Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Every year is more cyberpunk than the previous one.

Get your lovely branded clothing ready, staple on some extra protection from the elements and the police, and get ready for a wild rear end year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

super nailgun posted:

2021 - The year of finding out, is going to be an extremely cyberpunk year.

I certainly didn't do any loving around.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I load the OS into the computer with my floppy.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Carthag Tuek posted:

*tries to select the data store for the fifth time*

goddamnit, i bought this mouse from the amiga 500 catalog. why is it so sensitive to the scars on my scalp?

this is the worst cyperbunk i can imagine

If you need to move data you do it through the trapdoor. What, you afraid for your half a meg card or something? Just upload it into the RAM chips.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PIZZA.BAT posted:

what always kills me about things like this is that someone made this. someone knowingly made this and put it out into the world. i want these people to be tracked down and outed. like say this was made by some 16 year old shitlord. all instances across the internet would then have his dipshit face tagged onto the bottom so everyone would realize where they were getting their info from

The thing has "footswitch", "treble" and "bass" labeled. It's pretty funny.

It's funny because it's so low-effort.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think there was something recently saying beef wasn't inherently bad as long as it wasn't intensively farmed Ii..e of you discount the majority of consumption that's based around cheap meat.

So essentially what I, a white middle class man buying organic grass fed steak, do is fine, what you do when you buy a happy meal is wrong.

actually though I eat way less meat than I used to, partly because my wife is mostly vegetarian and its just easy to do the same most of the time. quorn mince is absolutely fine and so are the quorn pieces.

It's factory farming taking it to "environmental catastrophe", but if you're using land you could grow grains or legumes on you're still loving up.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Midjack posted:

the vantablack slap fight is absolutely hilarious.

At this point it's Kapoor just getting dunked on relentlessly.

Because he was being a petty dick.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Hit the fleshscape escape button and :wq.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Foone's like 90% whitenoise and then just these beautiful goddamn pieces of art.

So that's just below 10% better than the rest of twitter.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sweevo posted:

every time i try to understand what NFTs do/are for i understand how my 90yo grandma felt when i tried to explain the internet to her

"This is dumb and there's no loving reason for it to be this dumb."

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Midjack posted:

they're a cheap way to avoid a public indecency rap tho

A large trash bag is cheaper and doubles as post storage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

It'll be a 3.1 km route in a suburb, on normal traffic lanes among other car traffic.

Here's a picture of the stops of a similar trial that was already run last year:

gently caress yo city.

Autonomous buses but still can't unfuck the bus routes in a way that doesn't create endless chokepoints in the central region.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Alan Smithee posted:

i mean let's not pretend the offworld colonies weren't hosed too

The only thing we ever see in or coming from the offworld colonies are cloned slaves. The actual people are just off camera.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Trabisnikof posted:

The door refused to open. It said, "Smile, please."

He searched his soul. No more joy; nothing. "I'll smile for you tomorrow," he told the door. Again it remained locked tight. "When I smile at you," he informed it, "is in the nature of a kindness; I don't have to smile for you."

"I think otherwise," the door said. "Look in the employment contract you signed when you got hired at this factory."

...he found the contract. Sure enough; smiling to his door for opening and shutting constituted a mandatory interaction. Not a kindness.

"You discover I'm right," the door said. It sounded smug.

:golfclap:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

I don't know what that is, but even the real one failed to make any sense.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mediaphage posted:

how does it not make sense, reflective paint makes them more visible from a distance in headlights just like reflective clothing does on humans

It doesn't make sense as a project.

It's way too much effort for practically no gain, reindeer areas are full of wildlife, the reindeer are barely ever the problem.

Also that image is practically unrelated.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ADINSX posted:

Do me a favor, Joshua. This scam of yours, when it's over, you erase this god-damned thing

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ADINSX posted:

No anime in yospos

Does that include cosplay?

Kid's cosplaying as a piece of poo poo people pretend to respect.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Oh gently caress, the big disaster of the 2022's is gonna be lit.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's funny to me that 9/10ths of that stuff is completely worthless and will never go anywhere or be used for anything worthwhile because it's all garbage

yospos

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have early-2000's technology in my skull and it's necessary to keep me alive.

I also have 2010's technology that makes it easier to breathe.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

rotor posted:

its always medical technology that makes this conversation difficult. Like preindustrial society always sounds great except for the part where peopke die of smallpox all the time.

Fortunately, you can only experience time in one direction, so the conversation is meaningless to begin with.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Carthag Tuek posted:

sorry, bad time travel joke re "experience time" etc

it fell flat today, but,

It will be fine yesterday.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

carry on then posted:

needing gps implies the use of a private vehicle, which is unethical. do not.

I need a gps to know where my stop is, the bus windows are never washed, and my rear end knows only the route to home.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

chaosbreather posted:

given humans exist

Do they?

The sheep are electric because the environment is too contaminated to have real sheep.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

really you should steer clear of all works and derivatives of works by pkd if you're unwilling to as a first step accept an overtly kind of dumb and internally inconsistent premise.

working out the details is for nerds really.

What?

Seriously, what?

Did you miss the bits in the book with the empathy religion for the "people", the electric sheep, the question about androids dreaming, the inaccurate tests, the colonies that don't ever really play a role, and the replicants?

Or it being written by Philip K. Dick?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

right, all typical big picture questions about society, consciousness, the human condition. did *you* notice that the book does not dwell for more than a few words here and there on how a replicant is built, what they are made of, the economics of replicant production, etc? it just rapidly establishes that replicants are real, are regarded as emotionless machines, but that identifying them is a difficult process. which does not make a lot of sense if you pick at it, but that's why you don't pick at it.

Philip K. Dick - Do androids dream of electric sheep? Cool Robots

I'm NOT supposed to question what's real... in a Philip K. Dick book?

What a take!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sure is, do you have anything to say to defend this bizarre take you appear to have suddenly invented?

The book?

Like, the entire book?

The point is that nobody in the book can quite tell apart replicants and humans. Except posthumously, which is all based on the say-so of a government that's clearly an unreliable narrator. And then when you dig into it, the existence of humans doesn't quite make sense either.

It's... the style of Philip K. Dick. It's present in everything he's written. He famously had some words about "reality" in his books.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Agile Vector posted:

one is a global human empathic experience that the people of dying earth use (the mercer box), the implications of the replicants not being able to connect, and how people view them, and vice versa, for that

Yeah but the very way replicants are defined is by their capacity to feel empathy, in a way that would consistently disqualify a lot of people in actual reality, right now. And in a way that should make it impossible to arrive at the reason the world is so polluted in the first place.

Almost as if the theme is the way people treat each other and what the replicants are isn't exactly the point. :monocle:

Agile Vector posted:

the film trims a lot of the story for cohesion since many full pkd books are a jumble of philosophic ideas, questions on the nature of reality, and mid-century scifi and trying to put all that in is nearly impossible

Funnily, the film is less coherent without the jumble since it only implies so many of the questions on the nature of the reality underlying (and indeed, enabling) the story. Gotta love the aesthetic though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Humanity's waged war on itself so completely the rats in the cities are gone, unable to sustain themselves - but the thing setting people apart is their empathy.

The government sends unaccountable death squads after people and totally pinky swears they can tell who was a baddie after they're dead. Somehow they can't test living people.

Sometimes people are sent to a farm upstate on Mars and they never return or communicate back but they're in paradise.

At least one of the main characters is a replicant who doesn't know they're a replicant due to memory alterations.

LAPD Blade runners are totally the good guys.

Wake up electric sheeple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Well that's one way to make it clear you're into switches.