Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

vorebane posted:

Neither power or conviction is worthy without an understanding of the Boundaries of what is.

Interesting point. Boundaries.

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

me ready to greet the new decade
Boundaries

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
You enter...

(5) [Two of Swords] ...the Mouth of Boundaries

(1) [Seven of Wands] ...the Mouth of Conviction One beat gained
(3) [The Magician] ...the Mouth of Power Three beats gained
Tally: Six Experiences, Three Beats

Your destination chosen, you collect yourself and set out for the entrance. The going is easier now. Though the landscape appears little tread, the terrain softens. You pause at the mouth, taking a moment to glance behind you before you descend into the mountainside.

Back below, you catch a glimpse again of the strange five towers on the shores of Lake Avernus. From this distance they almost seem like beacons, easier to see now, easier to get to. Lightly curious, you move to step back - spying an outcropping that might give a better view of the whole scene.

Instead you pull up short, your body stopped in its tracks by a solid force - an unseen wall. You reach out your hands, feeling at the invisible barrier. Cool like glass, it stretches out and up - and you cannot find a way around it. The barrier makes your path one way now, each step taking the towers below more and more out of sight. The wall unerringly advances with you.

When you enter the cave fully, and the towers have all disappeared from your line of sight - a part of you understands you will never see any of them again. Undeterred or perhaps uncaring, you advance.

The rough rock cave slowly transitions into a manmade corridor. The corridor in kind becomes a series of twists, turns and dead ends. A labyrinth.

Virgil's Aeneid posted:

Daedalus, fleeing the realm of Minos, daring to trust himself to the sky on beating wings, floated up to the icy North, the first man to fly, and hovered lightly on Cumae’s heights at last. Here, on first returning to earth, he hallowed to you, Apollo, the oars of his rowing wings and here he built your grand, imposing temple. [On its] gate he carved Androgeos’ death and then the people of Athens, doomed — so cruel — to pay with the lives of seven sons. Year in, year out, the urn stands ready, the fateful lots are drawn.

Following the song as if it were the thread of Ariadne itself, you continue to push through the underground maze. It is difficult to tell when you are making progress. Occasionally the tunnel rises or lowers, sometimes circling back on itself, allowing you a glimpse of the way forward or back through cracks in stone. Carvings of unfamiliar figures, and inscriptions in an unknown language dot the walls and alcoves you pass. Still, you soon understand a pattern to the two sides. On your right, the motif is blood. Stone surfaces appear to be slick. Statues appear to be bleeding from the neck, eyes or wrists. The left motif is the soul. Here the figures are depicted with their essences being pulled free, separated from the body. Those walls appear glittering and at times transparent.

With some unease, you feel a hungry attraction to each.

These dark thoughts are pushed to the side when you are alerted to someone, or something, following you. Your newfound intuition tells you nothing good will come should it catch up to you. You hurry ahead.

Somehow, the follower inexorably gains on you. Your sense of time already lost, you could have been here minutes or hours before you see a change in the layout. You come to a wrought-bronze door, inscriptions of the Greek myth of the Minotaur intricately emblazoned on its surface. As you reach for the handle, you can hear the footsteps of the follower approaching you. You yank open the metal barricade, rushing inside and turning your efforts to shut it again. You do so with little time to spare, and in the small gap of light left between you, you finally see the form of your pursuer.

You know with certainty as the door slams shut that you will see this figure again.

Path of Fate posted:

The antagonist who will dog your initial existence is...
  • [The Hermit] ...The Preta: Once a broker of souls, this creature long ago lost its memories and itself to the Hollow. They lurch through existence feeding on the very spirits of their prey, savoring with particular enjoyment the supernatural entities they are able to capture and devour.
  • [Ten of Swords] ...The Salt-Witch: From the half-submerged city of Baiae, this notorious slaver endangers the lives of any Kindred who travel between domains without paying the appropriate surcharge to her Gallows Post. She will covet you as a prize keepsake intended for her personal menagerie.
  • [Seven of Cups] ...The Antipope: Cast out of power after the sack of Rome fifty years ago, he schemes his eventual return to the seat of Catholicism from his eternal cathedral in Naples. His flock will see you as nothing short of abomination, your works as nothing less than blasphemy.

Gothic Rite fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 24, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Salt-Witch

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Preta, entirely because the design is dope.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Anti-Pope

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Don't let your cups runneth over!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm anti the pope

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I'm hot for a Salt Witch

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

The way I'm looking at it, if the first choice overcomes us, we get devoured. If the last choice beats us, we get burned at the stake. But if the middle choice prevails against us, we end up in a zoo with a chance to get loose!

