Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m new here and i’m in

here’s a horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

u ready bb??

which horse is for me?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

lol i’m going to be honest i was hammered and cooking for the super bowl last night and i missed the deadline, but i’m still gonna post my dumbass story. sorry i’ll do better next time.

trash panda (963 words)

I’ve made plenty of poor decisions in my life. Purchasing this antique store that I’m currently living in was surprisingly not in the top 10, maybe not even in the top 25 worst decisions i’ve made but some days it certainly feels like it. The shop itself was gorgeous, inside and out. Set back on a sidestreet off the main drag in town, the windows were full of tchotchkes and furniture, hard oak dressers flanked by dusty trombones, a worrying amount of gothic horse and fairy figurines silhouetted against a gigantic leopard tapestry. I was particularly proud of this absolutely breathtaking cherry credenza I had rescued out of a luxury condo’s dumpster. I tried hard to make sure my windows were stocked with exactly the right balance of quality and chintzy, and it had been a mark of pride for me that since opening the store a year ago nothing ever stayed in that window for more than a month.

####

I spent more time than not in dumpsters. Living in a big city means that every day on the on the pavement, there’s ever more treasures and treats if you knew where to look. Before the store, I used to be a bike messenger, endlessly crisscrossing the city, learning every single curb cut and traffic light timing, and it is with that encyclopedic knowledge that I began to pull my head out of the clouds, and focus my gaze downwards, to the cobblestones around me.

Sharing the secrets of the city was always enjoyable for me, and I distinctly remember the look on my best friend’s face the first time I showed her one of my favorite street secrets. It was pretty late, and we had been smoking spliffs and walking back from a basement show where she performed, somehow making incredible dance music out of beatboxing into a didgeridoo and a drum machine. Maybe it was the drugs I was on. Anyways, we were zooted to the moon, high and drunk walking home, and I had begun to get pretty hungry. We happened to walk by a particular upscale restaurant a friend of a friend used to work at that originally tipped me off

I like a little razzle-dazzle in my life every now and again, so I pulled my friend into the alleyway and proceeded to swan dive into the dumpster there. It only took me a second to find what I was searching for. I popped right out and gracefully landed at my friend’s feet with two pizza boxes, absolutely packed to the brim with fresh slices of pizza, absolutely untouched because the pizza joint threw the boxes in a trash bag before throwing them out. I may be covered in old yogurt, but boy do I know how to have a good time.

####

Since getting the store I’ve done a lot more purchasing of goods, but trawling the back alleys for goods was such an easy way to refresh inventory, and the city always has more give. My stockroom was already pretty packed to the gills, but it had nothing on my apartment upstairs. My friend’s aunt who had owned the store was obviously an extreme packrat, but i’ve slowly been selling everything off. My favorite part of the apartment was easily the balcony, which was high up and gave a great view of the street theater constantly going on down below.

What I didn’t know when I moved in is that one of my old college frenemy flames, Abby, lived right across the way. It was one of those random mornings when I was smoking a spliff on the balcony and watching the people below when I saw her getting into a screaming match with this new girl she had been posting photos with on social media.I was annoyed when she started wildly falling in love with her, because I knew she inevitably would come crawling back to me at some point. Mind you, I’m full of my own Big Problems but I at least have the human decency to only be toxic to myself.

We hadn’t so much as smiled at each other in months, which was oddly reassuring. I contented myself with smoking in my crow’s nest and watching Abby slowly exit her honeymoon period with her current. After seeing it so many times and now, living right next to her I could see into her kitchen and see her angry water her plants, and try to sneak a cigarette on the balcony. She never smoked until she did, despite constantly making GBS threads on me for this filigreed silver cigarette case I’d carry. She’d call me a douchebag for having it (I was) and she would tell me to quit smoking once a day, but we’d sleep together, and she would inevitably reach for it and light up immediately after. Maybe the million movies I watched poisoned my brain but it was just so loving satisfying lying in your lovers arms, both sweaty and gross, sharing a smoke together.

