Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its labeled as a spin off but still stars Titus Welliver so...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just a way to pay low salaries again

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Bosch: the nontraditional college years

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The only two returning characters are Bosch and his daughter if I remember correctly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

The only two returning characters are Bosch and his daughter if I remember correctly.

And the lawyer lady. Likely cameos from the Bosch cast.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Escobarbarian posted:

David Simon has grudges from his time as a reporter and that’s basically it

Matt Zerella posted:

All the interesting stuff in season 5 is outside of the cops/newsroom. You can skip it.

And galvanize your hate for Herc.

I figured as much- thanks. I'd heard S5 was atypically weak for the series and, as soon as it started with Grumpy Editor/Beat Writer/whatever he is, I felt like this was David Simon using the show as an outlet to vent from his time as a writer.

And god drat, John Doman may end up being my favorite actor from this show. Rawls is an rear end in a top hat, but he plays it so well and is a dude who seems like he'd be a fascinating guy to talk to.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Watching Fresh Fried and Crispy, the fast food show on Netflix from that youtube guy. Some gorgeous food, but annoys me so much how the guy takes the salad of all his burgers before he eats them. Don't get a food show if your a picky eater! He food review knowledge also seems to just be commenting on the how light the batter is for anything he enjoys.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Daym Drops guy got a Netflix show? I remember a few years ago he got super worried about his weight and said he was going to stop doing so many fast food videos but it looks like he went right back to it when views started dropping.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I liked the newspaper stuff in the Wire but I'm interested in the business. It's a neat moment in time to visit, like watching a herd of dinosaurs try to fathom the giant mushroom cloud caused by the asteroid that will eventually kill them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Making It is so loveable and wholesome I’m very glad it’s back. It’s truly the non-poo poo Bake-Off

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been psyched for this since I heard about it last year, and god the aesthetics are on loving point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKG0RodrzVo

Woo!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Oh man that would scratch my galavant itch

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

Oh man that would scratch my galavant itch

Saaaaame I'm totally watching that. I do miss Galavant :cry: :cry:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I liked the newspaper stuff in the Wire but I'm interested in the business. It's a neat moment in time to visit, like watching a herd of dinosaurs try to fathom the giant mushroom cloud caused by the asteroid that will eventually kill them.

And now Buzzfeed is worth 1.5 billion bucks and is a credible news source. So weird.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the release of the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again", which is an opportune time to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
CSI Miami was the best CSI.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I started watching a National Geographic documentary about Egyptian archaeology. The first episode about King Tut was good. All the known artifacts related to King Tut across Egypt were being transferred to a museum in Cairo, intended to be united forever in a single exhibit, so one part of it followed a security convoy transferring those artifacts. Another part of it followed someone excavating a mine where Egypt was getting the gold for its pyramids. The foreman was a teenager like Tut, buried with a model boat (related to Egyptian belief in a boat which sails toward the afterlife). The third part of it followed a team using drones for an aerial survey of the Valley of the Kings, the location where Egyptian pharaohs started being buried in cliffsides after Egyptians stopped building pyramids.

However, I can tell the rest of this six-part series is going to be hard to follow, because the editors insisted on switching back and forth between three teams in each episode, and I'm probably not going to remember all the names associated and who's doing what. That style of storytelling works for most shows, but I don't think it works when all three stories are in the same location and following a dozen people each to whom you were just introduced.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

For All Mankind is extremely moreish. That RDM fellow knows how to run a television program.

Everybody just memory-holed Helix...

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it holds up really well except some of the cell phone and text message stuff is so goofy. And Brother Mouzone.

He was based on various real people.

The newspaper season of The Wire is good for showing exactly why we are all completely hosed, twenty years later...

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hawkperson posted:

Saaaaame I'm totally watching that. I do miss Galavant :cry: :cry:

Sad and shocked it's not on any streaming service. Looks only on prime but you have to buy each season :(

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Everybody just memory-holed Helix...

Helix wasn't good, but it was completely bonkers and fun as hell.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

ShakeZula posted:

Helix wasn't good, but it was completely bonkers and fun as hell.

And it had Billy Campbell & Hiroyuki Sanada. How can you one not enjoy that?

Edit: Also had the best theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnzTgUc5ycc

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 27, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Moore only produced Helix, he didn't write a single episode.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Helix was one of the most preposterous Syfy shows ever and I miss it dearly.

The final season turned into Resident Evil 7.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Holy gently caress this Black Monday episode. Andrew Rannell's villain's turn is loving good.

Still think it's June Dianne Raphael.

Ooft the editing on this episode got really bad at the end there though.

Gonz posted:

Helix was one of the most preposterous Syfy shows ever and I miss it dearly.

The final season turned into Resident Evil 7.

It was basically Resident Evil, except it was really slow and didn't have any big dumb monsters. Which really misses what I love about Resident Evil.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 27, 2021

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Soup-to-nuts, Helix was a Goddamned mess. And not in a good way even though it had some good bits.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Not catching the Leftovers live, I missed the subgenre of people adding the theme to other scenes.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I've been hearing that I should check out Bosch and Barry. Given that the spheres of pop culture I'm in recommend those particular shows - are there any others I'm missing?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know anything about Bosch, but Barry is very good. Very dark and very funny.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing more...Happy! maybe?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oz!!!

Or wait were we talking intentional dark comedies.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Patriot is a good one.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Wayne

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been doing a rewatch of Regular Show, which turns out to be kind of hard to do because they made a fuckton of episodes (261.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was it just me or was nothing in that episode of Evil resolved?

VagueRant posted:

I've been hearing that I should check out Bosch and Barry. Given that the spheres of pop culture I'm in recommend those particular shows - are there any others I'm missing?

Wayne, Warrior, See, Patriot, Get Shorty, Berlin '83, Succession, Our Lady Ltd. Counterpart, The Deuce, Spartacus, Black Sails, The Wire, Rome.

Oh God, I'm a human Netflix algorithm.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

I've been doing a rewatch of Regular Show, which turns out to be kind of hard to do because they made a fuckton of episodes (261.)

Lmao, I just looked up how many episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants have aired since that show started in 1999 as a reference point. 267, only six more.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Was it just me or was nothing in that episode of Evil resolved?

It’s not just you (the thing with the angel possession needed at least one more scene to determine exactly what they were going for, like either “we can’t find the wife anywhere” or “oh here she is”) but as long as it keeps being this batshit and Michael Emerson keeps doing swears I don’t mind much

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arist posted:

Lmao, I just looked up how many episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants have aired since that show started in 1999 as a reference point. 267, only six more.

Regular Show is half the running time though

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, 261 is roughly the number of 11 minute episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're both 11 minute shows though???

E: oh, I see, miscommunication. One airs in fifteen minute chunks and the other is paired to make it thirty minutes.

Totally forgot that detail, whoops

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah, it’s the same thing with Adventure Time too right? I think they’re like…8 minute episodes or something crazy, even there are almost 300 episodes.