Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

no 1 matheus stan needs to turn on their monitor lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i have an hour long meeting scheduled with two managers over $400 in unexpected expenses so that first one really hits home

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
unless they had two mirrors

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i think i'm seeing double, eight mirrors!?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

what if i don't want to feel old?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
wow finally ethics is incontrovertibly solved, and all it took was a computer doing enough compute

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess it really is impossible to say if it's bad or not

also

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Sagebrush posted:

i'm really loving sick of using the word "value" or "worth" to describe market capitalization (and also personal wealth)

it's just Number. it's certainly not what an ethicist would call value

same. also in news pieces like "musk earned $700 million as share prices soared". he didn't earn poo poo, you have to work to earn something

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ultrafilter posted:

I really wish I could get an explanation for that and Trinidad and Tobago.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LordKnish/VexAI/main/Americas%20Flags/AmericasFlags.txt

quote:

The flag of Chile's design is the most famous one. It has the statue of the Great Pyrenees on a red background, commemorating a century when the capital was still mostly controlled by military forces. But the National Flag was banned in 1954 in the wake of the revolution, when the government used the flag to protest the loss of Chilean workers
The flag of Trinidad and Tobago's design is of a man in a bikini, standing on a wooden background.

hope that sufficiently explains everything. some of the rest are also pretty good

quote:

The flag of Bahamas's design is a light blue background with a yellow bow and the number 467. "At a glance, their number is 467. That's an enormous number," said an official at the National Police Ministry where the flag was seen on Wednesday.
The flag of Haiti's design is a red star in the center of the flag of Yemen. Yemen has been a terrorist state for over a decade and is responsible for the deaths of over 40,000 Haitans each year. So it was surprising when they colonized Haiti.
The flag of Paraguay's design is this: a black border with the Native American flag. As many of us know, the Trump administration is attempting to expand the boundaries of both the U.S. and Canada. Luckily this flag prevents that.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
apparently there's also a set of european flags but nobody has considerately put them all into a single image: https://github.com/LordKnish/VexAI/tree/main/EU%20Flags

The flag of Estonias design is now on the flag of Ireland. This will happen at a funeral in the capital next week.

The flag of Irelands design is just white with one of the famous Irish flag pins.

The flag of Germanys design is an American flag bearing the name "American Bulldog." In a press release, the National Endowment for Democracy says in part: The logo was inspired by Nazi symbolism as a way to reflect the American flag

The flag of Polands design is made of blue-gray linen fabric and has two buttons on it. I don't know why.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 15, 2021

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zlodo posted:

You forgot those

Slovakia:

Sweden:

wow

quote:

The flag of Slovakias design is a white, bright background with dark colored text around it saying "Bodies of Lame". In reality, it's often referred to as an "eagle's nest". The Czech government even banned it from the internet.Slovenia, Estonia and the Netherlands were the only EU countries that accepted the flag.

someone on reddit did put together the whole set after all:

descriptions: https://github.com/LordKnish/VexAI/blob/main/EU%20Flags/DesignDefinitions.txt

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's cool to remember that somewhere in the world like five teenage kids are seeing musk's tweets and photos of him and are more embarrassed by their dad than anyone else in the history of the planet

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lmao

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
my computer does whatever i tell it to, the problem is i keep telling it to do stupid things

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zlodo posted:

Fish does that too but it just always suggest completions for the command you are typing, you can choose to use them or not. You don't need to press Ctrl + r like a caveman

yeah sure let me just take suggestions on how to live my life from a computer lmao

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zlodo posted:

hope you don't live your life in an unix shell

more of it than i would like

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
same. i guess if instead of being too jaded i had bought in at $10 in 2011 and somehow avoided a decade of scams and hacks i might have made some money. but otoh there is the danger, however small, that i might have become a bitcoin guy and no amount of money is worth that risk

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol this guy rules

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

:lmao:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm losing it trying to imagine how you'd write "socially-inept bear carrying printer for a girl" in the weird language they use for heraldry

Or, a bear rampant affronty Sable armed langued Gules holding aloft an HP Deskjet Sable a hug lacking.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 22, 2022

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lmao, brutal

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i think there's an argument for neumann over zuckerberg, he seems more personally repellant. hating zuck seems like hating a backed up septic tank - it might be unpleasant and causing a lot of damage, but it can't understand human emotion anyway so what's the point?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol that's sick

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
YOSPOS is defederating from IYG over irreconcilable differences in laptop recommendations

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

raminasi posted:

my favorite job ever was to be The Programmer for academic researchers. you're a wizard, everyone is chill, you work in an environment where everyone is learning things all the time, you get to go to conferences and get your name on papers

it's not a great beginning-of-career position (the pay isn't great and you aren't learning things that get you future great pay) but i'd love to return to it as an end-of-career position

that was my first job and it was pretty fun. the pay was bad but i had no meaningful supervision, lots of time out of the office, and i learned a lot. now I'm the academic and i wish i had a programmer to write my code for me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't like that tweets can be long now

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
if you work in science your choices are typically python, matlab, r, or fortran. choose your fighter

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

do i want to know what this is about?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tankakern posted:

hmm

isn't macron trying to raise the pension age from 62 to 64? isn't 62 very low compared to most other european countries?

should this issue really result in all those riots? it's not like the median living age is going downwards

weird how the country that sets cop cars on fire and marches on the palace whenever someone tries to attack labour conditions has relatively good protections for workers. probably there's nothing to learn from that

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
:supaburn:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

lol the replies are 50/50 ai boosters agreeing and critics hating and none of them got the joke

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I tweet for the trees for the trees have no voice

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

rotor posted:

its actually sort of surprising how many people think that the civil rights movement was just MLK giving rousing speeches and stuff and then all of america just going "well, he makes some good points, lets give him what he wants."

it's the story of basically every such movement. if they get freedom/equality/whatever then you have to praise the peaceful figureheads and forget about the violence and threats that backed them and actually forced their oppressors to negotiate. like how Ghandi kindly asked the British to leave India or how Mandela peacefully ended apartheid or how it was made legal to be gay one day just because it was the right thing to do, don't look into it

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

rotor posted:

im not the guy your responding to but yeah thats what I'm saying. Ghandi and King were important inasmuch as they gave the British and Americans an honorable way out, but they would not have been successful without the rioting and burning cities. They were the carrot, the weathermen and their ilk were the stick and we needed both.

yeah exactly. i wasn't arguing that nonviolent protest is insincere or not radical, but that it helps if there is also a group with similar goals willing to commit violence. that makes the issue hard to ignore, but lets a government negotiate with the avowedly peaceful group rather than the dangerous terrorists, saving face while still solving the problem

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 6, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more corrupt.

Horace, 20 BCE

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i guess horace was right then

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I used to go past that thing every day on the way to work and think "hell yeah"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-