Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you looking forward to in 2021?
This poll is closed.
More Bowesette 86 29.76%
This poll being modified by the mods 23 7.96%
game industry unionizing 80 27.68%
less open world AAA games 21 7.27%
being one of cheetah's little pogchamps 1 0.35%
78 26.99%
Total: 289 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like that it's unfair to rank the characters since some of them play roles of narrative importance which may not make them "likeable" but I guess that's the thing!

1. Yuki Takamiya -
etc.

I haven't quite found the effort within me to do it, but if i was going to make a tier list it would be based on walk cycles, "consider" pose, and maybe selection phrase and animation.

e: also every time i see the platinum trophy i'm reminded of the Vandals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

a kitten posted:

I haven't quite found the effort within me to do it, but if i was going to make a tier list it would be based on walk cycles, "consider" pose, and maybe selection phrase and animation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh good, the medium revealed its next villain and it's once again a person who experienced child abuse and trauma as a kid. you know how only victims of trauma become evil? especially as kids? no? well bloober team believes it anyway

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I might eventually check out Medium just for its recreation of 90s Poland. Not a time I remember too fondly, but seeing a Polonez recreated in a modern, relatively high budget video game gave me a warm feeling.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

post your backlog

The Legend of Dragoon - Ongoing
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney - Justice for All
Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
Shin Megami Tensai IV: Apocalypse
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Detective Pikachu
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
Murder by Numbers
Fire Emblem Warriors
Persona 3 Portable
Worldend Syndrome
Children of Zodiarcs
Bug Fables
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
Final Fantasy IX & X-2
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Baten Kaitos
Cosmic Star Heroine

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i forgot the classic crank where they ruin the airship on a second pass in ff5, but its doubly powerful w/ the awful gba soundchip

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm playing through Justice for All right now and a challenge run of Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I have a friend I like to play indie games with, and I think we're gonna be playing that one Red Candle game that was officially out for like a day (Devotion I think) soon. Or maybe try out some random steam game I have laying around. We've had fun playing Detention, Return of the Obra Dinn, and Yuppie Psycho together (though we had some qualms with the intro and ending of the latter), so I hope we can find more games that have that nice "respectable artistic narrative" to "doesn't take forever to play" ratio.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blue Labrador posted:

I have a friend I like to play indie games with, and I think we're gonna be playing that one Red Candle game that was officially out for like a day (Devotion I think) soon. Or maybe try out some random steam game I have laying around. We've had fun playing Detention, Return of the Obra Dinn, and Yuppie Psycho together (though we had some qualms with the intro and ending of the latter), so I hope we can find more games that have that nice "respectable artistic narrative" to "doesn't take forever to play" ratio.

https://han-tani.itch.io/anodyne-2

please, enjoy

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Labrador posted:

Can anyone recommend any books or texts that talk about video game design choices and/or mechanics on an artistic and analytic level? I've seen a lot of video essay type things on these topics, but I don't have any specific experience in the field myself, so I don't have any intimate understanding or knowledge of broader canon regarding the medium. I'm really interested in the theory of video game music at the moment, but I'll learn about anything.

On a separate note, I recently revisited the old Dreamcast Ecco the Dolphin game I played as a kid and that game is still mad atmospheric. If anyone played the Genesis games, how different are those from the DC version? I definitely didn't expect the game to go from "cute" to "creepy and prog rock-y".

The first one sucks, Tides of Time is pretty good.

haveblue posted:

No, anyone who buys Gamestop or any other heavily memed stock after this point (or really in the past few days) is hosed. No one else is hosed

Generally if you take reddit's advice on anything you will be hosed on some level so don't do it with thousands of dollars

OTOH, goon advice has historically proven even worse than redditor advice.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 1, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been watching old Kotaku Tim Rogers videos to see the precursor to current Action Button

He did a 90 minute stream for the 25th anniversary of Donkey Kong Country. It was 33 minutes of intro before he booted up the game.

I did learn that "Goldeneye N64 was what got my brother back into games because you could kill" -- Tim Rogers

Edit: well this got me

Help Im Alive posted:

My thoughts on the 13S ending are I never finished it but now I have successfully tricked non-13 Sentinels players into thinking I have + also that I have deep and meaningful insights to share this here is just some extra placeholder text as my opinion will look more impressive with bigger spoiler bars aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 1, 2021

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

OTOH, goon advice has historically proven even worse than redditor advice.

You only remember the advice that turned out wrong.

