Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Congratulations to UTC+6 and greater for making it to 2021! The rest of us will catch up sometime.

My wife is putting together a charcuterie platter tonight, and we'll celebrate by fighting our cats to keep them from stealing too much spiced meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

bolind posted:

Considering it's the first time I've both eaten it and cooked it, I think my Beef Wellington came out pretty well:

Happy New Years, Goons! My three-year-old made it to 10:45 pm, and my wife about the same.

drat fine beef wellington, Bolind

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

My wife put together a charcuterie plate, and we started watching Schitt's Creek (which I really hadn't heard about until last night). My wife fell asleep on the couch shortly after midnight, and I tried to go to bed around 1. The neighbors that my bedroom shares a wall with were blasting their subwoofer until 2:30 or so, so I did not fall asleep. At around 5, my wife woke up and started throwing up. I felt a little queezy, but I think I managed to avoid whatever made her sick (who knows how, we ate the same things last night).

All in all it was a long night.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

dude systematically scooches over until I’m left with 18 inches of a king size bed.

One of my cats practices this technique, and it's what caused us to upgrade to a king bed in the first place.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've been messing with Stadia playing PUBG over the last few days. It works better than it has any right to, streaming the game directly to Chrome on my macbook. I'm also really enjoying PUBG

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've never named a car, but I understand people who do.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

nm posted:

Commuting is the loving worst.
I had years of hour long (each way) commutes and they just sucked so much free time, not to mention money.
I currently have a 5 minute commute (by bike), but I just bought a house further away, so it will now be an unholy 15 minutes of biking.

I think 15 minutes is the right length of commute. I lived a 5 minute walk from work for a year, and my work/life balance went all to hell. 5 minutes by bike is probably a little better because of the distance.

Right now my commute would be ~20 minutes by bus, but I haven't commuted since March. I'll probably start bicycling to work on and off in the spring, depending on New York's covid numbers.

Edit: Of course there's a slack outage on the first workday of 2021, right when I wanted to reference something that my manager told me on Dec 29th.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 4, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

trouser chili posted:

Sometimes when they get pissy like that I’ll hammer a finishing nail in between the post and clamp.

My Mazda had half a popsicle stick shimming the negative battery terminal for several years, until I sold it I think.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Elviscat posted:

This all sucks, so here's a picture of my "stray" kitty.

That's a drat good cat

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I wanna know if they're cut off from their instances entirely or if they just can't host the app. Like what about database and vm backups? Can they still exfiltrate those?
I'm sure Amazon is going to hang onto that for at least 90 days as legally required.

Either way it's loving hilarious.

From what it sounds like, their EC2 instances / routing / any other managed service are going to be shut off, but they can still exfiltrate S3 data.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

luminalflux posted:

I just can't fathom being married to someone who I don't share political views with, especially that extreme. Thankfully we don't really have much contact with them - just thanksgiving / xmas and that's easy to limit.

I think it's healthy for spouses to disagree *a little*, but definitely there needs to be some common ground.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Finally got around to getting some leads for the 465 that kastein gave to me then cleaning up the front took me about 2 hours taking everything apart. It needs the pots to be cleaned next but that's for another day.

That reminds me, I really need to get around to testing/giving away my oscilloscope.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

To be fair I don't think I've ever seen anyone drinking Foster's here since like the early 90's.

So yeah we don't drink it here either :v:

I ordered a Foster's once at a bar, and it was vastly unimpressive. I'm glad Australians are better than that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's part of the normal Democrat-getting-elected ammunition availability cycle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

maybe I'm old or a luddite or both but I can't figure out why I want smart bulbs.

If the lights are off in the bedroom when my wife gets home, she will turn the light on her side of the bedroom on. That's kind of a pain to get to, since it's all the hell on the other side of the bed. So my smartbulb use case is 100% for turning the light on my side of the room on at sunset, automatically.

