Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm really liking Utica. It's weird because she reminds me very strongly of Thorgy, who I found pretty irritating.

I also really liked Tamisha this episode. Seems like a lovely person, and delivers some really great classic looks. I have doubts about whether she'll be able to deliver on all of the fronts that a Drag Race contestant is supposed to compete on, though.

it absolutely owns that she's getting the proper platform and respect on a worldwide stage to show her stuff because good lord she deserves it in a massive way. She's contributed so drat much to the drag world and so few people even know about it!

She was Tandi Iman Dupree's drag mother! Like, holy gently caress! My eyes popped out of my head when I heard that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

You can just skip the exterminations ya know.

The show is incredible and shines a light on so many corners of drag and performers who give their lives to their art, and it’s so fun to watch. There are a couple of clunker episodes, but overall? Amazing.

And the film they made in quarantine was a TREAT.

eta: Tamisha oh my GOD. perfection.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 19, 2021

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

Denali has been making videos for each of the LSFYL songs from her episodes so far, this week's subject:

Chicago Drag Excellence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQi1AEsEb00

Featuring Kamorah, Dida, The Vixen, Lucy Stoole, Detox, Layla McQueen, Tender Oni, the IMHO girls, and so much more!

:allears:

Thank you so much for sharing this, it's so gorgeous!

Laila's current look, godDAMN

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Kandy needs to just shut the gently caress up.

I have no idea what the judges see in her; she's the epitome of "loudmouth filler queen".

Bummed Utica didn't take the win (seriously, sleeping bags?! I can't imagine working with those!), but Gottmik's middle look absolutely put her over the edge. The queen to watch, imo. Symone is rad, yet Gottmik has something indescribably perfect about her.

Tamisha is absolute perfection. Not her looks, so much, but her energy and wisdom are so, so necessary to keep on the show. I'm hoping they don't set up a dramatic lipsync between her and Kandy but it's definitely looking that way.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

bullshit.

...catching Untucked now and I’m so, so glad that production is giving her a proper goodbye, and fighting through everything she has is incredible.

Side note holy gently caress, competing with an ostomy bag and still absolutely killing it?! QUEEN.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 6, 2021

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

Ladies I am mad

Tamisha better return for All-Stars

Ru's goodbye to her guarantees it tbh

and GOOD.

(and Tamisha absolutely did better i the lip sync; give me controlled over desperate any day).

Kandy's run on DR peaked with her hitting the boombox "play" and "pause" button to bookend the first lipsync and that is that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Trailer reactions-

Elliott... oh no.
I can't recall a worse reading challenge, like, ever?

And Kandy, FFS, ya gotta put the glasses on! agh!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

When’s the last time we saw Ru go in on someone like that because :stare:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I know that people love to say that Violet was the "only option" so far as a winner goes with the top 3 but it drives me up the wall that people completely disregard that she killed the competition from start to finish and never had to lipsync. Ginger's push was undeserved because "big girl".

Kandy needs to gently caress right off, and we all know that. The producer's hand is kinda heavy on UK as well, but Lawrence is also deserving of every success she's ever had as well.

spite house posted:

Credit where it's due, Elliott turned the living gently caress out of that lipsync. I'd pay to see her, no lie.

:same:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat when I say this, but-

Black girls did their hair in those beads all the time when I was growing up, Just an adorable wardrobe staple to the max. Assuming Olivia copied Kandy's (poorly) done hair for a challenge where the entire theme is beads and Olivia's was based on that is absurd.

It's been said before, but Olivia is suffering from timing on these challenge, I can only imagine how hard she was bricking it when she saw Symone's boxer gig for the first challenge.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Hug in a Can posted:

I think Olivia or Kandy said that Olivia let Kandy borrow the wig for the challenge?

if so, Olivia did a hell of a job fixing that hair because Kandy looked a mess

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

resting mitch face posted:

Yes I grew up in the 80s too. Nobody said copied. Kandy’s bag look was shite but her hair was cute as gently caress and I was like holy poo poo. So it’s unfortunate that Olivia brought the same hair to be used a few episodes later. I’m glad she did decide to stick to the plan, however I believe any other queen would have been called out for not going with a backup after the 2nd coincidence.

