Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think I've tried them all on the west coast and am ready to rank the various places that have created new chicken sandwiches in response to Popeyes.

Updated 09/09/2022

Tier 1 - Consider Adding to Your Rotation
Rallys - One of the most different from Popeyes on the list but also one of the best. Very good flavors. I would feel weird ordering something with no lettuce but it is kind of a distraction. Other than that I enjoyed it. Something you can get late night although not as late as Whataburger.

Tier 2 - If You Feel Like A Chicken Sandwich
KFC - You are taking a risk at KFC if you order anything but their regular chicken these days but their sandwich is good enough. Tastes like a big tender.
McDonalds - Probably not as good as their former chicken sandwich, and you aren't going to go to McDonalds if you want to have an amazing chicken sandwich, but it's still decent enough. I'll probably have a million of these since I have a McDonalds a 5 minute walk from my place. E: I think I like this more than everyone else on Earth, but I do like it.
Whataburger - Same story as all the places that do this frozen is they start out good but get bad as time wears on. I have not enjoyed this as much the last few times that I've had it and I'm not even sure it still qualifies as a popeyes rip off since they started to get really thin. Still, there's solid flavor here and maybe they could fix it again.
Carls JR -It's fine. Carls has had hand breaded chicken for like five years now but you were really taking your life in your hands half the time you'd get still kind of frozen rear end sandwich or tender (also hand breaded). Their new version is MUCH more consistent now that they have copied the Chik A Fil/Popeyes prep method.

Tier 3 - Bad
Jack N The Box - The longer these are on the menu the longer they're frozen and the worse they get. The texture is really disgusting, it's very veiny. Jack N the Box should tap out of the chicken wars and go back to just your standard small chicken patty.
Wendys - They replaced a good and reliable chicken sandwich with one that tastes almost as bad as Sonic (which if this was not a Popeye Ripoff tier and was just a chicken sandwich tier would be below this but barely). I can eat it but I would rather not. Luckily they still have many other good chicken options, such as Spicy [which is good].

Tier 4 - Inedible
Church's - Legit gross. Their sandwiches were never wonderful before but on a menu that is a bit of a wildcard anyway, they were one of the safer things to get along with your mashed potatoes there. No longer. The chicken is sour. The sauce tastes weird. The bun was stale. Avoid.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rick posted:

I think I've tried them all on the west coast and am ready to rank the various places that have created new chicken sandwiches in response to Popeyes.

Tier 1 - Consider Adding to Your Rotation
Whataburger - Probably the closest to the popeyes if that is what you are going for. Spicy only, but that's okay. You can get it at 3:00 AM, which is nice.
Rallys - One of the most different from Popeyes on the list but also one of the best. Very good flavors. I would feel weird ordering something with no lettuce but it is kind of a distraction. Other than that I enjoyed it. Something you can get late night although not as late as Whataburger.

Tier 2 - If You Feel Like A Chicken Sandwich
KFC - You are taking a risk at KFC if you order anything but their regular chicken these days but their sandwich is good enough. Tastes like a big tender.
Jack N The Box - Pure mid tier. I would not go out of my way for this but if I was at JnB and was in the mood for chicken I'd get it. Sauce doesn't really add much. Still, Jack N The Box chicken had started to get pretty bad so the change is welcome. Also a bonus for being able to get it all night.

Tier 3 - Bad
Wendys - They replaced a good and reliable chicken sandwich with one that tastes almost as bad as Sonic (which if this was not a Popeye Ripoff tier and was just a chicken sandwich tier would be below this but barely). I can eat it but I would rather not. Luckily they still have many other good chicken options.

Tier 4 - Inedible
Church's - Legit gross. Their sandwiches were never wonderful before but on a menu that is a bit of a wildcard anyway, they were one of the safer things to get along with your mashed potatoes there. No longer. The chicken is sour. The sauce tastes weird. The bun was stale. Avoid.

Did Wendy's change their spicy chicken sandwich too, or did they just add a new "classic" chicken sandwich that's lame?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Spicy is still what it was before the change, they only changed homestyle.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

You should try shake shack’s chicken sandwich op, it is very good

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I can so rarely go there that I feel like I should get the burger but I would like to try their chicken.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rick posted:

Spicy is still what it was before the change, they only changed homestyle.

Thank christ, just move the Wendy's spicy to the top of the list OP

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rick posted:

I can so rarely go there that I feel like I should get the burger but I would like to try their chicken.

Wendy's spicy chicken and all their sandwich variants you can get with their spicy chicken > Wendy's burgers.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Wendy's spicy chicken and all their sandwich variants you can get with their spicy chicken > Wendy's burgers.

This.

It's so weird.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

This.

It's so weird.

The burgers were better when Dave was still alive. :rip:

Now they're less "hot & juicy" and more just sort of oddly... warm and moist?

The Wendy's spicy chicken is based on a solid spice formula that I don't think has been tampered with though.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

sean10mm posted:

The burgers were better when Dave was still alive. :rip:

Now they're less "hot & juicy" and more just sort of oddly... warm and moist?

