Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, I'm contesting the meaning of the phrase. I'm attempting to argue that when someone says, "no, I'm not a lazy writer", they can be guilty of the stuff you're talking about -- and I agree that RTD can often be so -- but they can also accurately claim not be lazy.

I'm agreeing with you.

In that case, I am in fact guilty of misinterpreting your post myself; as the Second Doctor said to Omega, I am thoroughly repentant. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In that case, I am in fact guilty of misinterpreting your post myself; as the Second Doctor said to Omega, I am thoroughly repentant. :sweatdrop:

And as the Fifth Doctor said to Omega in the obscure BF release of the same name, I am very good at prattling.

All good friendo.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish are having a Dalek sale for the next week.

I'm torn between The War Doctor or The Eighth Doctor Time War series, since the bundles are discounted right now. For me, 8 is the definitive audio Doctor, so I was going to carry on with the boxsets as budgeting allowed, but since the War Doctor series is finished (for sad reasons), I'm leaning towards that. The Eighth Doctor Time War has got good reviews, but they seem to imply that the ending leaves another installment possible, so I might leave that for now, so I can get it in a future bundle. Is the War Doctor worth it for £56?

I'm also probably going to get Patient Zero, since the 6th/Charley audios are rarely discounted. Anything else that's essential listening in regards to the Daleks? I already have Davros on CD, and it's on spotify too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Big Finish are having a Dalek sale for the next week.

I'm torn between The War Doctor or The Eighth Doctor Time War series, since the bundles are discounted right now. For me, 8 is the definitive audio Doctor, so I was going to carry on with the boxsets as budgeting allowed, but since the War Doctor series is finished (for sad reasons), I'm leaning towards that. The Eighth Doctor Time War has got good reviews, but they seem to imply that the ending leaves another installment possible, so I might leave that for now, so I can get it in a future bundle. Is the War Doctor worth it for £56?

I'm also probably going to get Patient Zero, since the 6th/Charley audios are rarely discounted. Anything else that's essential listening in regards to the Daleks? I already have Davros on CD, and it's on spotify too.

I'd argue that neither of the big Time War sets are that great. They're also not particularly serialised, i.e they're not like Doom Coalition or Ravenous where a problem is introduced, accelerated, and reaches a conclusion over four sets. Some of the behind the scenes stuff for The Time War (the Eighth Doctor set, I mean) make it sound like a right mess, thanks to actor availability problems and confusion about the general direction and content of the arc; e.g. a lot of the stories were written before they knew they'd have a companion character involved in the plots, so she had to be added into them at the last minute. (It shows). I'm hoping that whatever continuation they decide on actually has some sort of arc planned out this time.

Also there are a bunch of amnesia episodes.

Brotherhood of the Daleks is a Six and Charley release that's discounted, and I'd recommend it. (it comes before Patient Zero, which is one of the last stories in that arc.) I like Patient Zero too, though the final story in that arc is pants.

I'd also recommend the Bernice set that's discounted, The New Adventures Volume 1. It's very good, and is interested in doing new things with the Daleks, unlike pretty much every War Doctor / Time War story.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also there are a bunch of amnesia episodes.

Well yes, they are 8th Doctor stories after all!

Anyway, goddamn FINALLY some new Doctor Who :hellyeah:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I almost totally forgot this was on tonight! And I'm really struggling to remember how the last series ended.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I almost totally forgot this was on tonight! And I'm really struggling to remember how the last series ended.

The Master told the Doctor some lies, then got killed forever (he'll be back soon).

Edit: That's a good explanation for why they're the same design as Resolution!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 1, 2021

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

The Master told the Doctor some lies, then got killed forever (he'll be back soon).

I remember it being bad, but I cant specifically remember if we saw the doctor being put into prison or if I only knew about it from the trailers...

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And drat right I'll double post while new doctor who is airing: Is that the first non-moffat appearance of a weeping angel? (meaning not an episode he wrote or was show runner for)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SiKboy posted:

I remember it being bad, but I cant specifically remember if we saw the doctor being put into prison or if I only knew about it from the trailers...

Yes, the Doc ending up in prison was the cliffhanger ending. Functioned like the ship crashing through the wall of the TARDIS from the end of Tenant season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Is that the first non-moffat appearance of a weeping angel? (meaning not an episode he wrote or was show runner for)

I think so, yes.

Still determined that those tally marks on the wall are for the number of minutes she's been locked up :colbert:

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
Doctor Terf

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I forgot you were here" :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, even the evil billionaire knows this was a terrible idea.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Who is an expert on weapons technology AND cloning? And we're back with the backpack DALEK I see.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ah yes, now to carefully open the box with the alien monster inside.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The TARDIS could have redecorated in the meantime :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This is moving so slowly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Who is an expert on weapons technology AND cloning? And we're back with the backpack DALEK I see.

I liked how that worked in Resolution, and this is basically a sequel so I'm okay with that. Just hope it doesn't become the default thing now.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

This is moving so slowly.

Yeah, kind of feels like they are trying to fit an hours worth of plot into an hour and 15 minutes worth of time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

:siren: SQUARENESS GUN :siren:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm a little confused on the timeline here, did the Dalek start up the Osaka facility BEFORE the guy revealed it to Robertson and was told to destroy it?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

I liked how that worked in Resolution, and this is basically a sequel so I'm okay with that. Just hope it doesn't become the default thing now.

