Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Automatic coffee maker. Put the water and grinds in the night before, wake up to a fresh pot of coffee. Absolutely a tangible quality of life improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Espresso maker & bean grinder. Still working on my latte ratios. Am down to only 4 double shots per cup of frothed milk. Hoping the methadone clinic can help me.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Agreed , I got a bean to cup thing that makes espresso or coffee fresh when I press the button, and it owns so hard. I even started using fancy beans sometimes and I'm still shocked how different and good certain beans taste.

They're not cheap, the one I got is entry level and cost me 250 bucks, but it is such an improvement of my mornings ill never go back again.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
An actual toilet.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
A cool knife.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Putty posted:

Lasik dudes did your insurance cover it?

Nope. Cost me about $4,000 out of pocket. I'd do it all over again for the freedom of not needing glasses or contacts.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Nope. Cost me about $4,000 out of pocket. I'd do it all over again for the freedom of not needing glasses or contacts.

would you go into debt for it

what if you had to recover from Lasik on the streets for instance

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I got a cattle prod-like electric arc lighter for a few bux to light fireworks in cold and/or windy conditiins, for which it works excellently as it's easy to use while wearing gloves and isn't affected by wind so it has improved one day per year.

Might install an LED or something on it tho as it doesn't emit any light.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BasicLich posted:

would you go into debt for it

what if you had to recover from Lasik on the streets for instance

Recovery was a nightmare. I'd have been screwed if I didn't have a bed to lay in for a week.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I would love to get lasik but I have very dry eyes that are constantly irritated. This could of course be from my junky scratched up glasses and the monitor I look into 12 hours a day or so.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A nice electric kettle :)

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 2, 2021

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Recovery was a nightmare. I'd have been screwed if I didn't have a bed to lay in for a week.

well theres no way im denuding my savings account for my eyesight then

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Go to like Turkey, Thailand, or some other outside country for your surgeries that insurance won't cover since it's much cheaper (include travel costs) because lol US health care.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

halokiller posted:

Go to like Turkey, Thailand, or some other outside country for your surgeries that insurance won't cover since it's much cheaper (include travel costs) because lol US health care.

Also you’ll probably find there’s a better quality of healthcare

Remember the US is like next to Uganda on the list of healthcare around the world.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Into The Mild posted:

Also you’ll probably find there’s a better quality of healthcare

Remember the US is like next to Uganda on the list of healthcare around the world.

Perhaps you are looking at the alphabetised list.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Those insulated double-walled metal cups are legitimately fantastic, they never sweat and keep liquid ice cold and last forever and thanks to them becoming so common you no longer have to pay the obscene Yeti brand markup since Walmart sells them for about $8. I think everyone who buys one has the experience of waking up to find that there's still ice left in the cup from the night before, it rules. Pair it with a reusable straw of your preferred material and a clip-on cupholder for your desk or TV stand and you're ready to hydrate with ease in safety from spills.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

one thing that I got that made life way more interesting/better was puberty. Try that op

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Beefed Owl posted:

gently caress you a bidet is one of the best things you can do for your rear end
not even close

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica

Big Beef City posted:

one thing that I got that made life way more interesting/better was puberty. Try that op

Lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My Boss Soundlink Micro speaker. It's waterproof, rugged, tiny, loud, sounds great, and plays forever on a battery charge. It's light and it's got this strap on the back so you can attach it to stuff. I got it for $70 26 months ago and I've used it almost every day since. It's gone with me on a million trips.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

I'm not referring to the inside of your rear end

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

i don't think i'd pay 4k and lay in bed for a week so i don't have to wear glasses

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Happiness.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Paladinus posted:

Happiness.

Humility :smug:

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Smart home stuff. It originally seemed sort of silly to turn lights on and off by voice or whatever but its actually ended up being quite nice. Just telling the house to set a timer, or pause the TV, or setting reminders is just really handy more often than you might think and not having to pull out a device to do it makes it easy.

Not life changing, but there's more added conveniences there than I originally imagined.

Battlevader
Nov 17, 2017

A heavy duty laptop for Wife and me self.
A tops Samsung smart tv.
48 Bottles of zinfandel bargain 4 US dollars/5 Gbpounds each.

