Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
a place to talk about all the dice chucking, meeple herding, tile mashing, card huffling, paperwork processing, plastic and pewter pushing and painting superhobby of traditional games and so forth, sally forth for great adventure

got questions? maybe just chats? we got plenty of it in spades

please be nice and kind to each other :)

for everybody else, here is a picture of a dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller

Sweet, let me blaspheme off the bat, and say I really like the steam version of Wingspan.

Gives me AI opponents, doesn't let me do things against the rules by accident, and I can get a lot more games in quick with the computer doing all teh shuffles, deals, egg placing, whatever.

That said, I would like to play the physical game with real people some day

Buon canino!

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I was told there would be Hero Quest©
:crossarms:

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I'm here for the wild betting on camel cup.

E. Good doggins

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

B33rChiller posted:

Sweet, let me blaspheme off the bat, and say I really like the steam version of Wingspan.

Gives me AI opponents, doesn't let me do things against the rules by accident, and I can get a lot more games in quick with the computer doing all teh shuffles, deals, egg placing, whatever.

That said, I would like to play the physical game with real people some day

Buon canino!

i heard that game was real pretty and it is cool it gets a computer version, many boardgames are getting that treatment

prepuce repurposed posted:

I was told there would be Hero Quest©
:crossarms:

a fine excuse to link this fantastic video from a probably cool dude (his other videos are pretty good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx8sl2uC46A

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
trad games are cool

i told some friends i wanna run an original d&d5e adventure on new years eve but I haven't put any work into it yet

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

blaise rascal posted:

trad games are cool

i told some friends i wanna run an original d&d5e adventure on new years eve but I haven't put any work into it yet

i recommend you put no work into it and then make a lot of jokes about 2020 and relive the greatest hits then end the adventure with a huge-rear end disco ball dropping on them or their foes

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
approximately 1 joke per 60 minutes should suffice

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

blaise rascal posted:

trad games are cool

same except i've been promising it for two months :abrathink:

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Ass-penny

My roommates and I recently wrapped up a 5th ed Shadowrun game, there was some debate about what we wanted to play for our next house game (meaning just the roommates). We ended up deciding to do a short adventure in Pugmire, a game mechanically very similar to 5th ed D&D, but all the people are dogs of different sorts, humanity once existed but has disappeared, there's some kind of religion around them. It's funny, light-hearted. Both of our characters have silly joke names, and our GM created third party member is fairly silly too. We've only done a session 0 so far, looking forward to seeing what happens.

more falafel please

forums poster

my dm got burned out on playing online d&d in like April but we just recently started playing again which is rad!

it's a west marches style game in 5e, so every session we go down into a dungeon, often times with different players/characters than the last time, potentially at different levels, and then at the end of every session we go back up

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
I'm going to bust into this threads gun blazing. One thing I like to do is commissioning pictures of my friends' ttrpg characters for their birthdays or big events. It's fun though and a nice way to give money to artists I like. Here are a few.
Here's Bingo Bango's halfling ranger/artificer

She has weird little panataloons and a flying weasel animal companion. She has one fingerless glove that lets her skip stones off of people.

Here's my friend's tiefling bard, "Bon" Jean Bovi

Here's my own current PC, a deep gnome cleric

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

rear end-penny posted:

My roommates and I recently wrapped up a 5th ed Shadowrun game, there was some debate about what we wanted to play for our next house game (meaning just the roommates). We ended up deciding to do a short adventure in Pugmire, a game mechanically very similar to 5th ed D&D, but all the people are dogs of different sorts, humanity once existed but has disappeared, there's some kind of religion around them. It's funny, light-hearted. Both of our characters have silly joke names, and our GM created third party member is fairly silly too. We've only done a session 0 so far, looking forward to seeing what happens.

that is very wholesome.

more falafel please posted:

my dm got burned out on playing online d&d in like April but we just recently started playing again which is rad!

it's a west marches style game in 5e, so every session we go down into a dungeon, often times with different players/characters than the last time, potentially at different levels, and then at the end of every session we go back up

the secret i have discovered to west marches games is that you can do them and overpreparation is the thing that makes people go crazy. used to be that was the default mode of play where you had like Jim the level 5 wazzard and someone showed up with Hugh the level 1 fighter and you just kinda had to make everything work

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm going to bust into this threads gun blazing. One thing I like to do is commissioning pictures of my friends' ttrpg characters for their birthdays or big events. It's fun though and a nice way to give money to artists I like. Here are a few.

