Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Question

Did they have the Doctor, the first lady Doctor of the show's run, quote Harry Potter after a years worth of time of JKR going full TERF full time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I gotta admit that scene where the Daleks almost eat Jack and Yaz was cool and made the Daleks feel threatening.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Burkion posted:

Question

Did they have the Doctor, the first lady Doctor of the show's run, quote Harry Potter after a years worth of time of JKR going full TERF full time

You're the only other person I've seen mention this and it immediately and totally soured me on the episode.

Which a loving joke.

The choice of quote too, whilst I understand it was the start of the book, felt extra loving grotesque.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I'm going to show my old age here and say it always makes me cringe when the Doctor quotes or references relatively recent pop culture stuff. Like I don't mind him referencing Shakespeare or Dickens or Alice in Wonderland, but referencing some modern pop-culture ephemera (as in, it's popular nowadays and likely will be completely forgotten in the next 25-50 years) like Harry Potter sounds like a show that's desperately trying to convince the audience of just how cool and hip and "with it" it is. It's probably just me projecting my disdain for most pop culture trends upon the show, though, but it always just kinda irks me when it happens. I feel like something should be exceptionally good to grab the attention of a nigh-immortal time-traveling alien, and Harry Potter books ain't that (to say nothing of the problematic pile of crap J.K. Rowling's become).

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
They have a scene of Yaz getting a sample of the nutrient in order to analyze it and then just have the Dalek state it.

So they even set up a way for the characters to be active and discover the (well worn, and unnecessary) Shocking Truth themselves, and... cue monologue.

Also, has Chibnall written any episodes without long sections of 13 doing nothing besides walking to each set piece to inertly listen to the other characters lay everything out? He just doesn't write her as particularly active in her own story.

However: I'm seeing this with ads and I can only manage a "meh" as all my outrage is taken up by the promos for the "Watch" series. (First promo: binge drinking treated as a joke, and not only is it 'wacky' when Vimes does it, Lady Sybil (now a thin, extra-sexualized, shooty, one-liner spouting, vigilante) joins in.)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm going to show my old age here and say it always makes me cringe when the Doctor quotes or references relatively recent pop culture stuff. Like I don't mind him referencing Shakespeare or Dickens or Alice in Wonderland, but referencing some modern pop-culture ephemera (as in, it's popular nowadays and likely will be completely forgotten in the next 25-50 years) like Harry Potter sounds like a show that's desperately trying to convince the audience of just how cool and hip and "with it" it is. It's probably just me projecting my disdain for most pop culture trends upon the show, though, but it always just kinda irks me when it happens. I feel like something should be exceptionally good to grab the attention of a nigh-immortal time-traveling alien, and Harry Potter books ain't that (to say nothing of the problematic pile of crap J.K. Rowling's become).

Harry Potter is already nearly 25 years old, I don't know why you're talking like it's some new thing that people are gonna forget

Like, the cultural cache it has is part of the reason Rowling's bigotry is so harmful compared to the average transphobe

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It was, as all of Chibnall’s Who has been, kinda sloppy but I was glad to see the Doc again.

Did like Chris Noth, it’s kinda hard to do a Trumpian character in fiction because Trump himself is too petty and lovely to even be a fictional character but I think he is a more tolerable scummy guy.

The major problem I felt was that it was such a sequel to the last holiday special. Like ya gotta give us something new.

That and they’re trying to play through the repercussions of Timeless Child but there really aren’t any?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

PriorMarcus posted:

You're the only other person I've seen mention this and it immediately and totally soured me on the episode.

Which a loving joke.

The choice of quote too, whilst I understand it was the start of the book, felt extra loving grotesque.

There's a decent chance that Chibnall did it on purpos. I'm not, to be clear, accusing him of anything--I simply don't know. But he is from TERF Island and in the orbit of people like Gareth Roberts.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I actually liked the meat of the episode but Chibnall is just so grounded, he doesn't play and have fun. How great would a montage of the Doctor escaping and being brought back to prison over and over again have been?!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That certainly was an episode of Doctor Who written by Chris Chibnall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'm weirdly bummed that the Doctor was in prison and never broke out to go on an adventure with River.