(Not a vote, I already voted)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Preta, entirely because the design is dope.

Seconded, though I'd normally be riding the blasphemy train

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
The Antipope

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

Although outnumbered, I will still vote for the Salt-Witch

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
Your initial antagonist is...

(4) [Seven of Cups] ...The Antipope

(3) [Ten of Swords] ...The Salt-Witch Three Beats Gained
(2) [The Hermit] ...The Preta Two Beats Gained
Tally: Seven Experiences, Three Beats

The Antipope posted:

timidis autem et incredulis et execratis et homicidis et fornicatoribus et veneficis et idolatris et omnibus mendacibus pars illorum erit in stagno ardenti igne et sulphure quod est mors secunda

The final words of the entity as you shut the gate echo in your ears, as does the image of the multitude of eyes, each independently moving and focusing on various parts of the labyrinth and you specifically. Scratches and thuds reach you next, as it attempts to force its way in.

It fails. Satisfied it will follow no further, you take stock of this new area. A break in the stone-hewn ceiling hints at light and fresh air, the words of the song are coming from above, louder than ever before. But how to ascend? Just as the thought crosses the surface of your mind, the Great Comet edges into sight overhead. Its ruddy light illuminating an object in your path.

Large peacock feathers, embedded in wax and affixed to a bone and light wooden frame. Thick leather straps with bronze buckles. It takes you little time to divine exactly what these are. And only a little more to work out how exactly it works. Soon the artifact is secured against your back, and with a flex of your shoulders, you gain a slight lift, then settle back to the floor.

Within a tick of the dial, you are ascending through the air itself. Through the ceiling you find the natural chimney and a continued scent of fresh, cool air. There are some close calls as you swerve to avoid outcroppings and twists in the chute, but soon you burst from the stoneway and into open sky.

Your eyes are greeted by a great structure perched here on the lonely mountaintop, the sky illuminated and warmed by the falling star overhead. There's an energy to your flight, a pleasure to it you manage to lose yourself in. It fades only when you notice one, then a second feather break free of the contraption, fluttering downward and out of sight. Your time in the sky was limited.

Your blood calms, unlike the the music here, which pulses loud and intense - almost felt, in fact. And with no doubt it emanates from this place.

The end of this journey is almost upon you.

Path of Fate posted:

You choose to encounter the castle's master...
  • [Nine of Pentacles] ...in the Throne Room. Why go anywhere else? You confront the ruler of this place where they are at their most commanding, their most opulent. You intend to see the full splendor of their presence.
  • [Five of Wands] ...atop the Guard Tower. Weapons and arms are within easy reach here. If there is to be a struggle, this place will allow no ambush, but simply the space for a single and direct confrontation.
  • [Eight of Swords] ...within the Oubliette. Why by coy? Let the master of this place throw every atrocity, every pain, every torture against you. You will endure them all and emerge stronger for it.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Oubliette

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Oubliette

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Throne Room

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Throne Room

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Oubliette

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Throne Room

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oubliette

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Pick up those wands! All is chaos!

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

Throne Room

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

You choose to encounter the castle's master in...

(4) [Eight of Swords] ...the Oubliette

(4) [Nine of Pentacles] ...the Throne Room Four Beats gained
(1) [Five of Wands] ...the Guard Tower One Beat Gained
Tally: Eight Experiences, Three Beats

The wings get you over the walls, and to the base of a tower before seizing up, forcing you to catch your balance with the momentum you hadn't yet compensated for. You shrug out of the straps, drop the frame, and enter the tower.

Stairs lead both up and down, but the echo of the song lured you below. In the basement of this tower, a large wooden door is inset into the floor. It takes you both hands to pull it open. Wooden steps so narrow they were closer to a ladder lead downward. You shove the door past its tipping point, letting it crash open before braving the way down.

You hesitated with your foot on the first rung. Not because you were second guessing yourself, but because you were processing a sudden understanding of information. The Lord of this Castle seeped into every aspect of this place. It could be better said, perhaps, that the castle and his mind shared a relationship. You were entering a place under his mastery, no entity here had greater power.

