Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Somehow Jimbo hasn't entered my mind in the last couple of months, and I'm saddened by this revelation, and my life feels even more empty than it already is.

Jimbo is one of the most original queens to ever appear across all seasons and franchises. I think had Jimbo taken the show a little more seriously, and listened to critique without being so defensive, she could have easily taken the crown.

Jimbo for All Stars 7. Given that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel with Drag Race USA for All-Stars, it's time to bring in some of our international queens for a shot at the crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Is there a way to embed a twitter post without including the post up the thread? I was working on the MTQ for UK but because their twitter put it in a giant thread I'm getting the previous queen's post showing up.

They're all on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5_aL2KWCPA

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
That was a cruel episode that left a really bad taste in my mouth. And I don't think that they even made the right choices with who was "porkchopped."

gently caress RuPaul and gently caress this show. Jesus christ what a terrible way to start 2021.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

hotdog feet posted:

I haven't read any of the thread and i haven't had a chance to watch the new episode but I just want to blindly post my love and support for Utica Queen.

I have no idea who that is because we spent less than five minutes with each queen and didn't get to know a single loving one of them.

Has there been any show that went from such high heights to absolute pure poo poo as quickly as Drag Race did with this episode?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blizzardvizard posted:

Sounds like I should just skip this ep and start from the next one

I think that's a good idea. I suspect there will be a twist to the twist, and the end result will be much less horrible. Or, I'm hoping at least. One of the queens on twitter said that she's been dreading the premiere since filming, and now we've seen why.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dugong posted:

My theory is the person the ‘eliminated’ queens vote for will end up being the captain for a team challenge. That seems on par with the fuckiness of this first episode.

That's the theory I've seen floating around. That's the only thing that would be fair, but it still wouldn't rectify the bullshittery they pulled with episode 1.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Somehow AV Club decided the premiere was worthy of an A-, and found the twist refreshing.

https://tv.avclub.com/rupaul-s-drag-race-kicks-off-season-13-with-goops-and-g-1845977112

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

This just bummed me out. Really it just makes me salivate for the next season of Dragula.

Season 1 was too low budget for me. Do later seasons improve?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

pmchem posted:

What are all the legal ways to stream the current season of drag race in the US?

Trying to track this down for my wife. We both watch it but cut cable since last season.

Legal? Likely subscribe to a cheap streaming cable service like Sling, or purchase a season pass, and you can watch the episodes the following morning.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

The first three minutes of ep 2 are up: https://youtu.be/98A8oy5fj5U

Is it horrible?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ok, maybe I was overreacting last week. Gimmicky twist, but less horrible than it seemed at first.

Edit: I was wondering why they were all wearing matching thongs that seemed to ride up so high. Then I realized that it's their mic packs.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 9, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Agreeing with everyone that Olivia is super sweet. I'm not quite feeling the Symone love yet. Her first outfit in the runway challenge was great, but the second was definitely not. I spent the whole episode waiting for Kandy to blow up on Elliot, but she seemed to be able to reel herself in. I wonder if her temper will get the best of her at some point this season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Gelf posted:

I still can't quite decide if Elliott's snipes at Kandy and Nina Tina were well orchestrated attacks on obvious sore spots to rattle nerves, or just the observations of someone with no filter at all and no malicious intent.

I think that's precisely what Kandy was trying to figure out, if she should go off or not.

Missi Pyle is already a pretty good drag name.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

Bummer about the first queen out, as I did want to see more of them. They lost the LSFYL fair and square though

Yeah, once I realized that they were in the bottom, I realized that they had gotten a lot of screen time in the episode, and therefore they were probably the first boot.

Which, I actually wanted to see more from her. But for a seasoned performer, I don't know what she was doing with that lip sync, as entertaining as it was.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dugong posted:

I think Sister Sister should have been in the bottom but there’s no doubt that the right person won the lip sync, especially in that outfit.

Agreed. Her runway was a loving mess.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I desperately love how few fucks Rose gives about how she looks out of drag lmao. She's not even wearing stage makeup in the workroom

Do queens usually wear stage makeup when they're not in drag on the show?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Do we want Dame Edna to guest judge?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizuZero posted:

I love DRUKS2 so far because all of the queens are such big personalities, can all perform the house down, can all banter, and all have delightful accents.

