Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Noonsaliwah posted:

I felt so drained and sad after that episode, it felt like they opened with an hour of making people feel miserable - stringing out the misery as best they can.

Like, here's some happy hopeful people! Let's see how quickly we can make a room full of them crying.

The cliffhanger is: More upset and sadness for our contestants coming soon!

I hope this isn't the energy for the next episode, because that isn't the kinda media I want at the moment.

I think this was a really good way of putting it. There was just no real enjoyment to be had from it. I mean, there’s always going to be someone disappointed at the end of the episode when they’re cut, but there’s no reason to make half the queens suffer for some really dumb twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
We also got robbed of the queens all walking in and kiki-ing in exchange for "looks like I'm the first one :smug:" x6

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
I haven't read any of the thread and i haven't had a chance to watch the new episode but I just want to blindly post my love and support for Utica Queen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Utica is giving me extra Thorgy vibes, and I don't know if I can handle that.

I'm getting "Thorgy but less irritating".

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I really, really like Olivia Lux. That's all.

Yeah she's just absolutely lovely. So far her drag is just at "fine" for me, but she's just so sweet that I want her to stay around.

I'm also not a huge fan of the "make half the queens think they've been eliminated in ep 1" format. I get that they feel the need to have a new twist every now and then but this one kinda sucks.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Olivia seems like Joslyn Fox levels of sweetness. Not sure if I'll enjoy her drag aesthetic much, but I'll definitely enjoy the vibe she brings. Same with Joey for me.

I like Utica because there's something genuine about her kookiness. Her being from some tiny religious midwest town makes me really believe that's just how she is.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Like like like like like. It annoys the gently caress out of me.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I also love Utica Queen. Also I appreciate Tina Burner managing to fit a fisting joke into a lip sync.

That episode was terrible.

I mean Jesus christ it even had an air guitar win a lip sync.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Utica Queen is a Thorgy who thinks they're an Yvie Oddly.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

hotdog feet posted:

I haven't read any of the thread and i haven't had a chance to watch the new episode but I just want to blindly post my love and support for Utica Queen.

I have no idea who that is because we spent less than five minutes with each queen and didn't get to know a single loving one of them.

Has there been any show that went from such high heights to absolute pure poo poo as quickly as Drag Race did with this episode?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I loving hated this premier

Goddamn what a disaster. Usually I am okay with changes to format but it was just cruel and lovely way to open things

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
As an Elliott with two T's, Elliott with Two T's is my spirit animal and I'll root for her no matter what. There are dozens of us!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Sounds like I should just skip this ep and start from the next one

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blizzardvizard posted:

Sounds like I should just skip this ep and start from the next one

I think that's a good idea. I suspect there will be a twist to the twist, and the end result will be much less horrible. Or, I'm hoping at least. One of the queens on twitter said that she's been dreading the premiere since filming, and now we've seen why.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Gelf posted:

Utica Queen is a Thorgy who thinks they're an Yvie Oddly.

I get way stronger Milk vibes from Utica's drag, if not her personality.

I didn't hate having all of them lipsync for the first episode, but having half of them believe they were going home was unnecessarily exploitative even for this show, and if they actually make them vote a queen off before doing a single challenge I might chuck this entire season in the dumpster out of principle.

Which is a shame, because I really like this cast. The only one that's still not doing a whole lot for me is Joey, and at least she seems nice.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I don't see any way the twist isn't undone. Even if it wasn't just incredibly lovely and something the audience would hate, it would cut their number of episodes for the season by five or six and I haven't heard anything about this being a shorter-than-usual season. Can't see Ru or the network walking away from a mountain of money like that.

e: Wikipedia actually says 16 episodes this season.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 3, 2021

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
I thought it was a clever way to split the queens into two smaller more manageable groups that would let the crew social distance more easily.

I’m choosing to believe the “guess I’m heading to the airport” confusion is mostly an act. If the 12 remaining queens all merge together by the end of episode 2, I’ll retroactively hate the premiere.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

My theory is the person the ‘eliminated’ queens vote for will end up being the captain for a team challenge. That seems on par with the fuckiness of this first episode.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nemo posted:

I thought it was a clever way to split the queens into two smaller more manageable groups that would let the crew social distance more easily.

