Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mb_museum/status/1475798127714213890

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

william gibson has gone full grandpa, tactical cargo crocs

https://twitter.com/greatdismal/status/1476753625779109892?s=21

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wonder how much it costs to get him to endorse hulk hogan meat shoes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

qirex posted:

i love him and will defend him, with Arms, if needed

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jonny 290 posted:

i love him and will defend him, with Arms, if needed

Pretty sure it’s his legs on trial

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

qirex posted:

https://twitter.com/greatdismal/status/1476753625779109892?s=21

Unca Will'm, has Santa been!?

Well, lets have a look little Johnny

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003298429311.html

:toot:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the tactical diaper bag is still my favorite

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

the tactical diaper bag is still my favorite

oh my god

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hes probably just being old and dumb online but like he should be one of the few old people who should know not to be dumb online

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

he's a giant lib, very disappointing

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSHUIEDBbl4

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

a7m2 posted:

you read agency too, huh?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

a7m2 posted:

what does lib mean in this context. im not super familiar with canadian politics, but i know what liberal means in america (center left lol) and in denmark (solid right). are you saying he votes for rob ford?

my biggest issue with agency was the characters telling each other what was happening in the other, which could be fine, it just wasnt well written compared to all the other books he wrote

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/dezeen/status/1476561713411641350

what is...dezeen?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dezeen Uts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

my biggest issue with agency was the characters telling each other what was happening in the other, which could be fine, it just wasnt well written compared to all the other books he wrote

it wasn't, but i think the problem the cspam set have with it is it implies that electing hilary clinton avoided catastrophe

it felt like the blue ant books, but with even less of a point and absolutely no agency on the part of the protagonist

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 31, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

infernal machines posted:

it wasn't, but i think the problem the cspam set have with it is it implies that electing hilary clinton avoided catastrophe

it felt like the blue ant books, but with even less of a point and absolutely no agency on the part of the protagonist
lol

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The last Gibbo novel, AGENCY

I thought this was a bit limp compared to previous books, where the protagonist was just buffeted along in a series of directions (almost like she had no Agency aaaaah) until finally the plot resolved itself 99% offscreen. Any Willie G is worth reading but this I probably won't return to.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if the title was ironic, it's brilliant, but he's definitely operating on a level i'm not on

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i picked it up when it came out but haven't cracked it open yet. i just started City Come A Walkin' tonight.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wthats weird cause the jackpot happened in "both" worlds just minor differences

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

going from a very fuzzy memory here, but the jackpot happened in most of the worlds they can reach. in the protagonist's world it hasn't happened, yet at least, trump's election being one of the triggers.

the protagonist of agency, and the timeline they exist in, weren't a part of the peripheral

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh rightyeah

some of them think they can postpone in one world the jackpot as if that will help anyone

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that was my read anyway

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i think that's it, they're playing around because that's what they do, so there's a world that missed the first trigger, and now has a human intellect AI in it. assuming it's going to be a trilogy like his other stories, i'm interested to see how it ends

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Allez-oop!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i think that's it, they're playing around because that's what they do, so there's a world that missed the first trigger, and now has a human intellect AI in it. assuming it's going to be a trilogy like his other stories, i'm interested to see how it ends

yea they're good so far imo tho the second one could've used a bit more technical editing re people repeating stuff across the peripheral

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i liked peripheral, didnt like agency

currently reading: Elder Race by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shaggar is gonna finish it too because the Europeans think it's bad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Carthag Tuek posted:

hes probably just being old and dumb online but like he should be one of the few old people who should know not to be dumb online

he's written about the merger of fashion and tactical gear in his books, so it feels like a split between being a gag gift and him genuinely being amused by the absurdity of them

tbf, I've scoffed for years at coats festooned with pockets but come the pandemic got a good winter one and could carry spare everything which came in handy many times

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

I've been coasting through agency and finally got around to listening to his short story collection, burning chrome. agency has a lot going on that feels too exposition-y for him. i suspect it went through more rework prior to release under the guise of the 2016 election requiring rewrites, because so far it barely matters besides some throw away comments

burning chrome is all rough, fast ideas and the bones of his early novels so far and I like it a lot. the gersback continuum toes a pkd flow my tears line and I really appreciate it just sorta being

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah I think he's just old now but the books are atoll good

all the shorts especially hinterland are fantastic

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i love the man, he's been my favorite living author since i was in high school in the 90s.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

now you gotta meet him and kill him

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

there's a reason why i have several thousand books and movies in my house and never post in the forums for either on this board. :thunk:

i'm probably never going to end up in the same area code as him anyway, he doesn't do a ton of appearances and i've recently learned that speculative fiction fandom is somehow even worse than i remember it being so unless i bump into him at the airport it'll never happen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im just being online glib, hes still excellent imo

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

you read agency too, huh?

just his twitter feed around the US elections. he's not a bad guy or anything, it's just a little weird and disappointing seeing the biggest cyberpunk author be a centrist (by north american standards)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

probably the best author of that* generation tbh

* younger than my dad, older than my cousin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

for me it's probably iain banks or terry pratchett. both taken far too soon. the culture books may be some of my fav ever written, along with the nights watch.