Big Finish: Oh we'll just see about that!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Yah this episode wasn't bad, heck it isn't even close to the worst Dalek episode since the revival. It just not got to a big high. I think someone just nailed it in that Chinball is kind of adverse to risk taking.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

York_M_Chan posted:

I actually liked the meat of the episode but Chibnall is just so grounded, he doesn't play and have fun. How great would a montage of the Doctor escaping and being brought back to prison over and over again have been?!

Yeah, I'd excuse the lack of ambition if Chibnall, unlike RTD and Moffat just focused on getting the basic storytelling as tight as possible, but it's still sloppy, so Hell, go big!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I enjoyed it well enough

Only major gripe was letting Trump live

Felt rather rushed at the start though

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Keep in mind that Harry Potter has been around long enough that the TENTH doctor referenced "Book 7" before that book even had a publicly known title. That series was basically THE childhood literature for an entire generation. Referencing Harry Potter is akin to referencing Star Trek or The Lord of the Rings, it's a cultural institution. If it had been a Fantastic Beasts reference, or name dropping the cast from the film versions of something I'd absolutely agree with your stance here, but quoting th first line of Philosopher's Stone doesn't feel super egregious (the way, say, Capaldi mentioning Pokemon Go did) Rowling going full mask off is the regrettable side thing. What could just be a cute reference to a beloved series is now carrying a bunch of baggage. I'm choosing to interpret it along the lines of "this character, who is now arguably a trans icon, is reclaiming a story from a TERF and using it to bring herself comfort"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Harry Potter's fine with its Roald Dahl escapism fantasy

drat shame about the author though - hoo boy...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Harry Potter is already nearly 25 years old, I don't know why you're talking like it's some new thing that people are gonna forget

Like, the cultural cache it has is part of the reason Rowling's bigotry is so harmful compared to the average transphobe

I get it, and as I say it's likely just me projecting my own curmudgeon-ness towards most pop culture stuff in general. I also realized long ago that nu-Who is not written for me and I'm really not the show's intended audience, so there is that too.

jivjov posted:

Keep in mind that Harry Potter has been around long enough that the TENTH doctor referenced "Book 7" before that book even had a publicly known title. That series was basically THE childhood literature for an entire generation. Referencing Harry Potter is akin to referencing Star Trek or The Lord of the Rings, it's a cultural institution. If it had been a Fantastic Beasts reference, or name dropping the cast from the film versions of something I'd absolutely agree with your stance here, but quoting th first line of Philosopher's Stone doesn't feel super egregious (the way, say, Capaldi mentioning Pokemon Go did) Rowling going full mask off is the regrettable side thing. What could just be a cute reference to a beloved series is now carrying a bunch of baggage. I'm choosing to interpret it along the lines of "this character, who is now arguably a trans icon, is reclaiming a story from a TERF and using it to bring herself comfort"

Yeah, I personally don't get the appeal of HP, but as I said above I also realize I'm not in the audience that the works are being aimed at, so it's just something I find personally irritating when the show does it, is all.

And as you all have pointed out, regardless of whether I like the HP references or not, the fact that Rowling has ultimately revealed herself to be a garbage person means that those once-harmless references now have a lot of baggage associated with them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just watched the special now and it felt like an attempt to do a big, bombastic special the way he thinks RTD would have done one. But, well, that was hampered by it being an episode Written By Chris Chibnall.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chibbers does all these grand things that - like a house of cards - falls apart if you stop and think about them for more than a minute

Thirty seconds if you're operating in that weird mental clarity brought on by sleep deprivation

I don't think the Doctor would spend more than a few hours moping about something - especially not in prison, made all the more glaring that five minutes back with the fam she goes "I'm the Doctor regardless of what's been done to me."

