Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey remember blockbusters? They're back, in streaming form!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW2E2Fnh52w

The sequel to the 2017 hit is not only going to cinemas this Christmas, but will also be available for 31 days on HBO Max.

(sorry this isn't a very informative thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Reviews I've read are pretty negative.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working
Watched it last night in the theater. It was really, surprisingly bad. Just bloated, rambling, boring. I'm genuinely shocked that no one during production raised flags about what a dud it was going to be.

I'm fine with a schlocky super-hero adventure, but this wasn't even that. There are like 3 action scenes in 2.5 hours, she spent what little time she was in costume pretending she was Superman (she can fly now, I guess? )- but also, she's Spiderman. I feel bad saying it but having seen Jenkin's video about her dad having been a fighter pilot, the entire movie felt like something that should have stayed in a therapists office. Personal discovery is great when its personal, its trite and grating when expressed through an already plot-by-committee movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hearing that this movie is two and a half hours long was unforgivable alone but yea the reviews seem to be a big pile of 'why does this exist, it's not terrible but just...why?'

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The familiar chill of a big wet blanket right before I see a hyped movie - my fault for falling for the advertising. Still gonna watch it tomorrow, but with lowered expectations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Space Fish posted:

The familiar chill of a big wet blanket right before I see a hyped movie - my fault for falling for the advertising. Still gonna watch it tomorrow, but with lowered expectations.

yea I mean it costs me literally nothing to wear pajamas and watch this movie at home so I'm still gonna watch it but I'm just expecting next to nothing.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
WW can fly, she flew in the previous film at least twice??

I wouldn't worry about what movie media/critics are saying, there's maybe 5 who are worth their salt and the rest are garbage and can be safely ignored.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I just want to congratulate WB, who got so upset at the idea of superheroes ever being flawed or sad that they retconned out the original plot that explained this. Now even the mainstream is starting to notice that this logically means Wonder Woman witnessed the Holocaust and did nothing about it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/wonder-woman-1984-review-an-empty-spectacle.html

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's simple, in the Warner Bros Detective Comics Cinematic Universe, Wonder Woman averted the holocaust

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Pirate Jet posted:

I just want to congratulate WB, who got so upset at the idea of superheroes ever being flawed or sad that they retconned out the original plot that explained this. Now even the mainstream is starting to notice that this logically means Wonder Woman witnessed the Holocaust and did nothing about it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/wonder-woman-1984-review-an-empty-spectacle.html

interesting progression with this: the original WW elided over the downbeat backstory established in BvS without explicitly retconning or contradicting it; the theatrical cut of Justice League retconned it with a couple lines from Diana about how she helped "when needed," implying that she was still active, albeit covertly, in the 90 years between WW and BvS; and now apparently WW 1984 just discards it entirely with no explanation

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I SUBSCRIBED TO HBO MAX FOR THIS??!!

I dunno maybe I’ll see it tomorrow after some whiskey and gin drinks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did they gently caress up the release? Was supposed to be up ten minutes ago.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Did they gently caress up the release? Was supposed to be up ten minutes ago.

12 noon, not 12 midnight.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I just watched it! It was.. inoffensively boring? Very generic and the best way I can describe my impression of it was there was a deeper, queerer movie touching on feminism issues that got shivved somewhere in production to make it into a much blander movie. Also the action sequences were super floaty. I'm not sure if it was because it was meant for 3D and I was in 2D but hits didn't have weight, you couldn't feel the blows connect and heavy lifts looked weightless and effortless. The way the hero scenes were framed you could feel the greenscreen behind them.

I can give deeper thoughts if people want?

ETA what am I asking for I absolutely want to give you my opinion regardless.

Okay, so there was a way better movie that was smothered under the most boring male villain journey, with a complete abandonment of creativity or norm-threatening audience-angering feminism/queerness themes. Yet it's done so obviously that... you can't help but see the movie that isn't there. You can hear the telltale beating heart under the floorboards when Barbara or Diana are getting harassed/objectified by men, you can see the fragments in their dialogue born of their different childhoods and experiences with power. It's not even subtext so much as it's text, fragmented, and then the direction going "Our target audience thinks Captain Marvel is the witchdevil, can we move the camera back to the man villain and give him an inexplicable amount of screentime?"