She has weird little panataloons and a flying weasel animal companion. She has one fingerless glove that lets her skip stones off of people.

nice!!!!!!!!!!!

more falafel please

forums poster

aldantefax posted:

that is very wholesome.

the secret i have discovered to west marches games is that you can do them and overpreparation is the thing that makes people go crazy. used to be that was the default mode of play where you had like Jim the level 5 wazzard and someone showed up with Hugh the level 1 fighter and you just kinda had to make everything work

nice!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah he's mostly going off of a prewritten module but he modifies it a lot so we usually try to tell him where we're going to explore before we go down so he can prep. i haven't played in one of his own campaigns so idk how much prep he usually needs

Goons Are Gifts

Until ten minutes ago I was playing a round of Gloomhaven with friends. We also regularly play a poo poo ton of other board games and for many years I've been a GM in P&P, mostly Shadowrun or Cthulhu, but also a ton of other things

I'm very traditional

Ass-penny

How Wonderful! posted:

This is dope, I've actually considered commissioning art of PCs from games but never pulled the trigger. Maybe I should reach out to my art homies. Do you have a person you like and do business with regularly or do you commission different artists for all of them?

Also about Pugmire, there is a cat empire that is regarding with a great deal of suspicion. I'm thinking about making a playlist with songs about dogs/cats.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

rear end-penny posted:

This is dope, I've actually considered commissioning art of PCs from games but never pulled the trigger. Maybe I should reach out to my art homies. Do you have a person you like and do business with regularly or do you commission different artists for all of them?

Also about Pugmire, there is a cat empire that is regarding with a great deal of suspicion. I'm thinking about making a playlist with songs about dogs/cats.

i do know of a fellow goon but i think she is currently swamped in commission work and such. if you're interested i can put you in touch!

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

when we first started playing, everybody had a character and we would rotate who was dm each session/adventure. the dm's character just leveled up off-screen with everyone else so there's no need to catch up later. that might help to prevent burnout if multiple people are interested in running games!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
There was an old group where this would happen every few sessions or so but I couldn't really predict when it was coming so it would be like cool madcap development for 3 or 4 sessions then oh well it's over without resolving any character stuff but that was cool I guess!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i was thinking that something i have been noticing recently as a trend is like, positive high adventure, where people are just kind of plucky adventurers that get swept up in stuff with serious backstories but they just kinda enjoy each others company and it's more about their relationship development together rather than like, you gotta fight the evil bad thing.

Basically, something like this

Bingo Bango

tonight in d&d:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
haha, i love it

i've been a patreon supporter for the 2 minute table top guy and use mostly his maps because i like his aesthetic, but i'd like more maps and there really isn't a great way to get all the new patreon maps at once

the hand-drawn style of the maps is pretty nice though and a lot of the maps usually i can thumb through to find a nice map or set of maps and assets to use for something i can bash together in like 15 minutes, which is usually about as much prep time as i can get after work before a game starts (note: i also end up running games almost every night, plus multiple on the weekends)

Bingo Bango

I love making maps! I treated myself to Dungeondraft and Wonderdraft last year and have been going hog wild with it.

biosterous

i enjoy the deck-builder game Dominion a lot and it would be fun to play with some of y'all. you can play free and official at https://dominion.games

i folks are interested i might grab a month of subscription to play with all the expansion cards with folks, but the base set is still plenty fun imo!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i've trialed a lot of games on tabletop simulator and turned around and bought the physical ones if i liked em, but maybe i want to also play Games with People online too. dominoions cool sometimes but the last like 10 times i played we did Ultra Chaos Mode on tabletop simulator and it has a duck that quacks for like three minutes while it shuffles 20 expansions together

B33rChiller

ooof, that sounds rough.

I would most certainly be up for playing some boardgames on simulator, or via some kind of official release on steam, should you be looking for a +1.

the chat above about map making for rpgs reminded me of this humble bundle If you like to make maps, these tools might be useful at an attractive price point. I'm not into any of that at all, but I saw it while browsing.

:trashed:

Dr. Honked posted:

the junk, rather than the trunk
aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

B33rChiller posted:

ooof, that sounds rough.

