Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Belated commentary, perhaps, but I'm just now catching the Jinkx and Dela holiday special on Hulu. And...

I hate musical theatre, but this? This does not annoy me. It's not a chucklefest, but there's enough here to keep me watching. I'm enjoying it. I'm even enjoying the songs, and, I can't stress this enough, I hate musical theatre.

Verdict: Will force others to watch it next holiday season.

Good to know because I feel the same way but I really like Jinkx and Dela, so I'll watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I also love Utica Queen. Also I appreciate Tina Burner managing to fit a fisting joke into a lip sync.

That episode was terrible.

I mean Jesus christ it even had an air guitar win a lip sync.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah being model size and wearing dresses made by famous designers doesn't impress me greatly. It was a great dress. That's all I've got for her.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
It is, however, a great villain move to mention it on the main stage to RuPaul, and being so shady about it was pretty funny. Kinda reminds me of Willam's entrance. If Kahmala gives us more moments like that I'll be into it.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Nihonniboku posted:

Missi Pyle is already a pretty good drag name.

Tell that to Pissi Myles!

I liked everyone this episode but especially Olivia Lux. I have two mild fashion comments: while LaLa Ri looked amazing, I wanted an updo or something sleek bc the shape of her hair kinda got mixed up in all the ruffles and the silhouette lost some definition. Also I really wanted Kandy Muse's shorts to either be longer so they read as shorts or be cut up much higher on the sides bc it looked kinda like a shiny diaper.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I just watched it too and the elimination really was a travesty. I'm extremely bummed out.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I thought Tina Burner did better than Rosé in that and LaLa did worse than Denali. Also shout out to Utica's facial expressions and that hilarious look. Symone was wonderful, of course. I don't know why you wouldn't make the bottom of that dragon dress detachable at the waistband, you know you might have to lipsync, at least then she could move. Unfortunate. I ended up liking Kahmora more than I expected to.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah I don't think it's right to say she's not a drag queen at all. Drag Race requires a certain set of skills that not all drag queens have but it sure doesn't mean that defines what drag is and isn't.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Zombie Squared posted:

It's an incredibly low bar, but I think Rats was my favourite rusical of all time.

I think I agree. It's between Shade the Rusical and Rats for my favorite but they are maybe the only good ones, haha.

Ginny and Bimini deserved to be in the top. Bimini's runway was bad but honestly the runways were mostly a bit whelming this time and I think her performance was excellent, better than the non-Veronica tops.

Edit: Jesus what a boring lipsync. I like a slow emotional face journey but this was not it.

A God Damn Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 23, 2021

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Normy posted:

I think Kahmora may be dealing with some gay self hate considering the remarks about her boyfriend not liking drag and her reaction to Elliott's voice. Hopefully the boyfriend will be gone or be better in the future.

Yeah I think that's pretty insightful. I get not liking Kahmora's comment. I doubt she had the self awareness to realize the implications and just said it as a shady talking head moment.

Different topic, but I'm glad they took the "has anyone dated a woman" prompt to talk about Tamisha's kids instead of using it to be like "eww gross, pussy is nasty" and say a bunch of misogynistic things like often happens when that comes up.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I had a job interview today and the recruiter very smoothly slid in a "well what you wanna do isn't necessarily what you're gonna do" talking about the different team responsibilities at the company. I really wanted to comment but it was not the time. Made me happy though.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I need to like, absorb what just happened to me watching drag race UK. First of all, I knew no matter who was in the bottom, I was gonna be so sad to see someone go home and that was indeed the case. I seriously love all these queens so much.

Ginny Lemon. I know her outfit should have put her in the bottom 2, but I found myself praying they didn't put her there. Everything they said about dressing sexy and their feelings about their body and gender... I've never identified myself that way but maybe I need to think about it because everything they said, I was like, that's me, that's me, that's me. I know she deserved to be in the bottom 2 for her look alone but the bravery to take on that challenge, I don't know if I could do that. I'm so glad they kept her. I didn't really expect personal reflection from my like 18th season of watching a drag race franchise, at age 32 but I feel like I saw a version of myself on my TV right there.

I'm probably going to delete this post later because no one needs to hear this much of my own crap but whatever.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Thanks for the kindness to everyone replying to me here. Kinda personal for a random internet forums thread but I really needed to share that last night as it hit me.