I saw her sneaking one today during my morning coffee and spliff constitutional, and while she was gorgeous in the early morning light, she had such a heartbreaking look of pain on her face that I knew I was going to wuss out on ignoring her. I couldn’t help it. I’m not perfect. Abby is the blazing hot star that is center of her universe, I’m just a space ship and I knew her gravity was pulling me in yet again. So I took a shower, put on my favorite makeup and my best jealousy inducing dress and heels for maximum effect. She liked tiger lilies, and there was a really great florist around the corner from her place. I sighed, and stepped outside into the sunlight.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

in.

feels like: not angry, just disappointed

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

what is my e m o t i o n

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Lipstick Kisses
999 words
emotion: 100% "oh my god, we've got to gently caress right now," horny.

The bar I always took my first dates to had cheap booze, free popcorn, and a lovely pool table, which made it the best spot in the neighborhood to judge somebody’s character. I was waiting to play pool with somebody on a first date when I saw Abby walk in with her tinderella of the week. This wasn’t exactly a new occurrence. She was one of a rich cast of regulars who provided the local theatrics I enjoyed.

I think my date’s name was Juniper. I was bored, which wasn’t her fault, but I had been on this date so many times. I’m the “Manic Pixie Dream Brownie seeking Validation” and she’s “Seeking Quirky Partner As Stand-in For Personality”. I was bored, she was cute enough, and despite deciding this morning my toxic phase was over, I got all dolled up and cute. Work sucked this week and I wanted to be noticed and adored.

Two slowly sipped tequilas in, I felt reasonably sparkly and effervescent, and Juniper was caught up in my glow. Jury was still out, but she hadn’t tripped any red flags for me yet. She was mid story about using an outhouse somewhere in Africa that was full of spiders, when I made eye contact with Abby as she was ordering a drink at the bar.

Abby drank me up and drew me in from across the bar, from my fierce eyeliner to this gorgeous dress I had under my leather jacket. Was she a vampire? With a smile and a wink, Abby scooped up her drinks and pointedly sashayed by me. I knew she knew I was staring at her legs in her gloriously punk rock spike covered louboutin heels. I was struggling to hear more about these spiders in the bathroom because watching Abby’s hips sway was absolutely intoxicating.

“So then the other volunteers and I had to ride in the back of this pickup truck to the nearest village to charge our phones!” I snapped back to Juniper, poor sweet Juniper who didn’t deserve my wretchedness. She was gentle, and graceful and well adjusted. When I meet people like this, I do my peacock display of sociopathy and red flags so they take off running. I can’t handle people who aren’t messes. I chose poorly, because this just drew in Juniper the way Abby had just dominated me. This realization burned off the boozy haze.

I needed a second. I waited for a natural pause and excused myself for a cigarette. I flashed Juniper a flirty little smile on my way out, and by the way she swooned, I knew poor decisions may be in our future. Which is exactly why I needed to gather my thoughts.

A little city summer air, the smell of gently rotting dumpsters and old beer, really helps me clear out of my head. You could only kind of hear sandstorm a little bit through the door, and given that it was the 6th sandstorm of the night, I kind of appreciated being alone outside for it. I toyed with the idea of home with Juniper. If I did that would I destroy her life as she falls in love with the idea of me? Poor decisions have poor consequences, and I didn’t know if I wanted to be the rear end in a top hat that taught her that.

My mind was made up. Time to be brutally honest, and let her make her own decision, when the door swung open. Abby and her heels strutted out in her understated brilliance.

Before I could even stutter out a “hi” she strode over, and trapped me in those green-brown eyes again. She daintily took the cigarette out of my hand and took a drag, and all I could do was smile weakly as the simple act of her passing touch sent lightning up and down my entire body. She knew this. I was almost positive she just wanted to see how I’d react. Did she notice my date? Did she care? She smelled like sandalwood and lavender, and I was frozen in that hypnotic gaze. She was my world now.

