Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

His Divine Shadow posted:

The worst part about winter and car health is the salting of the roads. I think they're too quick to salt the roads here. I'd rather drive on a nice snowy road, possibly sanded, than wet slush, since I got winter tyres. Anyway that's countered by washing the car if given the chance.
The issue with that is that the nice snowy road turns to ice after a couple cars drive over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yes when it gets real cold here, not even salt will keep it off and the road gets a layer of compacted snow, not quite ice IMO. I like it to be honest, my ideal winter driving conditions. The roads are graveled instead and the car is nice and clean and traction with winter tyres is just fine. I mostly drive on country roads and not in cities, where I think they salt until everything melts.
what? A couple car passes and compacted snow turns to ice. There is no traction to be had. Even with winter tires.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You're not going to like it because Winter weather sucks. The freezing rear end cold sucks. The snow is neat at first but then it sucks. Ice sucks. Slush sucks. Putting on and taking off layers constantly sucks. Your nose running all over your face sucks. Waiting for a car to warm up sucks. I could go on.

If you just go into it knowing it's going to suck you'll be fine, good luck :)
For me, the worst part of living somewhere really cold/snowy (please note, I love living such places) is the early spring. You'll get a nice thaw in March and you'll get all optimistic. And then you get two more months of gray and slush and cold. Next thing you know it's the fishing opener in May and you're chipping ice out of the minnow bucket in a futile endeavor because walleyes don't bite during a spring cold front. And you just want it to stay in the 50s during the day.