I made the mistake of going to reddit last night because I was bored and there are a bunch of maniacs over there saying it so that's exciting.

a good reminder to neither touch nor even look at the poop.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

After watching the UK MtQs and two minutes into the first episode, I'm already in love with Cherry Valentine

Edit: and Tamera Boutros Boutros-Ghali

Edit 2: A'whora is a lot more likeable than I expected based on my prejudgments based on out of drag himbo pics (which also look nothing like her in confessionals)

I am so enamored with the entire drat cast and it is a delight. I'm trying to not compare it to S13 but like... it's just so much better. The queens don't "produce" themselves. Only real downside is Ru and Michelle not really getting UK humor and trying to judge things that are uniquely British/Scottish and making a face about a lot of stuff.

and idk why Kandy is getting the "big girl wins" edit when Lawrence Cheney is gonna legit earn it. I love her.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Raccoonboy posted:

The DRUK lockdown special is up on iplayer

"A never-before-seen look into the lockdown lives of the queens of RuPaul's Drag Race UK as they were sent home for a seven-month break in filming due to the Covid-19 pandemic."

Worth the watch for sure. Tayce’s prowess in the kitchen is something to marvel at.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Watching UK season 1 since I’ve got my free week with wowpresents and Baga nearly throwing her toys out of the pram because of the mere possibility she would have to lipsync was the most pathetic poo poo.

I somehow still don’t know who won so I’m excited but ffs, really hoping it ain’t her.

That said, and I know I’ve said it already, but my god the UK show is better in nearly every way, and it seems like Ru and Michelle are actually having fun which is wild to see.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

that is the most wasteful double shantay in history.

:same:

side note uh
I can't tell if the Russia bit was xenophobic or funny or what. I know drag is supposed to be subversive but it was oddly uncomfortable? otherwise I'm kinda shocked at how much I liked it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

The last "legitimate" double shantay was like, what, season 5?

Alyssa and Tati’s double shantay is iconic tyvm

Brooke and Yvie’s was great as well, but there are more than a few “...producers are fuckers” saves.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

notaspy posted:

This is simply amazing and, as you say, it is one of the greatest creations we have ever seen.

However, I am not a fan of the silver bits. Either there should be one, as a belt or bust, or there needs to be a bit more of a gap between them to make it more of a belt and bust.

the shape of her “mask” was a bit off for me, but otherwise I loved the look!

I wonder how many times she practiced that shoulder pop in the mirror to make sure it would have the maximum effect on the runway (and I hope we get a behind the scenes video of her doing so; staring at the mirror with an intensity matching Alyssa Edwards).

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

A reminder: The 2021 Drag Queen of the Year Pageant Competition Award Contest Competition is this Sunday at 5 pm Eastern.

https://sessionslive.com/DQOY2021/tickets

Ugh, Sunday is going to be filled between that and AEW Revolution... :woop:

tomorrow night: Butch Hypebeast v Native Beast
thurs night: Good Drag race
fri night: ...uh US drag race is on I guess?

honestly, the next few days are looking pretty rad

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

Friday - TJPW :woop:

YESSSSSSSS

Also, thread- a lot of wrestling is basically drag. it owns.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Throwing a shitfit over the lineup was the most ridiculous drat thing. no girl, you didn't listen to the coaching and dug your own fuckin' grave.

Tayce was so absolutely magnetic during that lipsync, every time the camera cut from her I got so drat fussy.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

OK this is the perfect encapsulation of Ru and Michelle just not understanding the UK whatsoever

https://twitter.com/dragraceukbbc/status/1367588158683025413?s=20

Vintersorg posted:

Well, well, well - RIGGAMORTIS strikes again.

A'whora on twitter:

Totally explains the “I can’t even loving look at you right now”

These loving producers.

I have no doubt in my mind that A'Whora named Ellie during that so her crying about it has me rolling my eyes a bit.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

in my head I'll forever equate panto to an English wrestling promotion called RIPTIDE because they did a show called "Combat Panto" which is the first time I even heard the word, but I'm glad that I got a bit more education on the art from this episode.

I'm yet again baffled that Ru is judging a UK competition while still having no fuckin' clue about anything from the UK istg

angerbeet posted:

Joe Black is such an amazing looking queen, she's just really really not a RPDR queen.

Joe is like, the ultimate example of "incredible artist who simply isn't made for the weird ecosystem of Drag Race", but I'm so glad that Joe's got a larger platform due to their time on the show.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDa9AH2X3-4

watching Gottmik absolutely die inside at 10:02 is making me cackle oh noooooo

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

...bullshit.

the wrong queen was sent home, and she got so turbofucked by her partner.

side note, Kandy not getting read by the judges for things other contestants woulda been RIPPED over is exhausting. I know I harp on her every episode but it sure would be nice to have a week where she wasn’t doin’ or sayin’ reckless poo poo!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

The worst part is she would've slayed that lip sync had she not been in a restrictive outfit that wasn't even hers.

ayuuuuuup

so unfair

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Possible future season casting spoilers, but not set in stone by any means

UK: Baga, Blue, Cheryl
NL: Envy, Janey
CAN: Jimbo, Lemon
US: Manila, Monique
Thai: Pangina (this seems unlikely since she's literally a host)

It's Reddit spoilers based on online activity so I don't doubt some of it will be wrong but they seem to be pretty good at obsessively stalking people online. I like the lineup, fictional or not.