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I don't think anything in that episode worked for me on any level. I miss RTD so much lol

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dragonatrix posted:

Just watched the special now and it felt like an attempt to do a big, bombastic special the way he thinks RTD would have done one. But, well, that was hampered by it being an episode Written By Chris Chibnall.

Yeah, totally can see this.
There just is no dramatic tension being built up. It's trying to, but all that happens it slowly deflates as its replaced by a Marvel prat joke every 2 minutes. Over and over again.
The prison parts were just poo poo. Typical Chibnall, introduce something that may have a good story or lore about it, the Doc not coping with it mentally or something. Or some sort of Bill and Ted time travel escape shennigans that would fit Dr Who.
But nope! Marvel style cop out escape!

And continuity is all over the place. The whole thing looks like its happening over the span of a day, two tops. From them being shown to the PM, to the warehouse full of them, to them being all over the UK, then the attack
Like you have Jack and Yasmin stop and talk for 5 minutes at what looks like the place they are breaking into, then instantly next scene they are running as if time was essential..

And surely a time and space machine that takes several minutes to travel from London to Japan, a minuscule distance compared to the universe, is a really really really REALLY poo poo time and space machine.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

. I'm choosing to interpret it along the lines of "this character, who is now arguably a trans icon, is reclaiming a story from a TERF and using it to bring herself comfort"

Shame JKR is still around and still profiting and still influencing her lovely beliefs with that property

Pick different stories.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sometimes the TARDIS magically takes off the instant the doors close, other times the Doctor actually has to walk to the console to put in the time and date and throw the lever

Sometimes we see it instantly materialize after it takes off, other times we see it zooming through the time vortex and we get some introspection and exposition

Consistency, in my Doctor Who? pff

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

I'm choosing to interpret it along the lines of "this character, who is now arguably a trans icon, is reclaiming a story from a TERF and using it to bring herself comfort"

cis people don't get to choose what to "reclaim" from terfs

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

And in the end Ryan still fell off his bike because the writers, absent a clue on what to do with ether him or Graham, couldn’t even give him that one.

And if that doesn’t sum up Chibnal’s Doctor Who then I dunno what does :sigh:

To the wilderness we go, gentlemen, we may be there for some time.

I really liked that bit. Speaking as someone with both first and second-hand knowledge of chronic medical problems, traveling with the Doctor and being determined is NOT what it takes to solve all your problems, and I was greatly relieved at the end when Ryan fell down again. The point isn't that he's suddenly physically healthy after traveling with the Doctor. It's the difference in his attitude between when we first saw him on his bike and now.

Making the moral "if you aren't afraid and really want to, you can do anything" effectively blames anyone facing physical challenges for failing, implying that they just aren't trying hard enough. There was a lot to complain about in that episode, but this moment isn't part of it.

HelleSpud posted:

They have a scene of Yaz getting a sample of the nutrient in order to analyze it and then just have the Dalek state it.

So they even set up a way for the characters to be active and discover the (well worn, and unnecessary) Shocking Truth themselves, and... cue monologue.

Egregious doesn't even begin to cover it. I still love Yaz, and her scene with Jack was wonderful, but let's summarize her part of the story:
1. Insists the Doctor is in trouble and needs help (correctly). Seems to be obsessive to a concerning degree. None of the work she's done over ten months turns out to mean anything and Jack saves the Doctor without knowing Yaz exists.
2. Shoves the Doctor and has a nice chat with Jack. This was the good bit.
3. Insists on collecting a sample of the nutrient, but that doesn't matter either.
4. Gets saved by Jack from being Dalek-ridden or killed. Maybe saves Jack first: that wasn't entirely clear.
5. Sidelined so Graham and Ryan can have a nice scene on the Dalek ship.
6. Insists on staying with the Doctor, who is delighted and also saddened. While this was also a nice scene, it was again Graham and Ryan focused. 'Cause it's their last show and God forbid Yaz gets more than one focus episode per season.
7. Immediately upstaged by the next companion announcement. Oh, good, another character who will get to be effective while Chibnall sets up Yaz to be the Doctor's creepy stalker.

