Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Name: Zolara
Race: Elf
Class: Monk
Background: A pacifist. Time spent fighting is time that could be spent drinking. However, once she gets drunk, she wants nothing more than to fight. As such, she's invented, and become a master of, Drunk-Fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

Anyway, Elfheim. See? Different tileset. And yes, these are unambiguously elves; no fancy names or unusual biology like later games, just :elf:. While Elfheim has the same selection of shops as most towns, it has two pairs of magic shops selling level 3 and level 3 magic. It’s here that we run into one of the biggest downsides of the Red Mage.

That should be Level 3 and Level 4 magic.

Falconier111 posted:

Good going, bossman.

loving – do you ever say anything positive?!

… I don’t, do I?

Drink first. Punch things second. Saying positive things is... a distant 3rd. :black101:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Funktor posted:

Your characterization is intensely amazing and I am here for it.

Ok, so, the Marsh Cave: you made it look like it wasn't a big thing, and that *might* be true of this remake, but in the original NES game, that cave is the first place where the game reveal its true sadism. Marsh Cave will absolutely *break* you if you're underleveled or unprepared. It's the first point in the game that will almost require grinding: you'll need money for spells, you'll need enough levels to be able to *cast* those spells enough times, and you'll need enough money left over for enough healing and antidote potions. (Don't forget, there's no buy-in-bulk feature at the store, so you're buying 99 healing potions one by one by one at later parts of the game.) It's the longest dungeon by far to this point - at the very least you'll need one trip to head up north for treasures, and another to head south for the Crown. And the southward path is at least 3 floors of truly dangerous enemies with a surprise boss encounter at the end of it, and you've got to be strong enough to survive the trip back. The mind flayers ("wizards") hit like a danged truck and could flatten any of your party members with one unlucky hit. And there were no revive items or Life spells that early in the game. Oh, and tents didn't refill your magic charges either. So how the game usually went at this point was: 1) grind for a while, 2) trek to the cave, 3) go spelunking, 4) eat too many paralyzes or die to Scorpions or Crawlers, 5) run your ragged, bleeding asses back to Elmheim hoping that the forest spiders won't pick you off on the way, 6) rinse and repeat.

The weird thing about that description is it really doesn't do the difficulty spike justice.

On another note, I love the hints you're dropping with Mayota.

Let's also not forget the fact that forced encounters are tied to a tile, and if you screw up and walk back onto the tile in front of the chest that had the Crown in it, you're fighting the minibosses all over again. And it's random how many show up, from 2-4, IIRC.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Hey, having fun is the most important part of doing these. I'll be sorry to see it go so soon, but if you're not having fun no one will hold it against you

idhrendur posted:

Likewise, I was enjoying it, but if you're not enjoying it please do stop.

This. You're far more important than an LP. If you don't enjoy LPing this, take care of yourself, and do something you like. :)