1. This movie is too long and a large part of it is they show the same scenes of "Jerkoff villain making wishes with other powerful dudes" juxtaposed with "sad son wants his daddy" over and over. They can't just let you fill in the blanks... Every single minor step of his journey is shown. The moment where he raises the walls around the city? Fine, stake raising, makes sense to establish this power is very dangerous even if honestly it's not very impactful because the CGI in this movie is just super floaty and green-screen.

But then we have sequences of:
1. Scene where he gets someone to wish he could meet the president. He gets sicker. Sad son.
2. Scene where he gets in a car and gets someone to wish he could have a perfect drive. He gets sicker. Sad son.
3. Scene where he gets to the white house and gets the president to wish. He gets sicker. Sad son.
4. Scene where he-- etc. etc.

Nothing can be left to the imagination but nothing happens. There's no emotional development, there's no threat or danger of the wish misfiring in interesting ways, it's run padding. Did we really need it shown that he gets the guy to wish for good traffic? No! It feels like his arc is "Desperately trying to avoid cinemasins claiming it's a plothole because it happened offscreen".

2. The focus on him completely takes away from Diana and Barbara and it's tragic, because Barbara has a really interesting potential in a movie not aimed for the blandest possible market appeal. Hell, the early scene where she's walking in a dark park, and her ankle wobbles in those heels and the drunk guy starts harassing her? Infinitely more tense and thrilling than any other scene in the movie because it was a grounded and threatening in a way that every too-long slow-mo "flip a truck" CGI shot missed the mark on. I was really surprised about how the objectifying male gaze was shown in the early movie because it was ever-present and not just used for a simple beat joke. You don't get "one bad guy and everyone else is great." You see men leering at the women trying to do work out at the gym, harassing, catcalling, objectifying and dismissing in the bars, in the street, etc.

And in a better movie, we stay focused on Barbara, because it's really the story of her dealing with the patriarchy. Wanting to be like Diana, who is so empowered she can effortlessly one-shot the threat of sexual assault and who seems completely untouched by the patriarchy, who can walk through a dark park in seven inch heels untouched, but with Barbara coaching her first wish at the surface level as shaped by what is privileged in patriarchal society: sexiness, coolness, to be popular. Then later on we get the real underlying desire: to be an apex predator. To never be the woman stumbling in her heels, shouting desperately in a park. To be monstrous and powerful and completely outside society's constraints.

And in their battle dialogue it almost addresses how Diana, who's never felt the threat and the burden of growing up limited by the patriarchy, facing that sort of daily low-level victimization, can't understand what Barbara's giving up by giving that up again... in a very weird way where none of the conversation makes sense because they basically had one scene together before sadson and failman took up all the screentime.

3. Barbara should have been gay-er, skip the failman gently caress scene with a potential romance between Diana and Barbara brewing... interrupted by her "old friend" returning. I say "gay-er" because seriously, she's gay. It's the text of the scene: they have a meet cute where the men ignore helping her and her white knight Diana swoops in classic romantic hero style. Barbara is obviously star-struck by her beauty, visibly checks out her body and legs and then stutteringly invites her for lunch in a movie where every meal is symbolic of romantic status. Their conversation at the meal involves Barbara talking about how Diana seems SUPER OUT, SO OUT OF THE CLOSET, like i'm paraphrasing barely and there is a dialogue which is just Barbara saying how OUT Diana.

4. Basically this entire movie should have been Barbara and Diana + Steve's return. I have absolutely no idea why instead of building any interesting characterisation or dialogue between the heroes and the good girl turned bad we need 12938933 scenes of failman and sadson.