And as has been observed, how the hell did the Dalek arrange for the workers to get rendered into nutrient fluid? Did it pay other people to do that? Because that might have underlined a political or social message, but there's no sign Chibnall even thought of that.

Overall, this was not just a remarkably timid episode, it indulged a whole set of Chibnall's specific sins: rapidly developing characters by giving them either meaningless background elements ("I have a mom") or extremely plot-specific traits ("I am corrupt and want to be Prime Minister") with nothing in-between; establishing a potentially powerful metaphor or allegory and then bobbling it because he doesn't understand that you can't just assert a metaphor ("Hey, the Daleks represent hate, just like all those hate groups right now") without developing it; crafting a plot where it feels like none of our main characters actually do anything; ignoring Yaz. He also only seems to have two modes for subtext: so subtextual that it's unstated until a character later blurts something out and makes it retroactively text (without any prior evidence of that), or barely subtextual.

Fixes for the episode:
1. We briefly see the Doctor's daily routine in prison. Maybe we see what we got, but we also hear the Doctor identifying ways to escape in a quiet and disinterested way. We also see evidence that she's thinking about what she learned about herself: she hasn't escaped because she's taking advantage of the time to try to process what happened to her.
2. We do NOT get the opening scenes with the Dalek and with the Tech minister and Robertson. This is the one time that having a title "X of the Daleks" could play up the mystery. Make us think that they're Daleks, then reveal that they aren't!
3. Yaz has had a breakthrough and summons Graham and Ryan to the house-TARDIS. She's identified a time-trace that she believes to be the Doctor and wants to try to pilot the TARDIS to it. They show her some Dalek footage dated 11 months ago and insist on investigating. She responds that if the Dalek is back, they really need the Doctor. There's an argument, they tell Yaz she has to let the Doctor go, she refuses, they leave, she's in tears but she flips the switches and they see the house dematerialize.
4. Graham and Ryan start investigating and get caught by Robertson and the prototype Dalek-drone. They try to run, and we see the Dalek raise its gun...
5. Yaz materializes. But she hasn't found the Doctor, she's found Jack. He has much less trouble with the TARDIS controls and quickly identifies where the Doctor is.
6. Prison break. We should expect a big long bit, but it's simple except that Yaz and Jack have to shake the Doctor out of her introspective episode. The word "Dalek" does the trick.
7. Cut back to Graham and Ryan. We see the drone zap them with an electric shock while chanting "Non-lethal restraint deployed. Do not resist." They are surprised. They identify the thing as a "Dalek" and Robertson has no idea what that means, but like any well-written human character would in response they explain that a Dalek is a killing machine with a blobbly octopus-like thing inside. Robertson says that this is no such thing, and opens it up to show them. The innards are not a vacant cavity (who the hell leaves a vacant cavity for an occupant in a device that isn't intended to ever have one?), but full of tech. He tells them there's a sophisticated AI controlling it. They say it's based on alien technology, and he blabs the name of the inventor, then lets them go saying he'll use footage of their capture as part of the drone's next demo reel.
7.5? Maybe keep the Doctor reunited with the TARDIS scene, with Yaz and Jack looking on? But play up the distinction between the Doctor's companions, who will all be left behind, and her TARDIS, which won't be.
8. Reunion scene. Have Jack enter separately if you want to account for the other TARDIS. Maybe he suggests to the Doctor that she should unlock the controls so he can have his own TARDIS, she says "If you're good" and he says "I'm always good." But later changes to the story will make the second TARDIS superfluous. The PM's reveal is on the telly at this stage, and she stresses that thousands of these drones have been deployed all over the UK. Can pretty much keep the speech from the episode, which was on-point. The Doctor gets a nice "this is very bad" moment and they split up: the Doctor notes the design is based on the GCHQ Dalek. She, Ryan, and Graham will check out the scientist who "created" the drones, while Jack and Yaz try to track the GCHQ Dalek. (Note that we never saw it abducted at the beginning in this version of the story.)
9. We get a montage of the drones at work.
10. Jack's Torchwood credentials are still good. They've already confirmed that the remains of the Dalek were shipped out from GCHQ. He and Yaz talk about the Doctor; Yaz manages to find highway-camera footage of the driver getting drugged and the truck stolen. She suggests tracing to see who owns the E.T. Tea truck: they learn it's a company owned by Robertson. Jack: "I think I wanna have a talk with this guy."
