Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you were thinking of joining or returning, there's no better time than now. After six months of fighting against near-impossible odds, we've actually started to drive them back. There is pvp to be had literally everywhere, but you can contribute in other ways as well.

Post in the EVE thread and we can help you get set up, deep pockets in GW

MrQwerty posted:

I loved living in Angel space with RA, the Delta Squadron glory days of Q4C.

I quit playing a few months after Karttoon megalol'ed all over the place, I felt like it was a good ending to my time with that story.

Delta Sqad is still around, and they're busy harassing the enemy in space that was allegedly conquered by the latter months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GetDunked posted:

I for one appreciate the hard work our spaceship goons put into defending us from our cyber enemies. Support our troops as they say

thank you are

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sincx posted:

hahaha war bonds for imaginary video game space ships

Their war bonds will be a joke, our war bonds are real and extremely successful

I bought three shares and am awaiting my monthly dividend

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GSF is better organized than most real-life microstates

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Another decisive goon victory tonight

Come join us in our holy jihad against the invaders:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866278&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Fur20 posted:

well, don't spare any details i'm having a hard time figuring out what went on from that thread

I was being deliberately vague since I only started playing a few months ago so I don't know all the mechanics in detail myself, but I'll do my best.

Basically, there are currently two structures related to formal control over individual solar systems (which are grouped together in constellations): Territorial Claim Units and Infrastructure Hubs. Both require a fair amount of time and money to set up and maintain. TCU's are mostly symbolic, denoting who 'owns' the system, but IHubs have many practical effects, involving things like mining efficiency and the ability to transport huge fleets across large distances, making them strategically important, especially since keepstars (the highest-level docking stations and therefore closely related to practical control) require a huge number of pilots to set up or take out. During their first push into Delve (which is our main region), PAPI had managed to destroy most of our structures, replacing them with their own, effectively pushing us back into a handful of extremely well-defended systems at the heart of Delve (even though pvp and operations went on across the region and beyond, since that core territory with its resources and infrastructure had remained intact, allowing us to keep up the fight).

Structures are contested in two stages. First, enemy hackers have to 'reinforce' the structure itself within a specific window of time, which sets another timer that ends about two days later. When said timer ends, a number of command nodes start spawning across the constellation of the system that the structure is in. Offensive and defensive hackers engage in a contest to hack these (with defensive hacks taking a shorter time), and when offense gets it to 0%, the structure is destroyed and they can place their own structure in its place. The contest that we're talking about here involved an enemy IHub in D-W, a strategically important system. We got slightly over 1,000 pilots together (the vast majority in roaming combat fleets protecting or attacking hackers), while the enemy had 300 more. Since there were such large numbers in the constellation, all performing actions, the servers started locally implementing TiDi (Time Dilation). This is a mechanism that basically slows down time, so the servers don't crash under the heavy load. For most of the battle, the majority of systems in the constellation were at 10% tidi (so 10% of normal speed). The battle raged for hours, first we got the IHub down to 11% (it starts at 60% defensive control), but then defensive hackers popped a number of nodes in or near their staging system, bringing it back to about 52%. We rallied, and those that got blown up tried to reship as quickly as possible. We eventually got it down, despite being outnumbered, despite massive tidi, and despite it being an offensive hack.

TL;DR: we won a massive engagement against the combined enemy force despite literally everything being stacked against us. While we won the strategic objective, the symbolic value was even more important. Not only does our spirit remain unbroken after 6+ months of continuous fighting, we have actually started to push them back in some sort of Regoonquista.

If your eyes didn't glaze over after the third sentence of this post, congratulations, you are exactly the kind of nerd we need, hop in and let us shower you in isk:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866278

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 8, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Locator posted:

There really needs to be a thread where just 'goonfleet news' is posted for people who are kind of interesting in watching the big picture of Eve, but don't have enough time or smarts to keep up with the main thread and try to decipher what all the poo poo being talked about means.

Even though I haven't played in years, I find the 'war news' reasonably interesting, but no way am I going to keep up with the main thread.

I think this is that thread, basically.

I sympathize with people who have difficulty following events in EVE, when I first signed up it felt like veterans were speaking a different language altogether.

e: oh, and The Imperium has its own news service, that might be exactly what you want:

https://imperium.news/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Otacon posted:

EVE Online came out in 2003, so even worse!

Just kidding, there's tons of people in Goonswarm to hold your hand and give you the ins and outs. There's a LOT to learn, but in small enough doses it's manageable and can be quite fun. Even on Day 1.

I won't lie, if you're jumping in with 0 experience, it's pretty daunting and it requires a large initial investment...but that's also what makes it so rewarding for me personally. Everything is persistent, everything you do can matter, and you can become really powerful by working towards a long-term goal.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Otacon posted:

Daunting yes, especially if you are deciding to start playing an 18 year old MMO without knowing any current players and trying to learn as you go. It's significantly less so when you have a friend or two to join, and comparably easy when you have 1,000 goons with millions of hours of combined knowledge to tell you what to do to get the most immediate enjoyment out of it.

Plus we've got a wiki and it has (in some cases) 15 years of archival content including history, drama, and in-game help.

Also we're rich and we buy off new goon players to make you rich, too.

Yeah. Over the months I've received billions and billions from generous goons, without that I would never have gotten this far.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Snowy posted:

Are there any good goon approved guides for new players so I don’t have to start out with a million dumb questions that have already been asked an annoying amount of times?

I’d only really want to learn the basics so I can help the cause a little here and there, nothing much.

No idea, but any questions you ask will be answered in jabber, or in a specific in-game channel we have for that.

