Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I lay it squarely on the shoulders of that fucker that blamed the sexual assaults on the women. I can't believe he had the gall to say "Well they shouldn't have taken their shirts off" right to the camera. gently caress that guy.

And also you know, gently caress Moby. Seems like he's an rear end in a top hat too, but for entirely different reasons.

Yeah I was pretty shocked to hear someone just flat out say, in 2021, "they were asking for it being dressed like that." On top of that it really sounds like they were selling the ppv show by showing a much of that as possible. Real class acts running that thing.

Moby had always been a pretentious rear end, he's only got like 1 good song too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The guys from Offspring seemed to be the only musicians they interviewed with any kind of awareness of how lovely it was. Both at the time in the old footage and now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

X-O posted:

I lay it squarely on the shoulders of that fucker that blamed the sexual assaults on the women. I can't believe he had the gall to say "Well they shouldn't have taken their shirts off" right to the camera. gently caress that guy.

And also you know, gently caress Moby. Seems like he's an rear end in a top hat too, but for entirely different reasons.

I’m actually watching the doc right now and it just got to this interview. Imagine the loving ego and lack of empathy to say something like that on the loving record and clearly not give a poo poo.

On the lighter less-horrifying side, I can’t stop giggling at all the pictures of dumb white guys covered in literal poo poo that they thought was mud. I’ve seen that a couple times at big festivals, but never to that oblivious extent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I believe that rear end in a top hat was the same guy giving the media poo poo in the archival footage. Remember when one of the guys complained about the security and he just said "If you can do better I'll pay you $1000 and hour" or something like that. That guy is just an all around piece of poo poo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Fred Dirst popularized the red baseball cap so really, he's to blame for the MAGA movement.

No wonder he's trying to change his image...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

X-O posted:

The guys from Offspring seemed to be the only musicians they interviewed with any kind of awareness of how lovely it was. Both at the time in the old footage and now.

I'm glad these dudes are cool. I've always been a huge fan even if their music has been hit or miss.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How the gently caress does the guy from the offspring have a phd in biology and also a rockstar and owns a hot sauce line. What am I doing.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He's also a pilot, I believe.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Mu Zeta posted:

How the gently caress does the guy from the offspring have a phd in biology and also a rockstar and owns a hot sauce line. What am I doing.

Check out the dudes from Bad Religion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dexter and the Offspring is amazing live. I got to hang out in a VIP lounge with them for like 4 minutes 20 years ago. Later I fell and hurt myself really badly while crowd surfing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They're still amazing live. If you get a chance to check them out on tour, I highly recommend it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GreenNight posted:

They're still amazing live. If you get a chance to check them out on tour, I highly recommend it.

Maybe after Covid.

SMASH was the first CD I bought with my own money. Great memories of that summer and that entire album still rocks from start to finish.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

He's also a pilot, I believe.

Yeah, he even flew solo around the world a few years back.

I never followed them much musically after my tastes changed but when I was a kid one of the better albums I remember listening to front to back was Smash. It was a couple years after it was big and my cousin had given it to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I never followed them much musically after my tastes changed but when I was a kid one of the better albums I remember listening to front to back was Smash. It was a couple years after it was big and my cousin had given it to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WanovkthKcA

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

Check out the dudes from Bad Religion.

The one who pulls out his wang on webcam with, I believe, underage girls?

---

Anyway so Hulu has a show starting in September called The Premise - described as 'Anthology series that uses the boldest issues of our times as a jumping off point to tell singular, character-driven stories about the world we live in today.', and oh boy these episode synopses sure are something:

quote:

When a white, woke, twenty-something ally to social justice causes discovers video evidence of a disputed police incident in the background of his highly embarrassing sex tape, a savvy young lawyer and her mentor strategize on how to best use the tape and witness to save an innocent man from prison.

quote:

After losing his daughter to gun violence, a grieving father pursues a new job as a PR director at the National Gun Lobby, where he’s befriended by a coworker who starts to suspect the man’s motives may be far more dangerous than they seem.

quote:

A pop megastar returns to his high school to pledge a donation to build a new library, but instead promises to have sex with the school’s valedictorian as an academic achievement prize. The promise inspires the disillusioned Abbi along with the rest of the student body, while the star’s manager and the school’s principal desperately try to walk back the promise.

quote:

A young woman with a happy life and loving partner becomes obsessed with a critical anonymous comment online, eventually upending her life in a quest for the commenter’s approval. Also starring Sylvia Grace Crim and Benjamin Clement.

quote:

A once-poor child of immigrants who has now become one of the world’s richest men presents a chance at redemption to his former school bully: an uninterrupted hour with his board of directors to pitch a very specific product.
(The episode title is 'Butt Plug')

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There was a song on the back half of the album called Killboy Powerhead that was stuck in my head for years and I remember going back like a decade later and listening to it and finally paying attention to the lyrics. Had no clue when I was listening to it what it was saying. Also had no idea it was a cover. Still catchy as gently caress though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I could totally buy Disney tanking Hulu's value so that Comcast hardly gets any money when they sell their third of ownership, only for Disney to pump up Hulu when they have 100% control.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

There was a song on the back half of the album called Killboy Powerhead that was stuck in my head for years and I remember going back like a decade later and listening to it and finally paying attention to the lyrics. Had no clue when I was listening to it what it was saying. Also had no idea it was a cover. Still catchy as gently caress though.

