Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN?
This poll is closed.
Jurassic Park vs Dark Order 9 13.85%
Top Flight vs Inner Circle 12 18.46%
Dustin Rhodes vs Evil Uno 4 6.15%
The Young Bucks vs The Acclaimed 13 20.00%
Shida Got Bit! 11 16.92%
Pac vs. The Butcher 16 24.62%
Total: 65 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

1) Top Flight vs Jericho and MJF. KiLynn King headbanging in the crowd was fun. Darius standing up to Jericho was a great visual. Top Flight are looking strong here. MJF and Jericho regain the upper hand, but I'm impressed both with how good Top Flight look and how good Top Flight are allowed to look. Daunte Martin's sky high cross body is ludicrous. And MJF's sell from that shotgun dropkick was outstanding. WHAT THE gently caress, SUNSET FLIP INTO A CATAPULT PLANCHA? This was a very solid match.

Don't give Hager a mic, for gently caress's sake.

Okay FINALLY they figure out that Max Caster raps better on video. That was fun.

Toney interviews Sting. I've noticed that Sting only talks on the taped shows. Maybe he's still getting back on the horse of doing live wrestling again?

Sting definitely know his pop lines. I wasn't really feeling this. I did like the dissention in Team Taz.

MJF talks to Proud and Powerful. This is a curious section. The line between sincere and insincere was really narrow here. And Santana is definitely a face.

2) Jurassic Express vs Colt, 5, and 10. Fun, chaotic six man. A bit house showy but very watchable. It's still impressive to me how quickly Vance and Angels have become workhorses. Fun inconsequential match

Toney interviews Jurassic Express in the ring. Tully interrupts with a boring FTR promo. Worth it for how angry Marko gets.

Marvez interviews Kenny and Don. That is an astonishing jacket. Typically great Kenny promo, but the Fite feed had some weird time cuts.

3) The Butcher vs PAC. This could be a very fun scrap. Eddie on commentary just blanking Tony was great. PAC boxing clever is fun. I really enjoy Butcher as a methodical monster. Eddie giving a Wolverhampton shout out was weird but I love it. I saw Orange Cassidy wrestle there. This is a very good fun hard hitting slugfest. Butcher has some outstanding power moves. Butcher pulling PAC up by his beard was great. The ending was a bit of a clusterfuck and I couldn't see why Blade didn't interfere in the very slow Black Arrow, but the match until then was very good.

Then we get, a very stilted, Jade Cargill, promo. She's not much better, on pretape, than live.

Kip and Penelope out to announce their wedding date. I have turned around to loving how over-egged this is. The Best Friends fakeout was fun.

February 3rd at Beach Break. Okay, that's fun.

4) Evil Uno vs Dustin Rhodes. Annoyed we didn't get Uno's entrance. Really enjoy Uno taking it to Dustin. Wouldn't mind seeing Dustin and Johnson vs the Dark Order. This is a bit more one sided than I wanted it to be. It popped the crowd, and that's fine.

Love defiant Uno post-bell. This post match sequence was ugly as hell but I loved seeing Lee Johnson offense on TV. This can keep chugging on.

Shawn Spears interview. He's a decent talker, always has been. He just... doesn't have anything to say. But I guess getting him off TV is fine.

Abadon assaults Shida immediately before her match.

5) Hikaru Shida vs Alex Gracia. Very one sided to begin with, as it should be. Shida has great nervous energy. Gracia still has a way to go, but she's improved. A throwaway match, and Shida deserves more.

Abadon's attack continues after the bell

6) The Acclaimed vs Young Bucks. I think the entrance rap needs to go. It's just not working as well as the pretape. The match itself is exciting nonsense as I expected it to be. Bucks are dominant in the early phases but the Acclaimed absolutely look like they belong. Bowens in particular is a hell of a watchable athlete. This was a competitive match in the Young Bucks style where the new guys got a lot of time, a lot of offense, and several points where they credibly looked dominant. If the mission of the Bucks right now is to make stars out of the young guys, they're doing a good job. For a match where literally anyone on the planet could have called the outcome, this was very good.

This wasn't top five episodes of Dynamite ever, but I enjoyed it as it was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I feel like some of the rough edges got sanded off the Acclaimed this episode. The video was better and funnier than the rap on the way to the ring. Their in-ring was consistently good, especially from Bowens, and they were heelish in an entertaining way.

