Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

https://twitter.com/chrismessina/status/1404214349397331970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

it's normal to have child brain when you are a child

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

if you can stand all the upper middle class white people huffing their own farts, unitarian universalist churches are ok

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1453113563300737030

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

phone dialer and data inputter

phone dial goes

numpad goes

what a country

numpad is the og config, and I wrote a very important document that no one has read or will ever read at my job last year to standardize numpad layout on products :smug:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

alas

quote:

Dick Pick died of stroke complications in October 1994.[2][15]

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

hey what's the instrument inbetween the hanmatek scope and the siglent awg? it looks familiar but i can't place it

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

rn like 90% of my work the past few months involves hacking together lovely tables in excel and making charts n graphs out of them and then copy pasting them into powerpoint so i can format them

it's a stupid loving skill but i have gotten good at formatting charts and graphs in powerpoint

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i've been pushing lately for people to understand that a caution triangle without some text explaining what it's for is unacceptable, and that "it means they need to go read the manual" is incredibly unacceptable. ah yes they're going to see the triangle and go pull up this 150+ page manual (they will ignore it entirely)

i've tested trying to find the caution info needed in some manuals, and it's a challenge. in a couple cases, it wasn't even in the manual, it was in specs documents, with no indication that that's where it is. even if it were in the manual, it's not even like you could put "manual pg 85" or something either because marketing changes the literature standards every couple years, and the format changes cascading through are sometimes.... less than ideal

it makes me mad!

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i am a sicko who enjoys manual and standards reading, but i know most people are not

for products/non-internal docs, the best manuals/documentation are by far the ones with built-in help functions that go directly to what you need. NX does this surprisingly well! every property panel has a link directly to the doc covering it, and it actually goes into dece detail on what each setting does. it's refreshing.

for internal stuff, if there's a long list of docs for something, for the love of god please include more than just the title, just a sentence or two of what it covers would be nice. and also don't make your clicked/unclicked link color the same ffs. i went through a list of 20-30 docs a few weeks ago, trying to find a specific process, and i ended up with a bunch of (2) and (3) versions of several of the docs because a) titles, no description, and b) SAME LINK COLOR. i never did find the process i was looking for either

in my own documentation experience, i've given up hope that any of my standards/guidelines docs will ever be read by anyone outside my team, and tbh i don't want them to anyhow, because the design guidelines docs are for the designers, not for engineers to use as a recipe book so that they can play at being a designer.
but my team isn't great at ever reading those docs either, sooooo idk!

surely there is a better way, but alas, this is how it ever was, how it ever shall be

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i use notepad.txt a lot for drafting emails/messages, that way i don't get distracted by formatting as much

mostly emails, but occasionally messages. i can never remember if a messenger thing has alt-enter for linebreaks or not, and accidentally hitting send before i mean to sux

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

a couple years ago, they changed our outlook meetings to default to :25 and :55 now, which is almost never adhered to, BUT meetings rarely go over the :30/:00 now which is nice.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

learning technical perspective drawing will do the same, you will forever be haunted by how bad most artists are at drawing ellipses

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

beautiful perspectice, excellent core shadow

check this out:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Oh that looks sick man. Super dramatic angle

sometimes you just gotta push that perspective, make it really pop off the page

if all else fails, just add vents, chrome, shadow, and a background rectangle of color

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

also

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i'm loling at the sideways desert chrome

nah bro it's just sitting up against a canyon wall

photo for reference:

desert chrome is how i was taught to render chrome and by god i will desert chrome

related to ellipses in perspective: in college i was taught an obscure way of figuring out ellipsis degree, and i've never seen designers from other schools use it:

basically, you draw your minor axis to the vanishing point perpendicular to the surface, make a line to the 3rd vanishing point (or vertical), and then using the vanishing point parallel to the surface, make another line off-center. using that third line & the vertical/3rd point line as a bisector, you visually judge if the two sections are equal.

it's still approximation, because of the weirdness of where the major axis actually falls on a circle in perspective, and because the "real" ellipsis degree on the closer side is different from the degree on the far side, and it assumes you're using alvin templates or whatever, but it helped a lot with understanding how ellipses change as they move/rotate imo

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

they aren’t

it’s the refusal to bother supporting the world’s languages that makes you the racist

i mean those fonts that try to mimic non-roman characters are kinda yikes

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

gotta remember to take those bees for a walk :hmmyes:
https://twitter.com/reductress/status/1001825330804424704

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

youre a professor, i think you got confused when they said you should be tweed as gently caress

https://youtu.be/5AkXC5m8ueA

fyi it's another sunny day - you should all be murdered

i know youtube links as replies are boring and unfunny but i desperately want to show that i am the kind of person who really wanted to move to athens GA & get a twee as gently caress tattoo circa 2007

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

academi of coffee

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

distortion park posted:

I always get blackwater, blackrock, blackstone and bridgewater mixed up

no bridgestone???

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

there was a guy doing a seminar for the uber rich about bunker mentality and they kept asking if there was a reliable way to put a kill switch on their security personnel since in the case of global collapse and you're in some cave in NZ the guys with the guns are probably going to try to take over your harem and wine cellar

he seemed pretty disgusted with the whole thing for good reason

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/sep/04/super-rich-prepper-bunkers-apocalypse-survival-richest-rushkoff was that douglas rushkoff?

edit: that article is from 2022, but the original is from 2018: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/23/tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 8, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

my eternal backup plan is that i totally got saved by our lord jesus christ when i was 11

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

yikes

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomHarrison19/status/1593475441699987457

i feel like this every time i approach signing up for mastodon and i never get far

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

i tried explaining 4 loko to a gen z'er a few months ago and i felt very old. i just couldn't get across that 4 loko was like, a big thing at the time.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Catcher in the rye is a book about why you shouldn't read catcher in the rye because that kid is a turd

catcher in the rye is about hearing song lyrics wrong

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

raminasi posted:

it's not really prophetic. it's just a bunch of proto-thoughts, potentially about the future, and you see which ones resonate with you. it's basically a novel type of introspective exercise.

tarot owns and i agree with this post

sometimes you need an outside push to think about something differently, and using a tarot deck can be a good way to do that :shrug:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

sacré bleusky

i will forever pronounce it blueskee in my head now ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

proud to say i've been to that particular bass pro before