NOT an enchanted item that provides immunity to ice. Don't be that moron driving 50 MPH in freezing rain because "I have four wheel drive!"

But the best advice of all is, if it snows more than 5 inches and especially if there's freezing rain, don't drive for a day. Plan ahead so you won't have to.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I also grew up in Pennsyltucky and now live in the Philly area and the difference is definitely stark to me. So yeah probably living way further north skewed your perspective a bit :v:

It depends on how long you've lived at each place too, because especially in southeast PA that 27" per-year average is comprised of some years of basically 0 and some years of 50+.

Climate and topography's effect on it is really fascinating (e.g. Monaco is closer to the North Pole than Buffalo, and so forth).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 5, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In one of my past lives I was a game charter working at minor league baseball games in western Pennsylvania. At one game there was a snow delay. It didn't lay much but it snowed giant golf ball sized flakes for about a half hour and trying to play baseball in those conditions is hopeless. I was standing under a heat lamp during the delay with two of the home team's pitchers who had been assigned to chart the game from the stands that day. They were staring out at the snowstorm like it was the surface of the moon. They grew up in Arizona and had spent their pro careers to date in Florida; it was the first time they had ever seen snow.

This happened a few days before Memorial Day.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Scott Lame posted:

If you're moving to Philly (or one of the older, nearby suburbs, especially in Delco), respect the lawn chair ( or orange safety cone, or trash can). It's legal, but jumping in someone else's shoveled out parking space is a bad idea. It's a good way to get your antenna snapped off, at the very least.

As a kid we lived in the narrow streets of an old, small city. When I was about 8 my father (a truck driver) took like an hour to shovel out my mother's car from a two foot snowfall before he left at like 3:30 AM on a weeklong run, and left a couple trash cans for her to save her spot with when she went to work. When she got back from work (after picking us kids up from grandma's) she found someone had moved the trash cans and taken the spot. (She knew the neighbors' cars and it wasn't any of theirs.) We had to park in a church lot like 3 blocks away and walk back home in the snow/ice. She told us to stay inside, went down to the basement, lugged up a 5 gallon bucket half full of used motor oil my dad had stashed down there, and dumped it all over the windshield and back window of the car. That was almost 30 years ago and she still gets pissed if I bring it up. She says the rear end in a top hat was lucky he locked all four doors and also that she couldn't find any paint.

I remember being afraid whoever's car it was would smash down our door (it was right in front of our house) and try to kill us but after sitting there all evening the car was gone the next morning and we never found out who it was.

I also know a guy that has a plow on his pickup truck who a couple years ago someone moved his traffic barrels (and those fuckers are heavy so that took some effort) and took the space he'd plowed out for his wife, and when she called him and told him about it he left work early and spent an hour gathering snow from everywhere and burying the car.

So, uh, don't do that. People get very pissed off.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 6, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've never yet seen "rustproofing" that actually works against the relentless onslaught of salt