Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what computer did you get for christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
i received 0 (zero) gifts with any electronics inside them, op. the way god intended.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I bought myself a new distributor. it’s like a computer except very analog.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I bought some video games, and i'm pretending I can buy a new video card some time next year

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

gramma you fukkin idiot this is an ATI CARD not fukking NVIDIA

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

gramma you fukkin idiot this is an CYRIX 486 not fukking INTEL

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

an akai sampler an ipad air and an i7-9700k

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

computing is for nerds

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

TOOT BOOT posted:

computing is for nerds

you must love it then!!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I got a single malt Scottish whiskey.

and lego for some loving reason. controlled by a smartphone app. the kids were stoked.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

my work laptop with evening shifts for all of the christmas days and new years eve!

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

and lego for some loving reason. controlled by a smartphone app. the kids were stoked.
Is *that* how they make a single piece of lego on the floor always underfoot in the dark?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

gramma you fukkin idiot this is an ATI CARD not fukking NVIDIA

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
the man at best buy said this is the labtop that all the kids are using this year

*unwraps a chromebook*

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i actually was really lucky and my parents got me a brand-new computer for christmas when i was 13. it was some NEC tower, with a pentium 2, a DVD-ROM drive (!!!), 8 gigabytes of hard drive space, 64 megabytes of RAM, 17" monitor, and they even threw in a microsoft force feedback joystick. just absolutely incredible.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
in retrospect i wonder how much that was driven by my dad wanting me to stop bugging him to use his computer to play all the games my old 486 couldn't handle

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i actually was really lucky and my parents got me a brand-new computer for christmas when i was 13. it was some NEC tower, with a pentium 2, a DVD-ROM drive (!!!), 8 gigabytes of hard drive space, 64 megabytes of RAM, 17" monitor, and they even threw in a microsoft force feedback joystick. just absolutely incredible.

oh man. i remember when 64 mg of ram was the hot poo poo. :allears:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yeah absolutely. my computer came bundled with Total Annihilation and i remember some early LAN parties with my friends where there were certain maps we couldn't choose because their computers didn't have enough RAM.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hell same, but gateway

i remember seeing the hologram sticker on the pentium 2 case and thinking that was the actual processor lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

a more civilized age

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pram posted:

i remember seeing the hologram sticker on the pentium 2 case and thinking that was the actual processor lol

lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

President Beep posted:

oh man. i remember when 64 mg of ram was the hot poo poo. :allears:

64 milligrams of ram

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

pram posted:

a more civilized age

drat remember when cpus didn't need 400 fans on them to keep them cool or they erupted in to flames?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Minnesota Mixup posted:

drat remember when cpus didn't need 400 fans on them to keep them cool or they erupted in to flames?

by far the biggest single component in my first computer was the hard drive. there was no graphics card and the cpu was a normal looking quad pack ic with no fan or heat sink.

now hard drives are the size of a stick of gum and the two most massive things in the case are the cooling systems for the cpu and gpu

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I can still passively cool mine pretty much fine.

Of course it's because there's about two pounds of copper in a heat spreader.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
my first computer wasn’t a Christmas present but my parents did get me the mouse for Christmas that year

I spent so much time with MousePaint and Dazzle Draw on my IIc, when I wasn’t programming or playing games

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
right after the Pentium III came out I had a schoolmate ask me why their Internet didn’t speed up. they had bought the internet processor!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
makes u think

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Hed posted:

right after the Pentium III came out I had a schoolmate ask me why their Internet didn’t speed up. they had bought the internet processor!
he obviously didn’t leverage the full potential of the Intel® WebOutfitter(SM)Service which is on the provided CD-ROM that is mailed to you when you register your Intel® Pentium® III Processor using the included registration form :)

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I have a fond Christmas memory of getting an IBM Thinkpad from my Dad in the early 00's.

A good gift

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I got a coffee maker that has some computer things in it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i got a pair of socks op

xmas is a good excuse to dump some old e-waste onto other people though

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm at my parents' for christmas, so I'm taking the opportunity to go through a bunch of old computers to image all the drives for future nostalgia purposes

so far the only casualty has been one half of an external SCSI drive, which didn't spin up

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Soiled Meat
i got an aerogarden as a gift and im assuming theirs a computer in there somewhere or maybe its just a 555 timer with a divider

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

by far the biggest single component in my first computer was the hard drive. there was no graphics card and the cpu was a normal looking quad pack ic with no fan or heat sink.

now hard drives are the size of a stick of gum and the two most massive things in the case are the cooling systems for the cpu and gpu

the maths are far too difficult for a human to do but what got bigger hard drive sizes or tranny counts

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

I'm at my parents' for christmas, so I'm taking the opportunity to go through a bunch of old computers to image all the drives for future nostalgia purposes

so far the only casualty has been one half of an external SCSI drive, which didn't spin up

I found a stack of old 2940 and 3940 scsi controllers at my folks this holiday...

the great connector feel of the 80 pin SE cable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the maths are far too difficult for a human to do but what got bigger hard drive sizes or tranny counts

Well I had a 40MB hard drive and a 68030 processor vs today a 2TB NVMe drive and a ryzen 3900

273,000 transistors vs 9.9 billion
40 million bytes vs 2 trillion

So the hard drive got 50,000 times bigger while the processor got 35,000 times as many transistors. Close but the storage edges it out

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hed posted:

I found a stack of old 2940 and 3940 scsi controllers at my folks this holiday...

the great connector feel of the 80 pin SE cable

nice. the 2940 is a classic. I've got one in my G3 that I'm using to pull a lot of these disk images

i don't think I've seen a cable with SCA on it, just backplanes. whats that used in?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was going off memory and got it wrong. there were 80 pin connectors but I’m talking about the HD68 connector:

I can feel it in my hands

edit: to fix the pic

Hed fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember years ago i grabbed a couple of 15k scsi drives off ebay without realizing they had 80 pin connectors instead of 68 pin, so i wound up grabbing a couple of 80-68 pin adapters. looked janky as heck but it worked lol