Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just looked some YouTube clips and they're not it any favors, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been rewatching Patriot s1 and I genuinely think it’s a perfect season of television

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve been rewatching Patriot s1 and I genuinely think it’s a perfect season of television

:hfive:

I don't know how many times I've rewatched season 1. Definitely one of my favorite seasons of any show.

Also, I still have lots of songs from the show on my playlists. Charles Grodin might be my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1VSCdXFewI

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 31, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

TV Zombie posted:

The first episode of Black Summer season 2 is a bit manic. I think I liked season 1 so I feel like I will like this season but everything feels jarring right now.

Starting Leverage and it seems nice.

I'm not a fan of how they told the story this season but goddamn I loved the story itself. I almost bailed halfway through episode 2 and then it took off. I'm really not into zombie stuff after TWD but yeah this show rocks.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Escobarbarian posted:

mods pls rename me accordion pimp

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Evil is pretty good. it has, if not X-Files, then at least Fringe vibes

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
The Kareem Abdul-Jabbar episode of Dave is :lol: :stonk:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it's cool.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'd go so far as to say that it's pretty good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching an episode of Regular Show that has a surprising amount of fat shaming for some reason but also has a character who wears a poncho that says "Mud Waifu" on it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't even know how many times I've rewatched season 1 of Patriot but Double Great just kills me every single time. Season 2 was awesome and had some great songs as well but man, Double Great. ugh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Black Monday finale was very good. Idiom read this once you’ve watched it: I thought your killer guess made sense as soon as you said it, nice work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Black Monday finale was very good. Idiom read this once you’ve watched it: I thought your killer guess made sense as soon as you said it, nice work.

Yeah, it was really loving fun. If that's it for the show, then I'm happy, but I'd love to see them tackle the dot com bubble.

Everything with Ken Marino was gold, down to his inexplicable German accent, which I think came from nowhere and no one ever mentioned.

Also the gag where everyone keeps trying to play for time by getting the villain their explain their motives, in narcissistic detail, was so good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

I don't know how many times I've rewatched season 1. Definitely one of my favorite seasons of any show.

Also, I still have lots of songs from the show on my playlists. Charles Grodin might be my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1VSCdXFewI

Anybody seen Conrad’s new show the uhhhhhhh puppet crime musical?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes! It rules. Here’s the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3974859

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tried HBOs new reality show - FBOY Island. It seems ok but thought there would be more of a twist or *something* given the network, but just seems a straightforward elimination thing with nothing more to it. Hm.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's HBO Max so it doesn't really have any inherent quality. It's like any other streaming service.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only consistent thing with HBO Max is the terrible syncing of their subtitles

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just caught the finale of Sharp Objects.

Those end credit scenes. Yeesh.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hughmoris posted:

Just caught the finale of Sharp Objects.

Those end credit scenes. Yeesh.

Sharp objects is so underrated

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MTV turned 40 years old today. What did they show for their 40th birthday, you might ask? Well,

https://twitter.com/MTVSchedule/status/1421874687945150467

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
...do they have any other shows?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Milo and POTUS posted:

...do they have any other shows?
At least a few, though maybe they don't get Ridiculousness ratings or something.

I still watch Catfish The TV Show :shobon: Have for years. It's a guilty pleasure.

But man, sometimes I'll accidentally turn it on early to watch Catfish and catch part of Teen Mom and that show is just awful.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

3 episodes into The White Lotus and it's fantastic. Despite the luxury resort setting every single conversation is suffocating and it feels like anyone can snap at any moment. The music is by the guy that did Utopia and sounds like a tropical Brazilian nightmare. It's a vacation but they all feel trapped. It's a COVID show without being about COVID.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Rageaholic posted:

At least a few, though maybe they don't get Ridiculousness ratings or something.

I still watch Catfish The TV Show :shobon: Have for years. It's a guilty pleasure.

But man, sometimes I'll accidentally turn it on early to watch Catfish and catch part of Teen Mom and that show is just awful.

Back when I traveled a lot for work and had only hotel TV to go with, most late night/early morning MTV was either Ridiculousness on loop (bad) or Catfish on loop (good).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Mu Zeta posted:

3 episodes into The White Lotus and it's fantastic. Despite the luxury resort setting every single conversation is suffocating and it feels like anyone can snap at any moment. The music is by the guy that did Utopia and sounds like a tropical Brazilian nightmare. It's a vacation but they all feel trapped. It's a COVID show without being about COVID.

