Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Brotein_Shake posted:

How do I avoid freezing to do death? Shorts and sandals are all I own.

Layers, layers, and more layers. When itís bad out, start with a moisture wicking layer, then regular shirt(s)/pants, then something insulated, then a waterproof (or at least resistant) outer layer. The last two can be combined, but you want both qualities.

The golden rule is cotton kills. You donít want cotton against skin, and you donít want cotton exposed to the elements. It holds water, gets cold, and loses all insulation. Then you get cold and stay cold. Wool or synthetic fibers should make up most of your layers.

You donít necessarily need all of that once you get acclimated to the coldóthe only part of that advice I religiously follow is to trade cotton socks for wool from October through Aprilóbut keep in mind you can always remove layers of need be, but you canít add them once youíve left them at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

His Divine Shadow posted:

Only regular maintenance does the trick. But I gotta say I cheated with my toyota yaris, only had a proper treatment done in 2011 at a mechanics. I opted for a much cheaper old fashioned method that uses oil, I wonder if it's literally old engine oil or some poo poo.

Bar and chain oil is the traditional choice of the redneck backwoods shop mechanic. Fluid film is the popular off the shelf stuff, and then the more expensive way is stuff with fibers in it that theoretically helps it stick to the steel better. My last truck I had the latter (shop used something called woolwax) applied annually, and it preserved the frame very well, even for an old vehicle in significant salt.

Actually, what sort of proved to me it worked well is that I never thought to take the spare tire off when I had it coated, and one day a couple years ago I took it off for unrelated reasons and discovered the frame cross member it mounted to was almost completely gone right above where the wheel blocked access to it. So now that I have a replacement truck, I have been sure to pull the spare off when I get it undercoated.