I watched her take another slow drag, and smile. She knew. For somebody known the world over for never shutting up, I had absolutely nothing to offer. I just needed to drink in every single drop of her presence. I watched her hips sway up to me, and all of a sudden she was kissing me, and I was an absolute dumpster fire of electricity and want. The delicate sandalwood fragmented into a maze of woody, seductive sweetness, and before I could draw another breath it was done. She took my hand, wrote her number on my arm, finished with a lipstick kiss at the end. Then she was gone, with only the faint lavender on the breeze to mark her passing.

Juniper had sensed something was a little off when I returned, because I was definitely flushed, and clearly off balance, but I won the battle of my conscience. I was honest and told her about how sleeping with me was an awful idea and that I was still “working stuff out” and she relaxed immediately.
“You and that other girl have such messy vibes. I’m here for it. Maybe I want a chance to be messy?” I couldn’t really argue with that. “I’m sick of waiting for the pool table, do you want to come over to mine for a jazz cigarette?” she said, and we disappeared into the night.

I had promised myself to be less self destructive just this week and I was failing with flying colors. The next morning I got up to shower and Abby’s number was still on my arm. I instantly decided today would be the day I would become a better person. I got dressed and kissed her one last time before leaving. “Thanks Juniper, do you have my number saved?” I said. She looked at me a little confused, “My name’s Jennifer…”

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

THUNDERDOME WEEK FOUR FOUR SIX: My Dinner With Andre

Hi guys I'm loving new here, but im real excited!! I joined last week because I haven't written anything creative in forever. I am lazy and I don't like doing homework, so in classic group project fashion I'm counting on all of you fine folks to help me with my writing exercise I just made up. You see, while I think I'm ok at scenery, I'm pretty awful at dialogue. That's where you folks come in! Your goal for THUNDERDOME CDXLVI is to write a memorable, dialogue-heavy story. I need to learn how to write conversations and you guys are the perfect people to show me! Talk me through a tense situation. Or show me the lighter side. Hell, show me how to love again. I just want to see you flex your dialogue muscles. Make me swoon with your cleverness, and spit at your ennui.

I don't have a clever gimmick but I will be posting inspirational music videos for your stories.

THUNDERDOME CDXLVI
objective: Talk it out, baby. Dialogue wins the crown this week. I want you cuties to show me your oratory, don't tell me about it.
word limit: 900
signup deadline: Friday Midnight EST
posting deadline: Sunday Midnight EST NEW RULE submit by saturday midnight for full wordcount. Every 4 hours between saturday midnight and sunday midnight the legal word count drops by 100. so if you submit sunday night that is a total of 300 words. lol.
flash rules/hellrules: post if you dare. im new here and this will be hilarious.

Judges
1. Casual Encountess
2. crabrock, phd

Entrants:
1. sebmojo hellrule: everybody talks like seal describing stuff
2. mercedes: your characters are being pursued!
3. brotherly: space people in space
4. nae: imagine being married to johnny depp
5. yoruichi
6. a friendly penguin: its 1999 and you're gonna go to the skatepark to mack on some chicks
7. thranguy
8. Pththya-lyi
9. simply simon
10, sparksbloom: YOUR COUSIN FROM BAWWWWSTON
11. Sperglord Firecock
12. idle amalgam one guy's on mute!!!
13. curlingiron gossip girl for meatheads
14. caligula kangaroo terminal case of wes andersenitis
15. toanoradian is fruity as gently caress
16. Flesnolk gonna rock the casbah this week
17. Freudian img cat-jamiroquai.jpg
18. simbiotic
19. bb2k
20. chairchucker
21. hawklad
22. steeltoedsneakers

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

sebmojo posted:

In, hellrule me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMD2TwRvuoU

your hellrule: everybody talks like Seal describing things

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 16, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UD3jU86pY

hey baby, hope you brought your running shoes. your characters are on the lam!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

brotherly posted:

In, flash please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9rtB2ilZU
how exactly does one have a conversation with a sentient AI, anyways?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Nae posted:

In, gimme a hellrule!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulay2FvUEd8
imagine being married to johnny depp (like she was).

