Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
Jurassic Park vs Dark Order 9 13.85%
Top Flight vs Inner Circle 12 18.46%
Dustin Rhodes vs Evil Uno 4 6.15%
The Young Bucks vs The Acclaimed 13 20.00%
Shida Got Bit! 11 16.92%
Pac vs. The Butcher 16 24.62%
Total: 65 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Basically the entire roster is posting that image, it's a hell of a thing to see. I don't follow anything AEW on Twitter since I watch everything the next day but I have a list that's nothing but AEW and it's just a solid wall of Brodie and Dark Order and You Know What That Means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
I'm still just blown away that I've not come across anyone saying a thing about Brodie's personality that could even be remotely perceived as negative. That almost never happens, losing someone so universally beloved that went of their way to make everyone around them feel special makes it so much more tragic.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I think for me, all of the Brodie stories reminded me how easy it is to fall in the trap of thinking of wrestling as a job you do for 5-15 minutes at a time while you’re in the ring, but here’s so much more behind the scenes we almost never get to see that goes into making a wrestler and a show good.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I think for me, all of the Brodie stories reminded me how easy it is to fall in the trap of thinking of wrestling as a job you do for 5-15 minutes at a time while you’re in the ring, but here’s so much more behind the scenes we almost never get to see that goes into making a wrestler and a show good.

yeah this. even though BTE and other vlogs give us a tiny glimpse of it, there's still stuff that's absolutely sacred and will probably never be on footage, like wrestlers putting a match together and working out spots or segments and poo poo

then never even mind the absolutely bonkers amount of work that goes into each and every wrestler's fitness, cardio, and add an order of magnitude of work / discipline if you're someone like Bryan Cage.

it's a whole life vocation, like a traveling circus performer

smarxist fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 30, 2020

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

just been psyching myself up all day to get real sad tonight

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think that's part of why it hits so hard. Even if you pay attention to the dirtsheets, someone's positive influence backstage (and that's not even considering backstage stuff at the indies) isn't really a story they can write about. So most of the fans didn't even know.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

boxcarhobo posted:

just been psyching myself up all day to get real sad tonight

Yeah I’m going to cry like a baby.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

It got kind of glossed over, but in his SI interview, John Silver mentioned how Brodie lobbied for Silver & Reynolds to get converted to full-time deals after the match they had with Cody/Cardona on Dynamite.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

For real. To no fault of his own, I never would have assumed Brodie was this locker room leader who was always giving tips, buying gear for other wrestlers when he obviously didn't need to, and just generally being willing to give back to the business as much as he could. It's just the stuff that nobody talks about until something like this happens. You kind of assume everyone is always helping each other and sharing ideas and stuff, especially in the AEW locker room where it feels like everyone truly wants everyone else to succeed and be as good as they can be – but Brodie really went above and beyond that.

I feel like that stuff usually comes from the guys who are older and winding down or already retired, like a Sting, Malenko, Arn, etc. and not from the ones who are still very deeply in it.

All this to say, Brodie loving ruled. Tonight is going to be sweet and sad and I'm definitely not ready for it.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

It got kind of glossed over, but in his SI interview, John Silver mentioned how Brodie lobbied for Silver & Reynolds to get converted to full-time deals after the match they had with Cody/Cardona on Dynamite.

It's wild to me that they were still only part-timers even at that point.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Brodie is the first wrestler death I can remember where every article doesn’t have to refer to “personal demons”

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Might be a dumb question but could anyone help me understand why tape delay is a thing? Confused as to why a show that airs live at 8/7c will start at 9:00 mountain time

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Ibexaz posted:

Might be a dumb question but could anyone help me understand why tape delay is a thing? Confused as to why a show that airs live at 8/7c will start at 9:00 mountain time

Ratings. Either you start at 5 PST when people are just getting home from work, or 12 EST.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

For real. To no fault of his own, I never would have assumed Brodie was this locker room leader who was always giving tips, buying gear for other wrestlers when he obviously didn't need to, and just generally being willing to give back to the business as much as he could. It's just the stuff that nobody talks about until something like this happens. You kind of assume everyone is always helping each other and sharing ideas and stuff, especially in the AEW locker room where it feels like everyone truly wants everyone else to succeed and be as good as they can be – but Brodie really went above and beyond that.