In lighter news, I've been watching Tia Kofi describe her look on the main stage on repeat like a dozen times today, my god what a pizza queen. She's pure oval office even if she can't make a dress.
https://www.reddit.com/r/rupaulsdragrace/comments/l7gtal/we_love_a_selfaware_queen/

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah Utica definitely deserved the W but I really liked Gottmik's looks too so I can't be too upset about it. I was more annoyed that they put Tamisha in the bottom when she was better than half the safe queens. Symone's look that she made was really bad. The stripes on the miniskirt didn't even match up on the seam. Kandy Muse was not much better. Frankly I was not impressed at Tina Burner or Elliott for making an okay garment out of a beanbag skin which is essentially just a large piece of fabric, when you have these other queens taking apart handbags for their looks and turning out something far better. And the judges are up there reading Tamisha for her businesswoman realness look being too real and not drag enough, but if the category is called realness. I feel like their ball is more a high fashion runway since they are reading queens for being too draggy, campy, pageant, or giving realness.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Pinwiz11 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > RuPaul's Drag Race S13/UK2 - The judges seem vaguely amused by what is happening before them.

this one! It is evergreen, I love it.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Dance challenges are generally my least favorite. You really depend on the camera to get the story and a lot of the time it just feels like they can bend it whichever way they want. I say this halfway through the episode...

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Tina looked so good in that disco dance number. I wish she would burn her gimmick wigs though good Lord.

I really do not understand the criticism they have for Utica Queen. What. She's too big? Too camp, too drag? Is this not a drag show? Do they think this is RuPaul's Very Serious Runways and High Drama show? What are these critiques

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Phew, not what I was saying at all. All kinds of born-male queens rely on body, my opinion had nothing to do with the way Gottmik was born and built. I just want to see more.

Yeah I didn't think what you said was at all the same as what NBB said. Other than that they were both about the little black dress look.

My unpopular opinion is that I think Gottmik's LBD look was brilliant. I think the concept of a little black dress is that it's sexy and small and shows off your body, where your body and your sexiness is the feature and the dress is just about highlighting that. So to me, Gottmik's LBD was perfect for the assignment: a campy very drag take on it. I found most of the other looks not that exciting and just taking the prompt a bit too literally.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Nihonniboku posted:

The runway only matters if the runway was the challenge.

Tell that to the UK episode this week.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I have to say it because no one else has: Denali loves lamp.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I really hate these group dancing challenges and looks like we're getting another one next week on US drag race. Feels like we've gotten a LOT of singing/dancing challenges this year but maybe that's just my impression because I don't like them. The group choreography usually doesn't give the really good performers a chance to truly show off, it's unfun to watch someone stumbling and struggling with it, but honestly the camerawork tends to make it hard to judge anyway. I think they are generally unmemorable.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I truly think they just brought the same wig. It's a classic kid's hairstyle especially for Black kids, it's not like Kandy invented it. And we get tons of Marcel waves and other similar looking wigs. The rest of the outfit was quite unique. It's been a total of 2 similar looks, I think that's just coincidence.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Hug in a Can posted:

I think Olivia or Kandy said that Olivia let Kandy borrow the wig for the challenge?

That's false T according to Kandy: https://twitter.com/TheKandyMuse/status/1360420520198561797?s=20

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Bimini won the construct your look challenge imo.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
It's kind of crazy how much more I know about the UK queens than most of the US ones, despite the UK season doing traditional eliminations every episode. It has been pretty hard to get to know a lot of the S13 queens. I can't tell if it's the editing that's different or the queens wanting to avoid controversy.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Pinwiz11 posted:

A reminder: The 2021 Drag Queen of the Year Pageant Competition Award Contest Competition is this Sunday at 5 pm Eastern.

https://sessionslive.com/DQOY2021/tickets

Ugh, Sunday is going to be filled between that and AEW Revolution... :woop:

Hey thanks for sharing, I forgot about this but just got my ticket. I love Tenderoni and Lucy Stoole so much but I don't know the other queens, it should be fun.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Tito Soto did such a good performance in the DQOTY pageant Talent section. I will always think of him when I hear In the Air Tonight. Beautiful.