It's a killer cover. During the napster heyday there was a bunch of Offspring remixes out there, this one is off a later album but I still love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abeiu8zHGMw

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

X-O posted:

I lost track of them after the 90s, but Ixnay on the Hombre totally holds up too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Ignition then Ixney are my favorite Offspring albums. They had a new album earlier this year. It has some good songs and an acoustic cover of Gone Away but my only gripe is that it's too short.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Ixnay and Americana are both real good and Conspiracy of One/Splinter have some solid tracks. Anything after that should be ignored

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This Offspring cover of No Control by Bad Religion is kicking rad though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ZiO-OdO94

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Smash is all I really know, other than the radio stuff like Pretty Fly because you'd have had to have been in a coma to not hear that. Like I said I even came to Smash very late and my musical tastes changed not long after.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

This Offspring cover of No Control by Bad Religion is kicking rad though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ZiO-OdO94

Ooh yeah this is cool. No Control is for sure my favourite Bad Religion album and one of my favourite ever punk albums in general

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Americana was the start of the downturn for sure. Ixnay was quirky but didn't outdo it, Americana was more quirk than punk. The first 3 records easily the best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGdrlVShkmg

Extermely grotesque and visually captivating. Glad to see Phil Tippett bounce back after his disastrous term as dinosaur supervisor for Jurassic Park.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

incoherent posted:

I don't know if we have a STREAMING WARZZZZZ thread, but the first self dealing lawsuit was filed by none other than Scarjo.

Kind of weird one that could go to the studio with a sympatric judge. If they did release it during the pandemic she'd really get nothing because the take would have been abysmal. Disney probably hosed up when they charged roughly the equivalent of 2 theater tickets to watch it on D+ that I'm sure they're keeping.

They just outright broke their contract with her without ever re-negotiating, despite being on record as to having promised to do so. There better be some really loony clauses in that contract to navigate them out of an intentional breach in addition to acting in bad faith.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Disney has just been in a legal issue with a number of authors of Star Wars and Marvel books who wrote prior to the Disney purchase, and whom Disney just stopped paying residuals to after purchasing Marvel/Lucasfilm. They settled with the most prominent of them (Alan Dean Foster) but he wasn't alone in saying that Disney just stopped paying them. According to Disney, their legal argument was that when they bought Lucasfilm/etc., they bought the contract rights but not the legal requirement to pay residuals that were in those contracts.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So "the prince" launched on HBO, it's an animated comedy about the royal family that is neither funny nor interesting, it seems insane because the voice cast is all like A listers who thought this was a good idea?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

socialsecurity posted:

So "the prince" launched on HBO, it's an animated comedy about the royal family that is neither funny nor interesting, it seems insane because the voice cast is all like A listers who thought this was a good idea?

Cartoons can be made without anyone being near each other, so I guess they greenlit it because it was something they could make. Annoyed that HBO made that instead of figuring out a way to make more Venture Bros.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

First episode here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoqFGDpcGj0

I made it 2 minutes

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Why

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'll never forgive Family Guy for that art style being utterly loving ubiquitous. It was mediocre even when that show was good 20 years ago.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

Yeah I was pretty shocked to hear someone just flat out say, in 2021, "they were asking for it being dressed like that." On top of that it really sounds like they were selling the ppv show by showing a much of that as possible. Real class acts running that thing.

Moby had always been a pretentious rear end, he's only got like 1 good song too.

I will point out that the documentary didn't hesitate to show a lot of it either ( also I saw more of Flea than I ever wanted to). To be clear my problem is not who they blamed or how they present certain point of views about what is happening on the ground, it was more in relation to how they tried to touch on higher ideas of what is going in society. Things like Nirvana and Napster thing just felt out of place. Even the points they should be making they just never really connected the dots. It was pretty shallow in that regard. I've heard more useful insight on this forum. Still I will be watching what they ever come with next.

Also the Coachella thing at the end was just awful (felt like a commercial for it). They don't tell us that over 50 women said they were sexual assaulted at Coachella in 2018. Just shows society hasn't changed as much as we want to believe and it has little to do with the type of music.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did the entire planet just run out of ideas for how to draw original characters?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyway so Hulu has a show starting in September called The Premise - described as 'Anthology series that uses the boldest issues of our times as a jumping off point to tell singular, character-driven stories about the world we live in today.', and oh boy these episode synopses sure are something:

quote:

A young woman with a happy life and loving partner becomes obsessed with a critical anonymous comment online, eventually upending her life in a quest for the commenter’s approval. Also starring Sylvia Grace Crim and Benjamin Clement.

This is almost straight up a movie that just came out, The Columnist. Although in the movie the person isn't looking for approval.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Dave - who thought the small penis rapper show would be the realist poo poo out there

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Snowpiercer has already been renewed for a 4th season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Snowpiercer has already been renewed for a 4th season.

Is it just the plot of the movie stretched out really long? I don't really get what the point of a snowpiercer show is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They actually succeed in their revolution this time but then Sean Bean uses his Trumpian cult of personality and his willingness to press the red button that kills everyone to sabotage the new order.

Both the movie and TV show are based on a couple of comic books so I assume there's plenty of material to cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzzzJOHGwtU

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 30, 2021