I feel like that stuff usually comes from the guys who are older and winding down or already retired, like a Sting, Malenko, Arn, etc. and not from the ones who are still very deeply in it.

All this to say, Brodie loving ruled. Tonight is going to be sweet and sad and I'm definitely not ready for it.

It's wild to me that they were still only part-timers even at that point.

I think it also says a lot about Amanda that a guy with a wife and two kids can freely drop a grand for someone else’s ring gear without a second thought.

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think it also says a lot about Amanda that a guy with a wife and two kids can freely drop a grand for someone else’s ring gear without a second thought.

Absolutely this. Very obvious that she loved that man and everything that came with him.

gently caress this sucks.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Ibexaz posted:

A lot of the basic cable channels have separate feeds for each coast. Mountain sounds like they get the West coast feed, which I guess objectively makes Mountain the worst time zone for watching stuff.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Is there any livestream of AEW or is it just cable on TNT? Don't see anything on TNT's website.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Something that the Brodie thing does heavily highlight is how much AEW is part of the wrestling ecosystem in a way that WWE isn't. It's not just that WWE talent were talking about Brodie, of course they were, it's that the AEW twitter account retweeted them like these were just other wrestlers in other companies and not The Enemy.

Or to pick another example, if one of the tributes to Brodie tonight came from Shingo Takagi, holding the NEVER Openweight title and talking about their matches in Dragon Gate, you'd be delighted to hear from him, but you wouldn't be surprised they put it in the show. Because other wrestling exists in the AEW world in a way it doesn't in the WWE Universe.

And that's a much healthier environment.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grem posted:

Is there any livestream of AEW or is it just cable on TNT? Don't see anything on TNT's website.

Just cable. Does YouTube TV have a free trial? It's on there.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Grem posted:

You can watch live on the TNT app iirc.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Grem posted:

Get a vpn and use Fite tv. Costs like 5 bucks a month

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Grem posted:

TNT has an app, see if you've got a friend with a cable login

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vince MechMahon posted:

Just cable. Does YouTube TV have a free trial? It's on there.

I would assume youtube TV works like cable and locks you into your region

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Hulu + Live TV also has TNT on it if you haven’t burned that trial and has both the East/west feeds of TNT regardless of your region.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

You are all very helpful, thank you.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm not

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I would assume youtube TV works like cable and locks you into your region

You can get around it with a VPN, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vince MechMahon posted:

You can get around it with a VPN, though.

well yeah but if you're using a vpn there are plenty of better options than youtube tv lol

I say this as an avid youtube TV user

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That Enzo video about Brodie a few pages back may be the only good thing Enzo has ever done. For a guy that spends his entire life faking being THE REALEST GUY IN THE ROOM, this time you could actually tell it was real.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 31, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT/status/1344419881714917384?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

sportsgenius86 posted:

She was a wrestler too, right? It sounds like she and the kids were at tapings at least semi-regularly so she probably had some investment in the rest of Dark Order too.

Which is to say you're right, it says a lot about their family and how cool they are.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Grem posted:

Get the tnt app

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/marykayfabe/status/1344411911622963201?s=20

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

already here

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Preshow got me when Dasha said that today she's a proud member of the dark order.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Nice, reminds me a lot of Game of Thrones' Light of the Seven (particularly the slow piano), at least for the first half or so, before it transitions to a symphonic version of his theme.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Vince MechMahon posted:

Preshow got me when Dasha said that today she's a proud member of the dark order.

Effective long-term storytelling is when announcers drinking bottles of Kool-Aid gets me weepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It's Wednesday, you know what that means.
Dynamite Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953312
Next Discussion Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953380

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 31, 2020