5. The post-credits sequence was cute for my mum, though.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 25, 2020

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Oh, while I'm at it -- I can only assume the Barbara scene where for some reason, her kicking the rear end of a catcaller who tried to sexually assault her in a park, then tried to grab her AGAIN on the street when she confronted him verbally and say he'd pick up where they left off before (aka did not learn his lesson from the first time and is still attacking women on the street), is framed as part of her growing villainy and loss of humanity/kindness was written by a man. Because that is 101 female power fantasy revenge narrative and instead the story seems to be trying to get the audience to go "Oh no, she's turned bad! She's going too far!" when basically any male hero like Batman does far worse to thugs doing less evil crimes while the audience is meant to cheer. I don't think I've met many ladies who would react to that scene with "oh no, but the serial abuser is bleeding pitifully and sad music is playing" rather than "kick him in the dick again!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The first WW movie was okay, but having Wiig in this one makes it a hard pass.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man this movie’s tone is... all over the place? I’m about an hour in and can’t tell what this movie is trying to do and how it’s spending it’s time

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Operation Wolf came out in 1987. Movie ruint.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why do the "supposed to be ugly" and the "supposed to be hot" Kirsten Wig look exactly the same? Is it supposed to be an 80s movie makeover joke?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m confused. Has that guy actually turned into Chris Pine, or is it still the other guy’s face and Diana’s just imagining him as Chris Pine?

ok the movie answered that as I was typing

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Movie was alright.

I thought it was refreshing for a superhero movie not to be another set of rogue's gallery boss fights.

Having a fake Donald Trump saved by the Truth to renounce his pact with Satan which leads us to world peace. It's definitely a Christmas movie.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That was.. uneven but okay. It's not a terrible movie, but it really felt like there were a few scenes missing or the script could have used a few more passes or better editing. idk how your movie is 2.5 hours long and both villains are so poorly developed. In before the studio mandated a shorter runtime even though the cut scenes make the movie worse ie Kingdom of Heaven.

All the scenes with Chris Pine being clueless about the era were great.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I liked the end credits scene.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man I’m a sucker whenever any movie uses the Sunshine soundtrack and this was no exception.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The poster who described it as boring was spot on. It wasn’t bad but for a 2.5 hour superhero movie it seemed like there could have been a lot more action and character development.

I think the issue for Diana’s super speed is that they tried to show it from our point of view while making her still visible. I think Snyder did it better in BvS and MoS where were either see them as a blur from out POV or we see them moving normally and everyone else at a standstill from their POV.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 25, 2020

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Not shocked this movie was bad. The last was one was also bad! Never understood why everyone loved it. it was so loving boring

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I would’ve been pissed if I paid movie theater prices to see this. It just feels cheap.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Blue Raider posted:

I would’ve been pissed if I paid movie theater prices to see this. It just feels cheap.

The plot hoops they needed to jump through to get Chris Pine back in the movie was probably the dumbest part for me.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Does this movie have an iconic WTF scene that everyone will point to as proof the production couldn't say no to bad ideas?

Which portion will Patrick Willems use to tell me I don't understand movies?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does her lasso have like magnets attached to it so it always coils up to her side after each use? It annoyed me way more than it should but I just couldn't stop noticing it.

I thought it was alright nothing amazing but not utter trash.

I agree that Barbara should have been more the focus point of the movie.

I didn't necessarily hate the whole wish thing but trying to have the whole world wish is just beyond what I want to see and doesn't make that much sense. If I wish for no one's wish to come true, does mine and theirs? or just mine? Probably wrong of me to think of logic in a comic book movie but I am.

I did enjoy Pedro's performance. And clueless Chris Pine was great in every scene.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think the issue for Diana’s super speed is that they tried to show it from our point of view while making her still visible. I think Snyder did it better in BvS and MoS where were either see them as a blur from out POV or we see them moving normally and everyone else at a standstill from their POV.

It felt like during her 'runs' she had no weight to her body. Like standing on a moving walkway (at the airport) at high speed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just finished this. First impression leaves me thinking "well, the first one is absolutely better" and... that's almost it? What a weird movie. There's a large chunk where this never feels like a superhero genre film, despite the narrative ramping up to levels of excess typical of one. Like, aside from the opening scene we don't enter another set piece until Diana and Steve go to Egypt, and that felt like an eternity to get to that point. Expounding on that, I know it's a cliche thing to criticize, but the pacing of this felt way off; few too many action beats to break up the drama and then the climax happens in muddled fashion, whose resolution feels saccharine and really unearned.