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fIDmPFd95o

for the kiwi, a kiwi. feel free to post where you're from im happy to locally tailor it!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

a friendly penguin posted:

In, gimme all the things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FEDrU85FLE

flash: its 1999, you and your best friend are about to go try to mack on chicks at the skatepark

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugC5HppR1FQ

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Simply Simon posted:

in, hell me baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvS351QKFV4

hell rule: whoa how did you time traveling power rangers end up here!?

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 16, 2021

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

lol you made the dumbass mistake of saying you lived here so heres unironically one of my favorite songs by a local band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGH2h2paY0

hellrule: show me that you lived here ten years. consider the mic dropped. now its time for you to PICK IT UP PICK IT UP PICK IT UP

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAMWdvo71ls

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIpRdbi9pYw

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

curlingiron posted:

I will probably regret this, but in and :toxx:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8izXHKZSXw

toxxrule: your people are professional wrestlers with unique gimmicks. i wanna see some gossip girl for meatheads poo poo. write the world's greatest promo

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

oooooooooooo baby, have i got some sweetness for you. one of your people fuckin crushed it at the gig last night. its the next morning and theyre unable to speak because they blew out their voice last night. or something. who knows. one of your people is for sure, mute though.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

IN

GIVE ME ALL OF THE THINGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWcSSDtSz0o

hellrule: oh no youve been cursed by a wild wes anderson. write the quirkiest bullshit you can think of.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Flesnolk posted:

In, hellrule, and please post a cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh9Nlm16_m0
oh poo poo your people are members of the islamic caliphate in 1500

blessed be your journey, friend.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjTQqTGa3dQ
babe, you're not gonna believe this. you're bananas about bananas. i want every single bit has to feel like a tropical punch in the kiwis. dragonfruit4dragonfruit if u know what I mean. channel your inner graham greene.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Freudian posted:

In, hellrule, cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkIs37a2JE
uh. looks like your character is a sentient ai.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweiQukBM_k

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

NEW DEADLINE RULE

due to number of signups, and the fact that I actually have a real life with poo poo to do, i'm modifying the submit date

You have until Sunday midnight to submit BUT the real submit date is Saturday at midnight. . after which, the legal wordcount will drop by 100 words every 4 hours (800 words if you post at 4am sun). so if you're hitting me at midnight sunday that better be a real fuckin amazing 300 word story.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NRXx6U8ABQ

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6TLWqn82J4

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

pool is closed

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

this is the way

Simply Simon
- Dschingis Khan- Moskau - “Hospitality” 892 words
Points off for taking 6 paragraphs to get to a conversation. Worldbuilding is fine, but I was hoping you’d start off. Once you get to it, it’s fine and flows fine, but also, what is even happening in this story? It’ls a little incoherent. You did make a crazy little fever dream story out of it, but it just needs to pull together a little more.

Brotherly- Who See- Igranka - “Haunted Theater” 887 words
i too have seen westworld. im going to pretend I know what i’m talking about but something that was pointed out to me in my writing was how direct I need to write conversations. take out all the “maybe” “i guess” and show that indecsion in other, more direct ways. idk to me it just comes off clumsy in an otherwise pretty good story.

Nae- Vanessa Paradis- Joe Le Taxi- “The Traveling Sommellier” 898 words
drat. Another story I realy wanted to like more than I did. Dialogue flows like a waterfall but the ending’s kind of strange. i wanted there to be a little more unsettling stuff in the leadup to kind of
smooth it out more

nut- “claudja barry- boogie woogie- “boogie woogie” 900 words DISQUALIFIED
ok this is the first one across my desk that nailed it in an interesting and fun way but then you hosed up and edited your entry and that ending is bad so this is sadly, a DQ. this had so much gosh darn potential and would’ve won if you hadn’t hosed up.

a friendly penguin- crazytown- butterfly- “wiped out” word cout 654 DISHONORABLE MENTION
i know i said tell don’t show but the descriptive actions here feel off. its a little too “hello fellow kids” this is all sizzle no steak. lingo is on point but the story feels like it took a backseat to buzzword bingo.

