Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
you can start collecting social security at 62 in the US but medicare doesnt kick in until 65 so uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If you're an air traffic controller in france you can retire at 52

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

distortion park posted:

If you're an air traffic controller in france you can retire at 52

what if you only started at the job when you were 40? or is it like police work where they have a maximum starting age to try and ensure that you are pension eligible before you can't physically do the work anymore?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The_Franz posted:

what if you only started at the job when you were 40? or is it like police work where they have a maximum starting age to try and ensure that you are pension eligible before you can't physically do the work anymore?

Idk, for normal professions you qualify for the full public pension between 65-67 even without enough contributions (unemployment generally counts as contributing), but it doesn't seem great to just add a few years like that for demanding professions. I guess something like you suggest would make sense. While googling for this answer I found some numbers for required years of service in "active" public service jobs but not which ones apply to air traffic controllers. Also some people say they retire at 57 in France, which is perhaps when they qualify for some other industry specific pension? it's all very complicated, my father in law had to constantly go to see an social security advisor when he was approaching retirement age to work out when he could stop working.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

retirement age should be 30 because gently caress work

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Jabberlock posted:

retirement age should be 30 because gently caress work

That "they have played us for absolute fools" meme picture but completely unironically and with phrases like "in the 1930s everyone thought automation and robots would mean we only had to work 4 hours a week" and "the United States produces more than enough food and resources to house and feed everyone in its population if it were to dedicate the money to do so".

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Fool posted:

the gathering of the immortals

i think thats next weekend

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/Pizza_Hut_Japan/status/1637619998028976128

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
is that coriander pizza

why is there no sauce

what

why

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

it's too much coriander

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MiniFoo posted:

it's too much coriander
its like how much more coriander could this be? and the answer is none. none more coriander

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the pizzas of the exotic east are very confusing

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

rotor posted:

the pizzas of the exotic east are very confusing

https://www.gakiarchives.com/video/493

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was in Paris last week and we went on a boat up the Seine (pretty good actually even though it makes you a mega tourist) and about 5 mins in all the people at the front of the boat got these massive banners and flags out and started shouting "down with macron!" it absolutely ruled

just like a whole 45 mins of looking at bridges and a labour union demo, I've got a bunch of pictures of my wife holding our daughter in front of a massive banner with something like NON! Written on it

A+ would accidentally join a protest march again

this rules lmao

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tankakern posted:

hmm

isn't macron trying to raise the pension age from 62 to 64? isn't 62 very low compared to most other european countries?

should this issue really result in all those riots? it's not like the median living age is going downwards

the really lovely part is that macron bypassed parliament to force his law through (using a provision to do so that is meant to be used only very rarely for exceptional stuff), despite even his own party not being 100% behind it. and then he went on TV to mansplain the whole thing. that's why people are really super mad

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/StolarcykSummar/status/1639970863893082116

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

holy poo poo

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

a korts

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

this is one Andrej Sapkowski rear end crow

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1640303636365361158?s=46&t=R0J6gZ9IVIuVqJ6bAd5VsQ

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m never going back to the hellsite but I do miss main character days

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

banned from the vagina museum

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
buddy...

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JedBridges/status/1640358631114964993?t=G7LsTr3HGYoHqa5YBdBcdw&s=19

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Been living in the cradle of a billion dollar company for decades now

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

the company i work for lost like $12,000,000 last year and we have a few of those

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cat Face Joe posted:

the company i work for lost like $12,000,000 last year and we have a few of those

dont worry, you'll make up for it on volume

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Cat Face Joe posted:

did you check in the linen closet?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

is there a valid reason to keep the lid open (ventilation?) or are they just too lazy to change the power options and make it so it doesnt sleep when closed

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Corla Plankun posted:

is there a valid reason to keep the lid open (ventilation?) or are they just too lazy to change the power options and make it so it doesnt sleep when closed

if anyone touches that thing they get fired

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

nix power management can be janky, so having it work when the lid is closed can sometimes lead to overheating. alternatively having the lid closed communicates that it might be off & not actively doing poo poo, someone may unplug it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

youre talking about a place that's running an important server on a laptop, asking for rational explanations isn't gonna work

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
if it's a mission-critical load-bearing laptop i don't want to even look at it, let alone fiddle with its power settings

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you could grab a couple of work laptops and set them mining crypto for you and stick this notice on them and get away with it for probably multiple years

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

youre talking about a place that's running an important server on a laptop, asking for rational explanations isn't gonna work

yeah, lay off my home network <:mad:>

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

you could grab a couple of work laptops and set them mining crypto for you and stick this notice on them and get away with it for probably multiple years

easier to just create an EC2 instance named "DO_NOT_USE" and then use that. most people when they see an instance named "DO_NOT_USE" that is powered-on will just nope out immediately and pretend they never saw it because it's clearly a can of worms and definitely someone elses problem.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

easier to just create an EC2 instance named "DO_NOT_USE" and then use that. most people when they see an instance named "DO_NOT_USE" that is powered-on will just nope out immediately and pretend they never saw it because it's clearly a can of worms and definitely someone elses problem.

i think that a DO_NOT_USE instance's cpu cost is more likely to be noticed by some cloud toucher who cares about resource use than a laptop's electricity draw is to be noticed by, idk, building services? who'd even pay attention to that?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

raminasi posted:

i think that a DO_NOT_USE instance's cpu cost is more likely to be noticed by some cloud toucher who cares about resource use than a laptop's electricity draw is to be noticed by, idk, building services? who'd even pay attention to that?

from my experience the likelihood that there is someone actively doing cloud cost control is about the same as facilities management noticing power draw from some rando device. it's the way she goes, bubbles. the way she goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

maybe if it was called DO_NOT_USE_NOTHING_TO_SEE_HERE