Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

ben shapino posted:

MF DOOM was a scam artist, he paid some random guy to perform at his shows with his mask on instead of actually performing himself. took his fans money and tricked them.

that's insanely funny and it's sad he died, RIP

In that vein, one of his impersonators should pick up the mantle and start doing live shows as DOOM, ala Andy Kauffman and Tony Clifton. Keep the mystique alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Laterite posted:

In that vein, one of his impersonators should pick up the mantle and start doing live shows as DOOM, ala Andy Kauffman and Tony Clifton. Keep the mystique alive.

Let's get Kool Keith to add it to one of his personas (Viktor Vaughn is now a persona^persona)

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

AHH F/UGH posted:

I hated his music but at least he was still better than 99% of hip hop that's come out in the last 18 years so RIP to a real one

edit they should have posted a picture of his unmasked face for the grand finale though

Worst loving post of the year seriously what the gently caress

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

gently caress you 2020

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

Let's get Kool Keith to add it to one of his personas (Viktor Vaughn is now a persona^persona)

:eyepop:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

if you liked his music that's fine, I didn't, but can we at least blame him for Action Bronson and other food rappers

dumb asss lol

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This is a real blow to the nerdcore rap community, we may never have another person that wears a comic book villain mask so well.

Dr. Activisionary
Oct 20, 2013

RIP MF DOOM

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I wish I hadn't seen this thread until tomorrow

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I wasn't aware loving Action Bronson was suddenly untouchable too lol

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Here's me as Action Bronson writing a verse

Yo yo, salmon with the ravioli,
add the thyme like my rollie,
Whippin in the kitchen,
cheese croquettes almost done,
Body numb, got her blowin' like Shalamar in 81
Oops I mean

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

if you liked his music that's fine, I didn't, but can we at least blame him for Action Bronson and other food rappers

:milk:

also gently caress you

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

AHH F/UGH posted:

I wasn't aware loving Action Bronson was suddenly untouchable too lol

You’re trying real hard to distill the shitfest that was 2020 directly into your posts, so congrats on the effort I guess.

Also lol who the gently caress cares enough about Action Bronson to repeatedly bring up in a thread that has nothing to do with him? GBS finishing the year strong.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Food Rappers lmao

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
MF DOOM was a pretty good food rapper. His knishes are great. rip

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

gently caress dude, that sucks poo poo. MM FOOD, Operation Doomsday, and his collab with Danger Mouse whipped rear end

Tetramin posted:

poo poo now I’m trying to remember my favorite special herbs track. Guess I just need to listen to all of them.

Monosodium Glutamate is what introduced me to his work and still stands as one of my favorites

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

:( RIP. gently caress man I was just hoping for a new Doom album.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Some interesting stuff I learned about him in the book "Check the Technique: Vol 2"; he had his own entire chapter in the book. He never planned on being a rapper. Basically in like 1989, he was a graffiti artist and tagged "KMD" everywhere. The letters literally had no meaning; he just liked the way they looked in bubble letters. He was friends with MC Serch and Pete Nice (3rd Bass) who just threw him on a song; turns out the song ended up being one of the biggest rap hits of 1989 (The Gas Face). Based on Doom's single verse on the song, he was given a record deal. He kept the name KMD and made up some silly backronymn to make it sound like they weren't just made up letters.

The 2nd album was shelved when one of the members of KMD got hit by a car when he tried to cross the Long Island Expressway on foot. I have the original release of the album without Doom's face blocked out.

He seemed like a cool dude. RIP.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mos Def was a big fan

https://youtu.be/zTBIvIDnnv8

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Rip

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

:(

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He still shouldn't have helped some kids shoot up their school 20 years ago, it's immoral or something

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
between MF DOOM and Thomas Pynchon, what is it with genius Long Islanders always hiding their face?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

AHH F/UGH posted:

:chloe:

If you hate this, then I don't know what's wrong with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-S3DNXHSao

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

can’t BELIEVE none of you swine have posted the Matthew Lesko DangerDoom ad yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4nZElXVcpc

Anyway this loving sucks. Another integral piece of my formative years gone forever. RIP :(

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
So was this dude just a tremendous nerd or what was up with the mask? If he was a huge nerd, was it obvious in his work?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
did this guy like comic books or something??

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously shook here, for an entire generation of millennial men that got C averages in high school but thought they were smart because they played video games MF Doom was an important stepping stone between listening to the Knuckles raps from the Sonic games and having the theme songs to The Boondocks and Samurai Champloo on your iPod Shuffle.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Seriously shook here, for an entire generation of millennial men that got C averages in high school but thought they were smart because they played video games MF Doom was an important stepping stone between listening to the Knuckles raps from the Sonic games and having the theme songs to The Boondocks and Samurai Champloo on your iPod Shuffle.

Yeah good one.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I heard that little kids in Chicago had that grown man tucking his chain into his shirt when they flexed on him in Cali.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
rest in peace, motherfucker doom

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
MF Doom is gone but thankfully the guy who rapped about what was coming up next on Kids WB is still with us so the art doesn't die with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up0X6CXUlis

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

The 2nd album was shelved when one of the members of KMD got hit by a car when he tried to cross the Long Island Expressway on foot. I have the original release of the album without Doom's face blocked out.

The guy who got killed on the highway was his brother, and DOOM's son died a couple of years ago too. Guy had a lot of suffering in his life even before what took him.

I never knew he didn't even want to be a rapper, that makes him showing up 3rd Bass on their own record even funnier. They're supposed to be the stars and this 19 year old kid who'd rather be tagging trains comes out of nowhere and lays the best verse on the track.

Madvillainy got me into alternative rap and is still a top 5 album of all time for me, across all genres. Incredible rhymes from start to finish, not a bar out of place, all delivered smooth and casual like they were nothing and he could do it all day.

RIP DOOM

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sybFU8Q875w

Banano fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 1, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

MF Doom is gone but thankfully the guy who rapped about what was coming up next on Kids WB is still with us so the art doesn't die with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up0X6CXUlis

Lol, that's pretty funny

I remember when I had my first beer

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

*tucks chain*

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

sofucking sad...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dandywalken posted:

*press f to tuck chain*

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

got any cool rap about the snorks or fraggle rock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Devonaut posted:

got any cool rap about the snorks or fraggle rock?
Rick has ya covered