You can blame the clamshell grill for that. It's like a giant George Foreman grill that cooks the patties on both sides, simultaneously. Because the moisture has nowhere to go, you end up with grey, steamed hamburgers rather than tasty, seared hamburgers. Protip- some of the older Wendy's locations still have a flattop grill because the franchisee hasn't upgraded yet. The burgers from these stores are absolutely better.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

MullardEL34 posted:

You can blame the clamshell grill for that. It's like a giant George Foreman grill that cooks the patties on both sides, simultaneously. Because the moisture has nowhere to go, you end up with grey, steamed hamburgers rather than tasty, seared hamburgers. Protip- some of the older Wendy's locations still have a flattop grill because the franchisee hasn't upgraded yet. The burgers from these stores are absolutely better.

Holy poo poo this is why the one near me is no good now or the one they opened new more recently. The meat is like the same texture as the bun it’s very off putting

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Thank christ, just move the Wendy's spicy to the top of the list OP

It's not a popeyes rip off, it's a true hero.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MullardEL34 posted:

Wow that makes a lot of sense.

They also don't seem to season them enough imo.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Where does the original BK Long Chicken rate against Popeyes for you

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SilvergunSuperman posted:

No lie, the quarter pounder with cheese is better than a Wendy's 1/4lb single now.

How the mighty have fallen.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SilvergunSuperman posted:

one thing that helps a lot is adding mustard to any wendy's burg you order (the double stack already has it).

as far as i know up until like, 2012, mustard was a default part of every wendy's burger, but it got pulled off everything but the double stack when they redid their burgers for some reason. it makes a surprising difference; i can't speak to the grill changes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Looks like Mcdonald's is throwing itself into the chicken sandwich battle royale.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

TheAardvark posted:

one thing that helps a lot is adding mustard to any wendy's burg you order (the double stack already has it).

as far as i know up until like, 2012, mustard was a default part of every wendy's burger, but it got pulled off everything but the double stack when they redid their burgers for some reason. it makes a surprising difference; i can't speak to the grill changes though

:aaaaa:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheAardvark posted:

They did this because kids don't like the stronger mustard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Derpies posted:

Where does the original BK Long Chicken rate against Popeyes for you

I prefer Popeyes but if you find the rare BK that isn’t pulling the chicken out of a freezer where it has been sitting since the Clinton administration it is closer than one might expect.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

TheAardvark posted:

100% truth

~~* luv u *~~

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

edit: wrong topic

halokiller fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 9, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Added McDonalds and BK to the rankings.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Burger Kings new chicken sandwich isn't out yet. It's still just the lovely one they've been selling for years now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Maybe I am in a test region for it or something but it is definitely out now here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wendy's chicken sandwiches are not bad you weird dolt.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And you can get two for $5 right now! Or one spicy chicken and one quarter pounder with cheese. It's a real good deal if you aren't craving fries. The Wendy burger and Wendy chicken sandy are both better than the McDonalds or BK equivalent.

I'd much rather have 2 sandwiches than 1 sandwich and risky fries that are maybe soggy, maybe too salty, maybe unsalted, maybe cold. Also I'm not a huge soda haver I usually have a thermos of water or order a free cup of water w/ ice so the "combo meal" thing has always been disappointing to me

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They're awful and the fact that you are someone who likes them says a lot.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The new Wendy's classic chicken (a new thing called classic makes no sense wtf) is a dumb popeyes ripoff attempt that needs to be distinguished from their spicy chicken based sandwiches that didn't change AFAIK and are good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Concerning Wendy's spicy chic:

Rick posted:

It's not a popeyes rip off, it's a true hero.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't think the Op of the thread is qualified to talk about this topic on the basis that they don't know poo poo about poo poo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

I don't think the Op of the thread is qualified to talk about this topic on the basis that they don't know poo poo about poo poo

I'm an expert.

sean10mm posted:

Concerning Wendy's spicy chic:

Just finished having one, good as always.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

sean10mm posted:

The new Wendy's classic chicken (a new thing called classic makes no sense wtf) is a dumb popeyes ripoff attempt that needs to be distinguished from their spicy chicken based sandwiches that didn't change AFAIK and are good.

Have not had the new "classic chicken" and was unaware of it. I assumed OP was blaspheming the name of the spicy chic sandwich.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

Respect Rick

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Respect Rick

THank you for your words of wisdom.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

But they have good opinions about Wendy's spicy chic

Rick posted:

Just finished having one, good as always.

:hmmyes:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

fried chicken sandwiches are weird because the chicken is already breaded, so if you're putting that inside a bun, somewhere a mistake has been made

i wouldn't arrest someone for eating one, but i would certainly have my secret police question the manufacturer

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

A just probe

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

you know you can buy a chicken patty, tear it into strips, and then eat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerKing
Mar 9, 2021
Burger King would like to apologize for our disgruntled intern taking over HugeGrossBurrito's account and probating all those people for 18 hours. We hear you, we are sorry. We will do better next time.