Yeah, this is definitely a talented group of queens. While I enjoyed season 1, one major problem with season 1 was that there were 2 or 3 frontrunners from the very first episode, and the rest of the cast often felt like amateur hour. Season 2, while there are no obvious frontrunners to me, it seems like a much stronger bunch overall, and each week I've been surprised by who was sent home.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zombie Squared posted:

It's an incredibly low bar, but I think Rats was my favourite rusical of all time.

I think it helped that they were parodying both Ru songs and Andrew Lloyd Weber songs, instead of having Lucian Piane make up crap in 30 seconds to be put on stage.

Off topic, but Paul F. Thompkins has a hilarious Andrew Lloyd Weber impression that he frequently does on Comedy Bang Bang. Here's a clip from episode 215, Time Bobby 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovTWp4ewpAo

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I kind of like that it took 4 episodes to send the first queen home?

Like, what a turn. I've really come around on this season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hug in a Can posted:

chicago girls continually get shafted on this show and the whole community knows it and we make jokes about it but it’s frustrating that we don’t get to show how glorious our community is on TV, and that’s why this exchange is so real

I love Chicago. Why do you think the queens get shafted?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nemo posted:

This acting challenge was fine. It was written about as well as a Hallmark movie, at least. I think the repetition made all of them funnier than any one of them would have been alone.

Eliott sure is lucky the Porkchop queens didn't notice the camera crew pointing to that conspicuous modesty screen for reaction shots while they were shading her!

It's like on Survivor when the camera is pointed right at hidden immunity idols mere feet from contestants searching for them.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
God drat, DRUK2 is just such a talented group of queens. I've been sad about every single elimination so far, but I also didn't want the competing queen to go home either. Also, I'm floored by how well Veronica has been doing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jakabite posted:

Can’t believe Asstina went. Really thought she was a guaranteed top three, and wouldn’t have been surprised to see a double shantay. Very happy Tia stayed though, she had me from ‘and former United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan’

And Tia, as in Tia Mowry from the 90s sitcom Sister Sister. In a season with a queen named Sister Sister, based on the 90s sitcom Sister Sister.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I too have such a crush on Joey Jay. I get butterflies in my stomach every time he's on screen this season. Not the best drag aesthetic, but I don't need to date the winner of the season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

Basic nerdy white boys are my type too.

lol, it's definitely a thing. I'll sometimes have a crush (is that still a thing in your 30s? It's definitely not a thing during quarantine), and my friends will finally get a look at him, and they'll be like, "Wait, that's who you're so head over heels for?"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Noise Machine posted:

alright Kandy that was pretty good

Yeah, this might be her challenge depending on how good her third look is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I think I really like Rose. She seems super chill

Edit: Did Lala Ri hot glue the bags to her nipples???

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 30, 2021

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I may have just been too deep into my wine, but I was wondering why they kept cutting to Kandy's shocked face. Was there some workroom interaction that I missed?

Not much interaction, just the one confessional where Kandy talked about having a big crush on Joey.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm actually surprised that's the first time that's happened.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

beepsandboops posted:

Tina's red and yellow McDonald's shtick is driving me up the wall and I'm shocked that the judges aren't reading her more for it! Didn't Michelle warn her on the first week?

Speaking of Tina Burner, apparently she had a whirlwind romance with Graham Norton that left Graham heartbroken.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I thought Tamisha did better in the lip sync.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

Tina looked so good in that disco dance number. I wish she would burn her gimmick wigs though good Lord.

I really do not understand the criticism they have for Utica Queen. What. She's too big? Too camp, too drag? Is this not a drag show? Do they think this is RuPaul's Very Serious Runways and High Drama show? What are these critiques

I think that it's just that she's not one of their intended winners, so they're just grasping at straws to keep her down.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shneak posted:

Also Veronica Green is totally winning the next series right?

Devastated by that reveal

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousTerminal posted:

They want a big queen to win so loving badly. This has been the case literally every season since 7, where a big queen is fasttracked to the top 3 whether she deserves it or not.

Ginger arguably deserved it and the edit shows they wanted her to win, but Untucked killed it for her because she was nasty and it's a popularity contest now.
Kim was a fantastic look queen but couldn't act, dance, sing, or walk in heels. (i will never complain that i got to see kim in every episode but she probably shouldnt have been in top 3)
Eureka got injured in 9, came back in 10, and got such a heavyhanded series of producer saves that even the drat finale had her tie a lipsync she clearly lost by a mile.
Silky was kind of a combo of all of these issues. Unpleasant, and kinda poo poo at the lipsyncs, but made it to the top 4 regardless.
Sherry Pie would have been top 4, but was outed as a sex creep and subsequently erased from the show entirely.

Kandy is the latest in this line of unpleasant big queens getting preferential treatment and an easy ride to the top because Drag Race hasn't had a winner with a 3 digit weight that starts in any number higher than 1, and they so very much don't want to keep appearing fatphobic. Gottmik is probably going to get softer judging simply because they're trying to "LOOK OVER THERE" the transphobia of the last 12 years, same as Kandy and her easy ride. Plus Kandy (and silky) is great for drama so they'd keep her around anyway.

I agree, but I don't think that really started until season 9 or 10 with Eureka.

Season 7, Ru so desperately wanted to crown Kennedy, sending home several queens who performed better than Kennedy during the challenges, but not even putting Kennedy in the bottom. Ginger only became the choice after Kennedy was sent home, and they realized that they hosed themselves by already sending home the only likeable queen, Katya. But then Ginger was reviled by the internet, so they had to choose between Violet and Pearl, and Ru hates Pearl, so Violet was the only choice to take the crown.

And season 8, that was Bob's season no matter who was there. Kim's faults were obvious from episode 1, but she earned her way to that top 3.

Eureka and Silky were clearly dragged to the end by Ru and the producers. Based on what we did see of Sherry Pie, she actually did a stellar job, the judges and other queens loved her, and even the standup comedy challenge where they tried to edit it to make it look like she did a bad job, the audience and judges were still clearly laughing their asses off. So it very much seems like she could have earned herself the crown, but of course turns out she's a predator.

Anyway, the Gottmik, Olivia and Utica sketch, it didn't matter who got the mother role, because they were hosed no matter what. The entire sketch runs, and the mother only comes on stage in the last 30 seconds. Utica had no choice but to try and go completely over the top, it was actually absurd that they were upset with her that she didn't give them more opportunities to speak, it was her only time on stage! It's completely Gottmik's fault that she was completely outshone by Olivia though, Gottmik was on stage even longer than Olivia!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Shneak posted:

Untucked this season is basically a Kandy Muse podcast. She. does. not. stop. talking.

Untucked last night was definitely boring. I ended up turning it off 10 minutes till the end.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Speed Crazy posted:

I think the only laugh this episode got out of me was when Tina did the reveal from those ugly pants to an equally ugly mini-skirt.

I can't make heads or tails out of the judging this season. And I know they've been moving this way for a long time, but it seems especially obvious that the runway looks don't factor into their decisions at all.

The runway only matters if the runway was the challenge.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

It was magical

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

Man, this sucks. Ru has her favorites and wants to catapult them to the top if need be, but obviously, it's not the same for the public if most of us on the forums can't stand Kandy. It would have been such a deserved sashay away too...

Unfortunately, by dragging undeserving favorites to the end, it just ends up drawing animosity and hostility amongst the fan base. I didn't like Silky, but I felt so bad for her at the reunion when you could see just how dejected she looked on stage, knowing that the fans hated her and she didn't stand a chance as a result. Let queens go home when it's time for them to come home. They can go home, hone their craft, work on aspects of their personality that people don't like, and maybe come back new and improved in All-Stars if Ru loves them so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

It's kind of crazy how much more I know about the UK queens than most of the US ones, despite the UK season doing traditional eliminations every episode. It has been pretty hard to get to know a lot of the S13 queens. I can't tell if it's the editing that's different or the queens wanting to avoid controversy.

To be honest, I keep forgetting regular Drag Race is on Fridays because I get in the mind set, okay, Drag Race was Thursday, we're good for the week. Then I go into it, wait, who is this again? Oh right. Who am I rooting for? Veronica? No, she was UK.