Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hey Kenny thanks for filtering Twitter for me. I appreciate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm lolin with poodle jones on the porch

rip to a great one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that picture is queen elizabeth ii of the uk. her husband just died

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Twitter is down right now what the gently caress jack

i hope its forever

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol holy cow that website

https://www.perutoforda.com/meet_a_charles posted:

Instead of me hiding and refusing to give a statement or explaining myself, I took to Facebook, and called him every name in the book. At one point, I actually offered to fight him in front of the District Attorney's Office with his 3 police guards observing. You see, Lynne Abraham, didn't need to pay 3 full-time cops to watch her day and night, with overtime coming out their ears. Seth Williams on the other hand had no regard for what this cost the City. However, he may have needed that type of protection if he did to others what he did to me. After all, if you are a crumb bum, you may have lots of enemies that will take a shot at you.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress it's true

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you're only supposed to steal from your OWN job silly! it's not unlikely that those tools were owned by the worker, not their boss!

now go forth and only steal from bosses

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

wasps in the back seat? well at least we know it's not a squad car lol

O_O

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just when i thought it couldn't get any dumber

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah i assume the tweet was a joke. idk about the battery part tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

graph posted:

they are not a good person or poster

i still wanna know what was going through their head when they made that post

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jim, there's nothing silly about this. it's a serious medical condition. you're gonna rupture them!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

did you just post video of some dudes dying

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mediaphage posted:

nah a blog post i found about it said they fell about five feet and got banged up

ah cool, thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cmon fatty you get all the dicks, leave some for everybody else. that's how trickle down dickonomics is supposed to work!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

drat that's cold

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

i grew up in lexington which may, along with louisville be the main exception here because the state is like 1/3 horse industry, 1/3 coal, 1/6 cars and 1/6 bourbon

yeah but the horse-dancers are all fuckin certifiable

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

only if you didn't carry your forehand

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you have to ask that question you clearly didn't play enough moria as a child

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao a friend and i used to legit do a 30 case of white castle and a 30 case of beer back in the day. glad to see it's become a package deal

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

graph posted:

i will smash an entire crave case stone sober

graph knows what's up

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

y'all are worse than tori with you "can't stop talking about stuff adults should already be able to do"

we all know how to clean our asses

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"NCEES discontinued the PE Software exam after April 2019."

LAME

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

back when we all used to go to the office, i had a good grip talking about what we do as "computer touching."

but now that i only talk to people for work stuff instead of BSing, that'll probably die out

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh yeah well YOURE NOT MY DAD AND REDDIT SUCKS!!!!!!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no me!!!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

only if you confuse "religion" for "abrahamic religion" tbh

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hell i'm sure there's not weird forms of those too that are still organized. reform judaism and whatever the christian and muslim equivalents are

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

beep there's lots of religions where either there's no god or they're not really part of the important bits

this is the thing about you confusing religion for abrahamic stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

without god there's no reason to do the rituals.

lmao wtf

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

waheguru in sikhism isnt very similar to the abrahamic concept of god. gods in taosim are usually but not always more akin to spirits than gods. same with most shinto poo poo. uhhhh jainism pretty much fits the bill too but some texts will call enlightened being "gods" but it's not really the same

and buddhism as you said

that's off the top of my head

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sure they do. but everything humans touch has that from engineering disciplines to musical scales to how species are named. dogma is a cognitive shortcut to end inquiry and can be applied to any bit of knowledge

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

President Beep posted:

so one has to accept that the person conveying the dogma is divinely mandated, usually indirectly (many times over).

that's not true. someone having some good tips on eliminating suffering or reaching enlightenment isn't at all the same thing as divine mandate. it's not all that different from taking advice from experts in other fields

it's ok to just not want to gently caress with the whole thing of course. but there's a difference between not knowing about something and knowing about it and specifically rejecting it, you know?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh if by dogma you mean like literal word of god type stuff, my bad i misunderstood. i just meant poo poo that people accept uncritically and that usually has a certain level of being "common sense" (that is, almost unable to be questioned) within the community

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i dont mean to paint too rosy of a picture for buddhism -there's definitely stuff you really do have to believe (or at least not specifically reject) to sensibly call yourself a buddhist. like, buddhism encourages people to test the hypotheses and not to believe stuff just cause somebody said it and all that sort of stuff which is great, but it's also kind of accepted that you'll land on "ohhhh there is no permanent and unchanging self" eventually. to my mind that's just saying that there are facts about the world (i just think it's a fact that there is no permanent and unchanging self, and have since before i considered myself buddhist) but there's still, idk, lines you kinda ought to color inside of i guess? people aren't gonna try to guilt you or w/e (it's not a sin to not understand, it's not a moral problem if you're wrong about something), but theres still a received metaphysics and stuff

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah what you said is right beep, with the caveat that claiming enlightenment isn't really done too much. it's more a "closer to the goal than me so i'll believe them" than "they went and did it, hot drat!"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah they're p chill

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah tbh that's how i ended up with buddhism. it was very much a "oh cool this religion says a bunch of poo poo i already thought was true". like the rebirth stuff isn't really my thing but that's generally not too problematic

figure out the metaphysics first and go from there imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah but it's only secondarily about reincarnation (which isn't a great term for metaphysical reasons but unimportant for present purposes). primary point of nirvana is cessation of suffering. the whole rebirth thing is let's say a problem for me and it's not too bad to work around but the goal is to end suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah that's p much it. for me (not others, this is how i deal with something that makes no sense to me, not what other people think) i lean hard on the lack of self to understand "rebirth" as something like the consequences of my actions after i'm gone. i want to be the sort of person that causes no suffering to others which "eliminates rebirth". that's kinda fast and loose but is the general gist.

e: sorry i don't know of anything specifically on rebirth. i'm sure there's stuff out there both contemporary and some translation of a commentary on a thing but i got nothin really other than my own harebrained bullshit coupled with more generic stuff

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 1, 2021