At the bottom of the ladder-stairs, another tunnel greets you - though this one was crafted with stonework more modern than the labyrinth you left. It furrows into a narrow path forward, the darkness cut by red, glowing mist that infused the air. As you begin to walk down it, you soon find the way patterned with regular alcoves. In each alcove was displayed a single page of parchment, somehow floating in the air unsupported. Each page is stained with a glowing red ink. The letters on these pages are the true source of the red glow which lights your path. Each page displayed a single name, the name of one of his victims. Mara had mentioned a ledger of blood. These were its contents.

You continue. Soon you pass a chapter - a collection of one-hundred pages. Later you pass a full book - a collection of one-hundred chapters. Later still, you come to count a volume - a collection of ten books. In the end you push yourself past nine volumes of names.

And as you finally push past the last alcove, a vision lifts you outside of your body, ascending into the sky until it joined with the great comet itself. You look down upon a globed earth, your presence casting a new sheen of red over its horizons. And here, you could see that your sun was not the center of the world, but a single page among uncountable volumes - as if there was no difference between the sun and stars but distance. Though even here, with the stars still unreachable, the earth was reflected by so many different dream realms and dimensions, it almost seemed to lose importance. And yet in another way these reflections fit together, as if they had once been whole, but now exist only shattered and disconnected.

With that thought you are grounded back into the stonework under Dracula's castle. The path forward opens into a rounded room - its floor precisely sloped toward a center point - a drainage grate made of polished brass.

It is Vlad the Impaler - not the Voivode, nor the Dragon Knight, nor the Groom, nor Prince - who waits for you in the Oubliette. The Impaler: Bloodthirsty, vengeful, righteous. A man with God on his side, enemies all around, and not a drop of mercy in his heart.

You absorb these sensations of him - almost taking a step back from the weight of the experience - but then in perhaps resolve or defiance, you meet his eyes. In them you see not a fire, but a cool and ashen grey. With that realization, his image warps before you.

In truth, the Impaler had not existed for a century. His death one-hundred years ago ended that phase along with his first mortality. He had become the Revenant, the Unmade Dragon, entering the hidden vampiric world with no maker to guide him.

Another pause. Why did you know these things? With each of your thoughts, more answers come directly into your mind. Many lead to more questions, until the cacophony of knowledge becomes an insect buzz.

He smiles sadly as if understanding your confusion, then motions slowly and simply with his left hand. First, your mind goes silent. The noise and music stills, allowing your own thoughts to breathe. Next, the brass grate shuddered and bent, its form warping and reshaping into a pointed lance. At its thickest, it is perhaps the girth of a sword's grip. However it tapers to the thin, perfect point of a needle. The whole thing extended toward you... then stopped. His hand beckoned your forward, then returned to the rest of his chair.

He was asking you to impale yourself. A sacrifice of pain to restart that kindling behind his eyes.

Part of you bristled, but the part that had expected pain and hardship - that had sought it out, it is what pushes you forward. You would make your offering, and then demand your new life. You consider how - what would be appropriate? What did he want?

In the end, you make the choice for your own sake. This was going to be a step toward your new existence. And as Mara had encouraged you, you chose to define it in your own way. You pledged to yourself that giving your pain, that suffering on behalf of others, was something to be valued and respected. No more would you suffer needlessly. It would be by choice.

Path of Fate posted:

You impale yourself through...
  • [Three of Pentacles] ...the Palms. If you are to suffer for others, you hope that it will be for a cause or leader you believe in. You will not suffer tyrants.
  • [Knight of Swords] ...the Eye. If you are to suffer for others, it should only be done intelligently and with specific purpose. Do not suffer fools.
  • [Temperance] ...the Heart. If you are to suffer for others, it must be tempered with reciprocation. Do not suffer the thankless.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Heart seems metal as gently caress.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

HeartAn eye seems metal as gently caress.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

The eye

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Eye

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Eye

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Mix Fire With Water!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The eye is definitely metal as gently caress

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
The eye

aldrich
Dec 31, 2020

I agree, it must be the eye

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

You impale yourself through the...

(7) [Knight of Swords] ...Eye

(2) [Temperance] ...Heart Two Beats Gained
(0) [Three of Pentacles] ...Palms
Tally: Nine Experiences

You make your decision - the eye. The Impaler senses the choice in you, leaning forward in anticipation. As you approach the metal tip , you see a single drop of red suspended from it. You calm your breathing as you get as close as possible, fighting the almost overwhelming urge to blink and pull away.

First savoring a moment of serenity which you accept could very well be your last, you act to join the impaled. The point of the metal pierces the cornea of your eye. Time seems to slow as as the thin, clear lens warps, pressing inwards, before the metal breaks through. You push. The tip enters the void of your iris, then moves deeper.