Yeah, I kind of liked it in Resolution, but really as a one-off. Feels like a gimmick that could have been been given to a different alien.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

I'm a little confused on the timeline here, did the Dalek start up the Osaka facility BEFORE the guy revealed it to Robertson and was told to destroy it?

He said something about connecting it to something and it recognised systems, so maybe it did it online then? I guess?

Edit: Oh, they're facehuggers now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

He said something about connecting it to something and it recognised systems, so maybe it did it online then? I guess?

Yeah, unless I missed something specifically referencing it I'm assuming this must have been what happened. I do like the idea that it was already pulling some bullshit well before anybody else even knew it existed.

Ironically the episode has been slow paced and then the "Security Drones" get spread out across the country in like 10 seconds of being introduced to the public.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What an awful loving year to reiterate the Doctors love of Harry Potter by having her recite a line that sounds practically TERFy in context.

So far none of the problem of the last season have been fixed. All awful stuff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So the Doctor just sat in prison for 7 thousand years without doing anything about it? :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

So the Doctor just sat in prison for 7 thousand years without doing anything about it? :psyduck:

I missed the 7000 year line, earlier she said it had been a few decades? Regardless, I don't like that it was Jack who broke her out, she was way too passive about being imprisoned and I don't buy for a second she wouldn't have been able to figure out a way to escape (or at least caused some problems for her captors).

Edit: Oh yeah, there's the explanation for how the facility got built.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kind of feel like its expecting us to feel bad for Leo, but I cant shake the "He died because he was a massive dumbfuck about basically everything" feeling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"The Daleks can never know I, the Doctor, am here.... so let's land on the top of the bridge where the Daleks are having their family squabble!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, we’re re-doing Remembrance but not nearly as good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I feel like the Doctor wouldnt kill a TARDIS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I feel like the Doctor wouldnt kill a TARDIS.

Yeah that felt really odd. Also I'm trying to remember, that was Ruth's TARDIS right? I thought that was just the Doctor's TARDIS from an earlier period in her life, not an entirely different one? Or have I just completely forgotten where she got the spare from?

Edit: Ryan and Graham leaving feels completely off, like it should be the culmination of an entirely different episode.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 2, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Ryan and Graham leaving feels completely off, like it should be the culmination of an entirely different episode.

It was a pretty good scene, and Ryan growing up and finding his place in the world seems like a decent end point for the character. But it's come completely out of left-field.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was a pretty good scene, and Ryan growing up and finding his place in the world seems like a decent end point for the character. But it's come completely out of left-field.

Yeah, I liked that last scene between Ryan and Graham but where the hell did it come from? That whole episode felt weirdly put together, like we're just doing giant public alien invasions and mass deaths and then everything going back to normal stories again? The tone of the thing was all over the place.

And somebody called John Bishop is gonna be the new companion, I have no idea who that is but looking him up he's a footballer/comedian?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that felt really odd. Also I'm trying to remember, that was Grace's TARDIS right? I thought that was just the Doctor's TARDIS from an earlier period in her life, not an entirely different one? Or have I just completely forgotten where she got the spare from?

Its the Tardis she used to drop the fam off last episode. It disguised itself as a semi-detached house. They met in it this episode at the start.

Aside from some nice imagery and effects work at the end that was, overall, absolute rubbish.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It disguised itself as a semi-detached house. They met in it this episode at the start.

Yeah I saw all that part, I just couldn't remember where it actually came from until I read this...

PriorMarcus posted:

Its the Tardis she used to drop the fam off last episode.

...and remembered they were on Gallifrey in the last episode and that's where they got it from. It's been waaaaay too long between seasons.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I liked that last scene between Ryan and Graham but where the hell did it come from? That whole episode felt weirdly put together, like we're just doing giant public alien invasions and mass deaths and then everything going back to normal stories again? The tone of the thing was all over the place.

And somebody called John Bishop is gonna be the new companion, I have no idea who that is but looking him up he's a footballer/comedian?

I feel like there was an early draft where Graham/Ryan had used the intervening 10 months to actually build something with their lives that they were doing something useful in their community. But then that got cut and we're left with this weird half-story.

John Bishop owns, and I think he's gonna be a great companion. Although he's gonna be bringing pretty much the same vibes as Bradley Walsh.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Soooooo if the old-style bronze Daleks killed anyone in the space of time between them killing the Drone-Daleks and them all piling into that other TARDIS - and they're Daleks, they definitely did kill people - all of those deaths are on The Doctor's hands, right? She let Daleks invade the Earth and they definitely killed people as a direct result of her actions? But I guess the episode never showed it so it's fine.

I liked the scene between Yas and Jack as it's always nice to have characters that are from totally different places and times talk to each other and compare experiences. It would be nice to have a dynamic like that in the show full time but I guess it's against BBC law to have a companion from anywhere other than contemporary Earth so we get John Bishop putting a box in the back of a van.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What a weird episode, it felt like Chibnall trying to ape RTD like he used to do when he was just a writer for the show. Similar to those efforts, he still doesn't seem to quite get why RTD could make stuff like that work (in the moment at least). There were a lot of cool ideas that taken in isolation might work or you could build an episode around, but chained together it was just a jumbled mess. The Doctor was waaaaay too passive, and as a follow-up to the cliffhanger from last season it really fell flat.