You will also be showered in isk if you play up the cute newbee :shobon: angle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You could do a lot with that, but the most important thing is the number of active pilots who know what they're doing, and no amount of money can buy that

That is why papi can't beat us, and why we're trying to recruit you nerds (so that you can eventually blossom into multiboxing ultra nerds with a fleet of alts)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jeffrey the Goonaissance you've launched has inspired me to start playing EVE

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You guys better fuckin' win though. Represent us well. I support our troops.

I volunteered as a goonationalist. Every day I laugh maniacally as we overcome impossible odds through sheer camaraderie and skill.

Join now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

And if you mean the war in general, that will probably go on for several more months at least

Some of the individual enemy alliances are getting pushed out of our space now, as we identify the weakest link and smash them. They're such a huge and unwieldy coalition that they have serious coordination problems.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Otacon posted:

Yes and goons are very good at sitting around indefinitely

lol

voted 5

Goonswarm needs YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The good news is we are one of those alliances

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ben Smash posted:

No it's way worse. It's like 4chan in voice some days. I got out in 2016 and I can only imagine what the trump years have done to the culture.

I haven't heard anything like that in the few months that I've been in goonswarm.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The damage cap is pretty low, you can hit it reliably with not a big fleet

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now's a great time to come back. We're writing (video game nerd) history, and with just slightly bigger numbers I'm pretty sure we could properly counter-invade TEST space and basically destroy them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Galewolf posted:

How many times now Test got destroyed/failcascaded since their forming? I mean, they were destroyed way before I joined Goonfleet in 2011 and remember at least two times they got btfo-ed by different parties.

Is the Brave Newbies still truckin around? They were the :shobon:-est of all corps.

TEST is still intact for now, but we're hoping to change that eventually.

Brave is still around, including their newbie corp, and they're still :shobon:. We're currently evicting them from Querious.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sammus posted:

The absolute worst thing you can do if you want goons to quit the game you play is to declare war on them.

:yes:

They wanted us to enter a failscade but it's turned into a successcade, with goons re-emerging from nooks and crannies and crevices and holes to join the fight

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

jre posted:

Is the enemy fleet still trapped logged off ?

Yes. They did manage to get 4 titans out and treated it like a major victory

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 23, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I forgot to add 'out', yeah 4 of their titans that were in a weird location escaped

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Join goonswarm, get revenge

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goonswarm would be the alliance level (GSF + a few other alliances = The Imperium), while Goonfleet (= GoonWaffe) is one of the corporations that make up said alliance.

Goonsquad doesn't really exist, however, there are squads that operate within and across corps, usually active in a certain region and based on a certain philosophy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

any large gathering of goons is a Goonsquad

Even a gathering of a single goon is large

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Any fight in Delve is billion vs. billion no matter how small you intended the gangs to be

In Querious, it ranges from a couple of guys to dozens vs. dozens

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You may

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

pnumoman posted:

Well, at least I can finally forget this game exists at all when the goon presence finally disappears. Farewell EVE, you were the game with the most interesting drama I never played.

They've spent the last 11 months trying to exterminate us and I don't see them succeeding anytime soon

Join now,

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

PinheadSlim posted:

Now that everything seems nice and hopeless I'm half tempted to throw my hat in with goons and fly space ships

Space insurgency when?

Join now. There are fights to be had around the clock, and if they ever find their balls and attack 1DQ it'll be the biggest battle in EVE history.

To people asking where we're going: nowhere, 1DQ is still snug and comfortable

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Well if nothing else goons are spiteful enough to make sure that taking 1DQ is as painful and horrible as possible for everyone else and isn't that really what this is all about? With spite all things are possible #godbless

I am motivated partly by spite, and partly by the glory implied in holding out against the entire rest of nullsec. Great siege atmosphere.

You too can be a part of it, become a newbee tackler or painter as goons shower you in isk, and experience the exhilaration of fighting massive fleet battles at 10% of normal speed

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guildenstern Mother posted:

What's a painter?

As said by Rutibex, target painter. You're flying a support ship 'painting' enemy ships, increasing their signature radius, making them easier to lock and making them more vulnerable to certain types of projectile. It's pretty important to have at least a few of these in almost any sizeable fleet.

You could be doing this right now as you wait several months to be able to fly the other doctrine ships! Join Goonswarm now! Become immortalized as one of the 10,000 pilots attempting to shoot each other at 10% TiDi in 1DQ during the biggest battle in MMO history!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you struggle to communicate with others, that's not a problem, EVE is actually a haven for the mentally ill

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Smugworth posted:

I think I'm just gonna go play angry birds but thanks for the offer

Why play Angry Birds when you can play Angry Nerds

e: created by our own Solus

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 13, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

papi trying to establish a foothold in our home constellation, it's not going too well for them:

https://br.evetools.org/br/609e832802aa24001a1fc597

Join now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard you beautiful bastards in USTZ had another great bombing run, link the BR please

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

INIT is real, and strong, and they're my friends

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goons have the support of Kenny G, another reason you should join:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSg4QeoXS2A

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

There's 3 things I really wanted to do in EVE over the years I played.

1) Fly a carrier - noobie aspiration - never got to do it.
2) Fly a disco-rokh into a gatecamp - never got to do it.
3) participate in a successful bombing run - great fun

If you're into bombing runs you would love the current stage of the war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

There's been a redemption arc, we're actually the good guys now, fighting to keep the game from being basically destroyed by the gigantic blue donut looking to 'exterminate' anyone who doesn't conform to their vision of the game (static, eternally blue feudal empires full of vassals/botters)