Somehow, you can still see, though your pierced eye views everything through a filter of viscous red. As the metal pushes deeper, past your eye into the nerves and cavities behind it, the pain begins in truth. White-hot sparks flash like gunpowder, spasming some of your muscles each time the hurt crescendos.

You push, though it gets harder and harder. The first time you falter, the metal spike has expanded in its gauge such that it fills your entire socket. You adjust your stance, one hand wrapping around the spike to help pull yourself further along.

You push. More lightning, though this time you can feel the bones around your eyes cracking through the pain. But these fractures allow you the give to keep going. You pull and take a step.

You stall again. You push. You stall. Both hands now on the lance - you push and pull at the same time. The needletip bursts from the back of your skull, blood and humors running down the flesh of your spine

Some of your vision is collapsing now, darkness pressing in its edges. The angle of the spear forces your stance lower and lower as you progress. Soon you drop fully to one knee. You pull.

You pull until the pain is as bright as the sun, blackness consumes your sight completely, and your life spills away.

(Path of Fate Completed)

Ordo Dracul book, p84 posted:

The [Order of Dracula]'s inner explorations aren’t only mystical or intellectual. They have a spiritual (or, some say, quasipsychological) dimension as well. For more than a century [disputed], a Tarot-based inquiry has been used to unveil the inner selves of potential Order members. Those who believe in the system claim that by understanding one’s Fate Card, a vampire can gain self-knowledge that ultimately yields an inner strength that surpasses that of most mortals and vampires alike.

The Dragons calls this process “walking the Paths of Fate,” and many Kindred who seek to join the covenant are faced with this test before any significant decisions are made about their future position within the Order. The Paths of Fate are, if nothing else, a personality test designed to reveal certain facets of a Kindred’s psyche to the Dragons considering her petition for membership. If the most faithful supporters of the Paths of Fate are to be believed, the test is more of a psycho-spiritual gauge of a vampire’s “true self.” Such spiritualists believe there are no coincidences during the test — every card that is turned over has a mystical significance for the test-taker. Throughout the covenant, however, no single means of interpreting that significance has ever been agreed upon.

The Fate Card which represents you is...

