Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The mouths not matching the audio always kills dubs for me, just too distracting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If anglos put in 1/10th of the effort other countries put into dubs y'all wouldn't even notice.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No all dubs suck.

Multiple audio tracks is something the entire production has to be structured around for the end-result not to be very mediocre. It's also easier in some mediums than others.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Terriers is on Star in the UK. Will this be what finally gets me to watch it all the way through???

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nundizo posted:

Has there ever been a non-english show with a good dub?

Cowboy Bebop

I wanna say the English dub of Goodnight Mommy was very good, but it's been a very long time since I watched it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Trigun has a great dub.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hughmoris posted:

Been watching Avenue 5. Just finished up episode 8. Holy poo poo, that airlock scene.

Let me tell you, watching that premier a year ago, right as *gestures around* all of this was starting sure was A Thing.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Trigun has a great dub.

Wasn't it done by the same production company that did Cowboy Bebop? I think they did Outlaw Star as well? All fantastic.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Nundizo posted:

Eurotrash for all the location stuff from series 2 on (the first series has them doing serious voices and is sadly the only version that Channel 4 have to view, in a heavily censored form at that)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MiddleOne posted:

No all dubs suck.

lmao no

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All live-action dubs suck

The weirdest dub I can think of is the first Mad Max movie which is an English language film but they dubbed it with American actors.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bootleg VHSs of Chinese action movies with all the voices dubbed by one disinterested woman are my childhood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

The weirdest dub I can think of is the first Mad Max movie which is an English language film but they dubbed it with American actors.

Andie McDowell did a Tarzan movie in 1984 where they dubbed over her lines with Glen Close. Also for the first Hellboy movie the studio made GDT get a voice actor (David Hyde Pierce) for Abe instead of letting Doug Jones do it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Azhais posted:

The mouths not matching the audio always kills dubs for me, just too distracting

Interestingly I think this has gotten worse for me as technology has advanced. I parse it as a desync issue that I need to "fix", I don't recall having any issue as a kid. Though memory is funny so I won't say that as an absolute.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some day the film industry will try to convince us that using deepfakes to change mouth movements to match dubs is just as good as the real thing and the thought depresses me.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Some day the film industry will try to convince us that using deepfakes to change mouth movements to match dubs is just as good as the real thing and the thought depresses me.

We've had the technology all along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHw6ybWJHg

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

I didn't know about that, how bizarre. I don't remember the accents being heavy, and that decade gave us Crocodile Dundee and Outback Steakhouse, the US had kind of a thing for Australia at the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sumo posted:

We've had the technology all along

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHw6ybWJHg

Robert Smigel shoving a black spacer in between his front teeth to do Arnold, I loved that bit.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Let me tell you, watching that premier a year ago, right as *gestures around* all of this was starting sure was A Thing.

I bet. I didn't realize it is created by the guy who did Veep. If it would have premiered a few months later it would have landed a much bigger presence with the quarantine crowd I think. Also, I love that unsettling theme music that plays when poo poo is going sideways.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hughmoris posted:

I bet. I didn't realize it is created by the guy who did Veep. If it would have premiered a few months later it would have landed a much bigger presence with the quarantine crowd I think. Also, I love that unsettling theme music that plays when poo poo is going sideways.

The whole thing perfectly captured the zeitgeist of 2020, which is either amazing prescient or Americans are depressingly predictable. I suppose it can be both...

The recent stock market fiasco surrounding Gamestop felt like a show written by Iannucci. :ohdear:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

GreenNight posted:

Trigun has a great dub.

Ghost in the Shell SAC too

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

For me:

Animation = Dub (unless it's really badly done).
Live Action = Sub

I'm sure that probably annoys some people and is sacrilege, but my reasons are:

Animation usually has a more stylistic flair that I would like to appreciate without bouncing between watching the visuals and reading subtitles. Also, voice acting is usually a bit more 'larger than life' than live acting that benefits from localization a bit more.

There's been a few exceptions here and there, but I usually find I'm holding to that. For example, I found the first few episodes of this season's Attack on Titan a lot harder to follow (and appreciate the crazy visuals) reading the subs and ultimately decided to wait for Adult Swim to catch up with the dub.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Knick is on HBO now and holy crap it's good poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

The Knick is on HBO now and holy crap it's good poo poo

So loving good, and Andre Holland absolutely kills it and is rumored to be working with Soderberg on a third season.

Soderberg shot, edited, directed and composed the music for the whole series, it's very interesting to watch 20 episodes of a show with a single creative vision behind it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Banshee also just got added to HBO Max.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

So loving good, and Andre Holland absolutely kills it and is rumored to be working with Soderberg on a third season.

Soderberg shot, edited, directed and composed the music for the whole series, it's very interesting to watch 20 episodes of a show with a single creative vision behind it.

I'm only on episode 5 and yeah. I've always loved Clive Owen but everyone is just killing it. It reminds me of Deadwood in that way, where there's a singular vision and everyone is firing on all cylinders

Soderbergh's just great. I rewatched Logan Lucky just the other day too, such an underrated one of his

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bull3964 posted:

For me:

Animation = Dub (unless it's really badly done).
Live Action = Sub

I'm sure that probably annoys some people and is sacrilege, but my reasons are:

Animation usually has a more stylistic flair that I would like to appreciate without bouncing between watching the visuals and reading subtitles. Also, voice acting is usually a bit more 'larger than life' than live acting that benefits from localization a bit more.

That's generally where I land too. My brain doesn't like it when voices don't match the person. With an actual human performing, the voice and the actions are a lot more inextricably linked than with animation. Audio being massively out of sync bugs me for the same reason. So subs for live action, dubs, if they aren't total garbage, for animation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The main nurse in that show? Bono's irl daughter.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Trying out Peacock and God drat it why is this the only streaming service to show Rotten Tomatoes scores! :argh:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

The main nurse in that show? Bono's irl daughter.

:psyduck:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Uhh, no. That was definitely Cliff Martinez.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh well never mind, gently caress Soderberg, lazy hack.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Oh well never mind, gently caress Soderberg, lazy hack.

Ha! I just love Martinez.

Soderberg is one of the hardest working directors out there -- he did two HBO shows and a movie in one year. And he's always his cinematographer.

Hope we finally get this black and white season of The Knick they've been threatening to do for ages.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Aardvark! posted:

Trying out Peacock and God drat it why is this the only streaming service to show Rotten Tomatoes scores! :argh:

Because RT scores are worthless

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Because RT scores are worthless

I've been using them for years just for a ballpark of "should I bother watching this" to filter out really boring poo poo, and I'm happy with the results of it. :shrug: I definitely don't think the ratings are a meaningful way to compare two movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nundizo posted:

Ghost in the Shell?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
But to be fair you have a lot more room to finesse the translation with anime lip flaps than you do with real life stuff.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just put most of the shows that get recommended here or a couple other threads into a big spreadsheet, and then watch a couple eps years later to see if they're actually good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

But to be fair you have a lot more room to finesse the translation with anime lip flaps than you do with real life stuff.

There was a documentary about dubbing on the Special Edition of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", and the audio engineer talks about how, with good dubs, not only does he have to translate the dialogue in English before recording the dub, he then has to rewrite the dialogue to find words that mean the same, but also have the same amount of syllables so they match the lip movements on camera.

(Also Eastwood, in his third go around working with Leone, telling Eli Wallach keeps precise notes on any dialogue changes they made when filming, so they would have notes when it came time to do the English dub, since: a) Their dialogue track taken during filming would be discarded, and b) No one else on the film crew was going to bother to take the notes for them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just in case Twitter fixes it.