Tenderoni was so good too! I was so happy watching them. And they won! Drag kings really turning it out in these competitions, so exciting to see.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Poulpe posted:

a) The fans of this show are absolutely mental. Jesus christ stop harassing people on the internet.
b) She's doubling down?? :psyduck: I don't know if sticking to the "she screwed me" narrative is quite the right move here

I agree with you but also to Lawrence this isn't a "narrative" it's his memory of a real-life experience and his feelings about it. It's not good PR but I get why he wouldn't be able to immediately change his own feelings. It sucks so much that people are taking it so seriously and sending hate, jesus christ.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Read After Burning posted:

Is there any way to see Alaska's pagent after the fact? I don't mind paying for access and would love to tip the performers, I just wasn't able to catch the live stream yesterday. D:

We stan Tenderoni in this house.

Not sure but you should definitely watch Tito Soto's winning Talent submission:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKrV_fB3sh/?hl=en

This seriously gave me chills, it's so emotional and intense.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Tina should have been in the bottom. Denali shouldn't have had to lipsync in that gown, she got so royally hosed.

I honestly 100% agreed with everything Kandy said on the runway and as Ru said, really appreciated it not being "well I love her and live for her but based on this performance and the judges' commentary..." She was funny and real.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

czg posted:

Rewatching All Stars 3

why though... I'm memory holing that one.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Oh yeah, the cast was great. I just remember a lot of challenges where the performances were a bit weak and suspicious judging. Maybe it just felt like a weak season because I was comparing it to AS2.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I was rooting for Miss Boulash and expected her to win it, but Lawrence won me over as well. I really enjoyed his finale look.

And Tayce! Oh my God, she smashed it. What a performance. Her charisma in the talking heads and sense of humor make her a favorite of mine.

Seems fair to put Ellie in fourth, and I'm sure she will come back for an all stars season at some point. Seeing all the queens come back for the reunion was wonderful. This cast! Just an incredible cast and I'm so sad the season is over. One of my favorite seasons of drag race ever. I'll be rewatching this one for sure.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah that audio was so distracting!

On S13, I personally would have put Gottmik and Olivia in the bottom 2 with Kandy in the bottom but safe. Very questionable judging. Also how was Symone's fursuit "elevated" couture? Utica's needed some editing like someone else said in here, but at least had interesting ideas and made me laugh, and Tina's was a little flat but reasonably funny, a safe performance imo. Whereas Gottmik's and Olivia's failed to make much of an impression on me at all. Their looks were both really cool but not enough to save them from the bottom, imo.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

angerbeet posted:

Ru seemed to treat Tayce like she murdered her dog or something.

I know! I don't think Ru smiled once in that tic tac lunch with Tayce. I was offended last episode by the "we didn't think you'd be good but you were" lovely comments and I didn't agree with their assessment of Tayce's weaknesses in the judging this time either. She's got so much star power it's insane. She's so funny and confident and gorgeous, but she still feels warm and relatable like she doesn't take herself too seriously. Tayce is my beans on toast, love her.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I kinda lost the momentum of watching the main season when drag race UK ended. I think I'm going to do a binge to catch up right before the finale. These episodes sound rough though.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

alf_pogs posted:

huh the rupaul fanbase wiki has a slightly different list, including Silky, Eureka and Serena ChaCha

speculation abounds

ugh good lord no. I don't need a third season of Eureka for a good long while and I'm not interested in more Silky either, although I think with a different edit she could be alright. but Serena ChaCha?? what on earth.

What I really want is another dip in the cool waters of Darienne Lake!

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I don't mind them bringing queens back multiple times as long as they are bringing back other queens first who I haven't seen in longer. Like if they haven't been back since season 10 aired, sure why not. If they've been on my screen recently then... I don't know, let someone else back first.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Cee Moore, Skinny Legend. She's perfectly cromulent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I never got to DR Holland or Canada, and I think I'll probably skip Down Under for now as well. I'll create my own off season and check out these international franchises when I'm feeling more excited for the new drag race content. I really liked watching them live when I could go to the bar and experience it with the rest of the crowd, but when I'm watching on my couch I kinda prefer binging, like I feel like there's less focus on the questionable judging or production tomfoolery that way and I can relax and just enjoy the queens better that way. Not really sure why. Maybe it's just quarantine talking.