Stocks are just gambling, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

are you talking about how they have to kill DeWitt because if you think about a multiverse for a minute it means that killing him only introduces a new fork and there's still infinite Good Guy DeWitts and Bad Guy Comstocks

Bioshock Infinite's story is complete trash but I thought the ending was supposed to be that the baptism was a fixed point in time that all Dewitts eventually came to and they all went there to drown him so that no Dewitts or Comstocks ever existed past that point

Of course that was followed up by Burial at Sea which was total incomprehensible garbage so I dunno

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ohhh yikes. the medium story got worse

ending spoilers: lily (Richard's victim) is not marianne but marianne's twin sister. the maw is not thomas, the maw is a part of lily that was created after her molestation. lily sets the maw free as part of a pact to save the two sisters from a house fire. thomas locks lily away to keep the monster from getting out, but eventually it does, and goes on to possess and kill a lot of people. marianne is abandoned at the hospital and taken in by someone else so she doesn't remember any of this. everyone the maw or other monsters come into contact with in the story is someone with trauma in their lives, so the implication here is that people who are abused/traumatized then become the abusers no matter what. because it's every one of the maw's victims, and every antagonist in the game. richard, nurse ursula, lily, henry (the antagonist i mentioned in an earlier post). there's nobody in the game that doesn't do something bad because they were once a victim themselves. lily by the way, a victim of child molestation AND being in a house fire, so double the trauma.

getting back to the ending. lily gives marianne a gun and tells her that the only way to stop the maw is to kill her. the maw wants to inhabit marianne because she is a stronger medium. but i guess if lily is killed the maw is pretty much gone. marianne decides, inexplicably, that the actual solution is to possibly shoot HERSELF in the head, which would... not solve anything??? the maw would still be free to prey on others, theoretically (i mean, bloober team, for all the game's exposition, doesn't really get into the logistics of this, since the killings in the game all happened a long time ago and the building is in ruins.. so the maw probably hasn't been able to do much of anything and probably would just lose its host if lily lived alone and died of old age, although that has connotations of its own...). lily pleads with marianne to kill her, marianne can't think straight, cut to black then a gunshot, game ends. you get a steam/xbox achivement called "you can't save everyone". after the credits the devs plead with you to leave a review on steam lol

the implication here is that people with trauma are beyond saving, that they're doomed to perpetuate an endless cycle of abuse, and that some people with trauma would be better off dead than helped. if you only play through the game with brain off and go 'oo spooky game' then you probably would just go, yep can't save everyone gotta make a choice sometimes (except you don't!!). but as the writers of the game, bloober team gets to decide that, they get to decide who is saveable, and based on the story... NO ONE is saved. everyone at the niwa resort is dead. thomas is most likely dead as spirit thomas says he can't feel his presence anymore. who lives at the end? either lily or marianne and that's it. bloober team wrote it so that it had to be that binary choice (and then they chose to leave who dies unknown!), they could have written a way to help lily, they could have written multiple endings based on your choices/actions, but this is the story that they chose to tell.

obviously i could be misreading poo poo, or missing some document collectible, but that's how the game seems to read and i get bobvid's complaints now. i read another website's explanation of story elements and the monsters Childeater and The Hound are ALSO creations of trauma from Richard and Henry respectively, so they didn't always exist, they were SPECIFICALLY created out of trauma, and as such, furthers the game's narrative link that trauma creates personal demons that lead to awful behavior which just cannot be helped. WHAT CAN YOU DO! LOL!! can't save everyone, am I right? if this all isn't what bloober team is driving at, then i don't know what they're saying, which, hey, maybe don't include all this exploitative material if you're either not going to say anything with it or promote harmful ideas.

alright i'm done talking about or thinking about this game there's too much enjoyable stuff out there. i added a few more titles on Viveport Infinity that I'll play this week and it'll be a good time. i had completely forgotten about fantastic contraption. but also there's the windland games. i can be a spiderman

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 1, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh cool, the Medium is a stealth adaptation of the Beast roleplaying game to videogames

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

my backlog is, as far as i remember:

games i havent finished:

fire emblem three houses: finish golden deer and cindered shadows, do blue lions and silver snow
kingdom hearts 3 re:mind dlc
tales of berseria
digimon cyber sleuth
travis strikes again
dragons dogma: dark arisen
xenoblade chronicles definitive edition
astral chain
fire emblem echoes
iconoclasts
final fantasy xv

games i havent started:

13 sentinels
???

im pretty sure theres more but idk what. im probably just going to keep playing tekken 7 instead

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
umurangi generation: good

not just because i'm in it either

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Barudak posted:

Oh cool, the Medium is a stealth adaptation of the Beast roleplaying game to videogames

loling at this but like the sad lol that turns into a slow pained groan

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Feb when

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Remember like four months ago when I got talked into playing through Danganronpa 1+2 so I could better appreciate the twist at the beginning and end of 3?

Still have not started 3

I dropped of DR2 just at the start of trial 5 cause life got busy before Xmas and I've still not gone back to it :negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hang on a sec, this isn't the February chat thread!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Barudak posted:

wow uh gently caress

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You best start believing in Feb Thread posting FirstAidKit, you're in one.

https://i.imgur.com/xDzjcWj.mp4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

You best start believing in Feb Thread posting FirstAidKit, you're in one.

https://i.imgur.com/xDzjcWj.mp4

It's like I'm repeating the same month over and over.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Feb-Ru-Ar-Y Games Chat Thread, the Thread for Vi-De-O Games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's 5:53 AM as I am typing up this post and the Feb thread should already be posted.

Hey feb chat WHERE IS FEB CHAT for unless OP lost fingat, we must find them or the month can't go

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 1, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Welcome to January 32nd

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
don't make me do the rest of the song

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
someone make a new thread or i'm going to be forced to make one with an unfunny title and no bowsette options in the poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
new thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957639