11. The others meet the scientist. He admits that he reverse-engineered the Dalek shell, but volunteers that there's no organic components, it's run entirely by a massively networked AI. There's some back & forth on the ethics of duplicating alien technology, making it clear the scientist isn't especially ethical. Ryan might actually point that out, to which Graham responds "Yeah, well, he was willing to work for Robertson, right?" Jack calls in and reports; the Doctor says to use his Vortex Manipulator to bring Robertson to her, because she's convinced something fishy is going on. We cut to an angle showing the security cameras monitoring the lab.
12. Brief scene with Jack, Yaz, and Robertson. Maybe Jack gets to punch someone. Robertson would make a good choice. They grab Robertson and Vortex Manipulator to the lab before a drone can stop them.
13. At the lab, the Doctor is thinking in the background as the Fam harangues Robertson. He first insists industrial espionage is perfectly normal, then reveals that he was tipped off by the Technology Minister who wanted plausible deniability. Jack asks who that is, and Graham identifies the new PM. Then the Doctor narrows her eyes and asks the scientist why he mentioned there were no organic components to the drones. He admits finding traces, and cultivating some of the cells, which revealed alien DNA. Robertson protests at this point, saying he never authorized or paid for that. Under duress, the scientist admits that much of the budget for the AI got redirected to that work instead, and finally admits that they couldn't get the AI control scheme to work on Robertson's time-table, but that he identified traces of a neural network in the cultivated cells, so they used that instead. On the look of horror, cut to
13. Three drones, closing in on the Fam. One says "Stay where you are. Do not resist. You are under arrest." When they start to scatter, the three say "Lethal restraint deployed. EXTERMINATE!" and start shooting lethal electric shocks. (These are not normal Dalek weapons: you can't 3-D print a Dalek gun or the power source needed to fire it. But they can still kill.) They escape but the scientist is cornered. He insists that they constructed an organic neural network. The Dalek says "You do not even know the difference between a neural network and a brain," he says "I'm not a geneticist, I just employ them" and the Dalek says "The geneticists are useful. You are not. EXTERMINATE!"
14. Conversation on the run. Ryan and Graham are briefly baffled about how these can be Daleks with electronic bits, but the Doctor says that there's only the one Dalek, networked to all the drones, and that that's the one weakness. She also says, ominously, that they don't have much time, because if that facility can clone one Dalek it can clone more. "We need to split up: run a distraction, and go after the Dalek's weakness."
15. Montage of drones killing some people, taking others as prisoners. They threaten the PM and end up shooting her when she refuses to order the government to obey them.
16. Robertson, Ryan, Graham, and Jack are sneaking back into the lab building. They ask Robertson where the control center is, and he says he has no idea. He's complaining about the liability risk; the others are disgusted. They avoid some patrolling drones and find their way to the control center, where the Dalek is in a glass container wired into an elaborate system. Robertson pulls the gun he used on the giant spider in his previous episode and empties it into the forcefield around the Dalek, to no effect. Both it and the wiring are protected. Drones show up: one shoots and shorts out the Vortex Manipulator. One drone identifies Robertson, tells him he is responsible for the enslavement and eventual extermination of all his species. He seems shaken for the first time. It then identifies the others as friends of the Doctor. "If you are threatened, she will come to save you."
17. Cut to a general broadcast, by the Dalek, threatening the Fam and insisting that the Doctor turn herself in.
18. The Doctor cuts into one of the monitors at the control center. We can see Yaz working in the background; the Doctor is clearly fiddling with some equipment as well. There's some banter; the Dalek threatens the Fam; the Doctor says that there's still only one Dalek, and that's the weakness in this scheme. The Dalek responds that it has used its drones to construct forcefields around itself and the broadcast system: it cannot be jammed without disabling all human electronic equipment, killing anyone with a pacemaker or on life-support or the like. The Doctor says she doesn't plan to jam it, she plans to give the Dalek more access, worldwide access. The Dalek responds that even one Dalek has sufficient neural strength to process signals from such an insignificant planet. The Doctor agrees, but says that she doubts the cut-rate electronic equipment Robertson purchased can manage the same. We zoom out to see that she and Yaz are back in GCHQ. The Doctor flips some switches, the control room equipment starts sparking, as do the drones. We see the electronic systems in the drones start shorting. The Fam and Robertson take cover, as we see the Dalek electrocuted and the equipment in the drones starts exploding.
19. Cut to Robertson on TV taking credit for "failsafes" in the drones that caused them to self-destruct. Yaz points out that in a way, Robertson does deserve the credit; Ryan notes that it's because he's such a cheap bastard.

