Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

sincx posted:

People actually name their cars?

My wife named her previous car and our current car. The crosstrek is named Siouxsie Subaru according to me and Suzy according to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

nm posted:

Commuting is the loving worst.

It really is. My commute has been a 15 minute bike ride for the last 3 years and I can't remember how I regularly did 1h15 each direction of 2 metros and a bus ride. Now I've got 0 minute commute and I'm not sure how i'll adapt to going back into an office.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Anyone else here use Bosch appliances? We're renovating our kitchen and I want to get all Bosch because I love the aesthetic and they have good reviews for almost all their stuff. Can't wait to get an induction cooktop too, I haven't read a single review were someone wasn't raving about induction cooking.

Rental I'm in has a Bosch glass-ceramic cooktop, dishwasher, and 800-series oven and microwave, and we got a Bosch dishwasher on our own for the previous apartment. The dishwashers are good, though you have to keep them fed with rinse-aid for the express cycle to take 30 min.

The oven we have is ... an enigma. I love convection and it goes real low in temperature which is useful for keeping things warm. I cannot get behind the UI - I hate the membrane buttons on it. Their european ovens used to have a rotary encoder which is a lot faster to select program / temp with compared to these lovely buttons. Also, the loving thing won't keep the light if you open then close the door. The timer also sucks.

The glass-ceramic cooktop, well, at least it's not coils, i guess. This house has gas for the water heater, fireplace and the dryer but they decided to rip it out when the reno'd the kitchen for no good reason.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Coincidentally our Samsung fridge in this rental does not dispense ice anymore. It will gladly make ice, and will gladly dispense water. Just not dispense ice.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I’m never going back to a noisy dishwasher if I can avoid it. The GE “cheap landlord special” in our previous apartment was LOUD and slow. We replaced it with a Bosch 800 when it broke and holy poo poo being able to watch TV while the dishwasher runs is amazing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My immediate family is all fairly progressive for US politics. We split a fair bit in swedish politics and have been all over the place, though me and my brother have aligned on the left party the last couple elections. Inlaws is a whole 'nother story. My father-in-law voted for Trump last time around, but I think he regretted it. Same with my mother-in-law's husband - both of them are disabled, fairly low-information voters who just get everything from TV news. The women in my wife's family are your typical centrist california democrats.

The kicker came with my wife's stepsister's husband, who despite giving the outward appearance of a ex-marine meathead, bodybuilding construction worker, is a really nice family guy who plays jazz piano to relax. None of the veiled racism/homophobia that I'd get from my MIL's husband - having stuff like Black Panther on in the background always got some interesting comments from him. Welp, he destroyed his shoulder on the job right before the pandemic and is basically out on medical pension after reconstructing it, can't even lift his kids or anything and isn't working. His facebook went straight to Breitbart / OAN and reposting Trump facebook posts after that, which I don't think any of us expected. Wife's stepsister is pregnant with their 3rd kid and according to her they've been having some "very tense political conversations at home".

I just can't fathom being married to someone who I don't share political views with, especially that extreme. Thankfully we don't really have much contact with them - just thanksgiving / xmas and that's easy to limit.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Elviscat posted:

What's the problem with engineered beams?

https://youtu.be/xVodkE47aLw

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My wife and brother conspired to get me two tiki cocktail books for christmas, and also a couple tiki mugs and a starter set of rum. We both like going to tiki bars and our friends are super into it as well, and we kinda wanted to get past our habit of just making manhattans.

Apparently a minimalist tiki set needs something like 5-6 different rums, various liqueurs and a bunch of syrups, along with a lewis bag and mallet to crush ice with. Our liquor cabinet is now full of rum and i've made a some syrups as well. We also got a $30 drink blender and are seriously contemplating how to build our own tiki bar in the next house we get.

And yeah, drink what you like.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Big Taint posted:

No talk of gendered beverages is complete without this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4TGGtPzBU

I knew exactly which video you meant before clicking on it / seeing a thumbnail and it's still funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We have a bunch of philips hue and they work ... OK. I wish it was possible to set them to boot up at something other than full blast white - we have them in our nightlights but i'd love it I could get them to start at half-power orange. Still, it works well enough and integrates with apple stuff so both me and my wife can operate the scenes from our phones.

It beats sysadmining my lights though.