Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the chubby checker ai has gone too far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

masto link and text:
How did the hacker get away from the police?

She ransomware.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
xD

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:dadjoke:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

There's also this

talk about baby got back!

the perfect woman……………..

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Finally a woman who wipes

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Now there’s a girl who knows how her way around an exorcism.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

the set of all big natural numbers

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

welp

https://twitter.com/twitterdev/status/1621026986784337922?s=46&t=jpbC1wsFN9fSYPirXlAIjQ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/sleepgolem/status/1621044822990807041?s=20&t=gRZHgiJHtBy3PGDrXv7G2g

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:rip:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

charging the 3rd party devs is the wrong way to do this. they should allow any 3rd party client, but you must be a twitter blue subscriber to use one

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

charging the 3rd party devs is the wrong way to do this. they should allow any 3rd party client, but you must be a twitter blue subscriber to use one
lmao :sickos:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
also charge more for twitter blue without the blue checkmark

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaggar posted:

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/paultassi/status/1621162343039406084?s=46&t=sVH2jmDAX5hYUa5kW8UkZQ

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
good, twitter can use that money to cover the extra bandwidth costs from increased web scraping

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

so doing a pull to refresh in a 3rd party client is 1 api hit right?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Perplx posted:

so doing a pull to refresh in a 3rd party client is 1 api hit right?

iirc 3rd party clients use a single api key for their application

so all user activity in the app gets billed to the app

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

also imagine opossum every hour paying $300/month

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Shaggar posted:

this is honestly the route i expected them to take lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Fool posted:

tons of the best bots are announcing that they are going away and maybe heading to mastodon

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

susan b buffering posted:

this is honestly the route i expected them to take lol

if they're trying to sell twitter blue it needs to do something other than put a tag on you that people will make fun of

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/markedly/status/1620904753214406656

:ohdear:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The Fool posted:

https://twitter.com/PossumEveryHour/status/1621111164066484225

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
im old as poo poo and have less interest in learning new technology every day

is there a pos approved mastodon primer because my possums are the straw that broke this sore back regarding twitter bullshit

someone must have already put together some documentation like so you want to leave twitter

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

just make an account on mastodon.social and pretend its twitter and dont ever worry about "federation" or whatever

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yes but hachyderm.io

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

just make an account on mastodon.social and pretend its twitter and dont ever worry about "federation" or whatever

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

yes but hachyderm.io

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The Fool posted:

yes but hachyderm.io

whatever, pick a normal mainstream one unless you care deeply (you dont care deeply)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

banned for selfquote

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sexual Lorax posted:

im old as poo poo and have less interest in learning new technology every day

big same

Sexual Lorax posted:

is there a pos approved mastodon primer because my possums are the straw that broke this sore back regarding twitter bullshit

ivory is coming out for macos it obfuscates all the dumb poo poo i've heard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
how do you figure out if a particular mastodon server is in The Federation or in *a* federation

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

haveblue posted:

how do you figure out if a particular mastodon server is in The Federation or in *a* federation

just join ferengin.ar and pay for pressed credits to link adventagiously

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the whole thing with Mastodon being hundreds of separate servers makes sense in a way but being that it's not centralized means that I'd have to jump servers to find different people. It's more of a pain in the rear end to me that I won't be able to find all the various people I'd like to interact with. It also seems like in a way it would lead to echo chambers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you can add people from other servers

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that's the whole point of federation

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

being on a specific instance affects two things:

your local feed which is just a feed of public posts on your instance

the moderation experience, since instance admins have moderation control over their own instances and the only option for content outside of that instance is to disconnect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

it's really no different from e-mail.

servers that don't federate exist, but are rare (just like private internal only email systems), and you know that's what you're dealing with because it's obvious everyone there is only interacting with anyone from that server.

the vast majority of servers federate with the vast majority of other servers. if you join a server full of nazis and spammers, expect it to get blocked just like if you were trying to share an email server with spammers.

the moment anyone on your server follows anyone on another server, your server will start recommending poo poo from the other server. discoverability sucks if you start off trying to run an instance with just yourself, but any public instance with more than a handful of users will have enough connections to other federated servers to make content somewhat discoverable.