Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

So did they tell him he was going to be arrested right then and there unless he read the prepared statement exactly as written with no ad-libbing? Or what happened here, because he sure as hell had nothing to do with the content of that, and I presume he was blinking his eyes to spell out morse code for 'Send filet-o-fish' throughout the bizarre event.

The timing of Pence's announcement of no 25th seems to coincide rather neatly with when this video would have been in the can, so I presume they are related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

People have been singing Bosch's praises around here for a while, especially the dishwashers.

We've had a Bosch dishwasher for several years now. It washes dishes. It hasn't broken. That's about all I expect of it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darchangel posted:

So, uh, with current events, I'm sure some of you have had to deal with close family members that have suddenly revealed themselves to be... unworthy. What do you do? Just stop associating with them? Is avoiding politics good enough?
I just lost a huge amount of respect for my dad over some responses and posts he made to my posts regarding Trump on FB. I guess I should be happy to have never had a serious argument with my old man, but I wish it were almost anything but *this*.
I don't know what to do. I love my parents, but this is just... unforgivable. Unconscionable? I mean, he posted an article from loving OAN on my feed. I'm afraid he's deep in the Kool-Aid, and mom's not far behind. My sibling's aren't exactly left-wing, either. Side-effect of staying in the small(ish) Texas town where we grew up, I guess.
I don't understand how anyone can continue to support Trump after what he did and what's coming out. Are they just...ignoring everything? dismissing it at fake or something? All of the videos, reports, etc.?

I think it has to be a case by case basis. There isn't any blanket recommendation. Just whatever works for you with that person.

I've got a brother-in-law who is an obnoxious magachud. I just ignore him and do my best to avoid interacting with him. If we're at a family gathering, I'm polite and terse with him. It's either that or punch him in the face, which would cause more problems that it would solve.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I think the biggest problem in my case is that it's my dad - I've learned from and respected him all my life. Lots of good memories, and this is just very disappointing.

Fundamentally, your Dad is just a guy trying to get through life, not a hero. He's fallible and fragile. In fact, he was likely almost identical to you when he was your age.

I've had to work through some issues I had with my own Dad, and ultimately that's what it came down to. We're all ad-libbing our way through everything and he had his own issues to deal with.

Let your Dad be human and accept him and love him as he is, warts and all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Not Wolverine posted:

It is annoying that there is martial law, and martial arts derived from the Latin word martial meaning "war like". Then there is also U.S Marshals in federal law enforcement, or the Field Marshal who is the highest ranking officer in the Army. If anything, I expect martial law will be carried out by a marshal. I look forward to Marshall Mather's Law because it's about time for the real Slim Shady to stand up.

All these Marshals need to be coordinated, too. Some sort of Marshal Plan for martial law. I get all Marshal Tuckered out just thinking about it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Overheard at Costco "why does this air purifier have WiFi?"

So Russian hackers can mine bitcoins with it, duh.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

big dong wanter posted:

OK this might be a bit out of left field but could the yanks among us let me know how much the 2019/20 fires got airplay in the yank media?
a friend of mine didnt even know they happened

It wasn't wall-to-wall, but there were stories almost daily about them. It was a fairly big deal.

People forget quickly when it doesn't impact them directly.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

So it's a loan where the recipient doesn't own the collateral, based on an educated guess? Where does the bank profit, or are they gambling too?

They get a fee every time you trade, so they don't care if you're buying or selling.

The stock they let you sell is a loan that you have to pay back by a certain date. By that date you must make a trade to rebuy the stock and return it. If the stock has gone down in price, you can pocket the difference. If it's gone up, you eat the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's better than nothing, but the point of signalling is to alert other drivers as to your intentions before you actually start turning.