Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applebees Appetizer posted:

True, but coax is more rigid and is easier to get down walls without fishing tools and whatnot.

This x11 billion. Unless you use the coax to run the cat6 :laffo:

One of my first jobs in high school was replacing 10BaseT cables with Cat5 in a warehouses. I would go in wearing a white T shirt and jeans and come home soot black. Lots of OSHA violations were had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm coming up on 10 months working from home. It's been net-positive for me overall. I miss seeing my coworkers and it's been significantly more difficult to stay active. I'm eating better. My stress levels have been significantly down and I'm seeing a significant increase in productivity. There have been times I've missed my hour-ish round trip commute.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I just finished cooking my second New Year's good-luck lunch. Hopefully this one takes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GE used to be the gold standard for appliances. My aunt and grandmother both remodeled kitchens in 1963 and went full GE. My aunt's appliances are still working perfectly. I'm assuming the new owners of my grandmother's house ditched hers, but they were still working when she died.

My grandmother also bought the first water heater for her house in 1939. Also GE. It almost made it 75 years.

As an adult, I've bought Whirlpool (or Kenmore which at the time were rebadged Whirlpool) and had good luck. They have/had things that I would do differently, but haven't had one die on my watch yet (knocks on wood).

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 11, 2021

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I would go on a date with Slothrop. Up for debate is whether we go to Outback, drink Fosters, wear fancy safari duds, and carry big knives.

In all seriousness, I think you're a catch for someone and I can relate to the journey.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

mariooncrack posted:

Going to Outback and no blooming onion? smh.

I rarely go all the way on the first date

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went to college with Marshal Law.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I've been rocking the smart home for about 10 years, won't go back. I like being able to lock the doors, set the alarm, turn off all the lights, and set the thermostat back in one fell swoop. I have Hue lights in the bedroom that change color and temperature based upon time of day. Robot vacuum runs daily, but only if I leave. With geofencing, the thermostat goes back to its home setting, lights go on, and music starts playing when I get to the community gate.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I bought a lot of my smarthome products with geofencing in mind. Then I had a kid, and then the pandemic hit, so there hasn't NOT been someone in my house for almost 3 years now and it's been sort of a pointless endeavor.

A fair point - I'm approaching the 1 year mark of work-from-home and it's definitely not as useful as it was when I was commuting/traveling.

I will share a watch-out for folks interested in a smarthome. I started mine off with cheap off-brand plugs off Amazon. They worked fine in my little 1000 sq ft house on a 1/4 acre lot. When I moved into a 60 unit condo downtown three years ago, I found that the cheapies were intermittent and at times I had issues with them responding. The amount of 2.4 ghz band traffic is astounding. The 5 ghz band is much better spaced, and almost none of the cheap devices from Amazon will work on it.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

slothrop posted:

Happy Sunday Chums. I’m happier than I’ve been in months and I hope everybody is having a fabulous day.

Hey! Welcome back and glad you're having a happy day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well poo poo.

Who the hell do I complain to now about dumb sixxers????

Please don't poo poo in the well :laffo: