Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can see both ways.

I liked it as a kid (would have been 8 when it started), but my parents (who had control of the TV) would have been just a little older than the main characters during that time.

So, it was kind of a bonding experience in that my parents were sharing how things were when they were kids.

Times are different now though. Families aren't gathered around the single TV in the house at 8pm on a weekday so no matter what the experience wouldn't be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was trying to figure out why I expected Chris Rock to do the narration and then I remembered that Everybody Hates Chris was a thing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's network tv. They're chasing the same boomers they wanted in the 80s.

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno. I loved Wonder Years as a kid and I had no familiarity at all with the 60s. Its just a setting for a coming of age story. Its also a tumultuous enough setting that's far enough past us that you can work with it without much controversy. I dunno if this is gonna be any good but I don't think it inherently becomes better if you set it in 2000.

Ah yes, the tumult-free 2000s.

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Ah yes, the tumult-free 2000s.

Ah yes, reading comprehension.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've seen way too many coming of age stories about young boys set in the 50s/60s for an entire lifetime. So many writers and directors just made their midlife crisis into films in the 80s and 90s. And people spent the last 10 years doing the same for the 80s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyBUK4D5z5s
Miracle Workers is back with Miracle Workers: Oregon Trail

Also Adult Swim has announced a series of spin off digital shorts featuring Rick and Morty's Vindicators, Robot Chicken's Alabama Jackson which is about a time traveling character played by Donald Faison, ATHF's Aquadonk Side Pieces which will follow the show's many villains when they're not dealing with the main cast and Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell the animated series which is apparently how they're continuing the show as the show description says this will be taking the place of a fifth season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno. I loved Wonder Years as a kid and I had no familiarity at all with the 60s. Its just a setting for a coming of age story. Its also a tumultuous enough setting that's far enough past us that you can work with it without much controversy. I dunno if this is gonna be any good but I don't think it inherently becomes better if you set it in 2000.

I'd say the 80s or better yet the 90s. I dunno the 60s is such a removed era from now in a way that it wasn't in the 90s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

Anyone who watched Person of Interest might be interested in listening to the latest episode of QanonAnonymous Podcast to find out how batshit insane Jim Caviezel is these days.

Highlights (only 30minutes into it) include:
On set of the Passion of Christ he told the showrunner he 'technically' is Jesus
During PoI he caused the dog to bite him and they had to replace that dog
He got banned from driving any car after he drove through a red light and almost hit 5 pedestrians because 'his character wouldn't of stopped at it'
He got mad when they switched to CGI for gun fights instead of blanks because the crew didn't trust him

https://soundcloud.com/qanonanonymous/episode-143-jim-caviezel-enter-the-cavortex-feat-dave-anthony

Edit: Given the name of the podcast Caviezel is a believer into all the child trafficking's conspiracies and adrenochrome stuff.

Halfway through the episode and absolutely have to recommend it to anyone who watched Person of Interest and wants to hear about how on set Caviezel repeatedly got in trouble for imitating Hitler on set, forgetting lines, choking other actors, claiming to be a Navy SEAL, wanting to torture people, and angrily denouncing gays and Jews.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

quote:

Jon Bernthal, Josh Charles and Jamie Hector have been tapped as the leads of HBO’s We Own This City limited series, from The Wire’s EP David Simon and producer George Pelecanos. Reinaldo Marcus Green (Monsters and Men) is set to direct and executive produce the series, based on Baltimore Sun reporter Justin Fenton’s book We Own This City: A True Story of Crime, Cops and Corruption. Production is set to begin in July.

The six-hour limited series chronicles the rise and fall of the Baltimore Police Department’s Gun Trace Task Force — and the corruption and moral collapse that befell an American city in which the policies of drug prohibition and mass arrest were championed at the expense of actual police work.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/jon-be...nos-1234760330/

I'm assuming Marlo Stanfield actor is playing a cop this time around. Going to be weird.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Brace for more copaganda

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm giving up on Mythic Quest season 2. I think the writers blew their load on the fantastic COVID episode and the indie romance episode. It's just boring now.

