Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
A lot depends on where you are in Pennsylvania-- I am in Philadelphia and it is a lot colder and snowier an hour or two away from here in the Poconos. We get 1-2 solid snow days most years and a full-on blizzard once every 3-5 years or so, but went all last winter with no real snow at all. Up near the NY border, snow is a major factor in life, and Erie has full-on lake effect snow, which is snow for people who are serious about snow.

I highly recommend getting a pair of boots with solid, grippy rubber soles. Icy pavement can be surprisingly slippery and my Gripfasts have save me from more than one nasty fall. Other than that, I have never made a big deal out of dressing for winter, I just wear a lot of layers and never forget a hat and gloves. A nice pair of heavy wool pants can be wonderful, though.

If you are anyplace suburban or rural and there are trees, a solid snowstorm can knock out your power/cable for surprisingly long times, so be prepared for that. My parents are right out of the city and had no internet for a week plus the last time we had a major storm.

I don't really drive so I don't have any advice other than to go very, very slow. Sometimes you just lose control and you want to do that at 20 miles an hour rather than the actual speed limit. Also, they are not kidding that bridges freeze before roads, watch out when you are going over an overpass.

Enjoy it-- a solid snowstorm makes everything quiet and weirdly-lit, like some magical fairyland, and it is a great excuse to cozy up at home and day drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU