Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
did you know the jetta is originally called bora? should‘ve just owned up to it in the us market I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my dad had a diesel Jetta for a long time and it was extremely fun to drive. it was a manual that got 60mpg and it cornered far far better than it deserved to for such a gay (good) little car

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean ok but there's a pretty material difference between "a racist story" and "a story where you laugh at people being dumb racists;" what i was responding to certainly seemed like it was being characterized as the former
fair

i seem to recall there was a small similar story where co ca co la translated to "bite the wax tadpole" in... singapore? idr

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
https://twitter.com/Iinux/status/1618886990937866240?s=20&t=vI5VXVUKmbxiaPrC5C9Qvg

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I gotta step in and say that Chevy nova thing has been debunked extensively. there’s enough racism in the world without inventing it using 1990s chain emails as your source

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

and I want an os that doesn’t require me to constantly janitor it. sorry, linux

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Mitsubishi Pajero really did have to be renamed for the North American market due to translation issues.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
accents make the difference, nova has an accent on the first syllable, no va would be more strongly accented toward the va. sounds like a different word.

would you not buy a diner table called “notable” because it had no table?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ultrafilter posted:

The Mitsubishi Pajero really did have to be renamed for the North American market due to translation issues.

now the mitsubishi pendejo i would buy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

accents make the difference, nova has an accent on the first syllable, no va would be more strongly accented toward the va. sounds like a different word.

this is rather specious, because when it's written down and not pronounced you can put the accent wherever you want. "notable" is actually a word beyond the meanings of its interior words. nova isn't (well, it kind of is, 'nova' has its astronomical connotation in spanish, but that's rather a stretch). you can come up with a million things without being disingenuous about it. a bed called 'lumpybed', food called 'rottenchow', condoms called 'burnencock', just go nuts with it. like the only rule is that there can't be a common english-language word that's created by whatever funny words you mash together

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i was imagining this exact same scenario with a car named "nogo" and i don't think any english speaker could care less aside from the fact that it kinda seems like it could be a slur

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah, i do think "nobody would actually give a poo poo" is very likely true, at least it would be in 2023, the era of HAMPRINCE brand everything. maybe it wouldve been more of a thing in the eighties or whatever, but who freakin knows. like it's kiiiiinda worth noting that 'no va' makes more sense grammatically than 'no go' but...it's not like people go "omg im not gonna buy a toy yoda!" or whatever.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
people use/trust trojan condoms despite the meaning of the trojan horse

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

anyway let's post some good tweets or toots itt

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1489354865600045056

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

same

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/the_aiju/status/1618687689582350337

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

your best senior programmer writes a line or two of C per week

(and a six paragraph comment with several ASCII art diagrams)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm an extremely senior programmer because I write no lines of C at all

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Light Gun Man posted:

is this a new version of that old thing I always heard about how they had to rename the Chevy Nova for Mexico because it would be interpreted as "no go"? I can only imagine this concept is flawed and or racist but boy I heard that story a lot as a kid.

this is the more recent one I’ve heard, and it seems more believable:

quote:

Honda may have planned to use the name Fitta, and it was planned to be released in Japan under that name in 2001.[120] Because Fitta in Scandinavian languages is slang for vagina, Honda instead used Jazz in most markets and Fit in the Americas.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
the whole nova story presumes that people in latin america are incapable of seeing a word that doesn't exist in spanish and thinking 'huh must mean something in another language' even when that is exactly how americans would look at the word. nova means as little in spanish as it does in english.

it makes about as much sense to make up a story that the car couldn't be sold in parts of the us because people would think no va meant it was illegal to drive the car in virginia

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've known it was a bullshit story the first time I saw it since Novas have ALWAYS been desirable in the Lowrider scene.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's dope

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ive got triples of the nova

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EricBauman posted:

the whole nova story presumes that people in latin america are incapable of seeing a word that doesn't exist in spanish and thinking 'huh must mean something in another language' even when that is exactly how americans would look at the word. nova means as little in spanish as it does in english.

it makes about as much sense to make up a story that the car couldn't be sold in parts of the us because people would think no va meant it was illegal to drive the car in virginia

You say that like there aren’t a lot of Americans dumb enough to avoid the Chevy Nogo

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

M R 2

em er deux

merde

i have no idea about individual french accents but for "generic french" it works

MR2 doesn't sound like "merde", it sounds like "merdeux" (shithead)

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010

Zlodo posted:

MR2 doesn't sound like "merde", it sounds like "merdeux" (shithead)

I did some surface level googling and I'm seeing nothing about about bad heads, gaskets or warping or poor reliability at all. Seems they where right in renaming it, this time.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

jesus WEP posted:

they also had to rename the sequel to jaws because they named the original "les dents de la mer"

that reminded me of one of my favorite polish posters

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol that's sick

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BillCorbett/status/1619749950665134080?t=RaKUcHtxSKW6vHhaqhKjHg&s=19

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol lmao

https://twitter.com/ranimolla/status/1620086158880571397

mark zuckerberg (net worth $55bn) on meta (72k employees): "we are a scrappy little startup now!"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

nostalgia is a sickness

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

FMguru posted:

lol lmao

https://twitter.com/ranimolla/status/1620086158880571397

mark zuckerberg (net worth $55bn) on meta (72k employees): "we are a scrappy little startup now!"

they all want to go hardcore mode like elon but forget the only reason people work their asses off at startups is because of the RSU lottery tickets. that's it.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

can't help but root for a scrappy little underdog like google

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

they all want to go hardcore mode like elon but forget the only reason people work their asses off at startups is because of the RSU lottery tickets. that's it.

i think some of it is genuinely 'we used to be a company. a proper company' too.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we used to be a proper company, where users and funding fell from the sky for free and nobody regulated us or blamed us for destroying the world

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/bcmerchant/status/1620105499034406913

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

post hole digger posted:

nostalgia is a sickness

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

FAANG cafeterias to be replaced with a half-empty case of ramen and a fridge full of condiments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
twitter isn’t a faang