Now that they're properly established, they can go on to feud with other teams in the mid card. They'd be fun against Jurassic Express (you could have them do a rap about Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy, and then Sammy do a comedy song about them) or Best Friends.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

I too want Sammy to join his bff in Jurassic Epress

Marko is lil Sammy now

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

If the Acclaimed can get through future diss tracks without cringey stuff about men on their periods they’ll be very good, to me

I wouldn't be surprised if someone had a word with Max after that. It felt like the Buck Hunt vid was made later and was distinctly closer to a version of the gimmick that works on a national level.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ICR posted:

AEW DARK NEXT WEEK PLAYAS

• ⁠Aaron Solow vs Sammy Guevara
• ⁠Lindsay Snow vs Penelope Ford
• ⁠SCU vs The Hybrid2
• ⁠Santana & Ortiz vs Terrence & Terrell Hughes
• ⁠Danny Limelight vs Matt Sydal
• ⁠Leva Bates vs Madi Wrenkowski
• ⁠Anny Jay vs Jazmin Allure
• ⁠Fuego Del Sol vs Griff Garrison
• ⁠Rey Fenix vs Vary Morales
• ⁠Dark Order (John Silver & Alex Reynolds) vs Shawn Dean & Tyson Maddux
• ⁠Tay Conti vs Vertvixen
• ⁠Chaos Project vs Ariel Levy & El Cuervo de Puerto Rico
• ⁠Ryzin, Nick Comoroto, & James Tapia vs Team Taz
• ⁠Royal Money, Baron Black, & Mike Verna vs Gunn Club

https://mobile.twitter.com/AEW/status/1342138564277108736

Fuego vs Griff is going to make for an awesome Sammy vlog.

Limelight / Sydal is going to absolutely whip.

SCU / TH2 should be a belter, as should Solow vs Guevara

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

a match against Leva is a good stress-test for a wrestler, though. What can you do against an opponent who is charismatic, popular, and distinctly limited in the ring?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If Solow is signed, that would make him the fifth AEW wrestler I know of who is in a long term relationship with a WWE wrestler (Britt / Adam Cole, Miro / Lana, Swole / Cedric, Spears / Peyton Royce, and Solow / Bayley). Unless I'm missing people.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It does feel like a good slice of the Sting / Omega bump has dissolved even if this is still a solid rating. Keeping a within-variance rating despite a shifted uncertain timeslot is pretty impressive though.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

When Penelope first started getting matches frequently I was dubious because while she is athletic and has a couple of great looking spots her matches never felt very cohesive. However she has improved considerably and seems to feel comfortable running a match in a way she never was before.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Waffleopolis posted:

Would this be a good idea to bring in Sean Dean to aid Chuck and Orange in the Best Friends/Kip & Miro feud?

This could work. Get them booked in a trios match, have heels gloat that Best Friends don't have a third, then bring out the new friend, The Captain, Shawn Dean.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If they'd opened with the Bucks, I guarantee there would have been people in this thread saying they whiffed by not putting a well known wrestler like Jericho up first.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Thing is, they don't need to pull the trigger on everyone straight away. I'd rather see Miro involved in satisfying midcard stories until the right main event program opens up than see him shoot his shot and drop down the card. I like the stuff with Kip. I like the stuff with Best Friends. Would I like to see him in a singles program higher up the card? Yes, absolutely! Once he's finished with his current story.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

He's more a tweener than a face, but we know how good an Omega / PAC program would be. Because it was awesome when it happened before.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

My wife isn't really a wrestling fan but watches Being The Elite with me. First present on Christmas morning:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Big Shotty Lee front and centre in the AEW holiday card. https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1342465290601439232?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MJeff posted:

lol there isn't a single AEW Champion on that card.

Apart from the TNT champ, women's champ, tag champs and FTW champ?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Does Orange Cassidy have teleport powers?

He does, but he's too lazy to use them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

They're building to the Cage / Allin match in two weeks. Considering how many other stories there are in the company I'm content for this one to burn slowly without ripping through matches.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I don't mind Darby defending the title less. The every week defenses were very much a Cody thing, and did a good job of building up some early legitimacy in the belt, but they were his thing rather than a condition of holding the belt. Darby on the other hand has been involved with this thing with Team Taz and with Sting continually for about two months, so your choice for defending the belt would either be him jumping the gun and facing either Starks or Cage, or him facing unconnected people which wouldn't make sense for the story.

I'm looking forward to his match against Brian Cage, but I'm also happy to wait and not be impatient about it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Such a loss. Such a great man. I remember when I first started watching any indie wrestling seeing him and Grizzly Redwood as the Roughnecks and knowing he was something special. I remember how frustrating it was that WWE had no idea how to use this gift of a performer. I remember how right it felt when he came to AEW and how good he was in his role. Brodie Lee didn't have to be a big deal. Dark Order didn't have to be a big deal. He did that.

And I remember him talking about his family, in interviews and on podcasts, and how much he loved them.