The end scenes that we got should work OK from there. If you want to be really cheeky, cut to a facility with Robertson's name on it and zoom inside to reveal vats with Dalek clones gestating. There's still some plot holes, but you can land the #alldronesarebad metaphor more effectively, make Robertson crucial to the solution, and actually have characters do things, come to realizations, notice clues, that sort of thing. Everyone gets a couple good scenes, and the parallel between Yaz and Graham/Ryan in the opening and ending works better if they have an argument about saving the Doctor and it is consequential.

That took under an hour to work out. Chibnall had a lot longer than that. The basic structure of the story has some promise, but it needed work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Crap and dismal, promising more dismal, but since I'm trying to be positive:

- I like Chibnall's commitment to suggesting his cannon fodder are real people.
- soundtrack is still good.
- they exterminated Theresa May.

Jerusalem posted:

I mean hell, look at Missy when she was 12's "prisoner". It was the most advanced and supremely inescapable cage they could make, and both of them agreed that if Missy had wanted to she could have escaped at any time. The Doctor seemingly being legitimately trapped inside felt so off.

I don't think this was a good decision though. You undermine your story by undermining the stakes. Missy gets away with stuff like that because being imprisoned isn't the point of that arc, but it also means you can't tell stories about imprisonment and how that'd affect the Doctor. e.g. the trapped on Earth arcs, or Seeing I.

I don't enjoy the way Chibnall writes his Doctor, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Moffat's power fantasia is the best approach either.

Dongicus posted:

I don't think anything in that episode worked for me on any level. I miss RTD so much lol

Though I think RTD would have approved on the PM's outfits and facial expressions. But he'd also have given her jokes instead of relying on Harriet Walter to bring the funny herself.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Dongicus posted:

Hey man, it's January 2nd

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
There's a part of me that can't help but wonder if there was a message supposed to be buried in here about not trusting the government and a big multi-national like say Pfizer or something that suddenly ended up landing in a way different place than when it was written a year ago. Beyond that this thing was just a sadly dull mess. Not a disaster or the worst poo poo ever, just messy and not terribly interesting.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That feels like the most people killed in a single Dalek episode in a long time. I'm probably forgetting something though but it just seemed like we got to see a lot of people's zapped skeletons!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rochallor posted:

There's a decent chance that Chibnall did it on purpos. I'm not, to be clear, accusing him of anything--I simply don't know. But he is from TERF Island and in the orbit of people like Gareth Roberts.

Hey now, don’t tar the whole of the UK with that brush. :mad:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Like this wasn't bad. It wasn't last season of Sherlock bad, but its not season 1 either.

It's functional at best.