...why would they bring back Manila and Monique again
also, boooo Baga, just boooooo

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Symone looked like a crossdressing Crash Bandicoot and it was PERFECTION.

can't help but chortle at Tina going home the one time she doesn't coat herself in those McDonald's-rear end colors, and my god how ego-crushing it must be to have your last look on the show be... that.

Does Kandy have some dirt on someone somewhere? why is she so strongly protected?! this is just... insanity at this point.

Gottmik, your looks are incredible every week, but please stop it with those gemstone pasties. This is what, the 4th time we've seen 'em?

Bummed Rose's incredible "Jan is PRESSED" robe didn't get called out. In general I really did dig this episode and I feel like I'm gettin' fussy about Kandy every week (because I am) but like, drat, just extremely over it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

luminalflux posted:

Carson acknowledged it like right as she came on the set?

well that's what I get for goin' hard on a new POG seltzer (brand is "Maui Hard Seltzer" in case anyone is curious, it owns oh man) I found at a local food cart, whoopsidoodle.
and GOOD, because that robe is a dang delight.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Personally, I was living for Utica's intense, somewhat creepy take on a ridiculous song. Tina took a more typical approach. And while I thought she started off strong, towards the end it felt kind of desperate and stunty. Utica was rather controlled the whole time.

I feel ya; I prefer a controlled, deliberate lipsync over a desperate one every day. Part of why I loved every one of Tayce's performances in the UK season.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

I won't be watching live tonight, I assume that we'll have a "You're all going to the Finale!" ending and the show formerly known as Joey Janella's Spring Break will be at the same time

RSP v Nick Gage is gonna be a bloodbath, and EFFY doing literally anything is a must-watch so I’m right there with ya.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

watched so much wrestling this weekend that I totally forgot about drag race and last night just texted a pal "hey, any eliminations? no? ok cool I'll skip it"

I normally love this show but Kandy's constant push and the fact that it's been going for like, 4 months has me pretty well over it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ru, no.
no.
what.

how the gently caress does racist poo poo get past the casting department?!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I’m watching “Pose” for the first time and it is incredible.

Can’t find a thread anywhere and can’t recall- has there been chat here about it? I’m halfway through season 2

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

It’s been really decent so far, but it’s been striking how loving mean Pray Tell is on the mic.

Absolutely enjoyed the Dorian Corey “tribute” of sorts. She lives on! though not in the way she would’ve expected, I would imagine.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

They didn't always include, but they often did. After the first couple episodes, they pretty much only cut out her talking heads and critique of her on the runway, unless she won. They also edited her comedy challenge to make it look like she did horribly, but its clear by the audience's reaction that she actually did a great job.

still bullshit that they didn't kick her off the stage for going WAY over her time. such disrespectful poo poo to do that to her castmates and everyone else involved.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I'd bet money that Ru fixed who got eliminated because she's so sick of having to holler every season that there is NO EXCUSE FOR NOT KNOWING HOW TO SEW BY NOW.

Especially for a queen who's already been on the show!!!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

when was this season filmed? I don’t have a drat bit of sympathy for the eliminated queen after they (spoiler bars in case people heard about this mess) went to Puerto Vallarta in January when the situation in LA (where she lives) was so bad that they were RATIONING OXYGEN and so many people were dying that ambulances weren’t even able to get to a hospital without being queued up for hours. One would think that would be a good loving indication that the pandemic should be taken seriously but nope.

When called out for that, she got REAL messy, saying poo poo like “if you want an apology, buy a cameo” and “I’m not responsible for covid, it’s the president’s fault, don’t be mad at me for this”

I feel like nearly every Rudemption was an incredible step up, and drat near everyone was solid during the acting challenges.

I wish Snatch Game was this episode though; it gives a great impression of where a queen actually is with creativity (and I love it, so.)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

I definitely won't excuse or forget this, but she was far from the only queen behaving badly. She just doesn't happen to have the good will of being fan fave for it to blow over. If anyone has ire over this, they better match that energy towards other irresponsible queens, or otherwise treat her with the same amount of apathy

I'm definitely not psyched on how the other queens I've heard about handled things, but Silky's flying off the handle, being wildly unapologetic, and tripling down on being a complete rear end in a top hat really put it over the top.

Enjoying this season so much more than I'd expected, and at this point I'm almost already at the "don't wanna see any of them go home, poo poo!" phase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ru's "your vulnerability made me uncomfortable"

get hosed.