You will be missed Brodie. One of the best people in the business.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The more this runs through my head the more it hurts. My mother in law died last month of something lung related (COPD and COVID-19) and thinking of Brodie is bringing that pain back.

And even as I write that it feels tacky to personalise this. I'm sorry.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Magical Sugar Rabbits and Riho trios team please.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It feels bad to bring up booking right now, and please let me know if I should shut up, but there's pretty much no way for the Dark Order not to be faces now, is there? It feels like they've been laying that long term groundwork anyway.

As mentioned, if this is too soon to discuss, please let me know

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Brodie mentioned the thing about feeling worn out after a peloton ride in his AEW Unrestricted podcast. Which dates it in a very specific way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0vMxPQ88I

God, this is just breaking my heart.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

there's a lot of fun comedy potential in Dark Order trying to be good guys under Hangman's influence and just getting it wrong. I'm thinking of the John C Reilly / Drax and Rocket bits from the end of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

oh poo poo, John has so obviously just finished crying when he's recording his bits.

And I'm nearly crying now.

He was so good. He was such a good person.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

he's sorry, he's sorry, he's trying to delete it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the reason the December 2019 Dark Order stuff stood out as bad was that it was one of the first points where AEW creative looked tired and formulaic. And also that it was the last Dynamite of the year. I'd actually enjoyed a fair few Dark Order bits up to this point, like them trying to recruit members of Jurassic Express, and the December 18 beatdown (with those awful worked punches) was one of AEW's first significant whiffs in terms of creative direction.

Thankfully they course corrected. Silver and Reynolds proved their worth and the whole Exalted One angle added interest. And then Mr Brodie as the Exalted One sealed the deal.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 28, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lethrom posted:

I dunno, Anna Jay dunking on Stu every BTE kinda makes that a hard sell for me. I love it, but kinda makes it hard to take him as a leader of DO seriously. I think Uno could fill the role pretty easily, at least on the mic.

Uno is definitely the natural spokesman, and has served well as leader in the November and December BTE skits. Hangman would be the good comedy choice, especially if he's not actually being their leader wittingly.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rantmo posted:

They were pretty close to over at Revolution, there were plenty of Spooky Perverts chants that were in support (mine included) and that was during peak "Exalted One is coming" season and Brodie was such a good pay-off, the deal was done at that point.

Also, remember when Colt Cabana debuted to help SCU against Dark Order? This storyline has gone places.

Cabana coming out was the first real absurd pop of that night. People were just happy for him that he got to come be part of this fun thing.

That was the last wrestling show I went to, on the last vacation I took that wasn't staying at home.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

"Hangman, would you like a drink?"

"uh, sure?"

"a nice Kentucky bourbon, or some delicious Bulgarian Rakia?"

"bourbon, I guess"

"at once. Guys, he wants us to beat up Chuck Taylor, tell Five and Ten to leave Miro alone"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

An annual Brodie Lee tournament leading up to a PPV title shot would be a nice touch. Possibly starting on the third show in March (whern he debuted) and building to Double Or Nothing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Good. Just celebrate him. Let people wrestle, let people talk, worry about stories later.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Saul Goode posted:

Jericho is no Zbyszko

"More like the Dark ODOR!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

BTE puts out a solid 20 minutes of fun content and hard jokes a week. Worth bearing in mind that they do this across a 30 minute show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

No Sammy today. Probably the right call. https://twitter.com/sammyguevara/status/1343958224224006149?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

OK, will people understand I mean it as the highest praise if I say this sounds like some of the music from Homestuck?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sorry about the homestuck derail, I just like the music.

Edit:

Grem posted:

Man, I don't usually watch Dark but this sequence is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V0Uzog1Ulo&t=1220s

Reynolds and Silver absolutely have the best double team game in the business. Not complicated setups, just tandem offense that relies on knowing your partner really well.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Something that the Brodie thing does heavily highlight is how much AEW is part of the wrestling ecosystem in a way that WWE isn't. It's not just that WWE talent were talking about Brodie, of course they were, it's that the AEW twitter account retweeted them like these were just other wrestlers in other companies and not The Enemy.

Or to pick another example, if one of the tributes to Brodie tonight came from Shingo Takagi, holding the NEVER Openweight title and talking about their matches in Dragon Gate, you'd be delighted to hear from him, but you wouldn't be surprised they put it in the show. Because other wrestling exists in the AEW world in a way it doesn't in the WWE Universe.

And that's a much healthier environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Grem posted:

Is there any livestream of AEW or is it just cable on TNT? Don't see anything on TNT's website.

You can watch live on the TNT app iirc.