That's a hard disagree from me. This season has been super strong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyBUK4D5z5s

Also Adult Swim has announced a series of spin off digital shorts featuring Rick and Morty's Vindicators, Robot Chicken's Alabama Jackson which is about a time traveling character played by Donald Faison, ATHF's Aquadonk Side Pieces which will follow the show's many villains when they're not dealing with the main cast and Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell the animated series which is apparently how they're continuing the show as the show description says this will be taking the place of a fifth season.

I guess the Hell cast really did get sick of the makeup lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

That's a hard disagree from me. This season has been super strong.

Yeah it's been loving great.

Charlotte Nicdao is a treasure.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, add me to the list of people enjoying Mythic Quest this season. Though if I did have one complaint, it's that sometimes the Jo character is written a bit broadly, but I also think she's had two strong stories this season so even that's not a complete minus.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Why would they make a Vindicators spinoff of Rick and Morty, that episode wasn't even very good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

https://deadline.com/2021/05/jon-be...nos-1234760330/

I'm assuming Marlo Stanfield actor is playing a cop this time around. Going to be weird.

Jamie Hector is a cop in Bosch

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

People have been clamouring for a "funny" Little House on the Prairie show for ages now, a lot of good people really want that show, maybe even with the original cast and not funny. But this seems worth a shot even if it isn't what everyone's been asking for

It also says Dan Harmon has contacted Kanye to make an episode of something that ties into R&M? I can no longer think of Kanye without thinking of the Robert Kardashian hologram terror.

Arist posted:

Why would they make a Vindicators spinoff of Rick and Morty, that episode wasn't even very good

It's one of the meanest episodes, rick's nadir, and maybe felt a little like the creators themselves were getting sick of rick but also couldn't stop. Outside of that episode it's just a galactic-level superhero squad with dysfunction, my guess would be just "their style" superhero cartoon.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 20, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

drat, Paul Mooney died today as well. He was Richard Pryor's writing partner but most of us would recognize him as Negrodamus from Chappelle Show.

And according to Reddit, a racist piece of poo poo who raped Pryor's son, so, uh, good riddance I guess?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
You should have stopped at "according to Reddit"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Vindicators was not a great episode. Weird choice for a spin-off.

Maybe only Open Source Idiom and I are the only ones who will care about this but Chad got renewed! Caught up with it yesterday and I’m very glad I did, it definitely finds itself quickly around the halfway point of the season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This Adventure Time episode is loving sick. It is I, your nemesis: TIFFANY! And the setting, is just so so well done.

The Treetrunks cameo felt surprisingly emotional, given how brief and incidental it was.

Khanstant posted:

It's one of the meanest episodes, rick's nadir, and maybe felt a little like the creators themselves were getting sick of rick but also couldn't stop.

Yeah, that's a really good way of putting it. The Rick reveal at the end has always felt weird to me, in just how utterly contemptuous it is for the character.

And yet his meanness is such an essential part of the show, particularly early on. The show was very, very mean. I sometimes wonder if the show's lightening up recently is just the calm before the storm, to make the next bought of meanness far more effective. Everyone's becoming likable, everyone's becoming competent. And we're less than halfway through the show still.

A sixty episode renewal is exciting. I'm pretty excited for Season 5.

Escobarbarian posted:

Maybe only Open Source Idiom and I are the only ones who will care about this but Chad got renewed! Caught up with it yesterday and I’m very glad I did, it definitely finds itself quickly around the halfway point of the season.

What? That's loving awesome. It's such a nice premise inside a niche premise, but it's really loving good.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
"Everyone knows all cops are bastards. What my show presupposes is... maybe they're not?"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

"Everyone knows all cops are bastards. What my show presupposes is... maybe they're not?"

Sounds like copaganda to me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BreaWgB91QM

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Slamhound posted:

Sounds like copaganda to me.

