Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DrVenkman posted:

This is what Simon said in the middle of rioting over Freddie Gray's death

This was also echoed by Gray's family by the way. So gently caress them too I guess. Essentially the point is that riots are used for justification to not give people what they're asking for.

Being peaceful and obedient hasn't worked, at least people paid attention when rich people's poo poo got burned. No support from Annapolis? Never has been, why would that change if they didn't riot?

The city had been systematically disinvested in for as long as I can remember. Google maryland red line. Our rear end in a top hat gov killed a light rail project that would've been really good for the city so he could shunt the money towards expanding highways in richer, whiter parts of the state. Tip of the iceberg there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The only good cops in The Wire are the ones that leave to become school teachers or adopt the children of incarcerated drug dealers. Attempting to improve things through police work is consistently portrayed as naive at best.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

This is what Simon said in the middle of rioting over Freddie Gray's death

This was also echoed by Gray's family by the way. So gently caress them too I guess. Essentially the point is that riots are used for justification to not give people what they're asking for.

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1141552995563462656?s=19

This “brick in the hand” bullshit would be more convincing if cops didn’t have guns. Or if Freddie Gray had actually done something wrong.

People don’t get what they want without riots.

Simon is a bootlicker.

As far as Gray’s family is concerned? They’re trying to survive.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

IRQ posted:

Being peaceful and obedient hasn't worked, at least people paid attention when rich people's poo poo got burned. No support from Annapolis? Never has been, why would that change if they didn't riot?

The city had been systematically disinvested in for as long as I can remember. Google maryland red line. Our rear end in a top hat gov killed a light rail project that would've been really good for the city so he could shunt the money towards expanding highways in richer, whiter parts of the state. Tip of the iceberg there too.

Well yeah, but Simon's post was made at a time when people had the right eyes and ears on them. He even says they should carry on protesting but that rioting is going to kill any support they might have a chance of getting, which is what happened.

Maybe he feels different about it now given it was ten years ago in 2019, but it's hardly some damning indictment of Simon. Can rioting work? Of course it can. But I'm not going to drag someone for recognising when it won't.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i know its old but i have put off watching it so can yall please not post a bunch of specific plot poo poo about the wire without spoiler tags

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slamhound posted:

This “brick in the hand” bullshit would be more convincing if cops didn’t have guns. Or if Freddie Gray had actually done something wrong.

People don’t get what they want without riots.

Simon is a bootlicker.

As far as Gray’s family is concerned? They’re trying to survive.

I've protested. I've rioted. Both have gotten a result. Recognising when one is going to work and one isn't, isn't in fact bootlicking.

Anyway, hadn't you better get around to actually watching that TV show you keep arguing about.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Project Greenlight getting a revival focused on female filmmakers and led by Issa Rae. I will watch this!

Rhyno posted:

Let's talk about some serious crimes against humanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EGVP-CZPWs

What's wrong with it? I enjoyed Wonder Years enough when I caught episodes here and there, but it's not some sacrosanct thing to me. Nothing in that trailer looks exciting, but it nails the nostalgia and seems charming enough.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Hamsterdam is presented as an alternative to War on Drugs policing, and it gets shut down despite showing good results because of PR. You have actually seen the Wire yes?

In other words, “Let’s try this so long as it proves that we shouldn’t have tried this.”

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

What's wrong with it? I enjoyed Wonder Years enough when I caught episodes here and there, but it's not some sacrosanct thing to me. Nothing in that trailer looks exciting, but it nails the nostalgia and seems charming enough.

I thought it looked pretty good. I'll give it a watch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slamhound posted:

In other words, “Let’s try this so long as it proves that we shouldn’t have tried this.”

Yeah, I don't think you've seen it.

The danger of sitting around in political doomthreads chanting "hellworld, hellworld, hellworld" at each other is that it gives you brain worms that gaslight you into thinking that the Wire is pro-police.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Well yeah, but Simon's post was made at a time when people had the right eyes and ears on them. He even says they should carry on protesting but that rioting is going to kill any support they might have a chance of getting, which is what happened.