Edit: I was playing with home-assistant over the last few weeks. I want to use that to drive my smartbulbs and a couple other things. Unfortunately the latest OS update made it so my raspberry pi doesn't try to get on the network any more, so I need to figure out what's up with that.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 19, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

There are two kinds of IoT people in the world:
- I love python! I own 47 raspberry pis! I have every smart device on the planet and my mood lighting changes color!
- everything I own is hardwired if possible, the S in IoT stands for Security, and there's a shotgun in the corner just in case the printer makes a funny noise.

meltie posted:

The difference between tech enthusiasts and tech workers.

I think I split the difference by rolling my own systems. The worst thing that happens is I break them!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Alarbus posted:

I'm a couple pounds down overall

I should start drinking, so that I can quit and lose some weight

big dong wanter posted:

OK this might be a bit out of left field but could the yanks among us let me know how much the 2019/20 fires got airplay in the yank media?
a friend of mine didnt even know they happened

Same as below. I'm not very familiar with Aus geography, but people in my circle were well aware that the fires were big and bad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What do you talk about with a therapist? I've had two appointments with one, but I'm failing to see the point.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Dang Saturn mommy is hot.

Don't do this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

New foot, who this?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That looks like it sucked. How did you manage that?

Too many motorcycle accidents in my 20s gave me arthritis in my left ankle (and most of the hardware in there). I had the ankle (just the tibiotalar joint) fused in late October, and I've been completely off of it since then. Finally got out of the cast and into a boot yesterday. I'm partial-weight-bearing now, and the plan is for me to work up to full-weight-bearing in a couple of weeks.

Getting the cast off is great. It's so nice to be able to let my leg breathe. It's weird, trying to move that ankle is like an isometric exercise. I can feel the muscle trying, but the ankle doesn't move.

I just walked up and down my apartment building's hallway with crutch support. Not bad, a little pain. I'll keep doing that to build up strength and stability.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Deeters posted:

You had a Ulysses, right? I sorta remember that in the old CA crash test thread.

Hah yeah, exactly. I crashed it in 2014. Insurance repaired it and I wound up selling it and dropping off the face of CA shortly thereafter. My wife and I agreed that while we lived in downtown Chicago, and later downtown New York, there's no point in riding a motorcycle since there's nowhere worth riding nearby anyhow.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

poo poo, how have you been getting around then? One of the MTB guys I occasionally watch on the tube broke his ankle and got himself a little kneel on scooter to make moves on.

How long is it going to take before you're back to normal?

Winter during a pandemic has been the best time to get ankle surgery. I literally haven't left my apartment except to go to doctor's appointments since the end of October, and I took a Lyft when I did. I'd been working from home since March, so I just changed my desk setup a little bit Yes, I went a little crazy but I'm good at being my own company.

As far as I can tell, I'll probably transition back into shoes and start physical therapy by the end of February. From what I've read, you start walking normally-ish pretty quickly after your bones heal from this operation. I'll probably always have a limp, but no more than I did before and with less chronic pain.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

How do you differentiate tho? It's to the point now that everything is questionable because it seems like all integrity has gone out the window, it's all about ratings and getting the story out first whether it's accurate or not.

24 hour news channels are the worst offenders imo

You pay attention. If a news source is mostly writing shock headlines to make you angry, they're not credible. That's 100% of what the New York Post (and the similarly named Washington Times) does.

Not everybody agrees with this chart exactly, but in broad strokes it's pretty good at showing which news sources are worth paying attention to. Take it for what you will:

When you're reading a news story, look for facts. Look for sourced hard information. Then look for opinions, and language that's designed to color your opinion. You'll notice that some publications are better at sticking to the facts, some offer analysis, and some just completely hit you over the head with a folding chair telling you how you should feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I was shocked at how good the Binky paint job wound up looking.

I bought a tiny quadcopter kit with a first-person-view camera from a friend of mine the other day. I couldn't actually find the quad for a while -- it turns out it packs up into the FPV goggles. Screwed with it for about an hour today. My cats hate it, but they're getting better at ignoring it. I only dropped it into spaghetti sauce once!

Chasing it around the apartment when I've crashed it in some unrecoverable situation is a pretty good excuse to use my bum leg while it recovers.