Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Der-Wreck posted:

I just want to know how TF kandy was safe wearing nothing but a green body suit. That one still bugs me

that and olivia's tanktop / trackpants in the social media rusical have been hot topics in the alf pogs household

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

If they want a big girl to win so much, why don't they ever cast more than one per season?

they don't necessarily want a big girl to win, they just want to keep the fanbase happy and a big girl winning might help with that.

Pork Chop is the ultimate big girl winner. she's in nearly every season!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Poulpe posted:

Have you seen the cast list for All Stars 6? :shepface:

good lord. not sure how much more Eureka and Silky Nutmeg Ganache i can take.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

All Stars 6 rumored cast list:

Pandora Boxx
Sonique
Yara Sofia
Jiggly Caliente
Trinity K Bonet
Ginger Minj
Akeria C Davenport
Rajah Ohara
Scarlet Envy
Jan

huh the rupaul fanbase wiki has a slightly different list, including Silky, Eureka and Serena ChaCha

speculation abounds

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

I love the implication of "All Stars 1 didn't count" lol

i'm okay with it for Pandora Boxx, being paired up with Mimi Imfurst was a really rough hand to be dealt

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Heroes vs Villains. Cast only those who won Miss Congeniality up against the show's biggest villains. Valentina represents both.

combine the Heathers with Rolaskatox, Tyra Sanchez and Phi Phi for the villains team i guess

although Roxxxy did have quite a redemptive allstar season. i really loved her that year

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I get that, but I will never consider Raja and Manilla villains.

me neither really. they're two of my faves and the whole Heathers thing evaporated as quickly as it began

Naomi Smalls... now there's a true doomsday heel turn

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

buying a boat lol

"where you goin' bitch?"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Albany X Pression

been catching up on Drag Race UK S2 and have had SING SANG SONG in my head for about 72 hours straight

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

I think Denali should have been in the top instead of Kandy, but Kandy brought me one of my absolute favorite Untucked moments of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZuGBqkkejU

"If you have a leaf...and you turn it...it's the same leaf."

her flat-out wanting to buy a boat with her prize money was also very endearing. "gently caress drag! i want a boat!"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

90 minutes of very big Best Friend Race energy tbh

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Asia could've won 10 if a certain something didn't happen really

i assume you mean the butterflies and not getting face-slapped by ru

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

these Rose compilations make me very excited for her lipsynch segment in the finale

keen to have a BOP!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Jr. posted:

anyway finale was weird with randos in the crowd but Jaida On The Spot was nice and the winner was correct

Jaida was a definite finale highlight.

i'm down for an RPDR spinoff where queens dress up, take cars to the drive-in and talk poo poo over iconic queer films

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah it's pretty stacked with white.

also, i think it's been mentioned in the thread before, but contestant Scarlet Adams has a pretty gross history with cultural appropriation.

she managed to do a really loving insane blackface outfit (on australia day, known to australian indigenous peoples as 'invasion day'), but that's the tip of the iceberg. not that people don't make mistakes, or can't change or grow, but there's more than enough red flags to make me think: why couldn't they just find someone better?

here's a lot of photos, warning that they're pretty gross and insensitive: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMTRQP5h9lI/

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 28, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zombie Squared posted:

ANZAC day is the military memorial holiday, Invasion Day is Australia Day (4th of July-esque national holiday on the 26th of January) because that's the date of the arrival of the first colony fleet from Britain. Judging from the outfit I'd say it was worn on the latter, which is pretty yikes.

sorry, you're right. was all confused because anzac day has just been and gone

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's preeeeeetty demoralising to have this be apparently the best representation of aus drag that the producers could find. sure hope someone from casting is lambasted over this.

apparently racism is going to be addressed explicitly in an episode of the show; frankly i'm even more nervous to watch it knowing that a room full of mostly whitefellas is going to be talkin' race. not to say it isn't a sadly accurate representation of us. i remember about a decade ago when Harry Connick Jr was on Hey Hey It's Saturday (a "popular" aussie variety show) and some awful minstrel blackface act came on. he was appalled, made them apologise on-air. newspapers had a field day with it, and channel 9 framed it as "oh it's an american issue" when it's pretty loving horrific regardless of your nation.

so uh yeah. don't blame people for not wanting to watch this one.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 29, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hearing ru say "piece of piss" gave me more joy than I expected

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shoehead posted:

Does Ru's people just not vet for weird poo poo?

the casting seems all over the place. as well as the easy-to-find problematic stuff, i thought it was odd that we got three queens who work directly in the same venue? like surely they could have cast that net a lil wider.

that said i don't know how small the drag scene is in NZ, and i honestly don't mind if there's a pre-existing rivalry for drama's sake, but all three of NZ's competitors knowing one another well seems wild

Andrew_1985 posted:

Ru not getting dressed for the panel was disappointing.

apparently this was an accidental one off and is rectified for the rest of the season.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i liked the Queens in the canada competition but that judging panel.... yikes

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I'm glad of the result simply because it gave us the episodes best moment: That means nothing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tamisha sort of did a speedrun "see how much fanbase goodwill i can burn". but it's hard to find history of because so much of it happens in livechats and zooms and whatever the gently caress else.

so her new Tamisha Iman show was - subscribe or pay up front, and you get an email invite to the session. people got invites, but ended up being redirected to a secondary paywall by mistake. so it asked them to pay again. once this was resolved, people joined the session - which started 4.5 hours late and contained nothing that was promised. she also promised to hunt down fans sharing content from her channel or streams and fine them $one thousand doolahs!$

then sometime in the next 48 hours she put the whole thing up publicly (but unlisted) on her youtube channel, pissing off the people who had dropped money on her show (ie, the people that like her most).

also apparently a bunch of people ordered shoes from Tamisha, still haven't received them like three months later, and have been told "no refunds!" the subsequent post was "if you don't like me, you can chuck my merch in the trash when you get it."

ultimately i think it's a combination of Tamisha being way too online, not really being prepared to feel the restraining arm of WoW and not having a manager sensible enough to say "uh maybe don't post that" or run their web services for them.

(the monet x change / bob thing is weird; tamisha took offence that monet basically dunked on her a bit in the Sibling Rivalry podcast. Monet sort of did dunk on her, but obviously it was inbetween all sorts of nice stuff. it wasn't out of the ordinary for any drag podcast, let alone two cheeky characters like bob and monet. but this prompted everyone's favorite level-headed diplomat The Vixen to weigh in with the scorching hot take that "Monet X Change has made a living tearing down black people" or something like that. it got really personal and mean-spirited but Bob sort of levelled it all out.)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Bushido Brown posted:

The standstill -> 360 spin into a split caused to me shout "what the gently caress" at my TV.

it got a room full of gasps in the pogs household. i was surprised it didn't get the BOOOM sound effect, it was one of the 'biggest' looking moves i've seen someone do.

now that we've got a rogue's gallery of white queens remaining i'm dreading the rest of the season, especially if there is the "very special episode" about racism. scarlett's edit makes me think she's going far as well and unless there's a shockingly frank discussion about some of the stuff she's done, i'm worried it's all going to feel pretty insincere.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey arts back for no reason sorry about that! where's coco and zozo, oh I guess they actually deserved to go for real?

ms visage's "loving auntie" persona has hit the age where she tries to coin the word "glamdiculous"

also Karen seemed to have a polished and planned lip synch routine, but her "office workplace PowerPoint presentation" moves felt very corporate office , so maybe like watching PrepareBot 3000 grimly destroying a competitor.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

anita: "is it too soon to talk about all stars?"
rupaul: "extended cackling, eyes morph into dollar signs"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

weird mix! I'm excited for Trinity and Sonique and a few others but mostly I just hope it's not another season of "trying to make Eureka happen"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

okay so DRDU has probably turned me off the franchise for a good while I think.

this was the "reconciliation week" episode of drag race for Australians - the tail-end of a week in memorial of the atrocities inflicted on first nations peoples. the convo and apology felt self-serving, the subsequent untucked conversation was edited out completely, and Ru had more of an issue with cancel culture than blackface. left a pretty sour taste.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 29, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I just started watching the episode. I have no clue what yeast spread is. To me it is what goes into bread, wine or something you want to get rid of from a vagina. Edit: okay they all seem to be going for the yeasty vagina

it's all a reference to vegemite! aka post-ww1 beer byproduct foodstuffs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegemite

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

after opting-out of DRDU, i've come back for the palate cleanser of AS6 and those first two episodes were really fun. it's good to have something where there's already some queens you root for, some wildcards and some that you're sort of grimly hoping redeem themselves or get early boots. Ra'jah and Scarlet were two of my faves in S11 so i'm super happy they're both back and doing relatively well. Ra'jah in particular seems to have her eye on the prize - though if the queens start voting strategically i'd be a bit worried for her.

also that second episode lipsynch was a TREAT!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Silky really doing just a great job of shedding her reputation for drama and bullshit in these follow up interviews

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

AS6 is still great fun! hooray!

i'm happy for Jan but TKB deserved the win this week. it was robbery! she just blasted everyone else off the stage performance-wise. so high-octane even doing something as mundane as shoulder bumps, just pure presence from start to finish.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

uh, did the people ever actually heard of a katy perry song

was this the Sissy That Walk "adaptation"? it was bad news. like left shark wrote it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Have any of the eliminated queens said what performers they had chosen?

i remember reading that serena cha cha was gonna do J-Lo but can't find a good source

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ginger's runway this episode was the cutest she's ever looked. giving me enormous Villager from Animal Crossing life and i adored it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the challenge this episode.... oh dear

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

jans golf clap at the end of her moment made the brutal cringing worthwhile

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'm okay with the All Star brand being basically used as 'comeback specials' for queens that wanna take another swing at it. i agree that this cast and season has succeeded mostly because there weren't very clear front-runners; they're just a gaggle of some of the more entertaining queens that make good tv.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my sadness at jan's departure is alleviated by her absolute 'give-no-fucks smile-and-eat-a-bowl-of-poo poo' energy to ru's critique that her performance felt soulless

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 30, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

I think I've figured out my issue with this season. I've been happy to see some previously lackluster queens really try and bring it given their reputation from past seasons, and some of them are doing great! But we're also down to the final 5 and I'm still not really rooting for anyone.

i'm definitely all aboard the TKB train. she has won me over completely

also Ra'jah was an absolute delight in this snatch game, giving these enormous wide eyes and be completely sincere was very very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pandorah Boxx's finest moment all season, she looked absolutely stun