Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Animal-Mother posted:

A set of winter tires, chains, an ice scraper for the windows, a functioning heating system, a set of extra clothes and blankets in the trunk, just in case. Prepare to wake up extra early so you have time to warm the car up. Take a refresher course in winter driving.

Modern car engines are actually hurt by letting them warm up. It's better to drive and let them warm up as you drive. Unless you are driving a boomer-era hotrod which, given how long cars can last in Florida, is not out of the question. Just get a scraper for your windshield. Also, be careful on roads during the winter. You may have noticed that people from cold states drive like grannies. You will want to drive like an old granny. You won't, and that's OK. And you are absolutely going to "fish tail". You will know it the first time it happens and if you are lucky you won't lose control and crash your car. After that, you will learn to drive like a granny and see why people do it. Just like the bad warm-up advice, people will tell you to pump your breaks on the ice. That's also antiquated advice so depending on the age of your car ymmv.

Get hand cream. The cold air sucks the moisture out of your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

GoutPatrol posted:

Invest in good socks, hat, and gloves. The aren't lying when they say all your heat loss comes from your head.

Actually, they are!

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides...%20your%20body.

But I have big ears and they get chilly in the Winter so I still strongly recommend a good hat.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

His Divine Shadow posted:

Get a house with a high roof angle and preferrably sheet metal. SNow will just slide off.

I also note that some people think winter tyres are not needed, in Finland they are mandatory and I wouldn't be without them.

And nobody has mentioned block heaters for cars, aren't they a thing in the US. Good for the motor.

Finland gets significantly colder than where he is moving to. He's moving from Cape Verde to Munich.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
We live in the future, so if the cold is really a problem for you, you can buy aerogel stuff.

Also, mittens make you feel like an idiot kid but are much warmer.