I wish I could watch Brooklyn 99 without feeling icky :(

Strangely, I have no problem with No Activity, other than the terrible decision to animate the latest season

Sorting Algorithms
Feb 7, 2021

Escobarbarian posted:

Fandom people loved it because it introduced a large group of new characters with established personalities and relationships and costumes, I remember Adult Swim showing off cosplay and fanart during the bumpers in the weeks after the show aired. That's probably when they started pitching the spinoff and its only just now gotten far enough to announce.

I feel like the most common Rick & Morty fan trajectory in my friend group is everyone tapping out after Elon Musk played himself in an episode but Vindicators was definitely one of the last straws in terms of establishing that the show was no longer for me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Simone Magus posted:

Strangely, I have no problem with No Activity, other than the terrible decision to animate the latest season

I love the cast but man it's a gross show in more ways than you'd imagine

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

No Activity is weird for me because I loved the first two seasons, especially the Jessica Alba episode which was absolutely nuts (seriously, if you haven’t seen it you should watch it and don’t worry about context, it works as a stand-alone), but by season 3 I just couldn’t sustain interest. And I think the main reason is because the Tim Meadows character just began to grate on me. I usually like him, but he was too cartoonish; it always seemed like he was a character in a different show and it interfered with the show’s flow.

The decision to animate seems like a purely COVID one which is helped by the show being mostly static conversations in isolated spaces. But if it’s literally a cartoon, I may give it a try.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No Activity season 4 started out pretty bad and has gotten a lot better but man, I really wish it wasn’t animated. It looks awful, as fun as it can be to see cartoon versions of the regulars. Hannah Simone is great in this season and I really wish she’d been able to give that performance in live-action. Same with Will Forte.

Open Source Idiom posted:

This Adventure Time episode is loving sick.

It’s SO good. So much weirder than I was expecting, and they managed to make the stretches that are largely a bunch of fanservice actually work???? and that ending, god, I cried so hard

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think the animated nature takes quite a bit away from it since the actors that play the roles are animated in their own right and those nuances are a bit lost.

That said, credit to the animators, they did nail a lot of physical mannerisms.

As an aside, I always find it weird how sometime can get into a 3rd season of a show (and especially a 22 minute one) and make a conscious decision of "No, I'm done" rather than just naturally fall off out of apathy.

The later I fully understand, the former just seems bizarre.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve done that a few times. Just watch the season premiere and be like “nah I don’t want any more of this”. It’s how I stopped watching Modern Family and This Is Us - no big loss, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can’t tell if copaganda is some kind of high level meme or if people are actually upset about tv shows where the cops are imperfect (like all people) but ultimately good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oasx posted:

I can’t tell if copaganda is some kind of high level meme or if people are actually upset about tv shows where the cops are imperfect (like all people) but ultimately good.

Yes people are really mad that a comedy where police detectives who hold annual Halloween competitions and routinely ignore their police duties is the only thing standing between us and complete police abolition.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 20, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I still watch Brooklyn 99 because I like the characters and they're not real cops and I hate the real police and hope to see a time in my life where they are abolished and their budgets used to help people struggling with mental illness, addiction, poverty, and homelessness.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oasx posted:

No meme, unless you've somehow missed the last two years of american politics. American cop TV-shows have been political in their portrayal of policing from the very start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhDawfCLHo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's not that TV cops are flawed people it's that they're typically portrayed as the only thing keeping everyone from raping and murdering each other so it's okay when they violate pesky little things like civil rights and outright murder innocent people. The whole thin blue line mentality is bullshit that's been reenforced for decades through media portrayal and, dare I say it, copaganda.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess that's a problem if you think that TV programs are real.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Im gonna eat the rear end of the next person to say copaganda . But in a bad way.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

zoux posted:

I guess that's a problem if you think that TV programs are real.
If we've learned anything in the past few years is that a sizable amount of Americans think TV shows are real, a large enough amount to put dictators into power and kill hundreds of thousands of fellow Americans and not even think anything is wrong with that.

The question is, what is to be done about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like The Rookie.