The White Lotus is a buffet for the senses.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I got a free month of Paramount+ and watched the first two episodes of The Stand. It's not bad, but not great either. I think the change from having it progress linearly to constantly jumping back and forth ultimately hurts it more than it adds anything. Also, as someone who always liked the first half of the story showing the collapse of society, the fact that they really cut that mostly out is disappointing. From what I can tell, the other seven episodes are all fully post-apocalyptic.

I do think it's funny that the guy playing Harold looks pretty close to the actor from the 1990s version. Also that they included the (voice of) the "Monsters are coming!" preacher, as I think he was invented for the 1990s version (though maybe I'm forgetting him from among the book's 10,000 characters).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

I got a free month of Paramount+ and watched the first two episodes of The Stand. It's not bad, but not great either. I think the change from having it progress linearly to constantly jumping back and forth ultimately hurts it more than it adds anything. Also, as someone who always liked the first half of the story showing the collapse of society, the fact that they really cut that mostly out is disappointing. From what I can tell, the other seven episodes are all fully post-apocalyptic.

I do think it's funny that the guy playing Harold looks pretty close to the actor from the 1990s version. Also that they included the (voice of) the "Monsters are coming!" preacher, as I think he was invented for the 1990s version (though maybe I'm forgetting him from among the book's 10,000 characters).

A lot of the early episodes were chopped up post covid. They filmed a lot of stuff that never made it to screen.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I would like to see a Venn diagram of people who attend Woodstock 99 and people who attend the capital riot on 1/6. There has to be some overlap since we are talking about a lot of white 40-somethings.

Chairman Capone posted:

You have already watched the peak of the series, because it is becomes really bad (hot garbage at the end). I do think the guy playing Harold does a great job (Parker Lewis Can't Lose played him in the 90's version), but focusing so much on him is one of the biggest mistakes the series makes. It is amazing despite being much shorter, the original mini-series did a better job with letting you get to know the characters. So many characters are barely given any depth at all that when they die you could care less. There is a heart tugging scene that works well not only in the book, but in the 90's version, that is just laughable because you have spent such little time with the characters. I bet there were people who were like who are these characters again?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 2, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

MTV turned 40 years old today. What did they show for their 40th birthday, you might ask? Well,

https://twitter.com/MTVSchedule/status/1421874687945150467

I saw one episode of this like five years ago and just it's idiots reacting to youtube videos why is it now MTVs only program

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't youtube basically give music videos a second lease on life?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

I saw one episode of this like five years ago and just it's idiots reacting to youtube videos why is it now MTVs only program

Do you even realize how incredibly cheap that is to film? Their entire production budget for the whole channel is probably half a mill...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Youtube is better than TV so of course putting Youtube on TV is one way to close that gap. I mean, I've always wondered why there wasn't a channel that just shows Youtube videos non-stop, like Goontube on Cable.

the mystery to me is paying anyone at all to be on that show/channel. I get having a little hype man who is 100% equally excited and amazed about anything and everything host a show, but I don't think youtube vids need that kind of hosting, except to prove legally that they are transforming the content and don't have to pay the original creators of the vid anything.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does MTV doing youtube reactions give them sway with youtube to put copyright strikes on the original video like Fox did when they grabbed a random youtube video of an NES basketball game to put on Family Guy?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah but I think the system is so broken you could probably get away doing the same thing without any proof of ownership.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dont worry guys we’ll have new beavis and butthead and daria any day now and they’ll be just as good as ever

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

dont worry guys we’ll have new beavis and butthead and daria any day now and they’ll be just as good as ever

Watching Tiktok / Youtube all day and doing reaction commentary over it honestly seems like a natural extension for Beavis and Butthead in 2021.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In the middle of season 6 of Community and I'm...enamoured? Honestly thought this show would be on its last legs after Troy left and season 5 lagged as a result. But they brought in new cameras, somehow more expensive looking production design, more grounded plots where even Abed seems more realistic, and extended runtimes, that make each episode feel a little more cinematic and less sitcom zane-y.

I mean, I love the zaniness of Community. But it's like Troy's departure sounded the death knell for the high concept, ludicrous situations so commonly found in the earlier seasons. And I'm pretty comfortable with that, as even that can get old eventually. No doubt, this means there's a high concept ludicrous situation coming up the next episode.

Really appreciated Paget Brewster's introduction, a level headed yet still very weird person who Abed even called out as being an auger for more grounded plotlines, stumbling into an ordinary plot device from say S2, a hidden illegal speakeasy run under the cafetoria, as ridiculous. It just seems appropriately earned.

Change is good!

Shame there's only few episodes left.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All Harmon’s seasons of Community are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

2>3>1>6>5>4

i think. probably. idk