Maybe he feels different about it now given it was ten years ago in 2019, but it's hardly some damning indictment of Simon. Can rioting work? Of course it can. But I'm not going to drag someone for recognising when it won't.

The idea that it’s people who start riots and not the cops is straight up fascist bullshit.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Desperately searching wire+copaganda for more material.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Slamhound posted:

That’s not remotely what it means or even what happens in relation to hamsterdam. I’d post plot details but I don’t want to spoil the show for your first watch.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Yeah, I don't think you've seen it.

The danger of sitting around in political doomthreads chanting "hellworld, hellworld, hellworld" at each other is that it gives you brain worms that gaslight you into thinking that the Wire is pro-police.
Copaganda isn’t a matter of being pro-police, it’s insisting that the police are necessary.

Also, that’s not what gaslight means.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I finished up Girls5Eva. Fantastic show which I highly recommend if you like 30 Rock or Kimmy Schmidt humor. It's a shame its tucked away on Peacock as I think it would be a monster hit if it was on Netflix or something else.

Another thing I like about the show is that it exposed me to some Broadway talent like Renee Elise Goldsberry and Andrew Rannells.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slamhound posted:

Copaganda isn’t a matter of being pro-police, it’s insisting that the police are necessary.

Answer this question directly: Have you seen The Wire?

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

Answer this question directly: Have you seen The Wire?

Yes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

How many episodes?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slamhound posted:

No it isn't.

quote:

Copaganda typically encompasses things like fictionalised, positive TV depictions of police officers, heartfelt social media posts made by police departments, and videos of cops kneeling with anti-police brutality protestors; it is all the media made in an effort to show police as being uncomplicatedly friendly, heroic, and good. But these one-dimensional displays actually do harm by presenting cops as being solely friends and allies to the public at-large, rather than offering a truthful depiction of the deeply violent and racist nature of police work in America.

Granted people can argue beyond that but the idea is very much how the police are portrayed in popular media. Always essentially good where the bad apples are weeded out. It's the idea of presenting the police *uncritically* that's Copaganda.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 18, 2021

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'm sorry I only accept the OED definition of copaganda.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Slamhound posted:

Claiming that The System is busted is a major feature of copaganda. It allows individual cops to do “whatever it takes” to get the job done. Things like inventing a serial killer. But it’s not their fault, it’s The System.

Agreed, one of the most common takeaways people seemed to have when they were praising The Wire for its realism (and to a lesser extent Homicide: Life on the Streets) was going "wow, cops actually have it really hard and it's so unfair that they can put in so much work and not get any results", which is basically halfway to complaining about civil rights and regulations getting in the way of Getting The Job Done.

And Simon being an embedded reporter with the police is where a lot of the stuff from his shows comes from and it absolutely colors his perceptions in favor of the cops. Its why both Homicide and The Wire have scenes about the police terrifying a criminal into thinking a copy machine is a lie detector so they can bully them into signing a confession and present it as a piece of police ingenuity and criminals being dumb, because its a thing that actually happened that he witnessed and walked away admiring. Same with the bottle episode of Homicide where the cops are alone with a suspect who is exercising his right to remain silent and its presented as a ticking timebomb where they need to beat a confession out of him before his lawyer arrives and he gets away to commit more crimes.

The broad thesis of The Wire is about individuals being failed by institutions that served us in the past, and the institution of the police is accepted as a good and necessary thing that just needs to be fixed back to its former glory which is a concept that is both inherently and literally pro-police.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
New Paul Feig mockumentary series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzJWIGGo40U

:chloe:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

How many episodes?
All of them, you dipshit.

DrVenkman posted:

No it isn't.