This is basically what I'm thinking. It's likely that between the crew, cast, judges, and other assorted interns and producers, the number of people on the main stage specifically could very definitely exceed the Covid limitations, so they split them into 2 groups and are going to keep them separate until they're back under that number.
It still sucked though because it felt like I watched the same mini episode 6 times.
"I'm the first one here! hello other queen! Why is the siren going off? Why are we on the main stage [short interview] LIPSYNC....FOR YOUR LIFE [terrible pig squeal sound] I do NOT want to go home before i even have a chance to show everyone what i can do. Im devestated." and then the winner is whisked away to god knows where to wait out the next 9 hours before they're allowed to pretend to have a party in the work room.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dugong posted:

My theory is the person the ‘eliminated’ queens vote for will end up being the captain for a team challenge. That seems on par with the fuckiness of this first episode.

That's the theory I've seen floating around. That's the only thing that would be fair, but it still wouldn't rectify the bullshittery they pulled with episode 1.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Episode 1 is cool because we learned nothing at all about the cast. You might as well skip it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Not that anyone needs to be told but this format sucks. If it winds up being a filming numbers thing at least I can understand that tbh. The only actual good thing about it was we got to see everyone lip synch a little but by the end of the episode I was more burned out than I'd have liked

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

great OP, new thread new year new season, get into it

concur with this format coming off sociopathic though. It was actively unenjoyable to see seven people’s dreams get crushed from the jump. Maybe it is a numbers thing? Keeping the queens factioned to remain protocol-abiding for the crew until their numbers are winnowed a bit?

This is a strong crop of queens. I’d be hard-pressed to name who should go home first.

I wholeheartedly expected to dislike Tina Burner based on her colour scheme alone (both in drag and confessional!) but she owned that Lady Marmalade lipsync

my predilection towards asian queens is showing again, but I want Kahmora to make top 4. The nerve of dropping in an original Mackie

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Whew, finally watched that first episode and it was not fun. High hopes for episode 2, i suppose.

Still love Utica :colbert:

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah being model size and wearing dresses made by famous designers doesn't impress me greatly. It was a great dress. That's all I've got for her.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
It is, however, a great villain move to mention it on the main stage to RuPaul, and being so shady about it was pretty funny. Kinda reminds me of Willam's entrance. If Kahmala gives us more moments like that I'll be into it.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

drat, Ru became a monster ever since she got murdered by Dolly Parton. Watching the first ten minutes of this premiere gave me severe Running Man energy.

Although y'all are probably right about the season being weird/the "twists" being COVID-related but surely there was a better way to do it than do a Stanford Prison Experiment But Make It Fashion.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

A God drat Ghost posted:

It is, however, a great villain move to mention it on the main stage to RuPaul, and being so shady about it was pretty funny. Kinda reminds me of Willam's entrance. If Kahmala gives us more moments like that I'll be into it.

I know Ru is pretty much lib personified but god forbid Mrs. Harris ever Extra Special Guest Stars

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Belial42 posted:

As an Elliott with two T's, Elliott with Two T's is my spirit animal and I'll root for her no matter what. There are dozens of us!
Elliott with two Ts needs to get bold and go bigger or she won't be around long. I was watching her in the lipsync thinking "that's probably about what I would look like up there," and that is not good.

Joining the "that premiere was a sadistic shitshow" chorus. What a goddamned bummer, especially since everyone's so likable (so far).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

drat, COVID is really showing some queens' (silicone) asses 👀

Surprisingly, Farrah's shown real maturity and level-headedness

https://twitter.com/farrahrized/status/1345765641869950978
https://twitter.com/farrahrized/status/1345777765488889856.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Somehow AV Club decided the premiere was worthy of an A-, and found the twist refreshing.

https://tv.avclub.com/rupaul-s-drag-race-kicks-off-season-13-with-goops-and-g-1845977112

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
i cant stop thinking about "the lady said go home"

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pretty impressed with Symone's nerve and wit in how she subtly called Ru a crossdresser, especially with how jarring the experience of being in front of the judges so soon must've been.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

it seems to me that the point of this lovely format was to get people talking about the show, not to be entertaining

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Stroop There It Is posted:

it seems to me that the point of this lovely format was to get people talking about the show, not to be entertaining

I desperately hate the idea of 'all publicity is good publicity' and usually tediously drag down any conversation involving it on principle but tbh you're right

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
This just bummed me out. Really it just makes me salivate for the next season of Dragula.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

This just bummed me out. Really it just makes me salivate for the next season of Dragula.

Season 1 was too low budget for me. Do later seasons improve?

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 1 was too low budget for me. Do later seasons improve?

Yes much. Its such a positive show in a weird way.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Maybe "giving a chop to one of your fellow queens" doesn't necessarily mean those in the loading dock room itself. Maybe they get to vote based on performance of "winner circle" queens next week and boot one of them?

I could see them split the groups and then have each side judge the other for a few weeks before merging the remnants all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Stan Denali
https://twitter.com/denalifox/status/1346321181792751616?s=19