Preference Gauge: Vote for as many selections as you find interesting. Highest tally wins. This choice will set the average starting reputation of the Eidolon within the Order of Dracula, as well as an additional reversed theme for the chosen Fate Card. This is more important for newly made or recently joined vampires (like you), who have yet to build relationships within the Mystery Cult and thus earn their individual reputations. Before then, however, other kindred will often default to using the Fate Card as a gauge, and while one's Fate Card is rarely used as directly admissible evidence of character, it was known to sway Twilight Juror's considerations. How a student reacts to their Fate Card is a personal choice. But whether one rejected it, embraced it, or ignored it - how they navigate the label will be judged, codified, and appraised by mentors and fellow students alike.
  • [Death] - Locust warrior, crusader, insatiable devourer — you can sustain, indefinitely, a fury that would exhaust weaker creatures in an instant. But your path is a lonesome one, for any who would walk beside Death risk falling into her shadow. [Few prefer] Death except the Sworn of the Axe, but some of that Oath will welcome a Death-aspected Kindred almost sight unseen. (Reversed Theme: Diablerie)
  • [Eight of Cups] - [The Eights are seen as representing a student who will most benefit through experience rather than traditional scholastic programs. For some teachers in the Dying Light this is an automatic disqualification. But those mentors with the patience for individualized attention will often see their students generating opportunities in the field. Eights of Cups are known for an independence streak that makes them preferred in solo roles.] (Reversed Theme: Limbo)
  • [King of Wands] - The power of the sword is the power to destroy, but the power of the wand is to build. It is your power. You long to have more than all you survey, but it will be empty to you unless you deserve it. Labor without ceasing to develop your kingdom, but do so by paying honest due to friends and honest ire to foes. In that way you will rule with a steady hand. The King of Wands is popular with tutors and the Oathbound — as long as they are certain that others, and not themselves, will bear the cost of construction. (Reversed Theme: Ruthlessness)
  • [Ace of Pentacles] [As one of the ace cards, these dragons have a stronger than usual pull to certain classical desires. With the Ace of Pentacles, it is the pursuit of wealth and luxury. Many Aces of Pentacles are seen as guaranteed sources of income - either because of some discovery the student will make under their name, or some talent that tutor will be able to exploit. Per -Twilight Jury reference number redacted- Aces of Pentacles are not considered Spoils of Battle, though may be wagered or ransomed as if they were during the Code Duello] (Reversed Theme: Ruin)
  • [Ace of Cups] - [As one of the ace cards, these dragons have a stronger than usual pull to certain classical desires. With the Ace of Cups, it is a desire to understand the emotions of others. While the Axe tend to see these Aces as soft to a rule, the Mysteries and Twilight Council prize them, both knowing that understanding is usually a step toward manipulation.] (Reversed Theme: Grief)
  • [Page of Swords] - [Pages are seen as a common interpretation of the dragon student, and thus will be accepted by mentors more on their personal abilities and talents. They represent a mindset early in its existence, when passion still motivates more than obsession. Pages of Swords are often motivated by a desire to overcome someone in specific.] (Reversed Theme: Deception)
  • [Page of Cups] - [Pages are seen as a common interpretation of the dragon student, and thus will be accepted by mentors more on their personal abilities and talents. They represent a mindset early in its existence, when passion still motivates more than obsession. Pages of Cups are often motivated by a desire to overcome dangerous ideals.] (Reversed Theme: Insecurity)
  • [The Moon] - As the moon’s visage changes, so does yours. You are comfortable living two lives, showing two faces, indulging in private what you publicly disdain. While you do not necessarily have to be a hypocrite, you do need to strike a balance between your consuming urges and your need to maintain discipline. The Sworn of the Axe recruit Moons for their infiltration and scouting arm: the Sworn of the Dying Light tend to look askance at them, while the Mysteries are neutral. [The Twilight Council grants preference to Moons who seek the path of the Judge. Not all] tutors value discipline at the price of obsession, but those who do, really do. (Reversed Theme: Confusion)
  • [Two of Swords] - We are all of us blind, but you at least have the guidance of knowing your blindness. Make no sudden moves in the darkness, give no shout that could betray your position, but instead move quietly, gradually, like water seeping through a wall. Wait for your chance. In time, in darkness, it will stumble upon you. If you have kept ready, it cannot escape you. The Sworn of the Dying Light find the patience and calm of this fate to be a splendid match [...] and [preferred by the Twilight Council] for legal judgment. The other Oaths tend to find them a little too taciturn and gradual. But most tutors are happy with a student who is unlikely to fly off the handle and do anything strange, even if she’s equally unlikely to do anything brilliant. (Reversed Theme: Stalemate)
  • [Seven of Cups] - Gathering is your joy. Draw together that which delights you and lock it away, storing it for a time of need or simply because its safety gives you pleasure. It may be best for you to keep your collection secret, whatever it is: let others befriend you for the other fruits of your moderation, but your most precious treasures should be hid from envying eyes. The secrecy and selfishness associated with this fate give most tutors and Oathbound pause — with the notable exceptions of those who have, themselves, something to hide. (Reversed Theme: Temptation)
  • [Eight of Swords] - [The Eights are seen as representing a student who will most benefit through experience rather than traditional scholastic programs. For some teachers in the Dying Light this is an automatic disqualification. But those mentors with the patience for individualized attention will often see their students generating opportunities in the field. Eights of Swords are known for a resilience that makes them excellent test subjects.] (Reversed Theme: Surrender)
  • [Knight of Swords] - Brave but impetuous, you are the first to fly into a fight — be it for good or ill, be it wise or foolhardy. Your spirit is one of vast fierceness, and if you follow your heart it will lend you great strength — which you will assuredly need. Your greatest challenge will be choosing between your soul and the counsel of calmer, wiser friends. Assuming, of course, that you make such friends. The Sworn of the Axe see this fate as a shining endorsement. [...] (Reversed Theme: Arrogance)

History of the Gothic Rite posted:

Prior to the implementation of the Gregorian Calendar, the Paths of Fate, like the independent Twilight Council itself, was still a fresh and untested system. As no universal standards of operation were yet codified between the Rites, interpretations were based solely on the preference of the local Twilight Judge. Like most conclaves in 1577, The Ordo Dracul within the Dead Domains of Napoli had yet to be assigned a Judge. At that time, Confessor Malachi of the Ascended Spark held highest rank, one of the original followers of the Gothic Rite, the origin of the Paths of Fate themselves [disputed].

Gothic Rite fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 12, 2021

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Death
King of Wands
Page of Swords
Page of Cups
The Moon
Two of Swords
Knight of Swords

Toughy