Granted people can argue beyond that but the idea is very much how the police are portrayed in popular media. Always essentially good where the bad apples are weeded out. It's the idea of presenting the police *uncritically* that's Copaganda.
Shut the gently caress up, you tedious dullard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here’s a trailer for non-Americans:

https://youtu.be/nzQqSZq4ayE

Aya Cash is in it so I’ll watch every episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Seems like this meltdown is going well for you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sorting Algorithms posted:

And Simon being an embedded reporter with the police is where a lot of the stuff from his shows comes from and it absolutely colors his perceptions in favor of the cops. Its why both Homicide and The Wire have scenes about the police terrifying a criminal into thinking a copy machine is a lie detector so they can bully them into signing a confession and present it as a piece of police ingenuity and criminals being dumb, because its a thing that actually happened that he witnessed and walked away admiring.

Sure if you somehow watched that scene and thought "wow that was a cool thing to do" instead of "wow this is a hosed thing to do"

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Glad to see the culture has taken a slide back into 'depiction is endorsement'.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Seems like this meltdown is going well for you.

Why should David Simon stop tweeting?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slamhound posted:

But I don't want to.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

Cos he just gets baited into dumbass arguments too easily and embarrasses himself. Nothing like what you were suggesting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Slamhound posted:

The same reason you should stop posting

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sorting Algorithms posted:

Agreed, one of the most common takeaways people seemed to have when they were praising The Wire for its realism (and to a lesser extent Homicide: Life on the Streets) was going "wow, cops actually have it really hard and it's so unfair that they can put in so much work and not get any results", which is basically halfway to complaining about civil rights and regulations getting in the way of Getting The Job Done.

And Simon being an embedded reporter with the police is where a lot of the stuff from his shows comes from and it absolutely colors his perceptions in favor of the cops. Its why both Homicide and The Wire have scenes about the police terrifying a criminal into thinking a copy machine is a lie detector so they can bully them into signing a confession and present it as a piece of police ingenuity and criminals being dumb, because its a thing that actually happened that he witnessed and walked away admiring. Same with the bottle episode of Homicide where the cops are alone with a suspect who is exercising his right to remain silent and its presented as a ticking timebomb where they need to beat a confession out of him before his lawyer arrives and he gets away to commit more crimes.

The broad thesis of The Wire is about individuals being failed by institutions that served us in the past, and the institution of the police is accepted as a good and necessary thing that just needs to be fixed back to its former glory which is a concept that is both inherently and literally pro-police.

This seems like making up a guy to get mad at, because I've never heard that, but setting that aside, proclaiming any cop show that isn't explicitly about police abolition to be copaganda is, uh, well it's an extremely fringe position.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Cos he just gets baited into dumbass arguments too easily and embarrasses himself. Nothing like what you were suggesting.

He gets baited into dumbass arguments like telling black people they should go back home when cops murder a guy for no reason?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

An old buddy of mine is in this! I hope it’s good and goes for six seasons and he gets to make lots of money! :)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

This seems like making up a guy to get mad at, because I've never heard that, but setting that aside, proclaiming any cop show that isn't explicitly about police abolition to be copaganda is, uh, well it's an extremely fringe position.

But not necessarily entirely incorrect.

What would we call it then, to tacitly support a thing through representation? I'm genuinely asking because I think the term copaganda would be better applied to shows like, SVU. But all the same, portraying a thing as it currently exists as a necessary part of society does on some level support that thing as it currently exists. Copalaboration? Really rolls of the tongue doesn't it?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slamhound posted:

He gets baited into dumbass arguments like telling black people they should go back home when cops murder a guy for no reason?

No. You're as bad at this as watching the TV show THE WIRE.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Seriously, how are you all not aware of how enamored David Simon is with the police?

You know that scene where McNulty and Bunk solve a cold case while only saying “gently caress?” That’s him reveling in how awesome the police are! They just keep saying “gently caress!”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slamhound posted:

No.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Slamhound posted:

Seriously, how are you all not aware of how enamored David Simon is with the police?

You know that scene where McNulty and Bunk solve a cold case while only saying “gently caress?” That’s him reveling in how awesome the police are! They just keep saying “gently caress!”

DrVenkman posted:

Glad to see the culture has taken a slide back into 'depiction is endorsement'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Slamhound posted:

Oh okay he's just doing a bit.

We can move on.