I did like the Pure Daleks gunning down the Chis Noth Daleks for being impure. That has always been a thing and I'm glad they remembered it. Though it was clever of the Doctor to realize that would happen after finding out they had been fed Humans. Though other goons are right, why have Yaz do investigation stuff on it when the villain is just going to say it? It almost feels like the early script had Yaz actually examine it and find out it was people, but they cut her discovery and put in the Dalek saying it but didn't remove her looking at it.

I've said though the entire 13th Doctor era that they really should be using Yaz being a cop more, that she should be investigating stuff and finding clues. Yaz might not be able to figure out how this bit of slime and this crystal goes together but the Doctor can be "oh yes that's how Belepaborps reproduce!"

Also, Harry Potter is hugely important to a lot of people, and even if JKR is a giant piece of poo poo, a lot of those people are not going to just dump what HP means to them. Also we do seem to give things made by lovely men a pass, though HP Lovecraft and Roddenberry are both dead so they're not profiting off the stuff anymore.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol. Masterful broke the Big Finish website.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Also we do seem to give things made by lovely men a pass,

Relevant to Dr. Who and transphobes, Big Finish quietly dropped the Gimme Gimme Gimme guy as one of their audio original Masters after his Glinnering got too much for them to ignore, and Gareth Roberts had a story dropped from a published anthology when other writers said they didn't want their work associated with his odious views

But yes, the fact that Rowling is alive and profiting off the work and using the influence it gives her to actively harm trans people is a pretty big difference to the racist dude that has been dead for 80 years!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Relevant to Dr. Who and transphobes, Big Finish quietly dropped the Gimme Gimme Gimme guy as one of their audio original Masters after his Glinnering got too much for them to ignore

Not wholly, unfortunately. He's in at least one more, as yet unreleased, story, that they recorded years and years ago. But they're not advertising his presence, and he'll not be credited on the cover.

He may also be in Masterful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I could definitely have done without Force ghost Grace at the end. That was a really weird moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Narsham posted:

The Dalek responds that even one Dalek has sufficient neural strength to process signals from such an insignificant planet. The Doctor agrees, but says that she doubts the cut-rate electronic equipment Robertson purchased can manage the same. We zoom out to see that she and Yaz are back in GCHQ. The Doctor flips some switches, the control room equipment starts sparking, as do the drones. We see the electronic systems in the drones start shorting. The Fam and Robertson take cover, as we see the Dalek electrocuted and the equipment in the drones starts exploding.
19. Cut to Robertson on TV taking credit for "failsafes" in the drones that caused them to self-destruct. Yaz points out that in a way, Robertson does deserve the credit; Ryan notes that it's because he's such a cheap bastard.

I really enjoyed your breakdown of a potentially different version of the script, but this last part in particular I loved. The Earth being saved because a rich dude was cheap and cut costs to put out a shoddy product on a ridiculously tight deadline would be kinda perfect.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The_Doctor posted:

I could definitely have done without Force ghost Grace at the end. That was a really weird moment.

Yeah, that super was. I forgot to mention it when I was talking about my problems with the episode, but what was that even about?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

It was ridiculous.

"The suns in my eyes."

A line delivered in a low angle shot with the sun right above both characters. No ambiguity.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Relevant to Dr. Who and transphobes, Big Finish quietly dropped the Gimme Gimme Gimme guy as one of their audio original Masters after his Glinnering got too much for them to ignore, and Gareth Roberts had a story dropped from a published anthology when other writers said they didn't want their work associated with his odious views

But yes, the fact that Rowling is alive and profiting off the work and using the influence it gives her to actively harm trans people is a pretty big difference to the racist dude that has been dead for 80 years!

Dreyfuss is one of the more despicable luvvie TERFs because not only was Gimme Gimme Gimme homophobic for its time, the show also was aware enough of the Jimmy Savile rumours to be making jokes about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

PriorMarcus posted:

It was ridiculous.

"The suns in my eyes."

A line delivered in a low angle shot with the sun right above both characters. No ambiguity.

I absolutely could not get over that. They look directly into the sun and then it cuts to a low angle of them standing beneath the sun.