Edit: This Something awful account is really entertaining. Great buy also :-)

Battlevader fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 2, 2021

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Yeah I guess to say one of the best return on investments for entertainment value I've gotten is from getting an account from this place. I have probably spent maybe $50 on somethingawful over the last 13 years and I've definitely gotten a lot more out of it than that

Whether or not it made my life better is debatable though

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Inept posted:

i don't think i'd pay 4k and lay in bed for a week so i don't have to wear glasses

I'd do it again. The ability to see naturally is just amazing.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Inept posted:

Yeah my vision is 20/40 so not too awful, was like 20/30 in college and gradually got worse to the point I caved and got glasses this year and while I’m completely functional without glasses (I figured initially I’d basically only bother pulling them out for stuff like PowerPoint presentations) I immediately started wearing them constantly because it’s just generally nice. They don’t bother me at all though, I’m never like drat glasses are so inconvenient.

Thread content: nice kitchen appliances. Get yourself a good fridge and never have to worry about playing grocery Tetris again, get yourself a good oven and things cook so much faster/more evenly, get yourself a good dishwasher and you never have to pre or rewash anything.

Battlevader
Nov 17, 2017

I'd do it again. The ability to see naturally is just amazing.

Glasses make you look wise.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah PRK was probably the best thing I've purchased, I gotta second that

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
paid for a baratza coffee grinder and my coffee turned out infinitely better

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah PRK was probably the best thing I've purchased, I gotta second that

oh yeah, i forgot i got laser eye surgery

that's def #1

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Some people might find it over-kill, but if you're committed to doing things right, and want to enjoy the experience, and hell have a little room for it, nothing has really been the same for me since I picked up my Komatsu Internal Drive Press for real AUTHENTIC margaritas at home.
Like...nothing touches this bad boy, and I dunno what I'd do if I had to step down to a lesser machine again. It's really fun and just incredible to have folks over (when we can and it's safe) to really get this thing going.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Battlevader posted:

Glasses make you look wise.

They make me feel so vulnerable. If I knock my glasses off my night stand and can't find them or something, welp, there goes my day. I'm not physically able to drive anywhere. I can't watch TV. Luckily I could still shitpost. If I were to get in a fight I'd be crippled if my glasses fall off.

Just waking up and being able to see is still an amazing feeling to me. I never take it for granted.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah but how do you gently caress it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Bum gun, although I've had to do without the last few months. Seems like most people won't realize how lovely their asses are at all times until they get the opportunity to clean their bungholes with high pressure water. Seriously, it changed my life

A nice, good looking and reliable backpack.

Jaybird Tarah Pro headphones. They have everything I want in Bluetooth headphones. Get them at best buy and get insurance and you can get a full refund (minus the 20 for the insurance) if it breaks within two years. And most Bluetooth headphones will break in some way within two years, and if they don't you can just say they did. This is the way I've had a years long string of hundred + dollar headphones while only paying about 20 bucks for each one

None of these are so recent but I don't buy a lot of stuff

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Play posted:

Bum gun, although I've had to do without the last few months. Seems like most people won't realize how lovely their asses are at all times until they get the opportunity to clean their bungholes with high pressure water. Seriously, it changed my life

A nice, good looking and reliable backpack.

Jaybird Tarah Pro headphones. They have everything I want in Bluetooth headphones. Get them at best buy and get insurance and you can get a full refund (minus the 20 for the insurance) if it breaks within two years. And most Bluetooth headphones will break in some way within two years, and if they don't you can just say they did. This is the way I've had a years long string of hundred + dollar headphones while only paying about 20 bucks for each one

None of these are so recent but I don't buy a lot of stuff

Bluetooth headphones are great. And yes, a good backpack! Mine was stolen after some years and I bought the exact same one. I like the pockets configuration and the zip that runs down the front for easy access to the bottom. Sheeit, the company (Millican) no longer makes that model (Matthew).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

halokiller posted:

You're dreaming if you think UHC in any first world nation covers Lasik.

Edit: don't mean to start a pissfight.
One thing I though was cool and good was these U-Taste measuring spoons. The drat writing doesn't wear off like ordinary spoons because it's laser-etched, bitch.
The ring they come on has a clip so you can remove individual ones and put them back into place after they're washed.
They have measuring cups too but that is less life-changing. Also; Commonwealth goons may want to replace the 15mL tbsp with a 20mL model.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0758FH37D

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

~Coxy posted:

You're dreaming if you think UHC in any first world nation covers Lasik.

I don't think you understand medical tourism lol. You aren't travelling to places to get optional treatment for free somehow. You're paying privately because even with a plane ticket, it's cheaper than being treated domestically.