About the only memorable moments are the use of John Murphy's Surface of the Sun during Diana's first flight, but it's only memorable in its distraction. Why couldn't Hans come up with something original using her theme at that part? I did sorta like the use of Beautiful Lie though, since I guess you can describe that as an "in-universe" or "in-house" theme and it ties into the narrative, but it is kind of odd having WW appropriate that cue for the climax of her own film. As with a lot of the movie, using those two tracks — especially with how distinct the Murphy track is — was a weird choice for such significant moments imo.

The cast was great though. Fine performances from everyone; Gadot is just the perfect WW. But again, it's a weird movie. I'll have to watch it again tonight to process more, but my initial takeaway is yeah, it's weird and it was just ok.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Does this movie have an iconic WTF scene that everyone will point to as proof the production couldn't say no to bad ideas?

Several, but one involving an airport is so extra and nonsensical that I can’t imagine even writing it in a script first draft much less filming it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Digital Jedi posted:

It felt like during her 'runs' she had no weight to her body. Like standing on a moving walkway (at the airport) at high speed.

Same with her flying, the issue is the hair. The hair is just lightly blown by I’m assuming a lovely ikea fan while literally being dragged by a plane she latched herself to then flying on her own. At the speeds she’s running and flying/freefalling that hair would need to be doing all sorts of things to reflect the wind she’d be going against.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hate her gold suit at the end. It looks like it's from that awful Gods of Egypt movie.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 25, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

So yeah, just did a quick scrub through, and once the montage of flashback/heroic acts/mall scene ends during the first ~15 minutes, we literally don't get another significant action beat until over an hour later.

What the hell, lol.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

So yeah, just did a quick scrub through, and once the montage of flashback/heroic acts/mall scene ends during the first ~15 minutes, we literally don't get another significant action beat until over an hour later.

What the hell, lol.

This feels like two, maybe three, separate movies all mashed into one. Like the structure and final "fight" is... just talking it out? Ok sure if the Barbara fight had been great or visceral or challenging in any way but... it wasn't. She arrives, takes care of Barbara in 2 minutes then goes in to talk Max to renouncing the wish from powers of an old god we never see or deal with.

Not saying every DC movie need an Ares/Doomsday brawl but... man Diana doesn't really get to flex or use her full strength like at all in the entire movie. She fights the mall robbers effortlessly, she (weakened) fights the caravan guards then she fights (weakened further) some DC guards and the station forces which were like 6 guys.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 25, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

coolusername posted:

Oh, while I'm at it -- I can only assume the Barbara scene where for some reason, her kicking the rear end of a catcaller who tried to sexually assault her in a park, then tried to grab her AGAIN on the street when she confronted him verbally and say he'd pick up where they left off before (aka did not learn his lesson from the first time and is still attacking women on the street), is framed as part of her growing villainy and loss of humanity/kindness was written by a man. Because that is 101 female power fantasy revenge narrative and instead the story seems to be trying to get the audience to go "Oh no, she's turned bad! She's going too far!" when basically any male hero like Batman does far worse to thugs doing less evil crimes while the audience is meant to cheer. I don't think I've met many ladies who would react to that scene with "oh no, but the serial abuser is bleeding pitifully and sad music is playing" rather than "kick him in the dick again!"

Absolutely emptyquoting this. My parents and I all wondered why this was being presented as villainous when it was kinda great

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Absolutely emptyquoting this. My parents and I all wondered why this was being presented as villainous when it was kinda great

Yeah, this movie does a lot of weird things lol.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Why was this movie two and a half hours long?

Mister Kingdom posted:

The first WW movie was okay, but having Wiig in this one makes it a hard pass.

Honestly I thought Wiig was really good. Certainly better than I thought she'd be when I heard she was being cast in a comic book movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wiig was great, yeah. But WB execs are cowards for not making Barbara gay as hell.