sperglord firecock- stromae- tous le meme- “mess’ 831 words
ok maybe its because ive been reading some total genre trash this month but this story hit nicely and i’m here for it. the interplay between conversation and action is great here and this is kind of the spirit of what I was looking for here. spooky scary galaxy brain!

toanoradian- francky vincent- tu veux mon zizi “fruits outside heaven” 899 words WINNER
FRUITS FRUITS FRUITS. yeah fuckin this feels tropical and fresh i’m loving here for it. I think structurally you need some more window dressing here, but this is the first time i laughed on purpose while judging.

flerp- beastie boys- intergalactic- “so we keep on burning” 708 words
Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know. I got a telegram from thunderdome mods: "poster bad. Funeral tomorrow. Faithfully yours." That doesn't mean anything. Maybe it was yesterday.

BB2K- The Weeknd- Blinding Lights- “Blinding Lights” - 770 words LOSER
points off for chatlog format. if you’re gonna teleplay, teleplay. this is a filler scene in the american psycho hulu tv show, that again, could be cool, but you shouldve just full rear end done it play style.

curling iron- Shinsuke Nakamura theme- “MAN vs MACHINE: Elite Champion Ultra Belt Match, only on Pay-Per-View - 793 words HONORABLE MENTION
ok this is a judge pandering topic. the cool thing about this story is you started off the week with zero wrestling knowledge, and now you’re here. for knowing nothing you nail the swagger, and I enjoyed imagining these promos in my head.

Youruichi- Ladyhawke- Magic- Une Conversation Avec Mon Pere- 790 words WINNER
this is like a fine mahogany display cabinet. great detailing. this hits the whole my dinner with andre thing and I enjoyed the poo poo out of it. fruits was intense, but this was passionate and I thought the stronger writing of the two.

thranguy- blackout krew- put a donk on it- absent friends” 738 words
see this is another one I enjoyed for being a simple exchange between two people that was uncomplicated.its not particularly amazing but I think this is a strong no mention!

caligulakangaroo- dhoom 2- dhoom machale- “Mumbai on the Beacon [08/15/17]” 773 words
boston pandering++. gimmick game strong, but the story itself is iffy. i wanted more teleplay stuff, i think this with polish could’ve been a winner.

simbyotic- paula abdul- opposites attract- “matter and antimatter” 886 words DISQUALIFIED
DQ CITY BABY. my time is precious, babe and had you submitted on time this wouldve been cool, but sadly, you out! womp womp

chairchucker- a tribe called quest- scenario- “sheer force of will” - 322 words
this feels very reality bites until it doesnt. hate that ending tho.

hawklad- focus- hocus pocus- “marianna” 580 words DISHONORABLE MENTION
i like this standoff. simple, to the point. needs some refining of concept but you do some great scenery chewing for 580 words. more than one of us described it as boring. I don’t think its awful, I just wish had a little more clarity.

sparksbloom- big d and the kids table- noise complaint- “masshole” 497 words HONORABLE MENTION
oh yes pander city and im loving here for it. i like stories that i can imagine and this is exactly the kind of poo poo that would happen to me. story is meh/10 but you crushed the hellruleI was going to be shittiest about, so this is easly HM material.

idle amalgam- winger- headed for a heartbreak- “Hero of the horde” 500 words
yet another one I really wanted to like. the gimmick starts off promising and then kind of suffers in mediocrity, much like Winger. So if nothing else you hit the theme of the music video!

pththya-lyi- rick james- cold blooded- “snow woman” 297 words
drat. short. sweet. thank you for not making me read 600 more words. i mean that this was actually pretty well contained.

sebmojo- seal- kiss from a rose- sea birds- 300 words HONORABLE MENTION
ok you applied seal’s meter with great effect to this. i enjoyed this more than i really should’ve but for a bullshit nonsense story the gimmick was well played.

failures: mercedes, flesnolk, freudian, steeltoedsneakers

i have spoken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXDxF1BvlqM

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive