Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

I did this about 10 years ago, moved from FL to NJ in November (right before a whole ton of blizzards too.)

Here are some things I learned about winter.

Get a nice coat that keeps you warm. You will not find this in any store in Florida, so make this your first purchase in PA.

Make sure you have non-freezing wiper fluid in your car. I just used a hose and water my whole drat life until I found out why that doesn't work in winter.

A credit card can be used in a pinch to scrap ice off your windshield.

The day is way shorter during the winter and it's super loving weird. Still not used to it.

You'll get used to the cold way faster than you'll imagine, and by spring you might try and go outside in shorts and a tshirt when it's 50 out because it'll feel nice. Don't, it's still cold as poo poo and I got so sick from this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Drive slowly and almost exactly like you're driving a boat. No sudden movements because if you try it won't matter. Though I did do some donuts and whatnot in the middle of the first blizzard I had to drive in. No one was in the whole parking lot and I kept it blew 10 MPH but it was still surprising how the car reacted under sudden jerks of the wheel or sudden braking under ice.

Have a pair of gloves in your car or in your coat pocket or something at all times. I usually get a pack of cheap gloves during fall just to be sure I have some around. Also make sure you have a pair of shoes that are warm and waterproof for snow. All of my shoes were sandals or non-waterproof sneakers (chucks suuuuck in snow so bad for so many reasons.)