I would most certainly be up for playing some boardgames on simulator, or via some kind of official release on steam, should you be looking for a +1.

the chat above about map making for rpgs reminded me of this humble bundle If you like to make maps, these tools might be useful at an attractive price point. I'm not into any of that at all, but I saw it while browsing.

it's quite a good deal but unless you really like CAD programs then you might find other mapping stuff more to taste. for about a year i ran a game with a dwarf fortress world map and that was just fine

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I have had good experiences with boardgamearena.com
very useful for family non-gatherings this year.

more falafel please

forums poster

my wife's half-orc Druid died today. our DM likes making intellect devourers extremely OP. basically fail one save and you're dead if he rolls 3d6 and it's higher than your INT
edit: and dead in such a way that we can't bring them back with raise the dead

then again she'd been playing that horny bastard for 2 years and rolled really bad initial stats so she was excited to play another character. we need a new tank though :(

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
an even hornier tank

more falafel please

forums poster

aldantefax posted:

an even hornier tank

she's rolling a tiefling ranger with soldier background and planning to play her as like an elite sniper badass which is a cool character but it's never gonna replace N, who literally let every NPC know that if they were into it, we can gently caress

also his adventuring motivation was that he needed money to support his kids. he would support all of his kid until they turned 10, then they're on their own. during our campaign he has 10 kids he knows about under 10 that he's trying to support. the thing is, half-orcs can't reproduce, so none of these kids are his. but he doesn't know that and it'd be pretty rude to tell him

so tonight we did a shot of malört (which has an in-game mechanic) to the memory of N, the cuck who fucks

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i introduced a trainer guy for a quest in my game last name who had tattooed on his back "born and raised in a cave / dual wielding tetsubos / is all i crave"

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

so tonight we did a shot of malört (which has an in-game mechanic) to the memory of N, the cuck who fucks

salute

Heather Papps

hello friend

my brother bought https://robots.management/ recently and i'm pretty excited to eventually play it. it's basically the blade runner replicant scene but as a game where one person is the interviewer and the other is either a robot or human and has to try and hide the fact/convince the interviewer they are human.
it seems very fun.

i'm also waiting for more vaccines to try and find strangers in town who'd like to play d and d. i miss it so much.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Ass-penny

Heather Papps posted:

my brother bought https://robots.management/ recently and i'm pretty excited to eventually play it. it's basically the blade runner replicant scene but as a game where one person is the interviewer and the other is either a robot or human and has to try and hide the fact/convince the interviewer they are human.
it seems very fun.

i'm also waiting for more vaccines to try and find strangers in town who'd like to play d and d. i miss it so much.

That game seems interesting, I find social games a real cool diversion from other types of games. A friend of mine introduced me to Someone Has Died about a year ago and we were tearing up we were laughing so hard. For those unfamiliar with the game, it is a storytelling game about will arbitration. Everyone is assigned a relationship to the deceased, and slowly more and more details about yourself are revealed and you need to work them into your story, all the while making your case for why you should be granted the inheritance.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

Heather Papps posted:

it seems very fun.

We've been playing a bit of this and it's so fun. I haven't laughed so much at a game in years although it's one of those things where I imagine the two people just playing it over and over might get a little predictable.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Stoner Sloth

learnt about some new games itt, thanks trad gaming yob friends!!

i'm still playing in da GBS campaign and wanted to point out that my last character was defeated by mysterious blue fluid and that my new character is literally an orb (beholder detective) - seems like a yob friendly campaign all in all!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
nice

Ass-penny

Hey so I guess I'm bumping this to say, what is the most BYOB traditional game you can think of? I'm leaning Tsuro. I don't know if any of you hosed with this game really, but it's a game where your piece follows a path and at first it seems there's a lot of space, but rapidly you realize there is not that much space, and people fall off the board. It is interesting because when two or more players are entering the same tile the player that plays the tile really controls everyone's fate, which leads to aggressive playing, intentionally sending other players to the edge, or how most of my friends play, where we try to keep everyone on the board. I have won with two or three players at the same time on occasion.
So the unfamiliar can understand that last bit, the path tiles fill up all but one square of the grid, and one tile that goes on the tile stack with no paths but I think has the name of the game and an illustration on it. Players whose paths take them to the "dragon tile" are considered winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

is that the game with the boats and the loopy tiles

if so that's a good game

e: yeah that's the game! what a good game

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him