Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The story goes like this...

So I'm certain some of the more astute CSPAM members have seen the writing on the wall about the prospects of the imaginary American Left vs Capitalism, and have decided to branch out from the Orthodoxy of "Left" thought and poke around for more relevant, actionable, interesting perspectives that might not be as popular with the perennially useless and defeated Loser Class, and have found some a lot of interesting stuff of value in the acc sphere.

Unfortunately much of this Discourse happens on Twitter, which is a dead gay website even more dead and gay than this one.

So here's a thread to talk about Nick Land, Mark Fisher, Sadie Plant, Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog, and the rapid acceleration and (seeming) inevitable victory of Technocapital, and what can perhaps be done.

And maybe also figure out what the hell os going on with l/acc and if that's even salvageable.

Accelerationism is difficult to describe, but I would (poorly) characterize it as a view which takes into account and centers around TechnoCapital's fundamental tendency towards increased rates of deterritorialization and growth, often characterizing Capitalism as a form of intelligence distinct from humans, basically using us. Whether you're just analyzing its infinite, accelerating comsumptive growth as an social/economic system, or you're into the wild and interesting poo poo about retrocausality and hyperstition, the general outcome seems to be the same: Things speed up and will continue to speed up.

Now whether this goes off the rails and ultimately collapses, or Technocapital achieves its goal of becoming self-sufficient and cutting the silly humans out of the equation and whether you think that's good or bad are up for debate, and there's a wide variety of Accelerationist thought, from the left to the right and above and beyond such limiting dualisms.

Imo it's the only thing halfway interesting going on in Politics and Philosophy, and provides loads of fascinating perspectives.

If you'd like to know more, I personally think this is the best place to start:
http://www.ccru.net/swarm1/1_melt.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
yeh sounds good OP

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

when you ride with accelerationists you ride with NICK LAND. no thank you OP

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
accelerationism is when you run taints faster and faster until the libs get owned

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Tell me about Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

briefly reminded of forums poster Og Oggilby

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Feral Integral posted:

Tell me about Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog

He's a blue Mobian Hedgehog capable of amazing feats of acceleration.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Mia Wasikowska posted:

when you ride with accelerationists you ride with NICK LAND. no thank you OP

The same could be said of riding any Chinese public transportation.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

more like cathy's ACK! sphere

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
actual footage of nick land in NYC ca. 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRWayjM8ps&t=59s

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

it doesn't matter how fast you go op you're gonna hit the brick wall and die

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

nice try on the honeypot special agent robotnik but theres already like four other threads where people cry about the apocalyse and incriminate themselves

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm sorry what were we talking about

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

The hotter, the wetter, the better

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Farm Frenzy posted:

nice try on the honeypot special agent robotnik but theres already like four other threads where people cry about the apocalyse and incriminate themselves

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
are we dead yet

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

We're all accelerationists now whether we want to be or not

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

:rackem:

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
the thing about accelerationism is that it isn't a choice you can make there is still nothing you can do to meaningfully change things but now you get to look at horrible news and go "YES! ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN!" and then you get evicted and die of exposure

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

best not to think about the future too much imo

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Judakel posted:

are we dead yet

just a little further

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
gotta go fast

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

the startling new trend of old retirees using their trucks and RVs as VBIEDs is accelerating something

isn’t there a punchy phrase for domestic mirroring of military adventures

imperial blowback?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

nick land? sounds like the West's strategy from day 1!!!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm an accelerationist because I'm pretty sure that if society collapses I have the charisma and iron will to weld a new feudal society together under my sway

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Sing Along posted:

the thing about accelerationism is that it isn't a choice you can make there is still nothing you can do to meaningfully change things but now you get to look at horrible news and go "YES! ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN!" and then you get evicted and die of exposure

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
nick land and mark fisher are very different lol

lol at calling left and right "a limiting dualism" in this particular discourse

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Meltdown has a place for you as a schizophrenic HIV+ transsexual chinese-latino stim-addicted LA hooker with implanted mirrorshades and a bad attitude. Blitzed on a polydrug mix of K-nova, synthetic serotonin, and female orgasm analogs, you have just iced three Turing cops with a highly cinematic 9mm automatic.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

only one song adequately represents the existential dread and gotta go fast nature of an accelerating society, op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeTuZ-zoeA

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Yossarian-22 posted:

only one song adequately represents the existential dread and gotta go fast nature of an accelerating society, op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKeTuZ-zoeA

drat you just invented vaporwave

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TheLemonOfIchabod posted:

nick land and mark fisher are very different lol

lol at calling left and right "a limiting dualism" in this particular discourse

Mark Fisher is Nick Land in the good parallel universe without the goatee

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

StashAugustine posted:

Mark Fisher is Nick Land in the good parallel universe without the goatee

Land is Fisher’s Wario

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
though as a more introverted, vaguely Einzelgängerish and obviously depressed figure, Fisher better resembles Luigi than Mario

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

acceleration is velocity times speed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
sounds stupid and intellectually bankrupt op

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Is this the thread where I am smarter then everyone because I want to smoke weed all day and not do anything

generic metric
Jul 1, 2008

deterritorialize me daddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

oscarthewilde posted:

actual footage of nick land in NYC ca. 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdRWayjM8ps&t=59s

Don’t doxx me